Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Police , Fire, Village Departments
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Murphy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Murphy

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Murphy
    Posted: 09/July/2008 at 12:51am
Well, it's about time, hoping for the best.

http://www.forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=38&ArticleID=3322

To clarify, it's about time a fair, honest article was written about Sgt Murphy and the issues surrounding him, his family and the PD.




Edited by logic - 09/July/2008 at 9:02am
Back to Top
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2008 at 10:46am
Apparently this is "fair and honest," illogic.

From the letter Jim Ryan sent to Judge David Coar supporting additional leniency for Murphy.

Regarding Hooks arrest, injuries: "An internal investigation was conducted and it was believed that Sgt. Murphy used more force than was necessary to effect this arrest."

Were Ryan being honest, he'd have noted Murphy didn't need to use ANY force to effect an arrest, since two other Forest Park officers had already told him the issue was settled to their satisfaction, comments Murphy chose to ignore as he escalated the situation.

"Over the past four and a half years I have found Sgt. Murphy to be a model police officer...."

Except, I assume, tenth months into that 4 1/2 year period when Murphy lost it during role call, and was placed first on administrative leave, then medical leave, to treat his "stress." Apparently Jim Ryan's definition of "model police officer" includes blowing up at and threatening fellow police officers and requiring paid leave for months to get yourself under control.

This is the same out of control officer Ryan saw fit to place in charge of orientation and mentoring for new officers.

Not mentioned anywhere in the supportive letters by numerous people or in a 13 page filing by Murphy's high priced mouthpiece, Rick Halprin, is the fact that the village previously settled another FOUR civil rights lawsuits involving Murphy. Of course, then, they'd have to come up with some sort of explanation why Murphy went off on those arrestees. Since all four of those alleged abuse cases, settled out of court with our tax dollars, happened PRIOR to the sexual harassment lawsuit Halprin insists is the reason for Murphy's "stress," that supposedly led him to beat on a suspect after he'd been told by colleagues it had been resolved.

Here's how it works in the Forest Park police department under the logic and ethics of Jim Ryan-

A veteran supervisor with four civil rights settlements attributed to his actions is given a written reprimand and told he faces progressive discipline if he has additional behavioral problems. Then when he has MORE behavioral problems... he's put on paid leave with no discipline.

As opposed to another highly decorated and accomplished veteran supervisor, one with absolutely NO history of legal or disciplinary problems prior to Ryan arriving on the force. That supervisor is also under "severe stress" --stress he doesn't relieve by beating suspects or threatening fellow officers--requiring lots of time off, due to his involvement in the same sexual harassment case as Murphy, but in this case, Ryan chooses to go after the supervisor, eventually getting him FIRED for, among other things, allegedly lying to him. A federal judge has since said Ryan and the mopes on the Fire and Police Commission went to far, and ordered them to effectively reinstated Sgt. Dan Harder.

Meanwhile, the astoundingly administratively inept Ryan and the bozos on the Fire and Police Commission, with the support of Lil' MAC, allows the Lt. who was found legally responsible for sexual battery in the case that reportedly led to the stress on both supervisors to not only remain on the force, but return to a supervisory role over one of the plaintiffs in the case.

Judge Coar is scheduled to conduct an Aggravation and Mitigation hearing as I write this. Hopefully he will see through the utter b.s. in Ryan's letter and allow numerous other documented facts to guide his decision. Judge Coar is well aware that, as part of Murphy VOLUNTARY plea agreement, a charge of obstruction of justice was dropped. That inconvenient fact can be readmitted in Aggravation and mitigation.

Murphy's already had leniency. His sentence went from 10 years (he faced 30 years) to just one year, and was dropped from a felony to a misdemeanor, a huge break. Anyone who reads from the records of other cases Murphy was involved in will see he's been an abusive cop for 15 years, not a "one time offender." An abusive cop who stopped only after repeated warnings, with his career placed on the line.
Back to Top
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2008 at 11:02am
Kudos, Judge Coar.

http://forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=38&ArticleID=3327
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2008 at 11:16am
This is my opinion, you have so often stated yours, why don't you just cut/paste. It is a fair, honest article, we are allowed to see the other side of the coin. The Murphy suit was settled, counseling required, deemed successful, Hooks paid. Sgt Harder and Co did not need to go after Murphy to make their case. Harder's suit was/is strong, could have stood alone. Would you sleep so much better tonight had they thrown the book at Murphy?
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2008 at 11:23am
Sweet dreams, Mr D, now FP is a much safer place, right?
Back to Top
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2008 at 11:31am
I'll sleep better tonight knowing that other cops of Murphy's ilk will think of him cooling his volatile butt in federal prison for a year for breaking the law. Maybe then adjust their own cowboy behavior just a bit, and citizens can avoid the legal bills and settlement costs and insurance hikes.

I'll sleep even better when an unqualified clown like Jim Ryan no longer is the acquiescent front man for Calderone. I'll sleep like a baby when Harder's civil trial, the judge's ruling on his unwarranted firing and the other four civil suits the village says it will fight--but of course which they'll eventually settle-- all blows up in Calderone's dim witted face.

Hopefully around the time Lil' MAC is running for reelection, so his incompetence will be fresh in the voter's minds.
Back to Top
JM303 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident
Avatar

Joined: 28/October/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 137
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2008 at 7:44pm
From:
 
"A misdemeanor in federal court is anything but severe," Halprin said following the hearing. "You don't see them that often. It's hardly a severe sentence."
 
There's a reason for this.  Murphy still keeps his pension (no Felony here).
Back to Top
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 7377
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2008 at 8:17pm
Dora , Mike and Family be strong you will get thru this and there are plenty of people who support you all.
Back to Top
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9659
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2008 at 8:21pm
an ending, probably fair.
to me, this is a tragedy. sounds like murphy has many wonderful qualities, both human and professional.
 
something went wrong, tho. and kept going wrong. or maybe he was never cut out to be a cop, i don't know.
but i do hold his superiors responsible. also.
 
my sincere wishes to the family for clarity and healing.
 
 
Back to Top
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2008 at 8:24pm
Mr. Halprin has it exactly right, JM303. Misdemeanors in federal court are rare. So the question is, as I suggested previously, why the slack from the feds? They don't do sympathy for no reason.

They reduced Murphy's guideline sentence by 90 per cent and down graded the plea charge to allow him to keep his pension.

What did they get that they wanted, besides saving the cost of a trial? I could be wrong, but I'm not the one losing sleep over the possible answers to my question.
Back to Top
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2008 at 8:27pm
BTW, I genuinely feel very bad for the Murphy kids and wish them the best.

It's a terrible thing when children suffer due to the arrogance and stupidity of their parents.
Back to Top
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 7377
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2008 at 8:54pm
Why the slack from the Feds? Because they know he is a good cop that is why.
Back to Top
rukidnme View Drop Down
Resident
Resident
Avatar

Joined: 10/July/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 79
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rukidnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 9:18am

Dog - you couldn't be more wrong.  The feds don't give a $hit about FP cops.  He's not a good cop - he's a menace who can blow at any time (and has).  The feds got something for their deal.  Don't you watch tv?

Didn't know you were such great pals with them.  Been to parties at their home, or just again trying to act like you are more than you are to people in this town?

How do you justify supporting someone who ADMITS he beat the crap out of a guy just because?  How do you support a guy who did what he did to his first wife?  You never cease to amaze me.

He's a bum.  He's a criminal and frankly, 1 year isn't long enough for that piece of crapola to be out of my town.

I do feel for the kids, but they'll probably grow up and get arrested for stealing sunglasses or something at a local store.  Like minded people support each other, so I guess there's my answer.....



Edited by rukidnme - 10/July/2008 at 9:20am
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 9:42am
I can see Murphy as a victim. He got burned, partly, for doing as he was trained and partly for making a mistake in judgement each time he crossed the line; each time he accepted praise for doing things the FoPa way. That praise and each promotion he "earned" by pleasing his bosses both reinforced and rewarded an inconsistent and warped sense of duty.

I don't think anybody should be "happy" that he's going to jail.
Keep it going!


"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 3656
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 10:52am
Murph was probably a victim of the system. A system which serves as an "enabler" by giving pats on the back for the overly enthusiastic handling of our local miscreants, and minimizing or ignoring stress-related anger management issues.

And just what did the Fed's "get" for the greatly reduced charges and time in a Minimum Security facility? Are we to assume that more indictments may be forthcoming???
At%20a%20loss

Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
Back to Top
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 10:59am
He's serving his time in a MEDIUM security facility, Admin.
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Mr. D Mr. D wrote:

He's serving his time in a MEDIUM security facility, Admin.


Makes sense. A minimum security setting would put Murphy at even greater risk. Ex-Cops and "easy time" are semi-mutually exclusive.

I understand the concept behind the sentencing. Not as sure about the practical application or the public benefit of putting Murphy behind bars.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 02/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2863
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 12:31pm
Sounds like this guy Murphy had emotional problems which should have been worked on years ago. Ignoring his propensities and hoping they would go away has caused this town to lose another cop, be embarrassed once again, and cost a lot of money. He should have gotten counseling and maybe a desk job, thats not my call, but its obvious the people in charge ignored his issues.

As for dealing with miscreants, I think our PD needs to learn from the CPD. No witnesses!
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Mr. D Mr. D wrote:

What did they get that they wanted, besides saving the cost of a trial? I could be wrong..........
I believe you are wrong, Mr D but we will see.
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Not as sure about the practical application or the public benefit of putting Murphy behind bars.
Me neither, no surprise, losing your job along and all the neg publicity surrounding it would be deterrent enough for the "cowboy" cops.
Back to Top
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 3656
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 1:09pm
Since when have the Fed's ever cared about saving money??? Heck, they spent 30 million to investigate Bill Clinton's semen stains and cigar shows. I'm inclined to believe they went easy on Murphy because they felt like being nice guys that day.

Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
Back to Top
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 7377
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 1:25pm
I think it may have also helped that he is also a very decent guy.
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

I think it may have also helped that he is also a very decent guy.


The evidence says otherwise. A recurring theme with those you seem to like, admire, support. Says something about something.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 7377
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2008 at 2:56pm
I knew him from all the dealings with our neighbors and from him coaching our son at basketball he was always professional and never at anytime did any of us on this block see anything but professionalism.
Back to Top
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 8:21am
Here you go, folks. The world according to Jim Ryan, and one of the stooges we elected to run FP.

"Chief not convinced of sergeant's guilt
Commissioner: Mayor alone has police oversight"

Review Link

This is how it works in Forest Park: A Police Lt. is found guilty by a judge of sexual battery of a female subordinate, but hacks on the fire and police commission ignore the judiciary and allow a convicted criminal to stay on the force.

Then an abusive cop ADMITS in federal court he did what the feds say he did, gets sentenced to a year in prison, and the person who failed to discipline the abusive cop adequately in the first place now says he's not convinced of the cop's self-admitted guilt.

Meanwhile, one of our profile in cowardice commissioners opines that oversight of the police department is solely Lil (Mr. Extenuating Circumstances) MAC's sole responsibility.

Did I get that all right, or did I overlook something? Help me out, please. I'm a bit handicapped by once living in Oak Park, where, at their worst, they at least TRY to appear to be logical.

Edited by watcher - 16/July/2008 at 8:33am
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

-James Madison
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 9:31am
Legal rhetoric aside, Mr D, this doesn't seem like doing nothing, to me.

"Ryan required the former officer to go into counseling and placed a written reprimand in Murphy's personnel folder, according to court records. Murphy was warned that further incidents could result in progressive discipline. However, in about five years following the Hooks arrest, not a single complaint against Murphy was filed with the department."
Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Mr. D Mr. D wrote:

Did I get that all right, or did I overlook something? Help me out, please. I'm a bit handicapped by once living in Oak Park, where, at their worst, they at least TRY to appear to be logical.


I attended an Oak Park Solid Waste committee meeting at which a proprosal to ban PLASTIC in Oak Park was floated and "logically" discussed. ALL plastic was evil. Needed to be cleansed from Oak Park. Support was initially strong.

I suggested a pilot program using the idea's proponents' homes. Once the plastic insulation on the wiring were removed, it would become a self-correcting problem. Just alert the OPFD.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority


Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 9:51am
My%20taint%20is%20itchy, Hmmm......starting to get a feel for this new watcher. I'm detecting an ever so slight shift. (sorry, off-topic)


Edited by logic - 16/July/2008 at 9:56am
Back to Top
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 11750
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 10:19am
What a load of hooey.  How the heck did everything Murphy did get put on Harder?  Was he even at the scene?  I don't think I ever read that.
 
"Ryan said any disagreement within the department on that issue was the result of meddling. Specifically, he blamed former sergeant Dan Harder, who was fired in March 2007 following an intensely political termination hearing.

"I think Sgt. Harder's mission was to create discord," Ryan said."

Back to Top
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Active here since 2001

Joined: 05/November/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2008 at 10:26am
Harder wasn't there to create discord, he was there to preserve discord.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03
Copyright ©2001-2011 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.
A.Lange & Sohne Langematik Tourbillon Replica Watches ,and it must be a dream replica watches. Brand, style, visibility, features are absolutely assiduous, they not only added to their own sort of power in the rolex replica sale, and certainly can bear, "handed down" in the name. Now here is a fantastic choice for you, if you heard of Langematik Tourbillon rolex replica sale , this article will be much helpful to you. The function of a breitling replica sale is no longer confined to more of a symbol used to reflect personal taste. For men, the rolex replica uk is a symbol of their status; the contrary, a woman wearing a replica watches in addition to at the time, the greatest use is decorative, fashion Langematik Tourbillon breitling replica sale , elegance, style, simplicity, there is a pressing vulgarity temperament.