Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"News"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "News"
    Posted: 12/July/2007 at 2:46pm
Anyone check out page 3 of todays Tribune metro section? Our very own resident Melrose Park/Cicero connection, K.Austin Zimmer of Gilio & Del Galdo, Z.B.A. and eminent domain Homes for Parking fame, got his smiling face in the paper. Seems he is representing Cicero kingpin Larry Dominick in his "troubles" with Mrs. Dominick's ex. Seems like yet another series of coincidental relationships with all the questionable names and faces of local politics appear to coincidentally find each other by mere coincidence.   
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2007 at 3:06pm
Thought the name sounded familiar.
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2007 at 3:25pm
Did you all get your new copy of the Forest Park com-Post today? A very interesting article penned by the self-proclaimed "independent" fire & police commissioner Amy Rita on Tasering. So the person appointed to be the un-biased judge, jury & executioner of facts when cops are disciplined has determined that the taser "Seems like the smart choice for me." So what happens when you have to make a disciplinary decision when the use of the taser is part of the equation Rita? Just another example of the "Independence" of Rita and the fire & police commission. Since there is an opening on the board with Garlisch leaving, maybe Bill Dwyer can be appointed and balance the scales of injustice. Not likley.
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2007 at 4:09pm
From the 07/11/07 issue of the Forest Park Review headline "No settlement talks in Steinbach lawsuit": "During a recent budgeting workshop held by the village council, officials pointed to Steinbach's lawsuit as a contributing factor spiking insurance costs.....The council is expecting that bill to come in at $599,000.00 for fiscal year 2008."
So were to believe, according to village officials (probably Mike "Elliot Ness style raid on historical society" Sturino and Tony "David Copperfield master of mis-direction" Calderone) that it was Steinbach's lawsuit, which according to the article has not moved from discovery stage and has only had, according to the villages attorney, brief status hearings that has caused a 20+% increase in our insurance?
Seems that our "village officials" left out the fact that top-clop Jim Ryan, the honorable lord Calderone, our deputy clerk Sally "I'm in charge" Cody and her raid on the historical society accomplice and ex-husband-ex-deputy chief Mike "Show me your two friends or I'll pull up your shirt" Cody are all named as village employees and being defended on the villages dime in a multi-million dollar federal lawsuit filed by that potty mouthed ex-cop Dan Harder. Seems that that along with a consistent flow of police brutality suits thrown in for good measure may also be contributing to the increase. Huh? But hey, all they have to do is blame Steinbach and people are stupid enough to go along and the paper just prints it without question. Hey so long as Calderone shows up at your block party or when a tree falls in your parkway sounds good to me. Are we, the taxpayers, thought of as that stupid by them? Guess so. I guess that lawsuit is now out of sight-out of mind so let's not waste time talking about it. Not to mention that the John Does #2 & #3 in Steinbachs suit will most likely be names, once named, we are all familiar with eh? And we just keep re-electing em'.   

Edited by Sentry - 12/July/2007 at 4:15pm
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2007 at 4:10pm
Doesnt mean she will say that EVERY case of Taser use is valid, just that the concept of using the Taser is valid. Capische?
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2007 at 4:22pm
Eternal optimism is a great thing to have. You got it and that is good. Would you want this person sitting in judgment of you and having the ability to destroy your career? Point is this. You are either an impartial judge, or your a newspaper editor. You can't be both. You can't report the news and sit in judgment of civil servants as a government official. Your newspaper opinions will eventually come into conflict with your responsibility as an impartial trier of fact. There is a reason there are no other sitting "judges" writing for or publishing newspapers.
Besides, why not have one of your reporters, and I say that tongue in check, cover a story about this and avoid any appearance of conflict? Why? Because can't chance it not coming out the right way. After all, without the village spending all their money advertising in that paper and paying to have the village calendar in it, Rita has no paper. A marriage of convenience would best describe the relationship. We spend money with you, you "report" the facts as we see them. How convenient. This is O.K. with everyone? O.K. No not O.K. This is a joke.

Edited by Sentry - 12/July/2007 at 4:29pm
JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2007 at 6:38pm
Sentry is beginning to sound like .......... oh never mind, how stupid was it for me to think that a requirement for a police and fire commissioner is that they do not like tasers.

I hope the mayor appoints Dwyer to the position of dogcatcher.
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2007 at 8:48pm

i agree with you sentry. a newspaper publisher, editor, reporter has absolutely no business in politics. elected or appointed. it can't be done well or appropriately by any human.

one way or the other, amy.

JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2007 at 12:00am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

i agree with you sentry. a newspaper publisher, editor, reporter has absolutely no business in politics. elected or appointed. it can't be done well or appropriately by any human.
one way or the other, amy.  

So let me get this stright.....it can't be done well by......

OK I get it maybe a humanoid should do this. Oh wait better yet an alien.

WTF
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2007 at 1:05am
I agree with all that. I was just referrring to her statements about Tasers. However, it is debatable whether the Post is really a newspaper or whether it is more likely simply some hobby of Rita's and her friends. I do agree that the village should not be spending tax money on it.    
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2007 at 8:01am
if we disqualify it as a newspaper, and we do, i guess there is no conflict of interest.

its a newsletter w/a political agenda.
and not a hobby, as it is a for-profit gig that charges the going rate for advertising. 
does the mayor himself pay for his full page ad? or does the village? or is it a political freebie?
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2007 at 8:14am
Welcome back, Sentry, have missed your take on all things FP. You can't ignore it as a contributing factor but only one of MANY. The Village has it within it's power to move the "discovery" phase along or attempt to stymy the case at every turn, prolonging the financial drain. Need to blame? start with the people that couldn't keep their noses out of her email.

Review: "During a recent budgeting workshop held by the village council, officials pointed to Steinbach's lawsuit as a contributing factor in spiking insurance costs. According to preliminary budget figures discussed at a July 2 workshop, taxpayers will be responsible for a 20 percent jump in the municipality's liability insurance premiums. The council is expecting that bill to come in at $599,000 for fiscal year 2008".
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2007 at 8:58am
austin zimmer, btw, is the 'acting' head of zba. scary.

wasn't he the guy the mayor loves 'cause he did a nice rehab, and therefore qualifies as good citizen?

Edited by citizen - 13/July/2007 at 8:58am
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2007 at 9:03am

And on that same lovely ZBA we also have a person on there that doesn't reside in FP.  Scary.

Who is Zimmer anyways?  Where is his nice rehab? 
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2007 at 12:47pm
OK, so the article about insurance costs says that there is a 20% increase, but it doesnt lay all the blame on Steinbach's suit. However, the fact that the council is even mentioning her suit and not all the other ones means its petty sandbox politics as usual on there.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2007 at 2:17pm
Why point out other reasons for insurance prices rising.  Get the people to just think about Steinbach and how bad she is.  Never mind what is really going on.
 Post Reply Post Reply