Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Police , Fire, Village Departments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Hosty hosts fundraiser for indicted cop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2007 at 4:53pm
btw, i had a post in this topic that was deleted.
my post was not precious, but my/our 'right' to post is. at least as i understand fpf.

if the deletion was a mistake, please acknowledge.
if the deletion was intentional, please acknowledge.

don't really care 'who', but how or why.
was someone 'organizing' 3 days before christmas :) or copy/pasting, suitable for framing, gift to hosty, and hit wrong button? too much christmas cheer?

Edited by citizen - 23/December/2007 at 4:55pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2007 at 5:03pm
I can't explain the why or who, but a few posts from this area were moved to Sentry's sandbox.

My part in the why was that Sentry violated his agreement to stay out of other topics if given his own area. He posted in this thread and his post was hidden.

Another Admin-level then did some moving...

Your post is back in this thread.

Edited by watcher - 23/December/2007 at 5:04pm
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2007 at 10:16pm
watcher moves in mysterious ways.
out of curiosity, was my post somewhere where mortals could see? or did you retrieve from netherlands?

in any case, thanks.

bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/December/2007 at 1:32am
That would be me, Moving Sentry's post to his section, For some reason, it didn't work well,
I still a little new to this Software, But sorry for moving you into the Pit of Death, :) BCB..

Edited by bcbandit - 24/December/2007 at 1:33am
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/December/2007 at 8:54am
Originally posted by bcbandit bcbandit wrote:

That would be me, Moving Sentry's post to his section, For some reason, it didn't work well,
I still a little new to this Software, But sorry for moving you into the Pit of Death, :) BCB..

aha! a bandit is responsible :)

for some reason, when things go wrong (or right) in forest park, i get nervous.
afraid things are not quite what they seem. Wink

thanks for reassurance. merry christmas.
Marty Tellalian View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Tellalian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/December/2007 at 6:41pm
Hello,

As I understand the indictment, Sergeant Murphy was indicted by the US Attorney on federal civil rights and obstruction of justice charges for an alleged assault and allegedly falsifying a susequent report. Sergeant Murphy could be subjected to significant prison time and significant fines if he is found guilty.

To my knowledge, the civil case was settled out of court and the alleged victim received a settlement, while the village did not admit any wrong doing. I don't think the village is at risk financially based on this indictment but I guess it is possible that other civil law suits could be filed.

I have no idea if the US Attorney will try to portray the FPPD as having systemic problems that supervisors and the entire village overlooked, as Carl suggests. I have no factual reason to draw this conclusion and, like everyone, I hope that this is not the case. I also have no factual reason to think that this is a racial issue, and like everyone, I greatly hope that this is not the case.

I readily admit that I don't know everything associated with this indictment, but until the case is tried, neither does anyone else. Until the case is tried, I'm going to presume that Sergeant Murphy is innocent. However, even the presumption of innocence does not diminish my desire to see our paid officers on active duty. I, too, am very disappointed that this indictment has removed one of our paid officers from our streets, possibly for an extended period. While I sincerely hope that Sergeant Murphy is cleared of these charges, I will not be attending the fund raiser for his defense.

Regards, Marty

Edited by watcher - 29/December/2007 at 12:13am
Marty Tellalian
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/December/2007 at 7:49pm
thanks, marty. appreciated, as always.

i love hearing from this commissioner :) i do!
so fact based, so logical, so de-fused.

and another thing. fpf is a great compliment to the review (or any newspaper.)
the press calls, one may or may not be expecting their call/questions. but never know what part of what you have said will be printed.

here, all our elected officials can get their stuff straight, if they wish.
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/December/2007 at 10:11pm
Thanks for the response, Marty.

Just one point of order, though.  Was the amount of the settlement made public?  If not, perhaps the mods should strike the specific amount from Marty's response.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2007 at 9:27am
KPO'M, from the Review article cited in Carl's first post:  "The village of Forest Park has not been named as a party in the case. In 2004 the village paid a $50,000 settlement to Sidney Hooks, the alleged victim, when Hooks sued the municipality and Murphy."  So, yes, I believe it is public knowledge.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/December/2007 at 10:02am
so, how was the party? any on site reports?

a thought - appears absolutely no one has any expectations of mark hosty as a commissioner. we hope/criticise/prompt the others, but not hosty.
i have no idea what he stands for, what his 'vision' is. do you?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/December/2007 at 10:12am
Vision?  I wasn't aware he had one.
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/December/2007 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

so, how was the party? any on site reports?

a thought - appears absolutely no one has any expectations of mark hosty as a commissioner. we hope/criticise/prompt the others, but not hosty.
i have no idea what he stands for, what his 'vision' is. do you?

Imagine a team of jackasses pulling a wagon. Hosty not being the lead mule only has a view (vision) of one thing. The south end of the jackass in front of him.

Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/December/2007 at 3:54pm
How appropos.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/January/2008 at 12:12pm

so, hosty wants to be a delegate for john mccain. per the review.

oh, goody. another chance to vote our conscience.

btw, this monday, jan 7, is last day to register to vote for the feb 5 primary. can register at library on sunday.
Katie View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/January/2008 at 5:41pm
I think this week's Review does a good job of articulating many of our thoughts (or at least mine!) on this topic.
http://forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=15&ArticleID=2848&TM=67084.14
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/January/2008 at 7:40pm
If Hosty likes McCain so much, maybe he should go into a tiger cage for the next few years, just like his hero.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/January/2008 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Katie Katie wrote:

I think this week's Review does a good job of articulating many of our thoughts (or at least mine!) on this topic.
http://forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=15&ArticleID=2848&TM=67084.14
indeed.
'voters should be left gasping...'

KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/January/2008 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

KPO'M, from the Review article cited in Carl's first post:  "The village of Forest Park has not been named as a party in the case. In 2004 the village paid a $50,000 settlement to Sidney Hooks, the alleged victim, when Hooks sued the municipality and Murphy."  So, yes, I believe it is public knowledge.

Good to know.  I wasn't being critical.  It's just that I'm well aware of the concept of the "undisclosed" settlement. 

KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/January/2008 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by videoguy videoguy wrote:

If Hosty likes McCain so much, maybe he should go into a tiger cage for the next few years, just like his hero.

What surprises me is how this town is dominated by Republicans, given its blue collar roots.  How do right-wingers like Calderone and Hosty make it in such a Democratic county, and why exactly did they support left-winger Todd Stroger over fellow GOPer Tony Peraica?  Is it that they like the status quo and can't support anyone for reform?  If that were the case, I wonder why Calderone supported Topinka rather than "Public Official A."  Certainly Calderone is a lot closer to Blagojevich in leadership style.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/January/2008 at 9:25am
Originally posted by KPO'M KPO'M wrote:

Originally posted by videoguy videoguy wrote:

What surprises me is how this town is dominated by Republicans, given its blue collar roots.  How do right-wingers like Calderone and Hosty make it in such a Democratic county, and why exactly did they support left-winger Todd Stroger over fellow GOPer Tony Peraica?  Is it that they like the status quo and can't support anyone for reform?  If that were the case, I wonder why Calderone supported Topinka rather than "Public Official A."  Certainly Calderone is a lot closer to Blagojevich in leadership style.

perhaps you are overthinking our officials?

right-wing, democrat, leadership style, etc. none seem to apply because the only apparent belief/motivation is 'ubi est mea.'

we're a simple town.

videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/January/2008 at 12:10pm
I agree. It seems to be they support whomever washes their hand.
Katie View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/January/2008 at 5:17pm
Good follow web post posted today by the Review, about who in village government may, or may not have attended this gathering. Also, it's interesting to see how effective Sturino is as ethics advisor for the village. Anyone call for a meeting of the ethics commission?
http://forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=38&ArticleID=2851&TM=65463.04
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/January/2008 at 11:58am
Katie have you read the rules about calling a meeting for the ethics commission?  If they think it's unworthy (very simplified by me), they can charge you over $1K for their trouble.  Quite a deterrent to people filing claims, eh (Chapter 7 in the village code available at forestpark.net).
Katie View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/January/2008 at 4:46pm
Yes, Pie, I have. In fact, I attended many of the meetings preceding the establishment of this commission--which has met, I believe, once. It was clear then, as it is now, that there is certainly no interest in ethics at village hall. My comment was intended to be tongue in cheek.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/January/2008 at 7:01pm
Sturino declined to comment on whether Hosty's involvement in helping raise funds for a village employee presented an ethical dilemma. Further, he would not say whether he discussed the issue with Hosty, other members of the council or village employees.

"I'm just not talking about it," Sturino said.

heeheehee. i know there is a great cartoon that fits.

it's not the 'popeye defense one - 'i y'am what i y'am.'
recollection is vague... one frame, seated judge, accused in front of bench...judge says, 'i don't want to talk about it' is not a defense!
funnier than that, tho :)

Edited by citizen - 05/January/2008 at 7:02pm
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/January/2008 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Katie have you read the rules about calling a meeting for the ethics commission?  If they think it's unworthy (very simplified by me), they can charge you over $1K for their trouble.  Quite a deterrent to people filing claims, eh (Chapter 7 in the village code available at forestpark.net).

I'd be willing to host a fundraiser for that person at a bar in Oak Park (yes, they exist now).  It's much nicer than Hillside. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12