Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > F O O D related discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Very Important: Five Guys Burgers is coming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Important: Five Guys Burgers is coming
    Posted: 16/October/2008 at 10:26am
...Very important for those that love a good burger and fresh fries.

Five Guys is a burger place from the East Coast that is opening up a new location in Oak Park, near Harlem & Lake in November.   I have eaten at Five Guys while in DC, and it is crazy good.  Very similar to In-N-Out Burger from the West Coast...  the focus is burgers and fries.

Tons of recognition for Best Burger and Best Fries in a number of cities (Zagat rated best burger in DC for 7 consecutive years).  ...finally something good coming out of Washington...

Here is the article from the Tribune:
http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/thestew/2008/10/five-guys-bring.html

Here is the Five Guys website:
http://www.fiveguys.com

Edited by Drago - 16/October/2008 at 10:28am
rdscaf View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdscaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2008 at 2:09pm
Just howl'n at the moon!
JM303 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2008 at 9:27pm
That's the old Rock L's location in Oak Park.  Hope they can get a night crowd; I think that might have been the reason the other place closed.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2008 at 8:56am
Originally posted by JM303 JM303 wrote:

That's the old Rock L's location in Oak Park.  Hope they can get a night crowd; I think that might have been the reason the other place closed.

I'd still rather frequent a locally owned restaurant as opposed to a chain.  Just my 2 cents.
vorots View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vorots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2008 at 10:30am
I agree with Piehead. Currently I would have to say the O'Sullivans is my favorite place for a tasty burger. I am curious to hear where other people think are the best places to get a burger around here?
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2008 at 10:34am
I have to agree O'Sullivans is good, Goldy's good but pricey,
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2008 at 10:52am
McGaffer's on Roosevelt has great burgers.
vorots View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vorots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2008 at 11:47am
Best thing McGaffer's is their calzones
buster View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2008 at 12:21pm
Golden Steer
Doc Ryans (regular, not the $1 burgers)
Healys
Refeverything View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Refeverything Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2008 at 1:16pm
Goldys pricey? 6.50 for a burger and fries isn't bad. The burgers are fresh and handmade, not frozen patties.
BETTER DAYS ARE COMING
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2008 at 9:15am
Yeah but when when your feeding 5 people it's pricey. Good but pricey. Tjhere are no prices listed for 5 guys anybody been there and know the cost? Also Mickey's on Harlem makes a decent burger for about 3.50.
FOCUS !!
Drago View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2008 at 10:08am
Five Guys opens today, November 17th, at 11 AM. 

It is a cheeseburger and fries for dinner tonight!
JM303 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2008 at 9:12am
Hey Drago,  how were the burgers?  Was there a long line?
Refeverything View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Refeverything Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2008 at 12:02pm
Two burgers and one fry, two large cokes twenty one dollars. Almost has a Wendys taste. The line was out the door. I'll stick to a burger and a beer at Goldys.
BETTER DAYS ARE COMING
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2008 at 12:39pm
Jeez.. I take back what I said about Goldy's being high priced. We will stick with them for a great burger, and the Cheers type atmosphere.
FOCUS !!
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/November/2008 at 10:59pm
Plus, if you read the Jrl article, they cook the fries in peanut oil. There are also peanuts in the store to eat, but at least those are obvious, not like peanut oil. Absolutely fatal to those with nut allergies.

They need a sign in their store announcing the ingredient, otherwise the place will be Five Guys with a Lawsuit!
Gall town smarm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2008 at 11:52am
Originally posted by jujube50 jujube50 wrote:

Plus, if you read the Jrl article, they cook the fries in peanut oil. There are also peanuts in the store to eat, but at least those are obvious, not like peanut oil. Absolutely fatal to those with nut allergies.

They need a sign in their store announcing the ingredient, otherwise the place will be Five Guys with a Lawsuit!
Many places use peanut oil to fry in.  You can take it to a much higher temp without smoke results.  I worked in a fish place and we fried exclusively in peanut oil.  I think Asian/Chinese places also use peanut oil.
Pokerdude View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokerdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2008 at 12:07pm
Mostly peanut oil is safe for the majority of people even people with peanut allergies because it is so refined and the protein that causes the allergic reaction is removed in the refining process. This kind of peanut oil is different from the “cold pressed” “gourmet” kids of peanut oil.
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2008 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Pokerdude Pokerdude wrote:

Mostly peanut oil is safe for the majority of people even people with peanut allergies because it is so refined and the protein that causes the allergic reaction is removed in the refining process. This kind of peanut oil is different from the “cold pressed” “gourmet” kids of peanut oil.

NO NO  NO
Refining it has nothing to do with removing the allergans!

Besides, many with peanut allergies can die just by SMELLING it.

And they DO have actual peanuts in the shell there to munch on.
Gall town smarm
jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2008 at 12:56pm
And I really don't care that it doesn't smoke at higher temps!

They still need a sign so that allergic people can make their own informed decisions.
Gall town smarm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2008 at 1:30pm

Have you sent them a letter to their corporate hq?

jujube50 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujube50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2008 at 2:37pm
nope, good suggestion
Gall town smarm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2008 at 2:49pm
I'll (we'll) be curious as to their response.  You can't be the only person that has (or knows someone) with a peanut allergy.
 Post Reply Post Reply