Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where's Barney?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2008 at 8:52am
Your funny Logic.My taint is itchy,
FOCUS !!
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 6:58am
Looking:)
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 9:33am
To try to keep things in line, tie related discussions together and maybe show a less than ideal pattern that has been fostered, encouraged and promoted to questionable benefit for FoPa, Barney's departure deserves note.

A lot of people who were all giddy about being the new Wicker Park/Bucktown need to flat apologize to those of us who warned of the downside. Developers like Barney PREY on communities. Sometimes MORE is just MORE, not better.

The Great Barney- Illusionist

Variances?
Blarney
Blarney?
Responsible Citizen Blarney
More Blarney
The Boom?
Great Guns
(IM)Pending doomed?
Lest we forget the Roos

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 9:41am
Work was actually going on in The Roos the past few days.
FOCUS !!
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 10:41am
Other than making a quick get-away from his real estate ventures in a sagging market, non-payment for work done, liens filed against those properties and being in debt, do we actually know if he has done anything illegal? Is he bankrupt? There are no debtors' prisons. Is he guilty of fraud? Many people are walking away from RE deals gone bad, owing huge amounts of money.

Is that serious enough for you, watcher? Taunt

Edited by logic - 20/November/2008 at 10:44am
denny View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 10:54am
I notice that both his properties on 500 of Elgin and 233 Des Plaines are currently listed by Pilgrim. Being sold as open lots. 
Denny Crane!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 11:00am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Other than making a quick get-away from his real estate ventures in a sagging market, non-payment for work done, liens filed against those properties and being in debt, do we actually know if he has done anything illegal? Is he bankrupt? There are no debtors' prisons. Is he guilty of fraud? Many people are walking away from RE deals gone bad, owing huge amounts of money.Is that serious enough for you, watcher? Taunt

There's enough seriousness, so a little wordly folly is good. Since the topic rolled on to Page 2 with just a pithy serve and one word volley, it needed a little something something on pg 2 to provide continuity.

Be it the high rises, the 6-12 flats, the mall, strip malls, townhomes or tear downs, the story always ends the same. The money leaves town. Or in this case, the country. I have a bitch to pitch to those who hailed Cherryfield et al for their "rescuing" FoPa from its niche.

Have we had enough of Pirate games yet?
Work being done on the Roos? Don't think that one out too far. Who are the likeliest residents for THAT project now?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 11:42am
Let one GOOD thing come out of all the Barneyism. Those with a vested interest in FP SHOULD be a priority, uphold their property rights, work with the homeowners not against them. How about some zoning codes that reflect the reality of FP?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 12:08pm
How about those who are committed to making FoPa their HOME, regardless of status, who think community is important for everybody, and that making a buck shouldn't come at the expense of others? At least without some consideration of the residents?

dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 12:36pm
Maybe the Y will buy it and turn into into a Men's Hotel.Dead
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 3:57pm
Barney Barney, I always said he was just here for a short ride and would leave us.  And he did just that.  And I don't think he did us any favors.  He basically took as many multi-pin lots and built overly large homes on some lot sizes.  I am still not (and will never be) sold on the "quality" of the builds.  I guess more time will tell on that portion.

So all the Commissioners that kept on voting Barney's way; hope you're all real proud and happy.
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 9:00pm
It's not the Barney's we need to worry about. It's the intellectual Fred Flintstones we elect who allow the Barney's to run amuck while they sit on their hands and scratch themselves.

How many days, weeks, months and soon to be years since we heard all the hollow self serving crap from candidates who promised to do something about re-doing the zoning codes?
Sharon Daly View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 9:26pm
hey.
watcher, you really should be documenting our history. you could croak tomorrow, and all would be lost :)

i agree w/you that we had a niche, or i thought we did. that's why i moved here. small, unpretentious, uncontrolling, live-and-let-live.

over in 'a place of her own' i used the term 'self-hate' to describe the re-do of FP residences ( VC, Plan comm, CP writers.) i wondered if it was too strong a term...

reading 10 years of docs, 2 years of comments on this board and reading between the lines - it seems a lot of folks moved here as their 2nd/5th choice, because they could not afford the town they really wanted.
so they got involved, inve$ted and decided to rebuild FP in the image of towns they couldn't afford.
but not on their dime.

you can hardly find a 'connected' elected official or business leader that hasn't invested in multi-family props. bonus points for owning a coach house.
see! they're just like us.

notice not one of them decided to live in those properties - as they were aware of the unspoken reality. 

We the People...
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2008 at 9:32pm

Those with a vested interest in FP SHOULD be a priority, uphold their property rights, work with the homeowners not against them. How about some zoning codes that reflect the reality of FP?

Smile.
they think we're chumps.
and we are, if we don't kick their asses onto the street next election.
the road to hell is paved w/good intentions, fellas.

Edited by Sharon Daly - 21/November/2008 at 7:29am
We the People...
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2008 at 10:11am
i'm feeling like sybil :)

on barney - i have a neighbor who is completely fixated on: did barney abscond w/the $$ or did barney run out of $$.
he feels the answer to this question is the key to our whole economy.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2008 at 11:02am
"over in 'a place of her own' i used the term 'self-hate' to describe the re-do of FP residences ( VC, Plan comm, CP writers.) i wondered if it was too strong a term..."

I thought it too strong a term. When you read the names of those who "contributed" to the CP, you'd have to realize the strong connection of many to this community, no intent to harm but to improve. Unfortunately, when it comes to zoning/housing it just doesn't fit the reality of FP. Now, I don't know what the he** type of zoning codes they're going to come up with, square pegs/round holes, it cannot be punitive or damaging to those who invested so much in good faith.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2008 at 11:18am

unintended consequences? maybe.

i think where we really went wrong was the huge shift from building codes (safety) to zoning (aethetic) codes. they used zoning to shift demographics, without any other interventions.

and w/70% LNC, the system would naturally be prey to favoritism, (mis)interpretation, the whims of changing officials.

in any case, it failed. no objectives met.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2008 at 11:19am

Unfortunately, when it comes to zoning/housing it just doesn't fit the reality of FP. Now, I don't know what the he** type of zoning codes they're going to come up with, square pegs/round holes, it cannot be punitive or damaging to those who invested so much in good faith.

Past as guide...BLIND faith. Nobody ever expects the Spanish Inquisition!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2008 at 11:25am
"In our last exciting episode we learned that trying to fix anything before you figure out exactly how and why it’s broken is, well, stupid." driftglass
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2008 at 12:06pm
Can someone define the purpose of the CP for me? On some level, I just don't get it. How do you take what exists, transform it on paper, apply rules/regs some entirely lacking commonsense and label it a vision for the future?  Was there a Village plan before the CP?
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2008 at 12:48pm
via the Review, 1998 was the beginnings of our attempt to create the first ever strategic plan.
this initiative was promoted by commissions calderone and gillian, strongly supported by the Review and resisted by popelka and jacknow.
creating a strategic plan was the basis for council wars and determined the outcome of the 1999 election, with calderone defeating popelka.
i suspect our Mainstreet Assn.(madison st revamp) and art jones were triggers.

from the CP: "It is the first official Plan developed to outline the direction of future growth and change...The Plan will serve as the road map for the future of Forest Park."

We the People...
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2008 at 1:37pm
from the CP: "It is the first official Plan developed to outline the direction of future growth and change...The Plan will serve as the road map for the future of Forest Park."

Yep, that's what they said it would be..........however, how much did it cost and exactly how much thought went into it and who uses it?
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2008 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Yep, that's what they said it would be..........however, how much did it cost and exactly how much thought went into it and who uses it?
Believe there was input from a cross-section of citizens, how much/little don't know.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2008 at 5:05pm
i'm going to address this over on LNC - because it's important to document.
hope others can fill in my bare details.
We the People...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12