Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Police , Fire, Village Departments
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mark Hosty hosts fundraiser for indicted cop
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Hosty hosts fundraiser for indicted cop

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
Carl Nyberg View Drop Down
Resident
Resident


Joined: 04/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 253
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Nyberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mark Hosty hosts fundraiser for indicted cop
    Posted: 20/December/2007 at 5:45pm
Read the details in the Forest Park Review (Josh Adams).

I'm taken aback.

The Village of Forest Park has already settled the civil case in this matter and didn't take the time to contest the facts in court.

The officer in question has numerous allegations of losing his temper in professional situations.

The the guy bringing the indictment has a 100% conviction rate in public integrity cases, including a former Illinois governor and VP Dick Cheney's chief of staff.

Not only is Hosty standing by the indicted cop--who is still drawing a salary from FP taxpayers while doing no work--but it sounds like Mike Curry, Rory Hoskins and Marty Tellalian are all at least OK with Hosty raising money to defended a federally indicted cop.

Let me see if I can explain things in a way that even Forest Park commissioners can understand them.

1. There is litigation against the Village of Forest Park that alleges misconduct by PD personnel.
2. If these plaintiffs prevail a juries will be asked to assess damages against the village.
3. The attorneys defending the village will try to portray these incidents as aberrations if they can't portray them as flawed judgment by individuals. The attorneys for the plaintiffs will try to portray the Forest Park PD as having systemic problems that supervisors (chief of police, village manager, mayor and board of commissioners) overlooked. The more successfully the plaintiffs' attorneys can argue that the village knew about bad behavior, but chose to look the other way the larger the judgment will be against the village.

So, when commissioners embrace cops that use excessive force against Black civilians, it kinda looks like beating the crap out of Blacks from outside Forest Park is department policy, condoned by the politicians.

I am truly astounded Hosty would be so arrogant. But I'm even more dumbfounded that Curry (an attorney), Hoskins (a Black man) and Tellalian (the political opposition) can't see that Hosty hosting a fundraiser for the federally indicted (Irish-American) cop is morally repugnant and contrary to the legal and financial interests of the village.
Back to Top
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9659
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2007 at 6:01pm
yes, a commissioner hosting a fundraiser for a police officer under indictment is beyond the pale. staggeringly stupid.
 
what can/could other commissioners do to intercede? if anyone knows.
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2007 at 6:18pm
I think it speaks volumes that Hosty is holding this fundraiser outside of Forest Park. 
Back to Top
Carl Nyberg View Drop Down
Resident
Resident


Joined: 04/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 253
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Nyberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2007 at 6:23pm
The other commissioners seem to think there's nothing wrong with the idea.

Commissioners Mike Curry and Marty Tellalian confirmed they too, are aware of the event and said they have not decided whether they will participate.

Hoskins said he will be out of town on the date of the event and "may or may not make a donation."

The village has already settled this case.

Rather than calling for accountability for "White" cops that use illegal violence against Blacks, Rory Hoskins is considering donations to the defense fund for the "White" cops. When does being a "go along, get along" politician crossover into being....
Back to Top
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 02/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2863
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2007 at 8:54pm
OK Carl, simmer down a bit.

I agree that this move on Hosty's part is idiotic, but Hosty has shown time and again that he believes he is subject to different rules than others. I mean rules in the sense of legal laws, local ordinances, as well as rules of ethical behavior. For example, its pretty obvious that Hosty has an apartment above Cocina Lobo. His name is on the mailbox. Living there is illegal, but it doesnt matter. So nothing new here.

I think you are WAY off base in presuming that just because Hoskins is Black that he should frame issues in racial terms. He was elected for ALL the people of FP, not just the African-Americans. Hoskins is not Al Sharpton. I usually agree with you, Carl, but on this point you are being an idiot.

However, I think its hilarious what Hoskins had to say:

"I'm not prepared to pass judgment on whether an elected official should or should not do something," Commissioner Rory Hoskins said. . .Hoskins said he will be out of town on the date of the event and "may or may not make a donation."

Way to cover your ass! I may or may not do this, may or may not pass judgement on it, may or may not have my lips glued to Calderone's butt, etc., etc.
Back to Top
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9659
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2007 at 9:27pm
childhood loyalties supercede oaths/duties of elected officials and police officers to their public ?
uh, rory, please point out anything in legal/civic history that supports this statement. anything.
Back to Top
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 04/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 3031
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2007 at 10:16pm
Carl, to be fair to the other commissioners, it sounds like Tellalian is going more out of curiosity, Curry acknowledged considering whether there was a conflict, and Hoskins was a bit skeptical, as well.  I agree it is telling that Hosty's hosting the benefit in Hillside when he manages a bar in town, though.

Edited by KPO'M - 20/December/2007 at 10:17pm
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2007 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Carl Nyberg Carl Nyberg wrote:


So, when commissioners embrace cops that use excessive force against Black civilians, it kinda looks like beating the crap out of Blacks from outside Forest Park is department policy, condoned by the politicians.
Mr Nyberg, why do you continue to play the race card when no charge has been made against Sgt Murphy on the basis of ethnic or racial discrimination on his part?
Back to Top
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 02/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2863
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2007 at 1:09am
Hey Logic, do you know for a fact that nothing has been said about Murphy's actions having racial overtones? Did you read the Complaint? If not, you are blowing as much smoke as you say Carl is doing.

IF in fact the Complaint against Murphy does not specify racist behavior does not in itself mean that it didnt happen or was not a part of Murphy's behavior. Maybe there was not enough evidence for that, but it doesnt mean it didnt happen.

Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2007 at 2:12am
Back to Top
vorots View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen
Avatar

Joined: 04/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 429
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vorots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2007 at 9:34am
Not sure what is so strange about Hillside, doesn't he manage a bar there too? What difference does it make where the event is hosted? It is a fundraiser for a legal defense. I personally think that the guy is probably guilty as hell, but we are in America where everybody is given the right to a fair trial, innocent until proven guilty, counsel, etc. etc. Sorry, but I don't see the conflict. He is helping to provide for a friend's defense. He is not saying that he agrees with his behavior or that he thinks that the actions were appropriate, just that the guy should be able to afford a lawyer who can and will actually fight this thing. God bless America for our liberties and right to a fair trial.
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2007 at 9:39am
Perhaps then, vorots, Hosty will next set up a fundraiser for Drew Peterson or at least offer up one of his bars to host it.  What's strange about doing it in Hillside?  Could it be that he doesn't want anyone from FP seeing who is attending and figures if they do it in Hillside it will keep curious people away?  
Back to Top
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9659
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2007 at 10:11am
Originally posted by vorots vorots wrote:

Sorry, but I don't see the conflict. He is helping to provide for a friend's defense.
 
i feel like i've landed on mars.
 
i do not object to a fundraiser, i object to our vc hosting/attending a fundraiser for an officer while he is under indictment.
 
spin it anyway you want, but once again, our village officials take the lowest road.
no sense of duty or professionalism to their elected positions. it's all about them and theirs. another 'club.'
all dunderheads, some w/serious f*ck you attitude. 
 
i could not be more disappointed.
 
 


Edited by citizen - 23/December/2007 at 10:17pm
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2007 at 10:29am
This guy Murphy has already cost the village $50K plus whatever attorney, court costs were incurred with the settlement and now a member of our village council is sponsoring a fundraiser.  And the other village council members think it's okay.  What next, a village paid for retirement party for Jim Shaw (his settlement was much lower)! 
 
Sure doesn't give me a good feeling that the ones making our village decisions think this is okay.   Unfreakinbelievable.
Back to Top
Carl Nyberg View Drop Down
Resident
Resident


Joined: 04/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 253
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Nyberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2007 at 1:48pm
vorots, do you have a problem with the village paying the salary of a guy who is probably "guilty as hell" for 18-24 months while he does nothing for the village?
Back to Top
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 02/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2863
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2007 at 3:32pm
Carl, the village has to do that according to his union contracts. If I am wrong then enlighten me. Maybe there is a loophole through which the village could change this, again, if you know, enlighten me.
Back to Top
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 02/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2863
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2007 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Hey bigmouth, b/c I can read.http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/iln/pr/chicago/2007/pr1025_01.pdf


Ok, so I see in there where it says that they are not saying that Murphy did this because the guy is Black. But that doesnt mean that racism had nothing to do with it.

The larger issues are that (1) The village settled the civil case without any fight, which indicates either they knew they would lose the case in court or (2) they have no balls. In this case I think it is reason #1 at work.

The real problem here is that for Hosty to do this makes it seem as if Hosty condones Murphy's behavior or thinks its all a bunch of BS. If it was BS, why did the village settle? As usual, nothing there morons do makes any sense once logic is applied.
Back to Top
Katie View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar


Joined: 04/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 620
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2007 at 9:45pm
Vorots, Hosty not only is hosting this fundraiser, he is also quoted as saying the Murphy has been falsely accused. There may come a day when Hosty has to vote on whether or not Murphy continues to receive a salary or remains on the PD at all. His behavior and statement suggests that he will have a conflict of interest. Will he recuse himself from the vote?

Also, I find it quite disturbing that all of the other commissioners cannot recognize how this  seeming conflict of interest might be a significant problem. I particularly don't understand how an attorney (Curry) would not have been more careful in stating his position.

But then, we have a Lt. still on the PD who was convicted in court and subsequently received a promotion, so why should I be surprised?


Edited by Katie - 21/December/2007 at 9:51pm
Back to Top
vorots View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen
Avatar

Joined: 04/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 429
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vorots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2007 at 11:43am
Carl, No I don't since he is only PROBABLY. Not found guilty, not admitted to guilt. Innoncent until proven guilty ring a bell. Ask the guy down in Atlanta who was crucified by the press for the Olympic Park bombing. He was probably guilty and the press had a field day ruining his life. Oh, wait, sorry about that buddy, sorry to make the life a living cluster f**k. Guess you really didn't do it after all. The press and what they choose to report is not our justice system. Let the damn thing work like it is supposed to.

Katie, I might be confused but at what point does the village counsel vote on hiring or firing police officers? Isn't that the Police and Fire Commission? When would he ever even have the possibility of having to recuse himself?
Back to Top
JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull
Avatar

Joined: 02/November/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 288
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2007 at 12:04pm
VOROTS,you're not confused but Katie is certainly. When does the village council hire or fire police officers? Never last I checked. But of course this is not the last crazy comment by another un-informed poster.
 
Katie can you check your facts first? Beginning to sound like a Carl Nyberg musing,
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
Back to Top
JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull
Avatar

Joined: 02/November/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 288
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2007 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by videoguy videoguy wrote:

Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Hey bigmouth, b/c I can read.http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/iln/pr/chicago/2007/pr1025_01.pdf


Ok, so I see in there where it says that they are not saying that Murphy did this because the guy is Black. But that doesnt mean that racism had nothing to do with it.

The larger issues are that (1) The village settled the civil case without any fight, which indicates either they knew they would lose the case in court or (2) they have no balls. In this case I think it is reason #1 at work.

The real problem here is that for Hosty to do this makes it seem as if Hosty condones Murphy's behavior or thinks its all a bunch of BS. If it was BS, why did the village settle? As usual, nothing there morons do makes any sense once logic is applied.
 
Videoguy is starting to remind me of one of those commercials;
 
Bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla bla, Bla ....bla...bla.....bla bla ....bla
 
Video is the broken record and broken records can't be fixed.
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2007 at 12:48pm
Why is it, when we dislike someone absolutely everything they do is suspect? This same old scenario has played out time and time again on this forum in regards to the Mayor, Harder, Doolin, etc....... Do we lose our ability to see anything beyond our distrust or, at times, animosity? The VC does deal with personnel issues, don't know what their OFFICIAL input is as far as hiring/firing police officers, unofficial input is a whole other story. Do believe the hand-selected F&P Comm does exactly what's expected of them. As far as the Hosty fund raiser for friend Murphy being a conflict of interest, I'm on the fence but can see both sides. Time will tell and people will be watching.
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2007 at 1:25pm
Nice big off street parking lot at Art's for those that would like to see what cars are corraled there next Saturday evening.  Go have dinner at Q's up the street and then cruise by. 
Back to Top
JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull
Avatar

Joined: 02/November/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 288
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2007 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Nice big off street parking lot at Art's for those that would like to see what cars are corraled there next Saturday evening.  Go have dinner at Q's up the street and then cruise by. 
 
Somebody told me they have big fat burgers at Art's, Piehead you should go and try one and then you can be right in the action.
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
Back to Top
JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull
Avatar

Joined: 02/November/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 288
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2007 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Why is it, when we dislike someone absolutely everything they do is suspect? This same old scenario has played out time and time again on this forum in regards to the Mayor, Harder, Doolin, etc....... Do we lose our ability to see anything beyond our distrust or, at times, animosity? The VC does deal with personnel issues, don't know what their OFFICIAL input is as far as hiring/firing police officers, unofficial input is a whole other story. Do believe the hand-selected F&P Comm does exactly what's expected of them. As far as the Hosty fund raiser for friend Murphy being a conflict of interest, I'm on the fence but can see both sides. Time will tell and people will be watching.
 
What the hell does hand picked mean, and who does the hand picking? How do you get a NON hand picked group?
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2007 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by JBWB JBWB wrote:

Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Nice big off street parking lot at Art's for those that would like to see what cars are corraled there next Saturday evening.  Go have dinner at Q's up the street and then cruise by. 
 
Somebody told me they have big fat burgers at Art's, Piehead you should go and try one and then you can be right in the action.
 
They only do lunch.  I can't get there at that time.  I heard the bar is a smoke bar.
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2007 at 2:46am
What's that old adage? There are no stupid questions........
Back to Top
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9659
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2007 at 9:34am
Originally posted by JBWB JBWB wrote:

Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Why is it, when we dislike someone absolutely everything they do is suspect? This same old scenario has played out time and time again on this forum in regards to the Mayor, Harder, Doolin, etc....... Do we lose our ability to see anything beyond our distrust or, at times, animosity? The VC does deal with personnel issues, don't know what their OFFICIAL input is as far as hiring/firing police officers, unofficial input is a whole other story. Do believe the hand-selected F&P Comm does exactly what's expected of them. As far as the Hosty fund raiser for friend Murphy being a conflict of interest, I'm on the fence but can see both sides. Time will tell and people will be watching.
 
What the hell does hand picked mean (carefully chosen to support one's goals), and who does the hand picking? (the mayor) How do you get a NON hand picked group? (you elect them)
Back to Top
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 02/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2863
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2007 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by JBWB JBWB wrote:

Videoguy is starting to remind me of one of those commercials;
 

Bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla bla, Bla ....bla...bla.....bla bla ....bla

 

Video is the broken record and broken records can't be fixed.


Very funny, if we were in 5th Grade. Why dont you put a sign on your head---"Space for Rent"? Idiot.
Back to Top
JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull
Avatar

Joined: 02/November/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 288
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2007 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by videoguy videoguy wrote:

Originally posted by JBWB JBWB wrote:

Videoguy is starting to remind me of one of those commercials;

 

Bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla bla, Bla ....bla...bla.....bla bla ....bla

 

Video is the broken record and broken records can't be fixed.


Very funny, if we were in 5th Grade. Why dont you put a sign on your head---"Space for Rent"? Idiot.
 
It would not be big enough to block your very large idiot sign, bla bla, bla bla bla bla
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03
Copyright ©2001-2011 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.059 seconds.
A.Lange & Sohne Langematik Tourbillon Replica Watches ,and it must be a dream replica watches. Brand, style, visibility, features are absolutely assiduous, they not only added to their own sort of power in the rolex replica sale, and certainly can bear, "handed down" in the name. Now here is a fantastic choice for you, if you heard of Langematik Tourbillon rolex replica sale , this article will be much helpful to you. The function of a breitling replica sale is no longer confined to more of a symbol used to reflect personal taste. For men, the rolex replica uk is a symbol of their status; the contrary, a woman wearing a replica watches in addition to at the time, the greatest use is decorative, fashion Langematik Tourbillon breitling replica sale , elegance, style, simplicity, there is a pressing vulgarity temperament.