Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > F O O D related discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally competitition for Portillo's!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rukidnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 12:38pm
Doesn't DEKO's have dogs?
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 1:03pm
They do but according to a group of my kids friends the food is just all right..they really seem to like Byrons alot.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 1:05pm
That's the same opinion my other half has of Deko's.  Plus he said it took a long time to get a hot dog there (5 minutes after ordering; dogs should be instantaneous.....out of the water and into the bun). 
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 1:12pm

Guess you can take Dogcathcher out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of Dogcatcher...
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 1:15pm
Guess you need spellchecker to...invest in that and add a touch of humor and youll be all set.
mochalatte View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochalatte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2007 at 3:13pm
I hate to rag on local establishments because I want them to do well, and I personally think Deko's food is pretty good.  However, the cook touched raw meat to throw on the grill for a steak burrito and then touched the tortilla, avocados and everything else without washing.  Kind of turned me off.
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2007 at 11:03pm
Guess you need spellchecker to...invest in that and add a touch of humor and youll be all set.

That is the best you can come up with? hahahhaha

Here are more misspellings of dogcatcher:

Butthead. Blowhard. Boring.
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2007 at 11:06pm
However, the cook touched raw meat to throw on the grill for a steak burrito and then touched the tortilla, avocados and everything else without washing.  Kind of turned me off.

I'd say so. Reminds me  of the time at Au Bon Pain when the sandwich maker dropped the bacon on the floor and proceeded to pick it up and put it on the sandwich. I told the manager and she said " I am sorry you had to see that". Ya think?
Neighbor View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neighbor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/August/2007 at 10:32am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

I like Parky's going down, it's just afterwards I can't handle the effects of cheap meat (they are not all beef).

Yup, I have fond memories of Parkies (way back when I was in elementary school.)  

Ever since I graduated high school (OPRF '82) then all I can seem to get from them that has been good are their signature heart-attack-special fries in all of their greasy glory (Yum!)  I'll usually buy the main course somewhere else but still stop in a Parkies for the fries.

The italian beef is full of grizzle and basically a tasteless rubbery mass.  The hot dogs must be the generics at Aldi (Argh!)  The place isn't exactly my picture of cleanliness and upkeep (but they never were - even in the glory days - but we didn't mind because the food was awesome.)  Now the only reedming Parkies quality for me is the fries.

Yup, they've been milking the joint for a while.

I haven't been to our new Byron's but I've drooled while passing (A favorite Chicago hot dog joint of mine.) I'll have to stop in.  Yes, Portillo's LOOK OUT!

Edited by Neighbor - 15/August/2007 at 10:36am
www.HomeCash.org - Earn Cash Online Simply & Legitimately. Only the best GPT / incentive sites listed, reviewed, and rated. Exclusive site coupon codes! Industry insider advice.
Refeverything View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Refeverything Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/August/2007 at 12:02pm

Just got back from Byrons, it was good. A little bit on the expensive side. The 2 for 1 hot dogs are good for the month.

BETTER DAYS ARE COMING
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/August/2007 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by mochalatte mochalatte wrote:

I hate to rag on local establishments because I want them to do well, and I personally think Deko's food is pretty good.á However, the cook touched raw meat to throw on the grill for a steak burrito and then touched the tortilla, avocados and everything else without washing.á Kind of turned me off.

I like the burritos at Dekos too, but the place is never really clean, the workers are left alone without supervision too much. I know which "cook" you are referring to, a Mexican guy, I ordered a burrito once and after I watched him come out of the bathroom and "wash" his hands by running them under the faucet for MAYBE 3 seconds (no soap), I turned and walked out.
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/June/2009 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

LOVE Parky's fries.

My other half likes the beefs from Pete II in Broadview.

+1

Both Pete's (Roosevelt/Ridgeland, or B'view) have highly underrated beefs.

If you want bang for your buck and serious flavor, Pete's has the best beef deal IMO.

"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/June/2009 at 2:54pm
I agree with Pie the beefs at Pete II are great.
FOCUS !!
itsme View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2009 at 10:55am
Yes, Deko's concerns me too.  I've seen him grab raw meat and throw it on the griddle, and then grab a tortilla without washing in between.  I've also seen him just rinse with water without using soap.  
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2009 at 11:01am
EwwwwwDead remember Deweys on Roosevelt..my Dad use to tell us they called it Dewey's Sweatburgers cause he would sweat while cooking them..thank God I never ate ther.
FOCUS !!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2009 at 11:24am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

EwwwwwDead remember Deweys on Roosevelt..my Dad use to tell us they called it Dewey's Sweatburgers cause he would sweat while cooking them..thank God I never ate ther.

Dewey's was THE BEST! Their burgers were awesome. Greasy spoon burgers on steroids. Thick and juicy. Hot and Meaty.

Why did your Dad sweat while the burgers were cooking?
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2009 at 5:29pm
No goofy Dewey would sweat on the burgers he said that is what made the flavor stand out..the salt.
FOCUS !!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/June/2009 at 10:06am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

No goofy Dewey would sweat on the burgers he said that is what made the flavor stand out..the salt.

Dewey said that's what made the flavor?
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/June/2009 at 10:35am
That's goofy Dewey for you, watcher!

Edited by arneharris - 30/June/2009 at 10:39am
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/June/2009 at 12:48pm
As far as I know the local kids asked him what gives the burgers the flavor and he mopped his head and said my sweat..now the kids that passed along this story are all in their 50's and 60's now..but that was the story i heard.  Thought is was a funny story and if Dewey said it he was a pretty funny guy.
FOCUS !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12