Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Police , Fire, Village Departments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weather Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weather Report
    Posted: 25/October/2007 at 3:32pm
Looks like it is currently sunny and 70 degrees at Hedonism III aka the Forest Park police department. However the forecast calls for cloudy skies and turbulent times over the next day or so. Stay tuned for your latest Hedonism III aka the Forest Park police department storm watch.
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 4:53pm
Know something the rest of us don't?  Does it involve another allegation of misconduct?  Please elaborate.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 5:40pm
never took you for a tease, sentry.

so, without divulging info, how does our police dept make important 'announcements?"
do they call a press conference? who do they release important info to?
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 6:02pm
Oh, for.....

10/25/2007 5:17:00 PM  Email this article Print this article 
Police sergeant indicted by feds
Felony counts stem from 2003 arrest of suspected panhandler

By JOSH ADAMS

Web Extra!
A Forest Park police sergeant was indicted on felony charges yesterday by a federal grand jury for allegedly using excessive force during a 2003 arrest. Further, the officer is accused of falsifying information in his report of the incident with the intent to "impede, obstruct and influence" the outcome of the case, according to federal records.

The charges against Sgt. Michael Murphy were handed down by the U.S. District Court in Chicago after the case was presented to a special grand jury convened in March. Both counts in the indictment stem from the Aug. 6, 2003, arrest of Sidney Hooks, during which Murphy is alleged to have used pepper spray and a baton. The indictment makes no mention of the reason for Hooks' arrest or the extent of his injuries, but a lawsuit filed by Hooks in 2004 offers a detailed accounting.

An indictment is not an indication of guilt or innocence, rather that a grand jury has found sufficient evidence to warrant a trial.

Court records filed with the Oct. 24 indictment reveal that Murphy remains free on $4,500 personal recognizance bail, pending his arraignment.

"He will be receiving a date for an arraignment and ordered to appear without being arrested or anything like that," A spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney's office, Randall Samborn, said.

If convicted, Murphy could be sentenced to 30 years in prison and ordered to pay $500,000 in fines.

Village officials confirmed their knowledge of the charges and released a brief written statement Wednesday through the police department.

"Sgt. Michael Murphy, a 17-year veteran of the Forest Park Police Department, has been indicted by the United States Justice Department. The indictment includes one count of obstruction of justice and one count involving a civil rights violation," the statement read. "The indictment was issued on Oct. 24, 2007, following an investigation conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Sgt. Murphy has been placed on paid administrative leave."

According to Hooks' civil complaint filed in February 2004, Murphy arrived at the tail end of a police response in which two officers were attempting to determine whether Hooks was panhandling. The two other officers responding to the call were satisfied that an arrest was not necessary and explained as much to Murphy, the suit contends.

After walking approximately half a block from the scene, Hooks was allegedly apprehended by Murphy, who was exiting his squad car with pepper spray in-hand. Hooks was allegedly sprayed in the face and then struck repeatedly with a baton, resulting in a broken wrist. After being kicked and handcuffed, Hooks was transported to the police station where Murphy "dragged Mr. Hooks approximately 20 feet," according to the suit.

Hooks was later taken to a nearby hospital where he was treated for his injuries.

"Mr. Hooks was falsely charged with resisting arrest and aggravated assault of a police officer," defense attorney Arthur Loevy said in his 12-page complaint. "The charges against Mr. Hooks were dropped by the prosecutor."

A copy of the 2003 arrest report was requested by the Review on Oct. 25 under the Freedom of Information Act. By law, the village has seven days to respond.

The attorney who handled the civil case for Hooks in 2004, Loevy, did not return a phone call Wednesday.

Hooks' lawsuit was ultimately settled out of court in June 2004.

Murphy's indictment can be added to a growing pile of personnel issues hanging a black cloud over the police department in recent years. Most notably, since 2002 the department has seen a sexual harassment suit, the firing of another sergeant and the resignation of a lieutenant. It was also revealed in August that a third sergeant in the department has ties to Antoin "Tony" Rezko, who was indicted by federal investigators on corruption charges 12 months ago.

Also in August, a patrol officer was accused of raping a Forest Park woman. County prosecutors declined to press criminal charges in that case, however, the officer is still facing the possibility of disciplinary action from the village.

Mayor Anthony Calderone has stood by Police Chief Jim Ryan despite the disciplinary issues facing the department. Calderone acknowledged that an allegation of wrongdoing can have a besmirching effect on the department's reputation. However, the mayor discouraged the notion that these incidents, viewed collectively, are damaging.

"Every circumstance has different circumstances, so I don't believe there should be a cumulative effect," Calderone said.

Employee disciplinary issues are a reality regardless of the department, and "to think that we're never going to have an employee ... that doesn't do something they shouldn't have done" would be "unrealistic," Calderone said.

dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 6:21pm
Let the castration begin..I can just see Sentry drooling all over this.
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 7:14pm
Yah. It's all my fault that Murphy is yet the latest criminal by product of the disgraced Ryan and the now disgraced Calderone. I will now have a glass of wine and enjoy the fact that I have been right all along about these idiots and what they have done to this town. You go ahead and keep making excuses for them and I will continue the process of holding them accountable.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 7:41pm
I made no excuses. 
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

DC, no castration; but really even you have to wonder about so many things happening that are bad in such a small police department. 
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 9:09pm
Wonder yes ..convict without all of the facts.no.
JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

DC, no castration; but really even you have to wonder about so many things happening that are bad in such a small police department. 

Wink

Edited by JBWB - 01/April/2008 at 8:21am
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Sentry Sentry wrote:

Looks like it is currently sunny and 70 degrees at Hedonism III aka the Forest Park police department. However the forecast calls for cloudy skies and turbulent times over the next day or so. Stay tuned for your latest Hedonism III aka the Forest Park police department storm watch.

Hey Sentry you got out of the cage again?
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 11:01pm

Wonder yes ..convict without all of the facts.no.

Here are the facts. The criminal Murphy has been indicted by a real Federal grand jury based on evidence and a case that was made by Patrick Fitzgerald's office. You know. The guy that got the crook Ryan(not our crook Ryan at least not yet)and all those hire truck creeps from Daley's neighborhood and even Scooter Libby. Fitzgerald ain't looking for things to fill his day with. He is looking for corrupt public officials to nail to a cross with air tight cases. I hear he has about a 99% conviction rate on those he indicts. Looks like he found him one (for now) right here in Forest Park. The investigation was done by the FBI and not some over-paid overweight political hack that retired from the state police and is looking to make a consultants fee. The trial will be in a real court with a real judge and a real jury and not Calderone's kangaroo court headed up by a rag newspaper publisher that looks like 10 miles of bad road and a garbage man. This creep Murphy is toast. And I mean the kiss you kids and your wife good-bye because you goin' to prison boy toast. This guy F'd up real good and got caught by the best. Those are the facts and your man Calderone is done. Keep It Going Patrick Fitzgerald! And please don't stop till you get to the top!     
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/October/2007 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by JBWB JBWB wrote:

Hey Sentry you got out of the cage again?

You mean the cage Murphy is going to be crying like a little girl in for the next 30 years or so?   
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 12:25am
Let's just say that these do appear to be very serious allegations, and while we need to let the criminal justice system run its course, at some point, there comes a time when multiple allegations against multiple officers are at least persuasive evidence of a lack of a proper tone at the top.

While I'm sure Patrick Fitzgerald wouldn't mind either Rod Blagojevich's or Barack Obama's current jobs, there has been nothing to suggest that any prosecution on his part has been politically motivated.  For his office to go after a small suburban police officer at least strongly suggests there was something worth investigating here.  At some point, the police department needs to stop getting the benefit of everyone's doubt, and given the controversies surrounding Harder, Frawley, Johnsen, the officer in the suspected rape case, the sexual harassment allegations, and now the indictment for alleged excessive use of force (and similar allegations before that) over the past four years, I'm thinking that the time is now.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 1:22am
Believe there has been more going on behind the scenes regarding the Murphy/Hooks issue than most of us will ever know. How did this go from being settled out of court to a grand jury indictment?

Edited by logic - 26/October/2007 at 2:20am
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 7:42am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Believe there has been more going on behind the scenes regarding the Murphy/Hooks issue than most of us will ever know. How did this go from being settled out of court to a grand jury indictment?

The out of court settlement was a civil case. The new indictment is a criminal charge. The People versus Sgt. Murphy.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 9:32am
Please leave your comments about his wife and kids out of this...thats low even for you Sentry. 
Dr. Barbie View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Barbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 10:02am

As a disgraced former employee of the PD it stands to reason that Sentry would be squealing like a happy little piglet over this. 

As I did with the rape allegation, I will wait until ALL the facts come out before making my decision.  That's the way jurys work.

logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 10:16am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

The out of court settlement was a civil case. The new indictment is a criminal charge. The People versus Sgt. Murphy.
Wonder how many people will be licking their chops over this one, besides Sentry? Wonder who knew this was coming?
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 10:22am

Please leave your comments about his wife and kids out of this...thats low even for you Sentry.

He should have thought about his wife and kids before committing crimes under color of law. Anyway. His wife is the disgraced Ryan's secretary over at Hedonism III aka the Forest Park police department. My prediction? She will be indicted as well for participating in this cover-up. You think this all ends with Murphy in an orange jumpsuit and slip on gym shoes and in a concrete 11' X 6' cell alone? No way. Stay tuned. More to come. Oh yah. More to come.
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 10:24am

Wonder how many people will be licking their chops over this one, besides Sentry? Wonder who knew this was coming? [/QUOTE]

Who cares? Did someone make Murphy break a colored man's arm for no reason then falsify the police report to cover this up and then lie to the FBI? Where are your priorities?     
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Dr. Barbie Dr. Barbie wrote:

As a disgraced former employee of the PD it stands to reason that Sentry would be squealing like a happy little piglet over this.

As I did with the rape allegation, I will wait until ALL the facts come out before making my decision. That's the way jury's work.

Another Einstein excuse maker for do-nothing Calderone and the disgraced Ryan heard from. Never worked for a police department. Guess your Spidy senses are a little off. And as far as jury's go? Go ahead and wait it out Doc. But remember that this criminal will be in front of a real jury just like Cody eventually was and the outcome? Hate to spoil the ending for you but. Guilty as charged. Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Warm up the cot's for the rest of your partners in crime that will surely follow.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 10:31am

I believe he paid his dues.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 10:52am

I believe he paid his dues.

How, by getting promoted?
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Barbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 11:06am
Who's the one with the ties to Rezko?  Is that Frawley or Harder?
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 11:10am

Who's the one with the ties to Rezko? Is that Frawley or Harder?

Did you mean to say ties to Bruno? That is do-nothing Calderone. See. Two can play the gypsy mis-direction game.    
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 11:11am
Was Murphy promoted? He is to whom I am referring.

Edited by logic - 26/October/2007 at 11:14am
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Barbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Sentry Sentry wrote:

Who's the one with the ties to Rezko?  Is that Frawley or Harder?

Did you mean to say ties to Bruno? That is do-nothing Calderone. See. Two can play the gypsy mis-direction game.    

It the article it mentions a police sargent with ties to Rezko.  Which one is that?
Sentry View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 11:18am
Like I said. Bruno is tied to Calderone. And they are both tied to Serpico who is tied to Moore who is tied to Welch.
jailbird View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jailbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2007 at 11:23am
I thought Doolin & Johnsen were the ones tied to Bruno and made money from him.

Edited by jailbird - 26/October/2007 at 11:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>