Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Police , Fire, Village Departments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Murphy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 11:09am
OMG, you are all so much smarter than this. It isn't black/white, it's pie, pie whose got the pie (not you,pie). A means to an end, Hooks/Murphy weren't ever meant to be the main course.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 11:35am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

OMG, you are all so much smarter than this. It isn't black/white, it's pie, pie whose got the pie (not you,pie). A means to an end, Hooks/Murphy weren't ever meant to be the main course.

Harder was?
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 12:39pm
The house, bringing down the house. The same people who own the house, own the pie, pie. Boy, I'd never survive in politics, don't like any of it, no matter what side you may be on:) 

Edited by logic - 16/July/2008 at 12:39pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 12:43pm
I would not survive it either.  I hate politics and the way it makes politicians act.  But I guess that's the game they like to play. 
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 1:46pm
At the peoples expense!

At last Mondays council meeting, $65,000.00 was paid out to the lawyers for the Police and Fire Commission and it is now obvious they did not get it (Harder) right.

Oh well it is only Monopoly money, right?

Edited by backman - 16/July/2008 at 1:46pm
backman
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 2:25pm
Please give Mr Backman a seat on the ZBA and put him out of his misery, I'm serious. (sorry, off-topic)

Edited by logic - 16/July/2008 at 2:26pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 2:31pm
How does putting Backman in a seat on the ZBA put him out of his misery?  Putting different people in the police & fire commission seats would maybe have saved us some cash and now an additional $65K.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 2:48pm
Warning off-topic- Blame it on the watcher vibes.  Seeing his name again after so long sparked a memory, he had offered his services in the past and he's well-qualified for a seat on the ZBA. Not all good choices are "safe" but I would personally like to bear witness to a more respectful, open, inclusive FP, for real and believe Mr Backman would be part of that.  A re-vamp of the F&P is greatly desired but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Poetic license with the "misery" stuff:) Sorry, way, way off-topic.

Edited by logic - 16/July/2008 at 2:59pm
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 4:47pm
$65,000. Roughly what you need to put a rookie cop on the street for a year. Think about that the next time our overburdened police force doesn't respond as quickly as you'd like. But then, witch hunts and personal (or should that be personnel?) vendettas are expensive, aren't they.

Lucky for those responsible for this on going God awful mess they don't have to pay the bills alone, huh? They'd go broke pretty quickly.

When you spread the costs of their mistakes over all the village's tax payers, the village goes broke eventually as well, but much more slowly. Of course, we can all take solace in the fact that the eventual pay out to Dan Harder and the lawsuit settlement will make $65,000 look like pocket change. And that doesn't include the four civil suits the village is fighting.

Well, at least we have Groovin' In the Grove. Thank you, munificent Forest Park government officials.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 8:08pm
or, would pay 1 year of rent-al-cop.

btw, that idea really needs further research. too expensive for guessing games.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/July/2008 at 9:30am
front page of today's trib explores problems/leadership of CPD. policing is not my area of expertise - whether in chicago or forest park. but.

was struck by our mayor's comment to the Review on the murphy story. said he had no comment because it would have no effect on the paper's 'spin.'

two thoughts:
1) there is no avoiding the mayor's responsibility for the FPPD - he's in charge. end of argument.
also, to any reasonable observer, our PD has significant internal problems, and has had for 5-7 years.
2) avoiding a public dialogue (both w/the review and the citizens) is not going to improve anything.
if the mayor feels he's getting a raw deal from the paper, and/or that we don't understand the situation, he can most certainly write his own piece and get it published in the Review (One View.)
somewhat like his p. 3 letter in the Post - but more substantive. then all parties could respond to his views and ask further questions.

the present stand-off is just not an option, in my view.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/July/2008 at 9:40am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

Have you dropped him a note or called him to tell him this?  If people feel strongly one way or another, you need to let people know.
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/July/2008 at 9:40am
That's Lil MAC's standard response when confronted with embarrassing facts, Citizen, to bleat out that the media is treating him unfairly. In fact, it's his only response.

For him to do what you suggest, i.e., respond substantively in writing, then have people respond to his points and ask further questions would only bring up more specific facts he'd just as soon see go away.

You're right, "there is no avoiding the mayor's responsibility for the FPPD." But he CAN avoid, and will, at all costs, any detailed discussion of how the specifics regarding how he screwed things up so badly.

Lil MAC is the epitome of the old saying, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with b.s."

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/July/2008 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Mr. D Mr. D wrote:

Lil MAC is the epitome of the old saying, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with b.s."

and groovin in the grove My taint is itchy,
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/July/2008 at 10:06am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

he (backman) had offered his services in the past and he's well-qualified for a seat on the ZBA.

yes, he'd be very good.

laugh of the day:  i was approached a few months ago, 'would i like to serve on the zba?'
not by the mayor, tho. i said i'd rather shoot my brains out.'
otoh, if i was asked to serve on a committee to explore options to our 70% solution and a zoning re-write - sign me up.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/July/2008 at 10:07am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Have you dropped him a note or called him to tell him this?  If people feel strongly one way or another, you need to let people know.

just did, silly.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/July/2008 at 10:19am

just did, silly.

Good for you.  Wonder if you'll get a "you supported losers" letter like I did when I asked for his assistance. Confused
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/July/2008 at 10:45am

also, to any reasonable observer, our PD has significant internal problems, and has had for 5-7 years.
PUBLICIZED internal problems within the last so many yrs, significant problems may have existed long before that, of which we, as the general public, were never aware.

Edited by logic - 17/July/2008 at 10:46am
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2008 at 6:24pm

That's Lil MAC's standard response when confronted with embarrassing facts, Citizen, to bleat out that the media is treating him unfairly. In fact, it's his only response.

It's called misdirection.  It also explains Ryan's comments about Harder.  How did he have anything to do with whether Murphy abused his power?

Anyway, the reason it works in Forest Park is that enough of the electorate is either incapable of comprehending that the mayor is engaged in misdirection, apathetic about it, or some combination of the two.  Apathy and stupidity of the electorate are a politician's best friends.  Calderone and company throw huge parties to those traits every year (literally and figuratively).
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2008 at 7:33pm
Smoke and mirrors KPO'M.....all smoke and mirrors and the lemmings will vote for him again............

And I brought up the same question....how does Harder get blamed for Murphy beating up a guy? 

To Sentry:  I don't believe Ryan believes he did anything wrong.  He can't or Calderone will release him and find another retired cop to fill his shoes. 
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 10:50am

At the risk if riling those among us who see the Mike Murphy case as over and done with (so let's move on, etc.) I think a couple of statements made by US Atty Gen for Northern Illinois Patrick Fitzgerald at the Dept. of Justice press conference Tuesday, Oct. 21 may send chills through a few folks here in FoPa.

"Today we've made the allegation that Jon Burge was aware of... and lied about it," Fitzgerald said in announcing federal perjury and obstruction of justice charges against the walking sack of crap that is Jon Burge.

Fitzgerald could have said "baking cookies." It doesn't matter. The operative phrase is "and lied about it."

"We've always been on the hunt to make sure that if people lie (under oath) we take action," said Fitzgerald. The fact that there's a 5-year statute of limitations allows some people in FoPa to keep pretending it's all over. But take note that the feds pulled the trigger on the Burge indictment just hours prior to the statute of limitations running out.

In the background the past year, Fitzgerald's people have been busy with Burge, just as they're undoubtedly busy continuing to investigate matters here in FoPa.

"People worked hard the past year and developed evidence that we feel comfortable going forward and proving that those statements made in 2003 were knowingly false," said Fitzgerald.

"Anyone who'd think of lying under oath ... should understand they lie at their own risk," said Fitzgerald.

Those paying close attention may have noticed a familiar name came up at Fitzgerald's press conference. Among many, he thanked "Betsy Biffel (sp?) of the Criminal Division of the Civil Rights section for her work."

That would be the same Betsy Biffel involved in the investigation of former FoPa police Sergeant Mike Murphy.

In a corrupt and arrogant system that allows some people to do what ever they please simply because "I'm (whatever) and I say it's so," it becomes easy to forget that the rest of society doesn't operate that way.

As he has repeatedly done throughout his tenure as US Atty., Fitzgerald emphasized that in his world, rules matter. And he's willing to enforce those rules.

"When you're asked in a lawsuit to declare whether something is true or false and... you submit an answer under oath that's false... you're responsible for the perjury," said Fitzgerald. "Anyone who'd think of lying under oath should understand they lie at their own risk."

For all those who say the absence of any further federal action is proof they're done here, I simply say, keep marking those days off your five year calendar, folks. And remember, it's not over 'til it's over.

Take my word for it. Or ask Jon Burge.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 11:21am
Anyone besides me wonder how he could afford the lovely Florida home on a $30K annual pension?  And geez, for 60 years of age he sure looks bad. 
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 11:38am

Anyone besides me wonder how he could afford the lovely Florida home on a $30K annual pension?  And geez, for 60 years of age he sure looks bad. 

Actually about $43,000 a year-- $3,568 per month-- but the question still applies.

And the answer to why Burge looks so bad is he's a self-indulgent jag whose idea of retirement is to totally let himself go.

Then again he most likely needs to drink heavily on a regular basis to knock back all the horrible memories he created years ago. The screams. The blood. The smell of burning testicular flesh. The innocent among the guilty men he sent to prison.
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2008 at 11:32pm

"We've always been on the hunt to make sure that if people lie (under oath) we take action," said Fitzgerald. The fact that there's a 5-year statute of limitations allows some people in FoPa to keep pretending it's all over. But take note that the feds pulled the trigger on the Burge indictment just hours prior to the statute of limitations running out.

Interesting modus operandi.  I wonder if he'll indict a certain other prominent politician who should be in Springfield (but normally isn't) at about 11:55 on January 20 and then tender his resignation to the new president at 12:01?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12