Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > F O O D related discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review - The Beacon Pub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review - The Beacon Pub
    Posted: 12/August/2008 at 12:28pm
The Beacon Pub has been advertising in the Review and last few weeks, they boast a "New Menu, Great Food - Stop By!". It's located at 101 Circle Ave.

So last night we did. It was a Monday night.....and only a few patrons were in there. Nobody was outside.

We ordered a few tasty beers.....and asked to see the menu. Well....it was on a piece of notebook paper still  in the notebook and was hand written. Thought that was kind of unusual. Burgers, chicken sandwiches and just a few other things.

We played it safe and ordered a quesadilla. They had to make sure it was in stock. It was. While waiting for it, two other patrons came in who had obviously not been there before and asked for a menu. They got the same notebook as we did and decided to pass.

The front door opened and closed a few times at that point, and it is obvious that there is a need for a plumber there because the sewer gas was venting into the bar. I think when the door opened it allowed it to come from the bathroom area and vent out the front door.....it was a big turn off.

The quesadilla came and we took it outside to a newly remodeled beer garden. All new concrete, fence, lighting, tables, chairs. We ate it out there (it was good) and the "cook" came out and we talked for a few minutes. Very friendly guy, said they did the patio about a month ago.

We decided to leave after that, and the sewer gas smell inside the place was bad. Real bad.

The bartender was very, very nice, the place would be great to get crazy and have a band there....but the "new menu" wasn't up to the claim in the ad, and the plumber needs to visit soon, real soon.

I'll leave it at that.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 12:37pm
A couple of comments/questions.

So how was the quesadilla?

You would think if they take the time to put together an ad for the paper, that someone (just about anyone these days) could do the menu in powerpoint and run a few copies.  Doesn't seem to me to be rocket science.

Don't they have to go before the village council to open a beer garden these days?

Did they mention anything to you about they had called a plumber and were just waiting or just oblivious to it (kind of like no one taking the time to do a menu....even a handwritten one could suffice)?

We were going to try it but their ad just says it serves lunch; no mention of dinner.

Guess we'll wait longer and just continue to go to our regular juke joint in town.
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 12:48pm
The quesadilla was good. Obviously it was home made and they had it in the freezer, or that would be my guess, they just cooked it.

Didn't say anything about the smell....but the patrons that were left were at the end of the bar near the smell.....I was very surprised that nobody was leaving. It was really bad. Kinda like the previous owner of my house who used a basement vent for a bath tub drain on the first floor.....when doing laundry in the basement, it would "burp" the seal in the P trap in the tub on the first floor and I would get to smell the sewer gas.

That has been fixed. Now no more smell.....

Looking at the ad it says "Lunch served daily starting at 11:30". I would assume that they would also have food at night.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2008 at 1:15pm

I read it as just lunch served starting at 11:30.  I would have worded it differently to convey that dinner was also available.  Guess it goes with the notebook paper menu.

Post Reply Post Reply