Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Quality of Life Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Energy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Energy
    Posted: 04/July/2008 at 9:03pm
thought i would start this topic.
the news this summer is disconcerting (gas prices, weak housing mkt, devalued dollar, oil wars, failing lenders, falling stock market, etc.)

no one knows where this will go, but a few 'batten the hatches' type warnings, along w/some good ideas are starting to leak out. i would imagine our village is thinking about this, too.

if you come across something useful (not chicken little), please post.

the time to prepare is now.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2008 at 10:16am
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2008 at 10:28am
2 of our neighbors have rain barrels,there is nothing better then watering with free water.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2008 at 10:58am
1 of my neighbors does the rain barrels too.  He also cuts his grass with a man-powered lawnmower (old fashion push mower). 
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2008 at 12:36pm
The only thing that worries me with a rain barrel is the sitting water..what about mosquitos?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2008 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

The only thing that worries me with a rain barrel is the sitting water..what about mosquitos?

Yeah, you're right. Don't get one.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2008 at 3:01pm
stop being an ass and maybe be helpful,I dont know much about them. Jerk.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2008 at 4:08pm
Read some of them come with a filter or screen on top to keep debris/mosquitoes out. Would need to be some tight-weaved screening, smaller than the eggs? Don't think it would work if the barrel were full of water but what do I know. Wood would be great, don't like the plastic ones, some come with a flat side to fit against the house. Float some oil-based DDT on top, DC. I'm kidding:)
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2008 at 4:56pm

stop being an ass and maybe be helpful,I dont know much about them. Jerk.

The information was PROMINENTLY included in the link that was provided.
Instead of just hitting reply, try actually reading the information.

"The top has a screen to keep out mosquitoes and their eggs. A spigot is attached to the front of the barrel to release the water, and can been hooked up to a hose."

Too confusing?

Edited by watcher - 06/July/2008 at 4:58pm
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/July/2008 at 6:15pm
No not confusing..my computer is very old and sometimes the links dont open..too confusing?
rdscaf View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdscaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2008 at 6:53am
Put fish in the rain barrel to eat the bugs!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2008 at 8:15am

No not confusing..my computer is very old and sometimes the links dont open.

DC, if the links do not work, open another tab (if using IE 7) and copy and paste the link in the new tab.  That way you can read all links.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2008 at 9:29am
Thanks Pie...now will you teach me how to copy and paste? Seriously, I do  not know how to do it.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2008 at 9:35am
Left click the mouse (don't let go) and drag it along the line you want to copy.  When you have it highlighted in blue, then you can let go of the left mouse button.  Now do Ctrl (control) and the letter C together.  That should do the copy part.  Go to the new tab or window and in the address bar click once in the white space (it should turn the whole address blue [if there is anything in it]) and then do Ctrl V (Control and the letter V).  That should paste the address in the address bar.  Now hit enter and you should be at the link.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2008 at 9:38am
Your the best.Thumbs%20Up
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2008 at 10:42am
Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2008 at 2:10pm
admin, not sure who you're angry with.

i googled williams - this video came up on snopes, but didn't see any reply.
what do you know about him? do you think his info is legit?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/November/2008 at 10:12pm
My son reported that on his drive from Champaign to East Lansing, they pumped gas at $1.99 a gallon! In Illinois!

Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2008 at 8:52am
Heard over the in Mich 1.97 yippeeeee..when was the last time we saw gas under 2 bucks a gallon?
FOCUS !!
 Post Reply Post Reply