Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Police , Fire, Village Departments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cops turn off video cameras

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Nyberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 9:27am
Here's the copy of an email I just sent Mike Sturino
Quote Dear Mike Sturino,

At least one person on Forest Park Forums requested what is village policy on the cameras in squad cars. Can you provide that?

Also, can you explain what causes the cameras to begin recording?

Finally, to what extent were Forest Park police officers violating the official policy? To what extent were supervisors aware of this happening?

Sincerely,

Carl Nyberg

Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Sizzle Sizzle wrote:

Sorry if the use of the word "endorsed" confuses anyone. The reason I chose that word is that it has been inferred here and on Nyberg's blog that Chief Ryan might have an unwritten standard, the old "wink, wink" to his officers about this issue. He does not, plain and simple. It is policy and it is enforced.

I won't begin to get into an insult match with Sentry. We all know that if I or any officer saved a baby from a burning building, not only would Sentry cry foul for not saving the family dog, but she would claim that the baby must be a Calderone donor, and the family dog must not have paid his dues, so we watched him burn. Sentry's hatred and vendetta against the village and police department are obvious. But that's her problem.

1st of all coward I am not a her. I am a him. So get those thoughts or raping me out of your head. Second don't try to distract us with your “baby's in burning buildings” and “family dog” BS.    Your police department is a joke. You have a real problem with your constant and inconsistent excuses and you are exposing yourself for the fraud you are. The problem is that you are not saving babies from burning buildings or rescuing family pets from trees. You all seem to be tasering people and beating people and lying and covering up and raping and just about every other thing one can think of from the criminal code book. You are a liar and you have been caught in several lies here and you know it. Not to mention you cops lie about the stupidest things. Like we are all to believe this Davis guy intentionally crapped in his pants at the police station just to piss you off? Or is it more likely that it happened as a result of being tasered 5 times? Why lie about this thing? Why? Because that is what cops do to cover up their criminal activity. You think people believe cops anymore? Not a chance pal. Why? Because there are cops like you that do nothing but make up excuses and think we are all stupid enough to believe your BS just because you’re a cop. Not anymore liar.

Edited by Sentry - 19/September/2007 at 9:53am
Sizzle View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 9:56am

...pants on fire...

I see you're back in the discussion, Carl Nyberg.  How come you haven't addressed my comments?

Sizzle View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 10:03am
...oh, no, wait, you're just now asking the village for data on this subject?  This comes after you publicly state that this is a chronic, department-wide problem?  Very ethical of you, Carl.
Carl Nyberg View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Nyberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 10:26am
Sizzle,

Why aren't you asking Ryan, Sturino and Calderone what's happening?

Thought experiment:

The village admits police officers violated policy. It acknowledges supervisors were aware that officers were violating policy.

Will that change your thinking about the FPPD? Chief Jim Ryan? Mike Sturino? Mayor Anthony Calderone?

How?

Or will you make excuses by attacking the policy the officers violated?
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 10:34am
How about another thought experiment.
Sizzle is one of the supervisors that knew the policy wasn't being followed. Sizzle was one of the supervisors that was responsible for changing the tapes after every shift. And Sizzle realized that every time he went to change the tapes there was nothing on them and he got tired of everyone ignoring him about using the cameras and realized that the disgraced Ryan knew they didn't use them and didn't care so what the hell, why should Sizzle care if the chief doesn't care. And why should Sizzle waste his time going through the motions of going around to the squad cars if the chief knows they are not being used and doesn't care about enforcing the policy? More likely this is the case over at Hedonism III.
Sizzle View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 10:57am
Carl,

I asked you because you're the one who brought this up, you're the one who made the insinuations and accusations.  Are you going to continue to sidestep my response, that you report and exaggerate "rumors"?
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 11:06am
Carl Carl Carl. That is all we hear from you Sizzle. You are nothing but a professional blamer that blames everyone else for your bad behavior.   What response of yours is Carl sidestepping? You don't respond to anything other than to lie anyway. And your going to talk and lecture us about Carl's ethics? What about your ethics and your departments ethics and your disgraced police chiefs ethics? Even the Review is finally calling Ryan out for the fraud he is. Why don't you The Cop answer a question or two. Are you saying this no camera issue was a one time isolated incident with this Davis guy? Do you think not using the camera when you taser a black guy to the point he craps in his pants is a more serious or less serious policy violation than swearing at another cop in role call? You are not here to answer questions coward. You are here to make more excuses and place blame on others when it is you and your goon cop friends that are responsible. What a fraud you are.   
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Nyberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 11:56am
Sizzle, try this.

Can you ask a question on facts without including a goofy assumption in the question?

I'm more than willing to discuss public policy issues on local gov't. Everybody knows my name. And it's not exactly a secret how to contact me by phone, email or where I live.

And, I don't think anyone would accuse me of pussyfooting around on the issues. People pretty much know where I stand.

So, if you have a legit question, ask it. But don't expect me to respond to each one of your personal attacks. You are using my non-responses to personal attacks as an excuse to get indignant.

I'm not going to make it easy for you to change the subject.

Do you have any questions about the subject of this discussion, the FPPD not using cameras that they are required to use by village policy?
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 12:01pm
How about this?  The cameras are in the squads, use them, if malfunctioning, fix them, so our PD is not put in the position of having to justify the actions of our officers. It's so damn simple, follow the policy for the safety of all concerned.
Patrick Doolin View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Proviso Trustee Candidate 2009

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick Doolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 12:13pm

This debate, as well as the back and forth, can easily be resolved, not only on this issue but that of the rape allegation against Officer Kozak in a rather simple manner. 

Just release the information and the documentation to the public. 

The village certainly has access to the information, which means they can easily confirm or dis-spell the rumors and allegations. 

Why not release it?  By releasing it, you either put this thing to bed once and for all or you start the process of changing whatever the failure of policy and/or enforcement of policy is internally.  Either way, trust & faith in our police department is restored.   

I understand that there is some sort of on-going internal investigation with Officer Kozak, which would rightly prohibit release of any information regarding him & his situation. 

However, a simple statement from the Mayor or police chief saying that it will be released in it's entirety upon completion and determination should satisfy the curious, as well as the conspiracy theorists. (as the Sizzles of the world like to call them)  

The problem here is that there is an obvious & apparent pattern of pick-and-choose about not only what is released, but also about who, as it relates to the police department. 

During the campaign, there was much ado about open government & transparency. 

As a matter of fact, both Mike & Marty have recently posted about their commitment to open government right here on this forum. 

What better opportunity could present itself for them to turn their words into action than for them both to demand that this information be made public? 

They have both made the promise of open government to us. 

They have the power to do it. 

The question is, do they have the will?           

Edited by Patrick Doolin - 19/September/2007 at 12:15pm
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 12:22pm
Don't know how, info can be released about an officer without bringing to light info about the woman who was involved. I don't feel that would be fair, am I missing something here?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Don't know how, info can be released about an officer without bringing to light info about the woman who was involved. I don't feel that would be fair, am I missing something here?

I would hope they would block out the woman's name.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 12:39pm
Why? His name is out there for the world to see courtesy of a few people on this forum.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 12:43pm
Is this the same DC who was so concerned over someone's emotional health a couple weeks ago? 
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 12:45pm
Sorry your right Logic..I'm just feeling a bit out of sorts today. Point taken.
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

Why? His name is out there for the world to see courtesy of a few people on this forum.

Why should his name be a big secret? Because your do nothing Mayor Calderone and the disgraced Ryan want it a secret? He was accused of rape and is sitting at home being paid with our tax dollars while the disgraced Ryan and Calderone try to figure out how to spin this to their advantage. The married cheating creep cop Kozak should have kept it in his pants if he didn't want his name out there. Serves him right.   
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 1:22pm
before we get all whacked out, does everyone here agree that our officers should use their video cams per FPPD stated policy?

Yes. More often than not, they work as a DEFENSE for the cops, anyway.
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Nyberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 1:34pm
Can we move the discussion of the rape allegation into a thread about that subject?

This one should probably stay focused on the squad car camera issue.
Sizzle View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 3:36pm
Okay, I could get into a discussion about who insulted who, yada yada.  That's just immature.  Instead, I will just repeat the questions to Carl that I already posted near the beginning of this discussion.

Carl, you noted a "rumor" in your blog about FPPD's practice of deliberately turning off their dash cams.  Can you tell us where you heard that rumor, and why do you believe it?

Do you have a factual basis to form an opinion that mulitiple officers (not just the one officer in that one instance) have been doing this?  If so, what is your basis?

Chief Ryan disciplined the officer in that instance for not having his dash camera on.  Please explain why you think Chief Ryan condones this behavior, based on this instance.

I also noted that during this discussion, you posted a comment showing that you have requested dash cam data from Mike Sturino.  Does this mean that you do not have the data to support your claims and inferences you made in your original blog post?

You know Carl, the police in this town aren't that hard to find either.  Have you ever tried, in your journalistic career, to approach a police officer (not including Harder, Johnsen, or Frawley) to seek out their perspective on a police-related issue?  Seems no one I know has ever spoken with you.  I think a true journalist would try to get both sides of a story, regardless of their own personal slant.  You don't have to answer this one, it's just a thought. 

videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Sizzle Sizzle wrote:

Have you ever tried, in your journalistic career, to approach a police officer (not including Harder, Johnsen, or Frawley) to seek out their perspective on a police-related issue? 

Good question. But would the cops speak with Carl?
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 4:02pm
Carl Carl tell me where you get your information. Why is that important Sizzle? So you and the rest of Ryan's goons can retaliate against them? Huh Sizzle?
And of course nothing Harder, Johnsen or Frawley say is the truth right? So no information can come from any of the three people that actually are free to tell the real truth about your corrupt department. I see Sizzle. And like any Forest Park cop is going to be truthful with Carl about what goes on there? Any cop that actually tells the truth and talks out of school will be fired just like Harder and Johnsen and you know it.   Oh Carl. Just come up and talk to us nice police officers. Carl we want to help you and we will tell you everything. Riggghhht Sizzle. Who on earth do you think you are kidding?   
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Nyberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 5:54pm
Village Administrator Michael Sturino provided a prompt response to my email inquiry.

Sturino's email:
Quote I am writing in response to your questions below. Your request for the Village of Forest Park Police Department policy concerning cameras in squad cars, as with all request for public records, can be obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request. We will honor your request in a  timely manner. Please contact Village Clerk Vanessa Moritz, or see our website, for a FOIA form.
I would recommend you contact the Police Department with technical questions concerning the cameras. 

I am aware of one officer who, on one occasion, did violate the policy
concerning cameras. That officer was disciplined by his supervisors when they discovered the infraction.

Very truly,

Michael J. Sturino

Sorry about posting all the codes in the previous post. Hopefully, someone can delete the eyesore for which I am responsible.
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 8:13pm
There's more than one eyesore I would like to delete.
Pitbull View Drop Down
SG1
SG1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 8:30pm
 Why was the 2nd Carl post more easier on the eyes than the 1st?  Guess they called it an eyesore...I call It a pain in the butt.
I'm Dog The Bounty Hunter
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Nyberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2007 at 11:05pm
when I first posted it, it displayed on my computer with a bunch of code characters that were invisible when I did the cut and paste.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/September/2007 at 8:54am
Originally posted by videoguy videoguy wrote:

Good question. But would the cops speak with Carl?
Great question, VG. Carl's probably on the PD's 10 Most Unwanted List. What do you think?

This was originally posted on the Probe:  Nyberg " So is it crappy that the local chapter of the FOP drafted a letter calling me a liar before the FPPD even took my statement?"

Remember asking about this onboard and never getting an answer.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/September/2007 at 9:57am
Is it possible to get a straight simple answer anymore? The purpose of FOIA was to increase the transparency of government not provide yet another barrier.

It's just twisted.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/September/2007 at 10:25am
Guess they figure they can have the appearance of transparency but make it hard enough so you lose interest and never follow through.
BBones View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/September/2007 at 1:22am
I still do not understand how the fact the camera was not on, is an issue the defense is bringing up.  Was there not eye witnesses? Like the three or so  other cops?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>