Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nutbush future

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nutbush future
    Posted: 13/March/2008 at 12:24pm
Well, he has a ways to go to fix up Harlem.

When can we please see the last of the Nutbush/liquor store????
Gall town smarm
Patrick Doolin View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Proviso Trustee Candidate 2009

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick Doolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2008 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by jujube50 jujube50 wrote:

Well, he has a ways to go to fix up Harlem.

When can we please see the last of the Nutbush/liquor store????

I heard a very disturbing story about this situation. 

The gentleman that owns Elite Tire & Auto Service actually is the new owner of the property where the now shuttered Nutbush & the liquor store are.  He does not own the property/space next door to this where he currently occupies & operates his business out of. 

That property it owned by a family member of Tim Hague.  Tim was formerly a higher up with the Taxman Group.  My understanding is he left Taxman to form his own development group.  His family owns the entire property CVS, Dunkin Donuts & Elite Tire occupy.  The Nutbush property is adjacent to this large parcel.   

Rod, from Elite Tire, purchased the Nutbush property a year or so ago because his lease was coming up for renewal & there was worry that the Hague group was not going to renew his lease as he had been informed of such.  He has a successful automotive business there with a very loyal following so you could imagine how anxious he was.   

His desire was to build a new, state-of-the-art automotive facility on the Nutbush property & move his business there.  That way he would/could better serve his customers & have no future worried about leases & landlords.     

Here's where he ran into problems. 

Hague had been trying to buy the Nutbush property for years.  However, he would never offer them the price they wanted.  I think he figured he would eventually get what he wanted by either waiting or pressure from the village.  Unfortunately for Hague, the property owner approached Rod & asked if he would be interested in purchasing it.  Rod, seeing an opportunity, said yes.  They gave him a price & he accepted it & purchased the property.  Obviously, when Hague found out about this he was pissed.  That was the last parcel he needed to control the entire block.  He blew it though. 

My understanding is that to date, with his lease running out on his current property, Rod has been unable to navigate the villages red-tape, the numerous road blocks that have been thrown up & he has been unable to get permits from the village to proceed with building his new faculty.  In short, he has been given the run around so long that he is now in jeopardy of losing everything. 

I hear he has has been advised by some in power to sell the Nutbush property to the Hague group otherwise there is nothing that can be done.  Problem is that the price being offered isn't enough for him to relocate his business and/or retire as he is a relatively young man.  He is in the proverbial Catch 22.

This is what I have been told by very reliable sources.  I hope the village is not doing this.  However, based on 1st hand knowledge that I have of the cozy relationship with the village that Taxman & Tim Hague have, it seems plausible. 

Again, I hope this is not true but if it is, it's worth looking into.  

Edited by Patrick Doolin - 13/March/2008 at 1:01pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2008 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Patrick Doolin Patrick Doolin wrote:

My understanding is that to date, with his lease running out on his current property, Rod has been unable to navigate the villages red-tape, the numerous road blocks that have been thrown up & he has been unable to get permits from the village to proceed with building his new faculty.  In short, he has been given the run around so long that he is now in jeopardy of losing everything. 

I hear he has has been advised by some in power to sell the Nutbush property to the Hague group otherwise there is nothing that can be done.  Problem is that the price being offered isn't enough for him to relocate his business and/or retire as he is a relatively young man.  He is in the proverbial Catch 22.

This is what I have been told by very reliable sources.  I hope the village is not doing this.  However, based on 1st hand knowledge that I have of the cozy relationship with the village that Taxman & Tim Hague have, it seems plausible. 

Again, I hope this is not true but if it is, it's worth looking into.  

That's a shame.  What possible reason could the village have for not approving a positive change on that unattractive stretch of Harlem Avenue?  Seems the council didn't have a lot of problems approving Consolidated Auto on DesPlaines Avenue.  And if the new facility on Harlem is even half as attractive, how could we go wrong? 

I bet Rod is not a contributor to the mayor's campaign fund so that won't help his cause at all.   But Patrick you know that right now the most important things on the table are providing parking for Madison Street.  Unless you can see where anyone on the village council is presenting or considering other things .... other than a 4 way stop at MadisonCircle LOL
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2008 at 1:43pm
Rod has been unable to navigate the villages red-tape, the numerous road blocks that have been thrown up & he has been unable to get permits from the village to proceed with building his new faculty.

rod needs to get those details on the public table. call the review, post here, let doolin be your PR person - whatever. don't suffer in silence, rod.

Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick Doolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2008 at 1:58pm

Conventional wisdom would suggest that the reason is that, if in fact this is true in it's entirety, that Rod's efforts are being intentionally blocked so that he will be left with no choice other than to sell to the villages preferred developer, Hauge's group.   If I remember correctly, that entire area is a TIF which, over the years, has accumulated a very substantial balance that has gone almost completely unused since it's inception.  Owning that entire block for a future development would be quite the coup. 

As far as the parking issue, 415 Circle & the supposed state grant that is available, I do understand the desire to act.  However, that said, the grant is only $300,000.00, of which only $250,000.00 can be used for acquisition.  I'd venture a guess that it will cost in the neighborhood of $400,000.00+ just to acquire & another $200,000.00 to make it a parking lot.   That leaves a significant gap between what is being granted, if it ever does, & what this endeavor will actually cost to realize a net gain in parking. 

Again, fully understanding the desire to take advantage of the grant, however, it's kinda like getting a $20.00 gift certificate to Spago & feeling the need to use it just because you have it. 

Problem is, that Spago dinner is going to cost you $400.00 & the $20.00 gift certificate just isn't going to cover it.  If you can't afford the other $380.00 for the dinner, you just have to throw the gift certificate away.  I think they should just throw the grant away.     

Edited by Patrick Doolin - 13/March/2008 at 1:59pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2008 at 2:01pm

Has anyone besides me noticed all the available parking on the 400 block of Circle since LaPiazza closed its doors?  Doesn't look like we really need more parking there.

Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick Doolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2008 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

Rod has been unable to navigate the villages red-tape, the numerous road blocks that have been thrown up & he has been unable to get permits from the village to proceed with building his new faculty.

rod needs to get those details on the public table. call the review, post here, let doolin be your PR person - whatever. don't suffer in silence, rod.

Hey, I'm a loser according to Mayor Calderone.  Why would anyone want a loser like me representing them?  LOL (emoticon per KPO'M's advice)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2008 at 2:51pm

so sad, not measuring up in tony's eyes :)

didn't mean to offer you the job, but no denying you would be great at it.
rod needs to get with it. many of us know how expensive it can be when the village has a 'vision' for someone else's personal property.
i thought the mayor supported our businesses?

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2008 at 2:59pm
can one of the admins get this into a new topic? harlem stretch renamed 'hague's way' or, let's go kick the tires :)

don't want to lose watcher's ad hoc questions.
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2008 at 1:01am
Interesting. Might I suggest to our current elected officials that, rather than launch attacks on newspapers (local and national), you address the issues raised here? While I grant that the specifics of any particular case may or may not be able to be discussed publicly, there certainly are some items that can be. For instance, are either a service business (such as an automotive repair facility) or a large multi-family or mixed development contemplated by the Comprehensive Plan? Does the village have any official preference for one type of development vs. another? Has the zoning board (or any other board with jurisdiction) raised questions about the tire center owner's application, and if so, are there any hearings scheduled where both sides might be made public?

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2008 at 8:27am
KPO'M, are you also sending this request to the commissioners via email or voice message?  Otherwise, how do you think they will see or respond?  Or send to the Zoning Board?  I don't think posing the question here will get anything done.

Edited by piehead - 14/March/2008 at 8:28am
Gusto View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gusto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2008 at 10:20am
3-4 years ago, the rumour around town was that Taxman was going to purchase properties in question in order to build condos/ with retail below, much like their property on
Madison, only larger.  Obvoulsy CVS was then Osco and the Nutbush was still open.

It was said that Taxman wanted to wait and see how the Madison development went before embarking on the new venture.  MAybe that time is here.

Over 100 condos if my memory hasn't eluded me.

Don't blame me. I voted for Steinbach.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2008 at 10:30am
Seeing as the development group that was going to develop the corner across from that (in Oak Park) decided not to, not sure the market is right for Taxman.  Do we really need more condos in FP?

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2008 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Gusto Gusto wrote:

3-4 years ago, the rumour around town was that Taxman was going to purchase properties in question in order to build condos/ with retail below, much like their property on
Madison, only larger.  Obvoulsy CVS was then Osco and the Nutbush was still open.

It was said that Taxman wanted to wait and see how the Madison development went before embarking on the new venture.  MAybe that time is here.

Over 100 condos if my memory hasn't eluded me.

ok. 
the timing issue is mute as hague doesn't own all the parcels.
perhaps the mayor is aware of taxman/hague's plans. perhaps it's even his first choice.
but he/us don't own the land either.

if it is so important/valuable, make an offer on the land. but do not, DO NOT, fight a hidden, dishonest and rigged battle between the rightful owner and our zoning/building department.
and DO NOT tell me that hiding this battle is in my best interests as a taxpayer.
as a taxpayer, i don't approve of screwing fellow taxpayers. i'll be happy to pay fair market value, if the owner wants to sell.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2008 at 11:53am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

as a taxpayer, i don't approve of screwing fellow taxpayers. i'll be happy to pay fair market value, if the owner wants to sell.

FMV?

As determined by a drive-by or phantom appraisal?

Where in the village's buy high-sell low development strategy do you see the taxpayers?
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Neighbor View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neighbor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/March/2008 at 10:47pm

I don't know anything good about the NutBush though the liquor store was occasionally handy from time to time.

What I want to bring up is - What is up with all of those burnt up cars and trucks that are perpetually left their for days and weeks on end ????  Does anyone else see these as eyesores in a prominent position of the area?
www.HomeCash.org - Earn Cash Online Simply & Legitimately. Only the best GPT / incentive sites listed, reviewed, and rated. Exclusive site coupon codes! Industry insider advice.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/March/2008 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Neighbor Neighbor wrote:

What I want to bring up is - What is up with all of those burnt up cars and trucks that are perpetually left their for days and weeks on end ????  Does anyone else see these as eyesores in a prominent position of the area?

I would bet they belong to the Elite Tire guy, Rod and not sure why the village allows them to stay there so long.  Perhaps you should call our code inspection people.  Option 2 at 366-2323.  Let us know what you hear.
denny View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/March/2008 at 8:39am
You guys need to get over this "prominent position" "gateway to the village" stuff. Let the guy earn a living.
Denny Crane!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/March/2008 at 9:11am
Originally posted by denny denny wrote:

You guys need to get over this "prominent position" "gateway to the village" stuff. Let the guy earn a living.

Might be too much to hope for. It's programmed into people's thinking.
Near Pavlovian at this point. Rod doesn't matter. His customers don't matter. Let some other place have auto repair facilites, truck rental companies and other unsightly blemishes on an otherwise pristine streetscape. Unless of course they are willing to devote their limited resources to a facade to hide their ugliness behind...

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/March/2008 at 9:16am
Although truth be told, the village never seems to mess with H&R Auto or the European Auto place on Hannah and Harrison.  They keep junk cars there for what seems forever, too.
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/March/2008 at 1:59pm
'You guys need to get over this "prominent position" "gateway to the village" stuff. Let the guy earn a living."
Oh cmon, there are ways to make it look better. I see it every day I take the bus.
Yuck!
Thanks for the insight, Patrick...
Gall town smarm
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2008 at 5:19am
Actually, I know Rod, :) The cars are NOT the same old cars Every day.   he gets anywhere from 1 to 5 cars a week for Insurance Claims to see "What Cause the Fire" Then the car goes Bye Bye after it has been Fully Ripped apart and Fully Checked..

Just Making some Tax dollar's for Our Little Village.  BCB...
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2008 at 8:31am
Originally posted by bcbandit bcbandit wrote:

Actually, I know Rod, :) The cars are NOT the same old cars Every day.   he gets anywhere from 1 to 5 cars a week for Insurance Claims to see "What Cause the Fire" Then the car goes Bye Bye after it has been Fully Ripped apart and Fully Checked..

Just Making some Tax dollar's for Our Little Village.  BCB...

I don't know about it going bye bye every day.  I know someone who lives nearby and she said it appears to be the same cars there for quite a period of time.
vorots View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vorots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2008 at 9:14am
Well as bcbandit said he has to wait for Insurance Claims. How quickly do you think the average insurance company moves to pay out a claim? Don't blame him for somebody else's speed. As a business owner, it is only in his best interest to strip and cars as quick as possible and get rid of them to make room for the next one.
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2008 at 4:54pm
Quoting BCB: [Rod is] Just Making some Tax dollar's for Our Little Village. BCB..

There is no sales tax on labor or services in Illinois, only parts.

Rod is adding nothing to our coffers for consulting on the burnt up cars.

Three years ago the issue of these eyesores was addressed. If I recall, Rod agreed to place car covers over the burn-outs. I am guessing by all the fuss, that he has stopped doing it.

If some of you folks know him so well, ask him to start covering them again. You can buy car covers pretty cheap on line now and few bucks might go a long way towards being a good neighbor.

Besides, if he is going to get into a "David and Goliath" fight over his real estate, he might garner more public sympathy by demonstrating he is a good neighbor.
backman
Neighbor View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neighbor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2008 at 5:10am
Whatever the reason for the cars being there the area common good would be better served if they found a junk yard to tow them to instead of just off of the area's most traveled avenue.

This guy has literally turned it into a junk yard already.  Car covers or not, this is not acceptable use of the high visibility property.  Anyone else agree?

If I had one of those burnt out beaters parked in my driveway (which I wouldn't do) it wouldn't be long before one of our friendly law enforcement representatives would be by to issue me an ultimatum along with a ticket for expired registration and no license plate (whatever the case may be.)

The guy could just as easily do whatever he has to do with the burnt out wrecks behind a fence in a junkyard - where they belong. He's obviously not just replacing tires and sending them on their merry way Wink  The same cars stay there for weeks on end (and I have to pass them several times a day driving (and walking to/from CVS.)

Edited by Neighbor - 26/March/2008 at 5:19am
www.HomeCash.org - Earn Cash Online Simply & Legitimately. Only the best GPT / incentive sites listed, reviewed, and rated. Exclusive site coupon codes! Industry insider advice.
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2008 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Neighbor Neighbor wrote:

The guy could just as easily do whatever he has to do with the burnt out wrecks behind a fence in a junkyard - where they belong.

The same cars stay there for weeks on end (and I have to pass them several times a day driving (and walking to/from CVS.)

Did you happen to drive pass saw today or tuesday or even Monday? the cars have been moved. 
I was there on Monday And Not 1 Car was outside by Rod..  Not even Behind rods...

As for being able to "Whatever behind a fence Junkyard" Is Wrong, To Rip apart a Car you Do need a Roof over your head since it takes Anywhere from 3 Hours to 10 hours to Find the "Cause" of the Fire.

I would have like to have seen the cars Behind the Building More then the Side of it..
But when you have to Hand push the cars into the bay to go threw them, The Closer to the door  makes it a little more Easy..

I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2008 at 9:47am
Something is going on at the Nut Bush site.  There's a fence up in the parking lot behind it and scaffolding on the Harlem Avenue side.  Saw people working there yesterday and today.
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2008 at 1:41pm
Yeah, I saw it. Hmm....
Gall town smarm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2008 at 1:43pm
And amazingly enough, all the burned out cars must have been "cleared" for demolition.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>