Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mr. Backman wants to know who is watching the kids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mr. Backman wants to know who is watching the kids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justaparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 12:59am
Guess they will be pointing the finger in another direction... Who's next on the hit list?
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 1:13am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

Very few things at the Park get cancelled .......
Well DC then we must have the worst luck b/c everything the kids would have liked to do was cancelled. In fact, I'm trying to remember just one class we signed up the kids for in the past several yrs that wasn't cancelled. Last Spring they each picked 2 and got none. Why bother looking through the catalog unless it's a sports team. The kids are attending classes at the OP Park District.

Edited by logic - 18/October/2007 at 1:14am
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 1:24am
Originally posted by justaparker justaparker wrote:

Guess they will be pointing the finger in another direction... Who's next on the hit list?
Who's pointing fingers, justa? Don't think it was understood the "Youth Commission' included the kids. Maybe all the children should be listed under "Youth Commission" on the village website:) The problem as stated in Ms Connor's letter is not having enough functioning, present, interested (what would you call them?) adult YC board members.  
BBones View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 1:27am
Logic,....
  Please step back a second.
If your 2 kids are the only ones to sign up for,...... what ever,.... do you think the Park should expend the resoarces needed for the class?

Come on be real,...
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 1:32am
"The commission, together with advisors, shall carry out a comprehensive program of youth welfare and activities, organize various agencies, and volunteer organizations to participate, and to recommend legislation to facilitate its policies."

So let me get this straight: The group of kids, together with their advisors, shall carry out a comprehensive program of youth welfare and activities, the kids shall organize various agencies, and volunteer organizations to participate, and the kids will reccommend legislation to facillitate it's policies. OK now I get it:)
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 1:47am
Originally posted by BBones BBones wrote:

Logic,....
  Please step back a second.
If your 2 kids are the only ones to sign up for,...... what ever,.... do you think the Park should expend the resoarces needed for the class?

Come on be real,...
Of course not , Bones. DC is saying look at everything they offer but for kids that might want something other than sports it's not there. I'm not blaming the Park District, they put the classes out there, have no control over whether more than a few kids will sign-up. I really don't know why more kids aren't interested. So if our grandkids would enjoy an art or craft or whatever class they're out of luck. So we end up going to OP where there's a variety of things to do and pay out-of-district fees.
denny View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 7:04am
[QUOTE=BBones]

It would appear they have funds available for trips to local attractions and have used them for such.  hmm.  what else.....

Who is doing the Accounting for these funds?  Mary Win Connor?  The village?  How much is left?  Where does it go?  It seems the Historical Society got skewered over the questions and we know they are not part of the Village, officially.    Not to mention  ' the raid'.

Denny Crane!
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 7:12am
Ask yourselves why they are being cancelled..LACK OF PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT...NOT ENOUGH KIDS SIGNED UP TO TAKE THE CLASS.
Dr. Barbie View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Barbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Sentry Sentry wrote:

More more ladies. Please. More. I am hanging on your every words. This is like a novel you just can't put down. More ladies. More. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Move along, move along.  Nothing for you to see here.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 8:36am

Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

See? Do you have young children? Why don't you know what the Youth Commission is?

no, i don't see. no, don't have 4th -8th grade children.

what the heck is it?

It is a large group of kids that meets regularly. The kids recruit other kids to join the group, they promote hugs not drugs, plan fund raisers, parties etc.... a group of kids that keep busy doing fun healthy things. To head this group is voluntary, for kids to join this group is free. What more would you like to know?

I'm with citizen.  So the kids are the youth commission?  Than what does Mary Connor do?  Where is there information about these group activities published or available (for us, the taxpayers to view...it is our money after all being used)?  When have they EVER solicited for volunteers? 
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 8:55am
ok. now i get it.
youth commission is a misnomer. it started out w/a grand purpose that was never fulfilled.
now it is a group of kids that recruit kids they feel comfortable with and do fun things together.
ms. connor states in her letter this group has never used allocated village funds. that would be most appropriate. as would changing its name.
what a dummy i am.

but the mayor says he is calling a meeting w/other local gov't bodies to sort out/consolidate fp youth activities. that agenda would indeed be in line w/mission of Youth Commission.
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Barbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 8:59am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

I'm with citizen.  Where is there information about these group activities published or available (for us, the taxpayers to view...it is our money after all being used)?  When have they EVER solicited for volunteers? 

As I read her letter the Youth Commission raises its own money through service organization donations and fundraisers.  How does that translate to taxpayers money?

I have seen and heard solicitations for volunteers through other parents and the schools.  Since you don't have kids and have no interaction with the schools you probably won't know about it.

I'm sure if anyone is interested in volunteering a call to Village Hall could put you in touch with the group.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 9:09am
That doesn't answer the question of why the Youth Commission's posted list of "advisors" includes people that have moved, resigned or are disinterested. Why are new appointments not being made?
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Barbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 9:12am
Since I'm not involved I couldn't begin to speculate.  Again, I think the best source for information is the group itself.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 9:29am
Does the village still have a Community Education Council?
Does anyone remember this group? Their mission and purpose was to facilitate cooperation and focus among the various interested parties. To avoid duplicative efforts, assess the needs and apply coordinated responses to needs as they were identified.

The last I heard, they were focused almost exclusively on the Health Fair, inter-generational breakfast and all-school picnic. The last Chair I recall was John Erickson.

Anyone? Bueller?
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 9:32am

As stated in her letter, to the Review, the Youth Commission is in need of adult help. What better way to provide that help than to appoint interested adults to the advisory (board?). So if the VC is looking for an answer as to who is responsible for providing activities for our youth and how they are provided, why is this important resource being overlooked? Doesn't make one dam* bit of sense, unless it's politics not kids or community. 

jailbird View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jailbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 9:52am

Well the people who think the programs cost to much are probably the
same ones who drive Beemers, Jags and get their meathooks manicured
weekly all while buying the kids they dont care to watch $150 Air
Jordans and using the link card.

Ooooh, you mean the black people! I get it. Why don't you just say so?
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 9:58am
Are appointments to  the Youth Commission advisory (board?) tainted with the "give sugar, get sugar" paranoia of the past?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 9:59am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Doesn't make one dam* bit of sense, unless it's politics not kids or community. 

ding ding ding, I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head.  (It looks good on a resume or a mayor's website).  http://www.mayorcalderone.com/index-1.html  According to his site he "reactivated the youth commission"
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 11:04am
Did I say black people? Yuppies drive beemers...my my we read alot into a statement.
jailbird View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jailbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 11:06am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 11:46am
Originally posted by jailbird jailbird wrote:

i feel for you, jb. how can you argue w/denial? i'm dealing w/it over on the 'are you happy, tony' topic.
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 12:14pm
"Ask yourselves why they are being cancelled..LACK OF PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT...NOT ENOUGH KIDS SIGNED UP TO TAKE THE CLASS"

I don't think it is lack of involvement. I think folks have gotten used to there not being many classes for kids so no one realizes it.  Well, there still aren't that many classes, but it has improved since my son was born ...
And re the grandparents breakfast (which is what I think you mean with the intergenerational whatever) not everyone has grandparents living here or even living. My son does not even like the school picnic, too many long lines and unsupervised kids. I think other events would be more appropriate.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 12:49pm
The Grandparents Breakfast is great..and for those with no Grandparents living or near..bring an elderly neighbor you may make them very happy and a little less lonely.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 2:58pm

The Grandparents Breakfast is great..and for those with no Grandparents
living or near..bring an elderly neighbor you may make them very happy
and a little less lonely.

As usual you miss the big picture. Community Ed was created to avoid the tendency of things to get stale, stagnant and inbred. It was supposed to be an ongoing "working" group that would serve as guide and clearinghouse to meet changing needs and challenges. Instead they cherry-picked a couple of things to the exclusion of everything else.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 5:20pm
Then move out of town and go live in Perfectville USA..bet they cant wait to have you..and hey no Tony so that that should make the move even more exciting...BYEEEEE
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 5:46pm
yeah, watcher. love it or leave it! :)

ok, on this topic we've discovered 2 apparently village created committees. Youth Commission and Community Education Council.
their missions sound mostly brilliant and much needed.

so what happended after the idea stage? why have they faltered?

Edited by citizen - 18/October/2007 at 5:48pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 6:36pm

Then move out of town and go live in Perfectville USA..bet they cant
wait to have you..and hey no Tony so that that should make the move
even more exciting...BYEEEEE

According to you, I already live in Perfectville USA. (Try to be at least consistent in your inconsistency.)

Except for the gangbangers, and "the people who think the programs cost to much are probably the same ones who drive Beemers, Jags and get their meathooks manicured weekly all while buying the kids they dont care to watch $150 Air Jordans and using the link card."

Have some more Kool-aid.

Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 8:03pm
This town is not perfect...but you seem to despise everything about it...so shoo.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2007 at 11:08pm
here's my beef.

the 'protectors' of forest park/calderone/life is really good here refuse to acknowledge that the town revolves around a clique. yeah, just like middle school. mostly boys, but great female cheerleaders. there are the included/colluded and then there are all the rest.

so y'all sit in the middle of protectedness, priviledge (fp style) and are consistently confounded, threatened, outraged that all the rest don't see life here as you do. how freaking convenient. what baloney!

you establish a Youth Commission w/great & lofty goals to incorporate/economize activities thruout the town, but turns out it is actually a private club - by invitation only!

the Youth Commssion is the prototype for most everything important that happens in this town. nothing is what it seems. nothing is consistent. everything is mis-labeled. classic recipe for cuckoo, neurotic.

and when citizens inquire as to the nature of such 'committees' - well aren't we just a bunch of chronic complainers/scandel mongering/paranoid folks that should move to another town!

fyi - it's sickening. it's hypcritical. y'all want it both ways.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>