Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Home Repair and Improvement
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

On a Happy Note 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On a Happy Note 1
    Posted: 08/December/2008 at 8:03am
I figure I might post something that isn't negative.

I did my reroof this year and put in four new skylights....which was late June, and now I'm almost done with my bedroom remodel. Been working on it for 100's of hours since then.

- New knee walls
- New window
- New electrical
- Custom built everything

I am 2 weeks away from finishing, would like to get it done by Christmas, carpet is on order. I didn't put a dormer in the room to make it bigger, actually made it slightly smaller, went from 30' x 16' to 24' x 12'. I think it would be of interest because of so many people who have similar configuration attics on this board.

It is over the top incredible. I think I will post some pictures when I'm done to confirm my yuppie status on this board.

Tongue

Cheers!
rosie View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2008 at 8:24am
Must feel great to be almost done. Congratulations!! Would love to see pictures.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all1
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2008 at 8:25am
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

I figure I might post something that isn't negative.
I did my reroof this year and put in four new skylights....which was late June, and now I'm almost done with my bedroom remodel. Been working on it for 100's of hours since then.

I am 2 weeks away from finishing, would like to get it done by Christmas, carpet is on order. I didn't put a dormer in the room to make it bigger, actually made it slightly smaller, went from 30' x 16' to 24' x 12'. I think it would be of interest because of so many people who have similar configuration attics on this board.

It is over the top incredible. I think I will post some pictures when I'm done to confirm my yuppie status on this board.Cheers!

What did you do with the 6'x4' space? From your past exploits, I assume something creative?
It's amazing how malleable a bungalow floor plan can be.

Your YUP status is never in jeopardy. I applaud your efficiency.
(Just don't tell my wife!)

Congrats!
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2008 at 8:58am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

What did you do with the 6'x4' space? From your past exploits, I assume something creative?
It's amazing how malleable a bungalow floor plan can be.

Your YUP status is never in jeopardy. I applaud your efficiency.
(Just don't tell my wife!)

Congrats!

I will post the most flattering pictures of my bedroom before, I have 2 bedrooms upstairs.....one has a 10' shed dormer, so it's really pretty big.....the other half was finished by the previous owner.....he couldn't do a cheaper job than he did.....30' long, 16' wide with 4' high knee walls.....way too low.

Looking back from the street, you can see the "closet" if you can call it that on the right.....and the door is at the very top of the stair case.....who needs a bedroom 30' long? The drywall had the popcorn stuff up, and you could still see all the tape joints, it was never trimmed out....but I have to say I LOVED the colors!!!!

So I put in 2 skylights and moved the wall where the dresser on the left is back towards the street about 6'. There is a small closet at the top of the strairs seen below, it was about 44" wide......with a door that opens out.

So now I have an open wall at the top of the strair case, a "dressing area" about 7' long, and we'll have another closet with a pocket door that extends the old closet from 44" to about 11' long. I will put custom built ins in the closet.

Here is the top of the stairs now, the light switch was on the bedroom wall, you can see it moved back, the dressing area is on the left, the pocket door frame is the metal pieces on the right.

and a couple looking from the street side:

BTW, I do have a permit for framing and electrical and received inspections. Clap
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2008 at 9:20am

Having seen photos of some of your other handiwork, can't wait to see a finished room.  And yes, this setup is similar to my attic (minus the 10' shed dormer).  If there were more than 2 of us in the house, this option would be very attractive to us. 

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2008 at 9:27am
BTW, I do have a permit for framing and electrical and received inspections. Clap

bless you for saying so :)
also, am jealous of all you talented folks who do your own work. lookin' good.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2008 at 9:31am
So the Forum Christmas Party is at your place? 2%20Beers
FOCUS !!
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/January/2009 at 8:34pm
So here's some of the final pictures....still have a few more things to do such as to finish the curtains on the two closets (they will look like the other one).....but it's like a super nice hotel room!

Before and after.....I moved the wall with the door about 7' closer to street to make the room 24' x 12', it use to have a foot print of 31' x 16'.

PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/January/2009 at 8:37pm
Here's a few more......

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/January/2009 at 9:02pm
Sweeeeeet.  Looks like a posh European hotel room for sure!  So when time is check in Big%20smile

You do great work sir!  Thumbs%20Up
Sharon Daly View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/January/2009 at 9:06pm
wonderful!
love the hanging light fixture (especially.)
what is the wood you used for paneling?
We the People...
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/January/2009 at 9:26pm
is it bamboo?
FOCUS !!
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2009 at 5:29am
It's tongue and groove bamboo, vertical carbonized.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2009 at 7:10am

Looks amazing.

FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2009 at 11:27pm
Question for you Paul.  Is the baseboard heating up there new or was that there?  Curious if it is a more efficient than old baseboard heat set up?
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2009 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Question for you Paul.  Is the baseboard heating up there new or was that there?  Curious if it is a more efficient than old baseboard heat set up?

That baseboard set up was there before, you can see it in the before picture. It's actually an oil filled, electric radiator, 220 VAC. I did get a new thermostat though. It works really, really nice. You can't hear it and the room is zoned.

I upgraded to 200 amp service a year or so ago, I might put this in the other bedroom as it has steam heat right now. I love the idea of having the second floor separately zoned.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2009 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

I might put this in the other bedroom as it has steam heat right now. I love the idea of having the second floor separately zoned.

Did you consider a split system for the upstairs? One of the ways to add central air to a radiator heated bungalow is to duct for A/C down from the upstairs. A horizontal GFA or electric heat pump system with A/C coil can be tucked into the knee wall space.

Just a thought...
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2009 at 7:29pm
I do not have duct work in my house. One thing left to do is to install 2 mini split AC systems in the upstairs. One will be in our bedroom above the door, the other in the other bedroom. This way the upstairs is zoned into individual rooms. I will be installing the condensers on the roof. I already have 3 mini split AC units for the 1st floor installed, they are awesome, so quiet and each room is zoned.
 Post Reply Post Reply