Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Letters to The Editor, editorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discussion of letters to the editor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discussion of letters to the editor
    Posted: 15/January/2009 at 9:09pm
My 2 cents again: don't bitch until you've sent your letter to the FPR, and had what you believe are unreasonable cuts done to your missive. THEN place them here. Letter to the editor still have power. In print, on paper. If that's denied you, then avail yourself of your options.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Mr. D Mr. D wrote:

My 2 cents again: don't bitch until you've sent your letter to the FPR, and had what you believe are unreasonable cuts done to your missive. THEN place them here. Letter to the editor still have power. In print, on paper. If that's denied you, then avail yourself of your options.

Save us FPR, you're our only hope? Has the Review ever taken a firm stand on anything? Has it followed up on anything? Face it, it's a Shopper.

Its commitment to FoPa is reflexive and its editorial chops are absent.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 8:46am
Write the letters anyways. State your case. IF the FPR doesn't at least print them, then you've got a legit complaint.

I'm not saying people don't have an argument here. But if some of the crap happening in FoPa was happening in OP, they'd be buried in letters and emails.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 9:09am

Write the letters anyways. State your case. IF the FPR doesn't at least print them, then you've got a legit complaint.

I'm not saying people don't have an argument here. But if some of the crap happening in FoPa was happening in OP, they'd be buried in letters and emails.

Where is John O'Donnell?

Sorry, not buying. Least of all the Journal comparison. I remember the upstart beginnings. Taking on the Oak Leaves and Economist. Heady stuff.
FoPa would be well served by THAT Dan Haley.

He has never applied the Review in the ways he pointed the Journal. In fact he has assured a milquetoast product.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 9:46am
At least it's not the Post!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 10:11am
first, i don't believe printing before/after letters assumes nefarious intentions by the FPR. letters get edited and we've got the space for writers to post their thoughts in full.
i do acknowledge a bit of paranoia (earned or not), and this puts the review on notice that we're mad as hell...

second, write letters! it can/should be the heart of a local newspaper, as the journal is in oprf.
no one can do that but the residents.

thirdly, the reporting on the hosty affair was appalling.
3 weeks, 4 news stories, 1 editorial, but at no point (print or online) did the review offer its readers a chronological and documented timeline to prove their/hosty's story.
forest parkers get the 'no info/trust us' treatment from our govt. we expect more, much more, from our newspaper.

Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 10:23am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Where is John O'Donnell?

Sorry, not buying. Least of all the Journal comparison. I remember the upstart beginnings. Taking on the Oak Leaves and Economist. Heady stuff.
FoPa would be well served by THAT Dan Haley.

He has never applied the Review in the ways he pointed the Journal. In fact he has assured a milquetoast product.

This has nothing to do with Dan Haley or the FPR's editorial strengths or weaknesses. And I'm not criticizing or defending either.

It has to do with people sitting down and crafting letters to the editor. Stating their case and sending them to the paper.

Backman's idea is a good one. I hope we see dozens of unedited letters here that were also sent to the FPR.

Show me a week where the FPR gets, say, 10 letters on an issue, and only publishes one, or none, and I'll weigh in. I don't have to worry about that at present, because most people in this town can't be bothered taking the time to voice their opinions in any effective manner.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 10:26am
I've emailed comments to the Review a number of times.  They usually don't call to verify and then don't publish them.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 10:48am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

I've emailed comments to the Review a number of times.  They usually don't call to verify and then don't publish them.
pie, you bring up a good point.
how about either you or i call josh, and get clarification on how their online letters/comments works.
i, too, thought an online response counted as a 'letter.'
i would really like to see that option/section of the paper built up.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 10:52am
I've not had much luck when talking with Josh.  I've asked about follow up on certain articles they've published and there is never much interest.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 12:19pm

josh says that online responses to stories/letters (via their website) are occasionally printed, but the set-up is mostly for the online reader community and feedback to staff.
comments are monitored and therefore have a delay time.

as always, letters to the editor can be mailed or emailed to jadams@wjinc.com and will be verified by phone.
rosie View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 12:29pm
that's a good piece of info to have. thanks citizen. 
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 3:32pm
Let's see where this goes.
Sharon Daly View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2009 at 6:23pm
well, i sent one in today. l'affaire de hosty.
figure even if folks write to tell me to shut up (not that josh would allow such language), hey it's another letter.

can you imagine if the following week there was a letter of response? like w/facts and stuff?
or a letter on any topic at all, w/facts and stuff and issues?

c'mon. rosie, vorots, itsme, martini, videoguy and all youz guys. just do it.
before the cubs win the pennant. Tongue

We the People...
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 10:45am
lots of letters in today's review. re: calderone jr's letter.
sounded obama-esque.
two issues, tho:
1) wish he would have been more specific. just thinking in general, or in response to specific situations? and who is he talking to?
2) seriously and unevenly focused on respect for govt authority. respect for all parts of our democracy is essential and american.
and resistance is as american as apple pie :)

Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 10:54am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

lots of letters in today's review. re: calderone jr's letter.
sounded obama-esque.

two issues, tho:

1) wish he would have been more specific. just thinking in general, or in response to specific situations? and who is he talking to?

2) seriously and unevenly focused on respect for govt authority. respect for all parts of our democracy is essential and american.

and resistance is as american as apple pie :)

He writes just like his dad-- non-specific gibberish designed to express a generalized complaint without offering any specifics that might be used to refute his contentions.

Basically, a retooling of the old axiom, if you can't dazzle' em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bull s**t.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 11:06am
I guess Tony Jr. doesn't realize that respect is earned, it is not a birthright or right given to elected officials.  By the same token, citizens also deserve respect.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 11:10am
Also, in the Review's letters section is a letter by our very own Sharon Daly.  Her suggested way for Hosty to have handled his 7419 debacle makes so much more sense than the way that Hosty and our village has handled it.

But, again, there is different treatment for different people.  The unwashed citizens of FP are given the same rights as the elected citizens.  The whole 7419 handling proves it beyond a doubt in my mind. 

I wrote a letter to Curry about it and his response to me is just over the top.  Do our elected officials think we all just fell off the turnip truck and crack our heads?
Sharon Daly View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 12:52pm
teaser.
what was curry's point?
We the People...
rosie View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 1:16pm
maybe I am becoming spoiled by reading many of the well written posts on this forum and letters to the editor written by Sharon, but I don't think Anthony Jr. has a very good command of the English language.  His letter is definitely not well written.

For example: "It is honorable to take the high road, to be respectful even when treated unfair or when it seems someone in charge is doing something we don't like or agree with." (question mark?)

and what does this mean?

"Is it just to slander those in authority by slandering them or degrading society?"

I wonder why this letter wasn't edited so it read a little better?  

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by rosie rosie wrote:

maybe I am becoming spoiled by reading many of the well written posts on this forum and letters to the editor written by Sharon, but I don't think Anthony Jr. has a very good command of the English language.  His letter is definitely not well written.

For example: "It is honorable to take the high road, to be respectful even when treated unfair or when it seems someone in charge is doing something we don't like or agree with." (question mark?)

and what does this mean?

"Is it just to slander those in authority by slandering them or degrading society?"

How do you know it wasn't edited?  This may be the best of it.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Sharon Daly Sharon Daly wrote:

teaser.
what was curry's point?
Basically:  "I think you have received a lot of false information concerning this situation.  You may want to discuss this issue with the petitioner (Mark Hosty) or Mike Boyle for the correct details.

And of course this:  "The appliacant did not receive any special treatment..."

But this part truly stumps me:  "The original plans submitted by the contractor were rejected by the Village and were unacceptable."  Which begs the question, if the plans submitted were rejected, what are the legal paper drawings attached to the approved permit application then?  Acceptable drawings?  Someone is zooming someone here and we, people of FP, are the zoomees!!! 
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 7:13pm
good question, zoomeebuddee.
maybe the backman's can clarify. i thought they FOIA'd the drawings for 7319 warren. not just the first or second draft.

also, barney drew the plans??? did he submit similar quality drawings for his other projects?
must say tho, cannot recall ANY rehab work he/cherryfield did that was not his own property. ever.
please correct me if i'm wrong.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 7:35pm
And I'm guessing Cherryfield never took a contract to do all that work for under $25K.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2009 at 8:28pm

And I'm guessing Cherryfield never took a contract to do all that work for under $25K.
yeah, that's odd.
the GC's & subcontractors i've worked w/do it by the books - as they need to stay in the various bldg dept's good graces. they won't jeopardize their rep for a lousy $25k job.

if hosty had the time to write the 60% check, why didn't he have time to check the permit app?
or look out his window to see what permits were posted at 7319?
was he away from his home & job for 2 months?

maybe i don't understand delegating, but i still haven't heard a logical explanation - from any quarter.
until then, i call 'hogwash.'

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2009 at 9:19am
Originally posted by rosie rosie wrote:

and what does this mean?

i give him credit for the courage to write a letter. and appears he has some interesting thoughts roaming around his head. assume he's in his early 20's.
if this isn't just a defensive one-off and he intends to continue writing, hopefully he will learn the skills of clear, persuasive writing. and find out it is hard work.
otoh, if he just wants to jump around w/a thought here and there, hey, young anthony, FPF and the internet is your venue. jump in.

Edited by citizen - 22/January/2009 at 9:20am
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2009 at 10:26am
He is very young, give his writing a chance to mature..he is a really good kid  who with time will get the hang of it.
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2009 at 3:50pm

the Letters section is looking good! 3 last week, 2 today. you're next.

David Meyer pleads with us to vote D209 crooks (Welch, etc) out of office on april 7.
Neil Wren smacks young calderone with a short history lesson re: last week's letter - real americans. good for Wren.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2009 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

the Letters section is looking good! 3 last week, 2 today. you're next.

David Meyer pleads with us to vote D209 crooks (Welch, etc) out of office on april 7.

Neil Wren smacks young calderone with a short history lesson re: last week's letter - real americans. good for Wren.

Bonus! in the print edition "said on the web" Ernie Hines thinks the mayor's a fine, cost-conscious fellow.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/January/2009 at 8:12am
it's deadline friday! get your letters in by 5pm. jadams@wjinc.com
you can't possibly have the excuse there are no 'issues.'

possible topics:
  • ernie hines' letter (2 liner) begs a rebuttal, eh?
  • encourage council on their hiring journey
  • get folks thinking about re-inventing the roos
  • recommend candidates for D209 board
  • vehicle sticker issues :)
  • etc.

Edited by citizen - 30/January/2009 at 8:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>