Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Local Schools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meeks proposition / Sharpton's plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meeks proposition / Sharpton's plan
    Posted: 11/August/2008 at 8:39am
So what do you think of Meeks proposition to bus Chicago school students to New Trier on opening day?  To me, it seems like a very bad idea.

And then Sharpton's rocket science thought to keep kids out of the school on opening day.  Don't the schools get funding based on the attendance numbers at school in the opening days/week?  That certainly won't help the cause to keep kids out of school, instead of at least attempting to educate them.
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2008 at 8:57am
If he wants to register city kids in a suburban high school, how about Proviso? Or is that too poorly run?
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2008 at 11:08am
QUOTE Mr. D: "If he wants to register city kids in a suburban high school, how about Proviso? Or is that too poorly run?"

Most people know crap when they see it.

Edited by backman - 11/August/2008 at 11:10am
backman
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2008 at 11:45am
What's real scary is that Riverside-Brookfield spends about as much per student as Proviso does.  Why such a disparity in results?  It's definitely not the funding.

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/go/IL

you can compare all kinds of stats per school
isis View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2008 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

What's real scary is that Riverside-Brookfield spends about as much per student as Proviso does.  Why such a disparity in results?  It's definitely not the funding.

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/go/IL

you can compare all kinds of stats per school

Lyons Township has similar spending to RB and 209.  They knock both schools out of the water.

Sharpton wouldn't register kids at Proviso because of its reputation.  The dollar amount spent there doesn't show for anything like New Trier does.

He wants upper class and lily-white.  Those are the characteristics.  Out in the western burbs he might consider Hinsdale or Westmont.
All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2008 at 8:32pm
So he keeps the Kids out of School 1 day, the First day if I not mistaken is usally about 1 to 2 hours long? I always Blew off the First day any ways, Who want to go to school for Nothing but paper work and a seat at a desk? BCB... 
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2008 at 8:36pm
Also Forgot to mention, Wait till the Last moment to Enroll kids inthe Burbs and see if you Even have a seat, We have been getting a  date from July and August to Enroll for starting school in September

I also Guess the 5 Id's/Bills to show you live their Don't Count? BCB..
isis View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2008 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by bcbandit bcbandit wrote:

Also Forgot to mention, Wait till the Last moment to Enroll kids inthe Burbs and see if you Even have a seat, We have been getting a  date from July and August to Enroll for starting school in September

I also Guess the 5 Id's/Bills to show you live their Don't Count? BCB..

What Meeks and Sharpton aren't thinking about is the fact that New Trier will have been in school for eight days before the buses roll in.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2008 at 9:44pm
Wonder what the prices of homes in Winnetka will drop to?
FOCUS !!
BBones View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2008 at 11:45pm
It's not the High Schools it's the Feeder Schools that dictate how well they do.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 8:26am
Originally posted by BBones BBones wrote:

It's not the High Schools it's the Feeder Schools that dictate how well they do.

Full circle eh bones? So Proviso East's failure falls squarely onto District 91?

I assume you spent some time in school? Did your teachers grade on a curve?
Do you know what a curve is?

An achievement curve is, more often than not bell, shaped. The largest numbers in the sample group fall into the middle, or AVERAGE, area of the curve, with some falling below and some above.

Proviso, and arguably most other failed schools, LOSE the majority of students who populate the middle and above sections in their respective feeder schools. Still with me? Proviso, and most other failed schools, are left with what's left. With which and to which they then apply the same curvings. Now the lower middle students are their HIGH achievers.

The student population of District 209 represents the bottom, some of the middle, (those without options) and precious few of the top half of each feeder district's graduates. IOW, NOT a natural distribution. Is it fair to judge Proviso achievement by standards designed for NATURAL distributions?

It seems it would be a far easier process to quantify the losses and adjust the scores to reflect the ACTUAL students attending the schools. That IS what happens when Proviso's score are compared to elsewhere, except that no adjustment is made for the missing half of its students.

New Trier's student population encompasses the full achievement spectrum of ITS feeder schools.

Rev. Meeks and those who support his boycott miss the boat, bus or other conveyance when they correlate spending alone to the disjointed achievement measures.

They're making up their own word problems with zero basis in the principles of mathematics, statistics or sciences (both physical and social), in order to grab headlines and bilk their base of resources better utilized on more productive avenues of reform.

The problem in 209 is:
SOLVE FOR X
Where X = the missing students.

209 does not allow an X

Which makes the problem IMPOSSIBLE to solve.

Edited by watcher - 12/August/2008 at 8:29am
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 1:17pm
Very good explanation.
backman
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

The problem in 209 is:
SOLVE FOR X
Where X = the missing students.

209 does not allow an X

Which makes the problem IMPOSSIBLE to solve.

So what do we do then?  I would work towards a solution if anyone could come up with one.
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 3:32pm
Hire administrators and teachers based solely on ability and retain them based solely on results. That's a start.

Do that, and you might actually attract parents who have the brains and character to care about their children's education, the type of parents who serve on school boards for no other reason than that they want to play a part in their kid's education and assure it's being handled properly.

Apparently the Rev. Sen. Meeks thinks only white people are able to accomplish that. Which ignores the fact that the president of the RF school board, D 90, and the Oak Park River Forest D209 board are both African American. But apparently unlike the majority of African Americans in Proviso township, they are genuinely proud black people who put their money where their mouthes are and do what's necessary for their children.

They also don't suffer deceptive, corrupt scum like Chris Welch. And to my knowledge, neither of them have a low life criminal younger brother to whom they gave a high salaried janitorial job.
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by bcbandit bcbandit wrote:

. . . I always Blew off the First day any ways, Who want to go to school for Nothing but paper work and a seat at a desk? BCB... 

This one is just too easy.
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 3:55pm
This Meeks stuff is what I was talking about with Farrakhan and Pfleger. Same issue. I want one of these clowns to explain D209. But they cannot, because it shows their hypocricy and simplistic thinking.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 4:00pm
Well Meeks is all about the money spent per student (at least the interview I heard on the radio about it).  He thinks that by throwing more money at it that it will improve.  D209 is proof that that is not what makes it work.  R-B's district spends about the same as us and look at the different results.   Yes, they don't want to blame one of their own for screwing it up so bad.  How would that look?
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 5:09pm
Unless I'm Mistaken, Some Law was passed that when a Student Don't show up for School, The parent is the one that I think get's Fined or goes to jail, I thought this was Harsh, Since you Can Drag a Kid to School and then he just walks out a Differant door then the one you dropped him/her off at, BUT

I Think a New Rule Should be, After 15 days of no Show, Kick the kid out, BUT I know Proviso Likes to have the Extra Cash..

When your School Holds say 4000 and 3000 Show up, it's Nice to keep the Extra 1000 on the $$ Books.. BCB...
isis View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Mr. D Mr. D wrote:

Apparently the Rev. Sen. Meeks thinks only white people are able to accomplish that. Which ignores the fact that the president of the RF school board, D 90, and the Oak Park River Forest D209 board are both African American.

The Union President of CPS is also African-American. He has publicly spoken out against Rev. Meeks.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 5:30pm
It just seems like a really bad idea to me.  Not sure what it is supposed to teach to the children of Chicago, let alone the ones at New Trier.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Mr. D Mr. D wrote:

Hire administrators and teachers based solely on ability and retain them based solely on results. That's a start.

Do that, and you might actually attract parents who have the brains and character to care about their children's education, the type of parents who serve on school boards for no other reason than that they want to play a part in their kid's education and assure it's being handled properly.

That ship sailed 40 years ago. You are not going to get ANYONE with an option to buy into 209. You might be able to "rebuild" an elementary district that way with neighborhood schools and a nine-ten year process. High School is only four years.
With the premium attached to getting a quality high school education, nobody is going to buy into a 5 year plan for improvement. Why would they? They can go almost anywhere else and not have to deal with rebuilding.
What can Proviso offer that would attract enough back to the fold?

The wait and see attitude missed by a country mile around 1976 when the 209 board surrendered to short-term thinkers.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2008 at 4:22pm
I saw Isis today driving her SUV or minivan. I knew it was her because of the logo on the door.
isis View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2008 at 7:26pm
What does my logo say?

Mary Kay?

Edited by isis - 13/August/2008 at 9:07pm
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2008 at 12:12am
Same thing as your avatar here. The image.
isis View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2008 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by videoguy videoguy wrote:

Same thing as your avatar here. The image.

Sorry. Not me. I don't drive a minivan or SUV.

Edited by isis - 15/August/2008 at 9:10pm
isis View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/August/2008 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by videoguy videoguy wrote:

I saw Isis today driving her SUV or minivan. I knew it was her because of the logo on the door.

I've never seen that logo anywhere else - that's why I selected it.

The only thing you see on my car is the schools I have attended.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2008 at 11:13pm
Big day tomorrow, heard on the radio Meeks has 100 school buses lined-up to take students to New Trier for their symbolic registration. Wonder how and if  New Trier is prepared for this possibly overwhelming event?
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 9:04am
Can't believe New Trier is actually going to go through the motion of registering some of the kids bussed-in today. Of course they will only be allowed to attend if in-district or can afford the 17 grand in per pupil cost.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 9:28am
Will they be given any state aid to cover the cost of the admission?
FOCUS !!
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 9:32am
Who knows, DC, they're expecting about 2000 kids to show-up, starting around 10A. Will be an interesting morning.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>