Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Police , Fire, Village Departments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TIME FOR RYAN TO GO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

yeah, but...
if the mandate was clear and had the full vc behind it, and a proper chief was hired, there would be no reason for any mayor to fiddle in day-to-day.

Yeah, but...
Pope was hand-picked by MATC and endorsed by the full VC. Ryan was hand-picked by MATC and approved by the last majority. Why would you think the NEXT hand-picked by MATC chief would be different?
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Insider View Drop Down
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 3:43pm
Ryan's motivation for over stepping Calderone on the Johnsen deal is simple and everyone knows it, Johnsen was a constant threat to taking Ryan's job.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 5:17pm
Have to keep reminding myself to behave. (sorry off-topic)
JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 5:26pm
I say Carl Nyberg for police chief, that way job opportunities will open up for serving breakfast, lunch and diner with white gloves to the criminals in the jails.

Oooops almost forgot, the police will also ask for permission from a suspect if it is OK to arrest them.
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 5:27pm
Carl will also appoint Bill dope Dwyer to beat up the police officers if they look funny at someone.

Let the show begin!
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

yeah, but...
if the mandate was clear and had the full vc behind it, and a proper chief was hired, there would be no reason for any mayor to fiddle in day-to-day.

Yeah, but...
Pope was hand-picked by MATC and endorsed by the full VC. Ryan was hand-picked by MATC and approved by the last majority. Why would you think the NEXT hand-picked by MATC chief would be different?

well, i've been thinking all week that the problem is our stupid form of gov't, that creates & breeds at least half the problems in the town. but i didn't want to divert attention.

too much power on one person's plate. bad system.

Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 8:42pm
The Mayor showing unwavering support for a chief that has been ineffective in correcting the problems within our PD is one problem. If he is the only one who can ask for a resignation or look for a replacement, that's another. The VC votes to approve a candidate for hiring, but only one person can fire or retire a Department Head? Is that correct?
At%20a%20loss

Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by administrator administrator wrote:

The Mayor showing unwavering support for a chief that has been ineffective in correcting the problems within our PD is one problem. If he is the only one who can ask for a resignation or look for a replacement, that's another. The VC votes to approve a candidate for hiring, but only one person can fire or retire a Department Head? Is that correct?
At%20a%20loss

What's the problem with that?  Don't you understand JBWB's point?  Calderone supports Ryan, so if you support Calderone and think he's a decent mayor overall, you have absolutely no right whatsoever to complain about any decision he makes.  After all, you are either with him, or you are against him.  Since you voted to "keep it going," then you should just shut up.  Otherwise, we might have Carl Nyberg as police chief.
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 11:01pm
From what I remember, you used to like Nyberg. At least he has a degree, which is what your favorite candidate used to push for in a department head.
Taunt
Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by administrator administrator wrote:

From what I remember, you used to like Nyberg. At least he has a degree, which is what your favorite candidate used to push for in a department head.
Taunt

As you might have surmised, I meant my post mostly as a jab at JBWB.  That said, there are things I like about Nyberg, although I have always doubted that we see eye to eye on most political issues.  When it comes to local politics, though, I really don't care what someone's view is on national political issues.
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/November/2007 at 11:23pm
Citizen was right about there being a problem with our "local" system of government. If the Mayor or a commissioner is the only person who can retain or discharge a department head, doesn't that create a symbiotic relationship between the two? That might be fine in an idyllic situation, but leaves too much room for undue influence and personal ties. It's a form of patronage that makes me uncomfortable. It essentially means that we may have to wait 4 years for a new police chief. How depressing.

Insider View Drop Down
Lurker
Lurker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/November/2007 at 8:07am

Correction..... 3.5 and counting.

Katie View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2008 at 10:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123