Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2007 at 11:28pm
What do you want Mr Curry? Everyone to play nice-nice all the time, it ain't gonna happen. So what? The Mayor doesn't like to get involved in the back and forth on board. Too bad. That is discussion, that is involvement, that's life, choose to what you'll respond. Transparency in action, not a bone thrown to the voters within comfortable parameters.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2007 at 7:42am
Maybe once people are elected into FP posts, they are sworn to a secret oath and are told not to trust the people who elected them to be civil-minded, sensible individuals.  Maybe Mr. Curry is starting to see things Mr. Calderone's way.....that we are not to be trusted with any information and we will find things out in due time.....we are the enemy? 

People seem to change once elected.  We aren't really needed for 4 more years.

Again, I'll say, it would be nice if the village implemented some sort of forum for people to ask questions or be updated on things.  The village website (along with the some time newsletters; is there any real schedule to when those are issued) doesn't seem to be a real source to find out stuff.

Edited by piehead - 22/September/2007 at 7:44am
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2007 at 9:05am
Originally posted by MikeCurry MikeCurry wrote:

If Administrator establishes a forum with the proper rules then I would seriously consider answering direct questions via this forum...however, I am not going to get into the prior situation(s) where posters on this board were making false statements and rediculous conclusions with out any substantial basis for those conclusions...

Mike 

What if we were to resurrect the moderated forum that was set up during the campaign?  Did you find that useful, and would you use such a forum in the future?

Edited by KPO'M - 22/September/2007 at 9:06am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2007 at 9:39am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

What do you want Mr Curry? Everyone to play nice-nice all the time, it ain't gonna happen. So what? The Mayor doesn't like to get involved in the back and forth on board. Too bad. That is discussion, that is involvement, that's life, choose to what you'll respond. Transparency in action, not a bone thrown to the voters within comfortable parameters.

oooh, logic, you're tough :)

well, i'm certainly not suggesting a return to the candidate's format we had to suffer thru. felt like i should genuflect before posting a question. or that the candidates were so inherently unstable, i had to weigh every word as not to offend.

there's a difference between hard questions and baiting.

it appears posting on issues thoroughly & honestly get's better results than remarks. i'm thinking back to plepel, tellalian & you, mike. for the most part posters appreciate & respect that. and of course, you can choose what to respond to. and that also makes a statement.

offering to run the town has lots of responsibilities and accountabilities. any ideas?
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2007 at 10:13am
Not so tough:) The point I'm trying to make, this is an open forum, we cannot demand all post responsibly. Some have real axes to grind, perceive themselves or others as being treated unfairly, whether true or untrue the forum is an outlet. We all set our own tone by how we interact on forum, we alone are responsible for our posts. There have been many many times, I've kept my own counsel simply b/c the story wasn't mine to tell. People have a right to privacy and to publicly express their thoughts or not. Too often forum members get caught up in tit/tat posting, name-calling, etc.... though sometimes entertaining, the message (if there is a message) gets lost. We neither need to reply to every remark or barb thrown nor respond in kind.

There is a great need for public discussion on many issues FP, it would go a long way in promoting trust between the residents of FP and our elected officials. Don't believed there needs to be a "safe" section of the forum in which to post. What our officials choose to respond to can be personally decided on a post by post basis. They, if choosing to particpate, can set the tone.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2007 at 10:20am
And that, logic, is probably why basically no one in government comes onto this board to participate.  It is not controlled.  The folks in power seem to like to control the way things go.

My idea would be the village fund a forum and allow people to post questions/comments to our officials.  They could demand that the email address used to sign up is from a paid for account and not a freebie so that it is easier to make sure people don't just sign up to slam everything. 

Would most likely keep the sentrys of the world off the site.....as he/she is most likely a dismissed police officer that doesn't even reside in town and has a major axe to grind as long as no one knows who he/she is.

That way, it might actually be a helpful place to get information.  Unfortunately, I don't think they really want us to ask questions. 
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2007 at 10:26am

Not so tough:) The point I'm trying to make, this is an open forum, we cannot demand all post responsibly. Some have real axes to grind, perceive themselves or others as being treated unfairly, whether true or untrue the forum is an outlet. We all set our own tone by how we interact on forum, we alone are responsible for our posts. There have been many many times, I've kept my own counsel simply b/c the story wasn't mine to tell. People have a right to privacy and to publicly express their thoughts or not. Too often forum members get caught up in tit/tat posting, name-calling, etc.... though sometimes entertaining, the message (if there is a message) gets lost. We neither need to reply to every remark or barb thrown nor respond in kind.

There is a great need for public discussion on many issues FP, it would go a long way in promoting trust between the residents of FP and our elected officials. Don't believed there needs to be a "safe" section of the forum in which to post. What our officials choose to respond to can be personally decided on a post by post basis. They, if choosing to particpate, can set the tone.

nice post.
the image of athena came to mind: deity of the ancient Greeks worshiped as the goddess of wisdom...and prudent warfare.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2007 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by KPO'M KPO'M wrote:

Originally posted by MikeCurry MikeCurry wrote:

If Administrator establishes a forum with the proper rules then I would seriously consider answering direct questions via this forum...however, I am not going to get into the prior situation(s) where posters on this board were making false statements and rediculous conclusions with out any substantial basis for those conclusions...

Mike 

What if we were to resurrect the moderated forum that was set up during the campaign?  Did you find that useful, and would you use such a forum in the future?

so, we've got a couple of thoughts on the table. a structured format or not.
btw, i was also thinking of the candidates format as a good way, but woke up this morning and realized it really didn't work well. the protection enforced to keep the sabateurs/uncivilized at bay also stopped dialogue.  

mike & others - as most of us have never 'walked in your shoes' - do you have thoughts on a useful format?

KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2007 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

so, we've got a couple of thoughts on the table. a structured format or not.
btw, i was also thinking of the candidates format as a good way, but woke up this morning and realized it really didn't work well. the protection enforced to keep the sabateurs/uncivilized at bay also stopped dialogue.  

mike & others - as most of us have never 'walked in your shoes' - do you have thoughts on a useful format?

Of course, another alternative is to give the village officials a forum in which they have moderator capabilities. (i.e. the ability to delete posts so that only the posts they are responding to appear).  Perhaps all the deleted messages should go into a visible "repository" thread so there is some transparency as to what has and hasn't been answered.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2007 at 10:43pm
oh, dear.
um, i think we've been down this road before. before our time, kp.
it appears mod power corrupted, absolutely.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2007 at 2:13am

Of course, another alternative is to give the village officials a forum in which they have moderator capabilities. (i.e. the ability to delete posts so that only the posts they are responding to appear).  Perhaps all the deleted messages should go into a visible "repository" thread so there is some transparency as to what has and hasn't been answered.
There have been a couple of threads started in the past for "bad" posts, one was the "penalty box". Don't think giving village officials mod status is a good idea, though before my time on board, heard it was "Mod gone wild". The posters were upset with the Mayor's frequent use of the delete prompt:)

Edited by logic - 23/September/2007 at 2:21am
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2007 at 8:15am
And then the mayor denied any knowledge of said deletions!  He said others were using his id. 
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2007 at 8:49am

There have been a couple of threads started in the past for "bad" posts, one was the "penalty box". Don't think giving village officials mod status is a good idea, though before my time on board, heard it was "Mod gone wild". The posters were upset with the Mayor's frequent use of the delete prompt:)[/QUOTE]

Of course, that's why we have transparency.  That way, we can see what messages each person is deleting and judge for ourselves. 
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2007 at 8:55am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Maybe once people are elected into FP
Again, I'll say, it would be nice if the village implemented some sort of forum for people to ask questions or be updated on things. The village website (along with the some time newsletters; is there any real schedule to when those are issued) doesn't seem to be a real source to find out stuff.

Questions? We don' need no steenkin' questions!

You want information? It's in the dictionary between indictment and inquisition.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2007 at 9:05am

Of course, that's why we have transparency. That way, we can see what messages each person is deleting and judge for ourselves.

Sorry to say that there have been multiple cullings over the years. Some accidental; so unavoidable, others deliberate. By far, the most damage was the mayor's (or his proxy's)cleansing of his (or proxy's) words here.

Clearly, the ripples of that event remain.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2007 at 9:17am

That way, we can see what messages each person is deleting and judge for ourselves. 
Then why delete them in the first place, to keep the threads uncluttered? Can't they just not respond to objectionable posts?

Look at us posting about actual conditions under which our elected officials would participate on forum, as if it's really gonna happen. Surely there will always be something that keeps some from participating, like forgetting to put a chocolate on the pillow when we turn down the covers on the oh so comfy marriage bed we are preparing for them in hopes they'll find it welcoming:) Yep, definitely getting a sense of deja vu. How many times have we been down this old worn, beaten path? 
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2007 at 12:32pm
after thinking this over, i don't want any public official to have any 'mod' access or power. boom, credibility lost.
users must be able to trust the security of the board and have absolute trust in our 'board of directors.' 

Edited by citizen - 23/September/2007 at 12:33pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2007 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

after thinking this over, i don't want any public official to have any 'mod' access or power. boom, credibility lost.
users must be able to trust the security of the board and have absolute trust in our 'board of directors.'

If there were such a thing. Maybe there is? I remember a meeting... by the second cocktail there was nothing to discuss. It's not over-managed. For the most part it's self-policing.

logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2007 at 9:39pm
That's funny, watcher, because it is often that very special time after that second cocktail...........and before the last one (which may be one too many) that the guards come down and all the world's problems are discussed and solved:)

Edited by logic - 23/September/2007 at 10:12pm
Dr. Barbie View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Barbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2007 at 7:58am
Regarding the ability to moderate on this forum, with all due respect to the Admin below are listed the people who have admin or mod privileges on this board, how many of them are anti-Calderone?  How many are not?

Bcbandit                        Mod
Godmother                    Mod
JeanVelJean                  Admin
Kaiser Soze                   Mod
Katie                             Mod
Myself                           Admin (this person has never posted)
Nobody                         Admin
Piehead                        Mod
Somebody                    Admin
Watcher                       Admin
Y                                  Admin

Food for thought.

logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2007 at 8:54am
In all fairness, very little moderating takes place on the forum unless someone steps way over bounds. Much of the recent posting has been about the PD. Though I have no knowledge of who half of the above are, would bet they consider themselves pro-FP. This is the FPF not the Mayor Calderone forum after all. Haven't looked at the Mayor's Forest Park First forum in a long time is it still active?

Edited by logic - 24/September/2007 at 9:02am
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2007 at 9:19am

Haven't looked at the Mayor's Forest Park First forum in a long time is it still active?

Are you referring to the free blog that he started?  If so, it is non-existant now.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2007 at 9:20am

This is the FPF not the Mayor Calderone forum after all. 

For the Mayor Calderon forum, one must look at the Forest Park Post.
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Barbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2007 at 11:37am
And for the anti-Forest Park forum just read the Review.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2007 at 11:42am
Dr. Barbie at least the Review has news.  Please point out any news that appears in the Post. 
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Barbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2007 at 11:46am
I agree that the Post does not have up-to-date news.  But that is difficult to do when you only publish bi-monthly.  What I enjoy about the Post is that is shows pride in the town I live in.  I happen to like FP and enjoy living here.  No, its not perfect, but its still a great place to live.

The Review paints a picture of a town that is borderline ghetto with residents and administration who couldn't agree on the time of day.  That gets old.  Mr. Haley lives in Oak Park and has the Oak Park attitude that we in FP are the "cheap seats."
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Barbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2007 at 11:48am
These people may be pro-FP but in many cases their posts have shown them to be anti-administration.  Which is fine if there is a balance of mods and admins who are not anti-administration.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2007 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Dr. Barbie Dr. Barbie wrote:

The Review paints a picture of a town that is borderline ghetto with residents and administration who couldn't agree on the time of day.  That gets old.  Mr. Haley lives in Oak Park and has the Oak Park attitude that we in FP are the "cheap seats."
We are what we believe we are, you know that, Dr Barbie. It's funny can remember reading in a history book that I'd spent the first 12 yrs of my life living in the "ghetto" surrounding Hull House. To us it was a neighborhood full of family and friends.
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2007 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Dr. Barbie Dr. Barbie wrote:

I agree that the Post does not have up-to-date news.  But that is difficult to do when you only publish bi-monthly.  What I enjoy about the Post is that is shows pride in the town I live in.  I happen to like FP and enjoy living here.  No, its not perfect, but its still a great place to live.

While I am no fan of Haley, the job of a paper is to investigate and report. I think that the Review does that fairly well. What good would the newspaper be if it was simply an instrument of Tony's?

The Post is simply not news oriented. And yes, it is Tony's forum. Pretty rah rah but I think people are aware of that.
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Barbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2007 at 12:10pm
Interesting that the anti-Calderone people all find the Review to be unbiased reporting.  I don't.

Everytime I look at that paper I feel as if my town is being bashed.  There is plenty of good in this town but the Review never seems to find it.  They put in good stuff from Oak Park but not from FP.

This has nothing to do with being pro-Tony or anti-Tony, or pro-anyone; it has to do with my personal opinion that Dan Haley hates FP and is doing his best to make it look bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>