Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Quality of Life Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google Chrome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google Chrome
    Posted: 02/September/2008 at 6:47pm
Has anyone else yet downloaded the new browser, "Google Chrome."

I am trying it out right now and it seems to be a a whole lot faster. There's a comic book from Google which explains why it is better and all of you programmers might be interested in that.

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

If you try it out, post your thoughts.   
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 6:50pm
I am so afraid of virus are you sure this is ok?
FOCUS !!
JM303 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 7:00pm
Absolutely. If you read information at the Link that I posted, you'll see why. This new browser should be safer than anything currently available. Bear in mind, you'll need a minimum of 15-20 minutes to reed the literature provided. Within the next couple of days I am sure there will be a lot of publicity on this -- it was already on the local news on NBC 5 tonight.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 7:01pm
It was wbbm 780 news this morning as well.

I sure like Google's picasa for photos, but I just got used to Firefox.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 7:04pm
SFAIK, it doesn't have a flash plug-in yet.
No youtube? not worth the time.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
JM303 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 7:10pm
You tube works fine (I believe Google owns or has an interest in You Tube.)
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 7:15pm
Ok so being a bit computer illiterate do I have to get rid of Google Earth or Yahoo ?
FOCUS !!
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 8:16pm
ATTN>> I may be Wrong BUT,..

AS far as I know, Both Google Earth and Yahoo IM are Different Programs That Use the internet

Like you having Fire fox and Internet Explorer  are to different Browsers you Should be able to Download the Google Chrome and use it as a Third Program for testing or Keeping,

If you don't like it in say a week or in a Day you Just Uninstall the program...

However Do not Delete IE From Windows XP it is part of the operating system.  
You Will have a Big Issue if you Dump IE.. Older systems like Nt and 98 SE may or may not need IE but Vista  has it's own Updater that don't need IE..

When the Next Operating System comes around it Should be Back to the XP style of system Since Vista needs A lot of new software to work for your Every day Things.. I guess we have to wait for "Roughly" 2010 when the next system is set to be Shipped, It has to names one is to be Called Windows 7  "info Microsoft" the other name Whaich has been Spread threw the Web is Codename "Vienna", Which it Might be..

Microsoft has a Codename for all Projects in the making, I Assume thats if any info Leaks it may be wrong, But heres a lick to all the names that so far has been Found, it seems Full but I didn't see XP SP3 anywhere? Enjoy.. BCB...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_codenames
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 8:38pm
So as my computer technician should I go ahead and download this? After all ya damn well it's you who's gonna have to fix it.Heart
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 9:11pm
Try firefox 3 dc; it's free as well and as watcher showed me, it has a cool image zoomer feature.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by bcbandit bcbandit wrote:

Microsoft has a Codename for all Projects in the making,

Every company has code names for projects in the making.  It's the corporate way of things.  We often times have a hard time remembering which project names stand for which projects.  But ya gotta have 'em.   Half the fun is trying to come up with good code names.
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 9:16pm
I just went to tribune.com And as it looks it might have a bug or two, BUT from all i read, Firefox is still better And since This is a Google Product I'm sure some Info is being sent to HQ on What Hot today in the World..

Off hand it sounds like Nothing Close to Fire Fox And I would wait to see How many people Grab this and wait for Reviews from the internet in the next month or so, If that Keep patching Theres a Problem..

I'm going to Wait, My fire fox Works fine for me And Why do you need another Browser? BCB..
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 9:28pm
bcb, surprised you haven't downloaded firefox 3 yet.
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 9:45pm
I downloaded it this afternoon. I don't know if it is any faster or not (initial reports I read said it would be slower on some pages, faster on others). It seems easy enough to use, and renders some pages a bit better than Firefox. It's based on the same platform as Apple's Safari, but has more features.
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2008 at 9:46pm
I got Firefox 3 on one of my Computers, I don't like it BUT it installed over the top of Firefox 2.

As for what I hate about Fire Fox 3 is only 1 thing... when you start to Type in the www, You start to get a hand of "Suggested"  Spots, I have one email account And it core.com, I start to type core "and before i get to .com" Boom 5 to 10 things all in the "Google" knowledge base pops up..

But The other computer Stills has FF 2 And it will saty that way Till I keep updating the Main computer to a FF 4  or 5 To something I like..

I Refuse to use IE since it has an Update AT least once every7 days.. Too many updates for me, Not to mention Hackers like to use IE/Outlook Express  to hack into peoples E-mails And Send out Virus to your friends using your E-mail name as the Sender of their BAD Virus'ed E-mail.. BCB...

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 6:43am
I test drove it last night. Not awful. Not awesome. For IE users it would probably be a more noticeable boost. The tabbed windows alone would be an improvement over IE.

I didn't notice a big difference in performance. Firefox, with its themes and extensions is more functional for me. I missed my Image Zoom and other add-ons.
It converted my FF bookmarks. Making the switchover without complaint. It has a slightly different look across web pages using different HTML/PHP layouts. Again, nothing bad, but nothing that says it's better than Firefox either.

One minor complaint is that it stores saved passwords in text format. That might prove problematic if your computer is compromised. Another is that its uninstall process left considerable debris.

To uninstall, it opened IE to connect to the mothership. where it then asked why you were uninstalling. Not a big deal. Just interesting.

I think I'll be finding little bits and pieces left behind for a little while.

I would recommend it for IE users as long as it handles IE bookmarks as well as it did Firefox.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 8:46am
I was going to download Firefox 3 but did not know it costs to get it..also my Macafee keeps telling me my computer is not protected and I need to pay like 69$ on up to 189$ for virus protection..holy internet fees Batman is nothing free anymore?
FOCUS !!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 9:19am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

I was going to download Firefox 3 but did not know it costs to get it..also my Macafee keeps telling me my computer is not protected and I need to pay like 69$ on up to 189$ for virus protection..holy internet fees Batman is nothing free anymore?

Not for you?
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 9:25am
HaHa your so clever..NOT !! No answer oh wise one?
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 9:52am
DC, Firefox is FREE.  http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/?gclid=CMHjxLvvv5UCFQKfnAodKW0yQQ  not sure how you found one that charged?

If you don't want to pay for anti-virus, there are freebies out there (unless you use comcast internet, then McAfee is free).  I used to use AVG.  It was fine.  http://free.avg.com/  just download the free basic protection.

Watcher, IE7 has tabs just like Firefox.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 10:24am
I googled Firefox 3 and then went to download now..then it says that it is 9.95 per yr.
FOCUS !!
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 10:30am

Got it ty Pie..do not know why the other site wants to charge for it tho.

FOCUS !!
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 10:33am
ok so do I do Custom install or standard?
FOCUS !!
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 10:34am
Do I set it as my default web browser?
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 11:58am

ok so do I do Custom install or standard?

I usually pick custom as I want to control what other crap it loads on my machine.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 11:59am

Do I set it as my default web browser?

I didn't in the beginning, but have since made it mine at home.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 2:56pm
I chromed, I read, I uninstalled. I'll be scrubbing for a month after reading this from the EULA (you clicked I accept)

"11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license."

bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 3:40pm
Nice, So Google did Basically a Small Scam, The Browser is Somewhat Free, you get to surf the neT all you want As long as Google Can tell their Partners Everything you do..

I was wondering Why no Beta's Testing units were Putout, Thats when It hit me, If you put out a Testing Program And Someone See What Bugs Are popping up,you Might Also See that A lot more Data is Leaving your computer then coming in..

Google is in the INFO Business, How they get that info issomewhat the Issue "NOW" at hand.. I don't think I want to Test Drive it anymore.. My taint is itchy,   You can keep it.. BCB...
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by bcbandit bcbandit wrote:

Nice, So Google did Basically a Small Scam, The Browser is Somewhat Free, you get to surf the neT all you want As long as Google Can tell their Partners Everything you do.. I was wondering Why no Beta's Testing units were Putout, Thats when It hit me, If you put out a Testing Program And Someone See What Bugs Are popping up,you Might Also See that A lot more Data is Leaving your computer then coming in.. Google is in the INFO Business, How they get that info issomewhat the Issue "NOW" at hand.. I don't think I want to Test Drive it anymore.. My taint is itchy,   You can keep it.. BCB...

It's worse than that. Read carefully. Even if YOU hold the rights to original works you post to the web, GOOGLE gets PERPETUAL RIGHTS to use your content as it sees fit.

A little dicier, they also get the content of the sites you browse using Chrome and you warrant that you have the right to grant their use of whatever it wants.

There are more red flags in the EULA, but this was more than enough for me to uninstall it. For what it CLAIMS by my use, it should at least give me a reach around and a stroke or two while I'm surfing the net.
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2008 at 8:57pm
FWIW, Google removed the ownership clause in the license agreement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>