Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

?? about police timing on private property

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ?? about police timing on private property
    Posted: 11/April/2007 at 5:50pm
Does anyone know if police can use their radar guns from private property to catch you speeding on a street?
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2007 at 5:55pm
Dont see why not, but they would have to leave if the owner told them to, unless they had a warrant or other legal permission.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2007 at 6:47pm
Was it a business or a residence that might make a differance.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2007 at 7:42pm
It was a business in Maywood.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2007 at 9:31pm
They run radar from the Aldis parking lot,so it must be legal or they ask first..but I'm going with legal.
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2007 at 10:53pm
Absolutely not if it is on privately owned property. The only exception being if the PD had consent from the owner.
It would be like a cop setting up surveillance on your property without asking you if it was Ok.

A speed trap is an official police activity. They can only do that on public or municipally owned property.

How do I know this? I was in traffic court in another suburb and someone's lawyer had a case thrown out under that situation. The judge asked the towns attorney if they had an agreement with the lot owner, and then dismissed it after the attorney said no. The cop was told not to set up speed traps on private property again.

Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2007 at 1:46am
OK, I learned something new. DC, maybe you should stop assuming that all people with authority are always doing the right thing or that there is some excuse for their behavior. I dont expect you to understand this, but your complete and utter ass kissing to the authorities would make you right at home in a totalitarian regime.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2007 at 8:41am
Admin, that is what I had always been led to believe. 

Guess I will call the business and see if they allow Maywood police to use their radar guns from their parking lot.

Edited by piehead - 12/April/2007 at 8:42am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2007 at 8:43am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Guess I will call the business and see if they allow Maywood police to use their radar guns from their parking lot.
pie, were you speeding last night? if so, why? please tell all.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2007 at 8:53am
Not me.  I take public transportation to and from work.  But be careful on Madison by the golf range.
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2007 at 9:14am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Admin, that is what I had always been led to believe.

The practice of conducting speed enforcement on private property is so common that most cops don't give it a second thought. People who get caught just pay the fines, which is probably why private property rights are ignored in these cases.

The one thing that has to be considered is whether the cop was set up in a public right-of-way, or if the spot was 100% privately owned.

I know the Riverside cops are especially liberal in setting up anywhere that is convenient for them. I've seen them clocking cars from a private lot on 1st avenue & 26th, and also from the RBHS parking lot. The school parking lot is owned by the school district and the school would have to give them permission to conduct traffic surveillance from there. I've also seen them doing it from the Forest Preserve District lots, but that would probably be considered as public or county property.

Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2007 at 9:20am
Well I called the place yesterday and they are privately owned but I did not ask if they allow police to set up speed traps from there.

I'm guessing traffic school is the best thing to do.  I hear it can be done on line on.  One of the guys in my office is doing it this weekend and will let me know if it's easier or less time then going to an actual class.

Edited by piehead - 12/April/2007 at 9:21am
Neighbor View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neighbor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2007 at 11:36pm
We once had to politely but firmly ask a cop to leave our driveway (clocking) because he was in a hidden position on our private property and I was expecting company to pull in shortly (and guess who's fault that "accident" would have ended up being - my friend's - jeez.)

Edited by Neighbor - 30/April/2007 at 1:32am
www.HomeCash.org - Earn Cash Online Simply & Legitimately. Only the best GPT / incentive sites listed, reviewed, and rated. Exclusive site coupon codes! Industry insider advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply