Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The FoPa Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The FoPa Review
    Posted: 11/October/2008 at 2:00pm
A quick note about the oft-disparaged Forest Park Review.

It finished second overall in the Class A (small weeklies) 2008 Illinois Press Association awards competition Friday in Springfield. Five first place awards, two 2nd, one 3rd and an Honorable mention. Not bad when you consider they have no entries possible in the five sports related categories.

I'm sure FPR will outline their accomplishments online and in print this week. Whatever accomplishments they don't trumpet, I will.

BTW, I didn't see anyone from the Lil MAC Post there.

dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2008 at 2:08pm

Blah Blah Blah I LOVED Diane Dornmeyers letter she hit the nail on the head..Bob Haegar would roll over in his grave to see that the Review once a FP paper has now become the OP Review.

FOCUS !!
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2008 at 2:17pm
Yeah.... those obviously biased journalists from Virginia who judged the contest must just have it in for Haeger, I guess.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2008 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

Blah Blah Blah I LOVED Diane Dornmeyers letter she hit the nail on the head..Bob Haegar would roll over in his grave to see that the Review once a FP paper has now become the OP Review.

Not quite sure how you see it as the OP Review?????  Exactly what do you want (besides an apology for their botch on your mom's obit?) from them?  Examples would be good.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2008 at 3:10pm

Are you telling me you see no differance in the Review now and the way it was? Your joking right?

FOCUS !!
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2008 at 3:12pm

Run don't walk to the Library(our's not OP) and grab a stack of back issues from when the paper was here and run by a TRUE FPer and now.

Edited by dogcatcher - 11/October/2008 at 3:13pm
FOCUS !!
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2008 at 4:12pm
Or stop by the Review office and look through their morgue and see for yourself what a syncophant rag the Review was for decades. It's publisher used to a State Rep. or Senator.

And, Pie don't ask DC to actually give you specific, documented examples. That's way above her pay grade. She might hurt herself.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2008 at 6:42pm

Run don't walk to the Library(our's not OP) and grab a stack of back issues from when the paper was here and run by a TRUE FPer and now.

In the old days I never bothered to buy the FPR because it wasn't a very good paper to get news.  But then you like the Post and there is absolutely no news in there to speak of. 

I personally like the Review.
jailbird View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jailbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2008 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Mr. D Mr. D wrote:

Yeah.... those obviously biased journalists from Virginia who judged the contest must just have it in for Haeger, I guess.

I don't think that is the issue sir. I think that the journalists from Virginia probably have no idea what it's like to live in Forest Park and have their weekly newspaper publisher and his writers actually hate the town that they are writing about. Okay, even if you don't hate the town yourself, your publisher does and you clearly hate the administration, our police department, and many other individuals who live here. Your journalism is skewed and although we can see through it, perhaps the Virginia journalists can't see that because they don't know the issues and the situations that you are writing about in your paper.

You call our officials or meet with them and ask them for their statements on whatever the situation may be...but when your paper comes to our doors the statements made are completely altered and skewed to fit whatever slant your biased paper wants to make on the story. It's unfair and unethical. Your lowest man on the totem pole goes on a honeymoon and we don't get a serious paper!!! You throw us a paper talking about what the local officials think about the general election...what do we care? This is a non-partisan counsel, that doesn't matter to us. I'm gonna bet you didn't send a copy of that one in for your awards consideration.

Now don't get me wrong, this town needs it's weekly paper but for God sake can you at least try to act like you respect us and give us anything more than a wet behind the ears editor and some bar-hopping 20 something who writes about who knows what that pertains to nothing????

You, on the other hand are a different story. You seem to paint yourself the virtuoso of the journalistic world but yet you are clearly in your late 40's? 50's? (I don't want to assume) and you are still working for Dan Haley in little local papers. I know you like to think you're the Mike Royko of the area but really???? Maybe I could pop into the Blueberry Hill one morning and chat with you about it over your a.m. cocktails but the stench of that place is a bit too much for me at that hour. So I guess that won't happen.

Oh, and the Review touting it's awards over and over...it's sort of like the guy who picks up the old lady that fell on the street and has to tell everyone he knows that he did a good deed. Maybe you should just put together a good paper and then you could rest easy at night knowing you did a good job, you wouldn't need trophies to make you feel better about yourselves.

Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2008 at 11:18am
Wow JB  your awesome well said.Clap
FOCUS !!
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2008 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by jailbird jailbird wrote:

I don't think that is the issue sir. I think that the journalists from Virginia probably have no idea what it's like to live in Forest Park and have their weekly newspaper publisher and his writers actually hate the town that they are writing about. Okay, even if you don't hate the town yourself, your publisher does and you clearly hate the administration, our police department, and many other individuals who live here. Your journalism is skewed and although we can see through it, perhaps the Virginia journalists can't see that because they don't know the issues and the situations that you are writing about in your paper.

You call our officials or meet with them and ask them for their statements on whatever the situation may be...but when your paper comes to our doors the statements made are completely altered and skewed to fit whatever slant your biased paper wants to make on the story. It's unfair and unethical. Your lowest man on the totem pole goes on a honeymoon and we don't get a serious paper!!! You throw us a paper talking about what the local officials think about the general election...what do we care? This is a non-partisan counsel, that doesn't matter to us. I'm gonna bet you didn't send a copy of that one in for your awards consideration.

Now don't get me wrong, this town needs it's weekly paper but for God sake can you at least try to act like you respect us and give us anything more than a wet behind the ears editor and some bar-hopping 20 something who writes about who knows what that pertains to nothing????

You, on the other hand are a different story. You seem to paint yourself the virtuoso of the journalistic world but yet you are clearly in your late 40's? 50's? (I don't want to assume) and you are still working for Dan Haley in little local papers. I know you like to think you're the Mike Royko of the area but really???? Maybe I could pop into the Blueberry Hill one morning and chat with you about it over your a.m. cocktails but the stench of that place is a bit too much for me at that hour. So I guess that won't happen.

Oh, and the Review touting it's awards over and over...it's sort of like the guy who picks up the old lady that fell on the street and has to tell everyone he knows that he did a good deed. Maybe you should just put together a good paper and then you could rest easy at night knowing you did a good job, you wouldn't need trophies to make you feel better about yourselves.

Jailbird, you sound like a fair and thoughful guy, but you're off base on a couple points.

First, EVERYONE touts their accomplishments-- politicians, businesses, newspapers. Just ask the parents whose kid made the all star team or won a big game if having their accomplishment publicized is important.

Second, you're flat, dead wrong on the "writers actually hate the town that they are writing about" part. No one hates Forest Park. I can tell you many people deeply disrespect some of the leadership here, and with good reason. Some people entrusted with our tax money and the operations of government are unprincipled, unethical, and in at least one case, uneducated hacks, more interested in money and power and influence than assuring the public good is provided for.

Third, Josh Adams isn't wet behind the ears. He covered state government in the New England area for several years before coming here. Although I have to agree, I'm not a fan of "20 something(s) (just turned 30) who write about who knows what that pertains to nothing."

Fourth, I'm not aware of anyone writing in the local papers who compares him or herself to Mike Royko. Which brings me to

Point five, which is, if you really want to convince me or any others that any of your criticisms have any validity, be specific. Bring out a couple FPR articles, quote from them, and show us all how the reporter or editor "completely altered and skewed to fit whatever slant (the) biased paper wants to make on the story."

I seem to recall the mayor making petulant little bleating noises about suing one of the old FPR columnists for libel after that columnist alluded to his connections to Melrose Park. Lil MAC shut his trap after that columnist produced over $875,000 in fresh contracts between the mayor's security alarm business and Ron Serpico's D 88 school board and Melrose Park. Ooops.

The FPR is a good paper. Could be better, but then, people here could support it better. It's not an arm of Oak Park liberals, no matter how badly people here want to believe that. We need more of what the FPR brings to FoPa, not less. Unless you're satisfied with having an incompetent Lil MAC political appointee like Amy Rita as the publisher of your local news source.

Maybe we'll have that drink, Jailbird, though I'll pass on Blue Berry Hill. McGaffer's?
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2008 at 12:48pm
At least Amy lives here and the Paper would not be skewed towards OP and maybe the coverage would be fair and impartial and maybe just maybe they would get their quotes right and print what was actually said not manufactured.
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2008 at 1:41pm

At least Amy lives here and the Paper would not be skewed towards OP and maybe the coverage would be fair and impartial and maybe just maybe they would get their quotes right and print what was actually said not manufactured.

Most all of our Police force does not reside in FP.  Ergo, to protect our village they must live here?

I would bet a majority of the business owners do not reside in FP either.  Ergo, should we not shop with them?

No, so neither do all the people at the paper have to live here either. 
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2008 at 2:27pm

It is called FPR for a reason..it is not called the OP Review.

FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2008 at 2:30pm

It is called FPR for a reason..it is not called the OP Review.

Exactly what are they reviewing about Oak Park?
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2008 at 2:31pm
Thank you, Pie. I'd add Steve Glinke, who I believe does an excellent job, lives in River Forest. Jim Ryan, who I believe does a poor job, lives in another suburb, maybe another planet.

And your vaunted village administrator, who I believe the jury is still out on? Why, when it came time to leave his down town digs, he and his wife chose to move to-- gasp!....Oak Park!

But, in some cramped little minds, at least the mayor's wannabe media mogul lives in FoPa.

BTW, anyone asked Mike Sturino lately if he's happy with his current job?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2008 at 2:34pm
Building Department Director does NOT reside in FP.  Perhaps that's why things don't really get done?????  Doesn't live here, doesn't really care.
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2008 at 3:15pm
Illinois Press Association Editorial Contest results with judge's comments for Class A (small weeklies). Admittedly, it ain't your father's Review, and it damn sure isn't the LIl' MAC Post. but it'll just have to do.

(My favorite judge's note)
Editorial Page; 2nd Place- Forest Park Review
"Compelling content that should cause considerable community discussion. Nice, clean design."

Considerable community discussion? In FoPa? Not since Bob Haeger sold the FPR to the bolsheviks to the east, mister!

News Reporting-Series; Police sergeant indicted by feds- 1st Place- Forest Park Review
"Excellent research and use of FOIA requests to gather information. Good, concise writing."

Newspaper Design; 1st Place- Forest Park Review
"Very neat, organized front."

Photo Personality Portrait; 1st Place- Forest Park Review
"Subject a little soft, but forgivable considering what you ended up with. Brilliant work."

Local Editorial; 1st Place- Forest Park Review
"Good opener. Thoughtful points made/explained throughout editorial and nice, crisp close.

Original Column; 1st Place- Forest Park Review
"Comments on local officials and state politics in clever but very direct ways. Great writing, particularly in 'We'd all like a little money for nothing.'"

Photo Personality Portrait; 2nd Place- Forest Park Review
"Clever arrangement. Works well for the story."

Photo Series; 3rd Place- Forest Park Review
"Odd angles choices, which is a great thing."

General Excellence; Honorable Mention- Forest Park Review
"Not a big fan of the tabloids, but this reads very nicely."
vorots View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vorots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2008 at 3:37pm
So what is your role with the review? And is one to assume that what you post, since you have clearly aligned yourself as a member of the review staff, that it too is from the Review? Or are we supposed to separate the two when it is convienent to do so.

Edited by vorots - 15/October/2008 at 3:41pm
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2008 at 4:50pm
I'm no longer a part of the FPR, Vorots.

And the quotes I posted aren't from the Review- they're from IPA judges from Missouri- I originally mistakenly said Virginia, that was last year.

My only point is there's a quality newspaper in Forest Park. Does a decent to excellent job of covering the village. Like I said before, could do better, but they already know that and are working on it.

I know for a fact that the FPR made Lil MAC's sphincter itch on occasion, he being so allergic to actual news reporting on his activities. I truly enjoyed being a part of that process.

Oh, and BTW, to all those who continually grouse about the Review being an OP rag with an OP focus-- check out page 6 of today's Wednesday Journal, which has a story on the FP Park District's great Haunted House.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2008 at 10:52am

My only point is there's a quality newspaper in Forest Park. Does a decent to excellent job of covering the village. Like I said before, could do better, but they already know that and are working on it. 

folks, Mr. D is correct. factually, objectively, no-way-around-it correct.
FPR is a model of great community journalism. not perfect, but very good.

newspapers exist to keep the citizens informed, not to please the folks in power.
hearing the 'powerful' grouse about the media is normal.
if you have any better ideas for keeping gov't accountable, let's hear them.

Edited by citizen - 16/October/2008 at 10:54am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 7:47am
damn! good paper this week.
kudos to custardo and grey for their intelligent and 'take no sh*t' stance. more of this, eh?
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 10:04am
I was kind of miffed that with the p[roblems being on this side of town Madison St is mentioned as a place to find a spot for a youth center.. 1000 Beloit is where it should be not on Madison St. let's start putting things on this end of town ,there is more to FP then just Madison St. !!!
FOCUS !!
buster View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 10:25am

The beloit property would be a great location for a youth rec center.  A HUGE time committment for volunteers, but I think that there are plenty of resources in FP that should be willing to help out.  THere must be grants and money somewhere to apply for as well.  Donations from local vendors should be resourced.  A Rec center that is open to all that provides a safe environment to the youth of FP - and let them get involved -show them that theydon't have to be hanging out on corners intimidating people for a good time.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 11:18am
Not sure why they would put a youth center in the middle of a business district?  Why not just put it at a local watering hole then?  1000 Beloit needs to turn into something besides the eyesore it was and remains under village ownership. 

But do you think it will really work?  Or will the bad kids just hang out in the alley behind it and then that won't solve anything.
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 12:50pm
"your publisher does and you clearly hate the administration, our police department, and many other individuals who live here. Your journalism is skewed and although we can see through it, perhaps the Virginia journalists can't see that because they don't know the issues and the situations that you are writing about in your paper. "

HAHAHAHA. What BS. I could name another "paper" that is really biased.

I think a youth center on Beloit would be perfect. Like Grant- White's problem, there are too many rentals south of the Ike. Start changing the housing stock and part of the problem goes away.
Gall town smarm
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 12:59pm
The bldg is perfect for it. The goal is to get the kids off the streets and maybe just maybe get the absentee parents involved.
FOCUS !!
buster View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 1:18pm
The Beloit is the perfect location.  And if everyone would just starting thinking (dreaming/hoping) positively about this, maybe something good would happen.  There was some talk initially about the property being used as a "sub-station" - can you imagine if you gut the lower level out for a rec area with police on the first floor!  Believe me, kids would still come once they see the fun others are having.  The ideas are limitless - make "stations or areas - playstation area, music/tv area - pool table/foosball - I bet there are plenty of companies, families etc,. that would be willing to donate used equipment.  Go to Ed's Way/Ultra ask for donations of soda/water/snacks - Ask and ye shall receive!  There would have to be a sign in/sign out w/parent - ask all parents to volunteer 2 hours a week at the center - have it a $1.00 entrance fee + a canned good to get in (similar to what the Middle school does for their rec nights.  People have to be positive, think positive and reach out to their neighbors/neighborhoods and community for help.  Make a small business plan - "Build it and they will come"
Instead of everyone naysaying it and being negative - think positive, be positive.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 1:24pm
If the police can't even get a mother to come pick her son up at the cop shop, how you get this parent to volunteer time and pay an entrance fee?  It would be nice but it will probably be the same parents that volunteer now and the bad kids will still be on the streets.

buster View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2008 at 1:35pm
But what's wrong with trying??? Pie, you probably are right - it will be the same parents that you see all the time, the ones at the park, ball field, at their children's school.  But what if the group were able to get just a handful of new parents?  And then those parents talked to a few more - realistically I know it's a long shot - but as a parent, I feel it's one worth taking.  AND, yes, I was a bit flabbergasted when reading the article about the mom releasing the kid in the brothers care, BUT we don't know the details at all.   Circumstances may have prevented the mother from getting there promptly.  AGAIN, I may be looking at things through rose colored glasses, but no one should ever give up hope or lose their faith in people. And before anyone comes back at me and says anything about the youth in our town, I have been a victim of a robbery, once on the El, and once at gunpoint, I've been mugged and threatened before.  I have stood up to my attackers and still come away (Alive) and still believe that there is good in all of us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>