Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Quality of Life Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Neighbors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neighbors
    Posted: 03/July/2007 at 8:06pm
So I got to thinking...

The regular posters here are semi well known. The question that is begged: Who would you rather live next door to?
Me or Videoguy? Citizen or Dogcatherer? Admin or Piehead?

Perhaps our most contrasting neighbors are Fmr. Commish Steinbach and MATC.

I'd make this a poll, but frankly don't give a tinker's damn. The impetus for the thinking was an encounter with several of my neighbors as I sat on the front porch having a cold one. I must live on the best block ever!
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

The impetus for the thinking was an encounter with several of my neighbors as I sat on the front porch having a cold one. I must live on the best block ever!

Had a similar experience with one our neighbors on Sunday.  He popped over and asked if we had had dinner yet and invited us over for Italian Sausage and Corn on the Cob with a few cold ones as well.  And a fire!  Can't bet that.  It was a perfect close to a good weekend.

Most of my block is a okay but as you well know it just takes a one or two bad apples to spoil it. 

Tomorrow hope to see many neighbors up at the park for the festivities.  DC, meet you for a game or two of BINGO?  You know me and the other half will be there for a round or two!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 9:24pm
watcher, this is hysterical. best poll ever!

you say you don't give a tinker's dam, but you do. you think you have best neighbors/neighborhood. your neighbors are 'so fine' they inspired this contest.

2 thoughts:
1) no one knows who i am or where i live. i do not wear my house on my sleeve :)
2) need a handicap since i have recently outed myself to be in middle of large 'do-it-yourself' exterior project. no one will want to be my neighbor. just last night my cold-hearted coach house tenant confessed he feels guilty watching me work and not volunteering. obviously prefers guilt.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 10:03pm
Hey Pie what time does bingo start? I for sure want to play, and also hubby will be in the dunk tank later on.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 10:05pm
To be honest as much as Videoguy and I go at it I'd love to live next door to him he seems like the kind of guy who could give my shit neighbors a huge wake up call. Piehead would be my 2nd choice for much the same reasons she takes no crap.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 10:26pm
I think the BINGO starts around 1 or 2?  Not sure.  Just know that when we get there and grab some food and some beer, there's always BINGO happening. 
Pitbull View Drop Down
SG1
SG1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 10:28pm
 Wow tough Q Watcher.....if i wanted a smart neighbor you and admin would be good.....someone kool and fun could be DC....someone sweet may be Pie but i havent met her, and if some thugs were around my bro and VG could work out just fine with me and that would be a kool deal ...Conclusion.....How about we all move to the same block and get rid of everyone else....as for the bingo at the park...wow memories...last time I played bingo at the park my mom and I and a friend were there about 10 years ago....go to the display every year but bingo has passed me by since my mom cant go anymore and wasn't able to go the last many years.

Edited by Pitbull - 03/July/2007 at 10:30pm
I'm Dog The Bounty Hunter
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 10:31pm
So then Pitbull you should go and at least play one or two games.  It's cheap, clean, fun.  And you're in the shade.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 10:46pm
bet hedging, a fopa tradition.

answer the question.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2007 at 10:55pm
Piehead, I like her cat!
Pitbull View Drop Down
SG1
SG1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2007 at 12:10am
 Would hate to play by myself Pie....would seem odd w/o mom or someone I knew there...Hope you and Dc do good.

Edited by Pitbull - 04/July/2007 at 11:16am
I'm Dog The Bounty Hunter
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2007 at 12:49am
Scoot out for a round or to of bingo I'll even buy ya a beer. Pie and I will show ya a wicked cool time.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2007 at 7:27am
ok, mr. watcherneighbor. we're sitting on your front porch, sipping a cool iced tea (7am).

what is a tinker's dam? and why won't you give one?
what does hair-brained mean? sounds gross.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2007 at 8:54am
Citizen, from wikipedia (not my favorite place but a place to look):

“Not worth a tinker’s dam

Ages ago tin smiths did part of their work by using clay to build a dam around the focus of their work. Inside of that dam, they could pour (and thus retain) molten tin until it cooled and solidified. When they were ready to clean up that part of the job, they salvaged the unused tin, very expensive at the time. They disposed of the dam because clay was so plentiful as to be worthless after having been used once.

Thus the phrase,"

Well i'ts 8:54....I'm off work.....think we shall head for Harrison Street Cafe for some breakfast.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2007 at 9:48am
Hairbrained is literal. Brain of hair. As opposed to hare-brained which alternately concerned the hare's simple single-minded focus or its mating habits.

A Tinker's Damn, in addition to Pie's wiki entry rose, from the work of the Tinker. With his cart and scrap and little else a tinker would try to repair things that were well beyond their useful life. They would try to fix anything for a price. They did this without superglue or duct tape so naturally, their work often failed which would evoke a "mild oath". Their profanity was so common that it held no power to "shock" rendering the words benign to the point of just empty words.

A modern equivalent would be a Cub fan's delusion that this is their year. (EVERY year).

Edited by watcher - 04/July/2007 at 9:50am
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2007 at 12:47pm
Interesting poll.  Actually, there's a bit of a divide between those who know who most people's "real" identities are vs. those who don't.  Of all the people you mentioned, I'm pretty sure I know the identify of one (perhaps two), but while I know certain things about some of the others, I don't know who they are or where they live within Forest Park.

If DC's neighbors are as bad as she claims, I doubt I'd want to live there.  Of course, if north of Madison is as bad as she claims, I doubt I'd want to live near VG.  Piehead makes equal complaints about bad neighbors.  Citizen has mentioned her ongoing construction project, and you and Admin are both south of the Eisenhower, right? 

Is NOTA an option?
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2007 at 5:59pm
Michael Todd would make a nice neighbor. No noise, no complaining, no barking dogs. Just peace & quiet.

Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 9:22am
hmm. who's michael todd?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 9:45am
Originally posted by KPO'M KPO'M wrote:

Interesting poll.  Actually, there's a bit of a divide between those who know who most people's "real" identities are vs. those who don't.  Of all the people you mentioned, I'm pretty sure I know the identify of one (perhaps two), but while I know certain things about some of the others, I don't know who they are or where they live within Forest Park.

If DC's neighbors are as bad as she claims, I doubt I'd want to live there.  Of course, if north of Madison is as bad as she claims, I doubt I'd want to live near VG.  Piehead makes equal complaints about bad neighbors.  Citizen has mentioned her ongoing construction project, and you and Admin are both south of the Eisenhower, right? 

Is NOTA an option?

yes, put that way... :)

my next project has to be the back yard - looks like nasty tenement. i think a zoning appeal is in my immediate future - to create pkg on my property. rationale:
  • get 2+ more resident's cars out of madison st public lot (public good)
  • whether garage/slab/pavers will use less than 40% of lot (letter of zoning law)
  • can then do grand plan and get on w/landscaping. will be beautiful and extremely neighborly. drop by for cool one, y'all.

just need to wrestle the dreaded curb cut from persnickety village officials. am sure they'll think up some other nonsense... 

doesn't sound like a bad trade off tho, does it? as we are actively pursuing 'creative' pkg solutions. and our developers are getting variances left & right to create less parking. sounds downright neighborly, to me.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 10:12am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

hmm. who's michael todd?

Use the google!

I'm not so sure the cemetaries are as quiet as thinkle may peep. Judging from the graffiti, lesser vandalism and litter (empties), they're fairly active places after dark.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 10:16am
if i google, where's the conversation?

michael todd - movie guy married to liz taylor. and a jillion others. which one?
RVHis View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RVHis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 10:46am
Originally posted by administrator administrator wrote:

Michael Todd would make a nice neighbor. No noise, no complaining, no barking dogs. Just peace & quiet.

Until someone came along again to dig up the  remains  to look for the ring that Liz gave him.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 10:54am
Originally posted by KPO'M KPO'M wrote:

Interesting poll. Actually, there's a bit of a divide between those who know who most people's "real" identities are vs. those who don't.
Of all the people you mentioned, I'm pretty sure I know the identify of one (perhaps two), but while I know certain things about some of the others, I don't know who they are or where they live within Forest Park.

If DC's neighbors are as bad as she claims, I doubt I'd want to live there. Of course, if north of Madison is as bad as she claims, I doubt I'd want to live near VG. Piehead makes equal complaints about bad neighbors. Citizen has mentioned her ongoing construction project, and you and Admin are both south of the Eisenhower, right?

Is NOTA an option?

You have to live next to someone. Choosing FoPa makes that a given. I was more trying to reconcile the thugness that's reportedly roaming some blocks to my own experience. Maybe I don't have an "attractive nuisance"? Just lucky? Maybe I perceive things differently? (most likely)

It just seems that a few posters have no reluctance to tell others what they should and shouldn't do (generally), and with their property (specifically). Viewing it as a fishbowl for their edification rather than lives and living that happens therein, differing tastes and styles etc.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 10:56am

michael todd - movie guy married to liz taylor. and a jillion others. which one?

Movie guy, buried in FoPa. Dug up once.
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 2:04pm
KPO, the north side of town is where all the improvements have been, as well as new construction. Everyone knows its the more convenient place to be (closer to the CTA, Metra, Madison, etc.). We dont need a police substation here. DC says a lot of things.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 2:47pm

Movie guy, buried in FoPa. Dug up once.

Dug up once and moved out of FoPa.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 2:54pm

[It just seems that a few posters have no reluctance to tell others what they should and shouldn't do (generally), and with their property (specifically). Viewing it as a fishbowl for their edification rather than lives and living that happens therein, differing tastes and styles etc.

Viewing it as a fishbowl......so I should like the tires that my neighbor put in her yard in early May and hasn't gone back and done anything with?  She was going to plant flowers in them somehow.  Right now they are buried under the overgrowing weeds and totally forgotten about.  She's too busy to sweat the small stuff like look after her 4 flat.

Differing tastes and styles...yes, it is much nicer to have an empty house with some windows broken out and a boards put up in its place.  And the siding coming off around the windows.  And the moss growing on the roof.  And the weeds growing because no one comes to care for the yard (their broken down piece of crap [never cared for either] car apparently isn't running right now and they can't come to FoPa from Cicero) or anything else.  What they said to my other half the last time the owner got a ride from someone to the house "we're hanging on to it.  The taxes are paid til September."  Yeah, but they have no gas (NICOR left a big brightly colored tag on the banister stating they owed $2500 so it was cutting off service) and goodness knows if they get water there? 

The rest of the block is just fine.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Viewing it as a fishbowl......so I should like the tires that my neighbor put in her yard in early May and hasn't gone back and done anything with? She was going to plant flowers in them somehow. Right now they are buried under the overgrowing weeds and totally forgotten about. She's too busy to sweat the small stuff like look after her 4 flat.

Differing tastes and styles...yes, it is much nicer
The rest of the block is just fine.

Who said irony is dead?
So the neighbors on either side have derelict properties?
What are the odds?

What does the village say when you call? What does Mr. Pie say about the situation?

Edited by watcher - 08/July/2007 at 7:54pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 8:24pm

Mr. Pie is tired of the horrible yard maintenance (on both sides) so he cuts it all (about 112 ft. worth - ours plus theirs).  I have talked with the village about the vacant house but I don't know exactly what they can do.  Can you force someone to sell?  I don't think so. 

As to the 4 flat, I've given up.  The owner doesn't care and I guess the code enforcers like blondes as things like totally peeling and chipping off paint on the enclosed back porches don't need to be taken care of.  They didn't have to get a permit either to tear down a deck and put all the debris against my fence!  Told the village and don't believe anything has ever been done.  Plus, the owner doesn't seem to be required to get a vehicle tag.  oh well, life goes on.
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2007 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by videoguy videoguy wrote:

KPO, the north side of town is where all the improvements have been, as well as new construction. Everyone knows its the more convenient place to be (closer to the CTA, Metra, Madison, etc.). We dont need a police substation here. DC says a lot of things.

I'm quite aware of that.  I'm on the north end of town, myself.  I was just trying to find a way to eliminate everyone on Watcher's list from consideration as my "chosen neighbor."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>