Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > F O O D related discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PaulW Review - Smokin M's BBQ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PaulW Review - Smokin M's BBQ
    Posted: 24/January/2008 at 1:13pm
Went over to Smokin M's BBQ on Roosevelt today for lunch.....I was pleasantly surprised! I walked in and I felt I was somewhere in Alabama with the smell! They have a huge square smoker with glass sides, and wood burning below it. Tons of ribs, sausage, brisket, etc. in that smoker......oh, what to choose???

A very friendly woman was behind the counter, she informed me that she grew up on Dunlop right down from my house! I decided on the pulled pork to go. Comes with fries you know!

While it was being made up, the other gentlemen behind the counter was waving the Sun Times at the woman, and a discussion about Cubs vs. Sox broke out....I did not claim a side as I had not received my sandwich yet!

Asked if I wanted hot or mild sauce, I choose hot. Using a pastry brush, a little sauce was dabbed on the sandwich, the fries came out of the fryer (they were double fried, so it only took a minute to cook them up). All was packaged and I set out for my kitchen table with some Lake Michigan water.

Here's what you get for $5.36:

I have to say, I was impressed with the taste! If you like BBQ that doesn't taste like BBQ (like they serve at most places in Chicago), this place is not for you. But if you like BBQ that is real BBQ, this is the place. Only a hint of sauce and it brings out the real taste of the smoked meat.

The fries were tasty, very much like Parky's but with less grease attached.

I ate the whole thing! I highly recommend Smokin M's if you are looking for a good lunch or dinner instead of going to Portillo's, Parky's or the what not as a great change of pace. You can't eat BBQ every day......but you CAN try!

Edited by PaulW - 24/January/2008 at 1:19pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/January/2008 at 2:10pm
any nutrition info for your lunch?

any guess?
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/January/2008 at 2:30pm
I understand that they do not use trans fat oil for their fries either.  So not as horrible as they could be. 
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/January/2008 at 2:30pm
Nutrition Info: Somewhere between a healthy sandwich and no chips on one side and Parky's and Portillo's on the other side. If you had the sandwhich alone, it would be healthy!
Drago View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/January/2008 at 2:49pm
Delivery coming soon!  I like the sound of that... eatin' delicious BBQ (no nutritional info needed here) without having to move farther than my front door. 

Sloth, gluttony, and several other sins... served with a side of hot sauce.  My kind of meal.

Edited by Drago - 24/January/2008 at 2:49pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/January/2008 at 3:21pm
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/January/2008 at 5:48pm
Have been there twice, my husband really enjoyed the pulled pork sandwich, both sauces, hot/reg were very good, so were the fries, but the ribs were dry. Bought a 1/2 slab, some parts were so dehydrated, like shoe leather, mummified, didn't even attempt to chew them. The part that was edible was very good. Tried the rib tips the next time, they were dry but not as dry as the ribs, marginally OK. Looking forward to an improved cooking technique, we really like BBQ.
 Post Reply Post Reply