Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Soapbox
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thought of the Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2011 at 10:07am
As heated as some of this stuff got on other topics and the awful names and such why would jbwb be gone ???

Edited by dogcatcher - 08/April/2011 at 10:09am
FOCUS !!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2011 at 10:31am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

As heated as some of this stuff got on other topics and the awful names and such why would jbwb be gone ???

I kept waiting for him to say something. Like Sentry before him, his antics were tolerated until it all just got too tedious and caustic to handle. The topic that earned him Sentry's fate is not visible anymore. It joined the other spewage in the sewerage.

He is gone.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2011 at 3:01pm
tom tomorrow :)

(my FPF screen doesn't offer me the option to post the actual pic/image anymore, so it's down to links.
i discussed this w/watcher but he said 'i can't see what you see.' and vice versa, sir! LOL
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2011 at 8:54am
yum. in honor of the new Galt movie coming to theatres near you:

since post-election banter is not grabbing anyone, does anyone want to start a clearly labeled thread on randgaltlibertarian-ism. cause the above is the best description i've come across...
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2011 at 9:54am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

yum. in honor of the new Galt movie coming to theatres near you:

since post-election banter is not grabbing anyone, does anyone want to start a clearly labeled thread on randgaltlibertarian-ism. cause the above is the best description i've come across...

Yum?

Still the finest dissection of Atlas Shrugged belongs to the wizard of words, Driftglass:
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts."

I see your motive here. You want KP to drag out his dog-eared copy; to regale us with its timeless genius. Which would force me to dismantle the shriveled crone of self-absorbed nonsense while defending wobblies everywhere.

well-played.

Enough of the people for just long enough. We're almost there. Can you see it yet?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2011 at 12:08pm
it's not either/or. yum! and topical! 
nor was i thinking (only) kp. it appears to me libertarians are a bit shy of declaring themselves as such, preferrring to fly that waaaay under the radar. curious, eh?

greatauntoftriplets View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2011 at 1:00pm
A movie based on part of "Atlas Shrugged" is opening today.  Apparently, it is the first of three parts planned.  Michael Phillips in the Tribune panned it.  That made me very happy.  I read the damn thing years ago.  Hated it.
Round the world, the truth will echo.
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2011 at 6:21pm
I started Fountain Head years ago, bored me to tears. Gave up all interest in Rand until several years ago, I was in New York and Fountain Head the movie was on late night.

It was offensive and bored me to tears, poor Gary Cooper. I should of stuck to my original plan.
backman
Dunlop Man View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2011 at 11:52am
Apparently Ayn Rand believed her hated communism was defeated by profit motivated American citizens who banded together in defense of her beloved capitalism.

I think that ignores the irrefutable fact that several trillion dollars of taxes poured into our defense and intelligence appropriations had a small, wee bit to do with that. 

Basically, they lost the arms race. Which was good, cause they routinely kicked our ass in the espionage race. 
"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman
Dunlop Man View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2011 at 11:56am
The Onion had the classic take on Libertarians, about ten years ago or so.

A photo of three people in a motel room in Los Angeles, with some soda and chips on the counter and a small banner above it, reading, "National Libertarian Convention."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/la-efficiency-chosen-as-site-of-2000-libertarian-c,1480/

Libertarianism is like garlic salt.

I love to sprinkle a little bit on roasted potatoes, but more than a little quickly becomes way too much.

Edited by Dunlop Man - 16/April/2011 at 11:59am
"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2011 at 1:24pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2011 at 10:44am
just funny. i'm sending it to my 'sick' daughter.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2011 at 11:19am
Yep, citizen, that's a funny one. Almost as good as this one for Mother's Day.Mother's Day from sons
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2011 at 8:15am
in lieu of sunshine. oh yeah.
http://youtu.be/h-LbvFckptY
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2011 at 9:07am

I'm hearing the term "straw woman" more and I think I like it.  I haven't read Philip Roth though he was all over Greil Marcus' book about how the U.S.'s chickens have come home to roost.  

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2011 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Number6 Number6 wrote:

Passing on Philip Roth

I'm hearing the term "straw woman" more and I think I like it. I haven't read Philip Roth though he was all over Greil Marcus' book about how the U.S.'s chickens have come home to roost.

Better than Lennon's descriptive I guess. The U.S.'s chickens aren't roosting where they belong. That's some damn good shielding what's been installed.

We're still full on in "look good" mode. Appearance is everything.

Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/May/2011 at 11:19am
@Watcher 

Agreed re: Lennon's description. I was actually trying to remember who said it the other day, and only came up with Patti Smith, which seemed off. 

It's a weird book.  All chickens never fully roost where they belong, but note that privilege is a relative thing and often people have more of it than they recognize.  However, I should probably re-read it before trying to defend the concept further. 

p.s.
When will the funny hats be ready?
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2011 at 1:25pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2012 at 9:43am
Rita Hayworth is Stayin' Alive. pure fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz3CPzdCDws
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2012 at 11:40am
Awesome find Citizen. I love Rita Hayworth and those old musicals.
Conduit View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conduit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2012 at 1:18pm
FWIW, showed to my wife, former dancer/choreographer- her response: "four stars."

For your consideration
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2012 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Conduit Conduit wrote:

FWIW, showed to my wife, former dancer/choreographer- her response: "four stars."

There's nothing former about your wife.
My response: Eleventy stars!

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2012 at 4:31pm
sent to me this morning by my former (no, really) husband. 
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2012 at 9:29am
Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth but most of us manage to pick ourselves up and hurry along.

Winston Churchill
backman
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/May/2012 at 4:16pm
From the Sydney Morning Herald:

Family sues grandmother after fall leaves child disabled

May 29, 2012 - 2:38PM

A woman who fell down stairs while clutching her five-month-old granddaughter has been successfully sued by her own family, who claimed her negligence left the baby girl with "traumatic" head injuries.

The Reverend Hannalore Hoffmann was carrying Molly Boland during a family holiday at a holiday cottage in Smiths Lake, near Forster, on the NSW mid north coast on January 25, 2006. She tripped and fell, leaving the little girl "severely disabled".

Molly's parents Jason Boland and Susan Hoffmann sued Hannalore Hoffmann for failing to take reasonable care.

The NSW Supreme Court heard the Reverend Hoffmann offered to take Molly downstairs about 5:30am after the baby woke and wouldn't settle. As there was only dawn light, the Reverend Hoffmann asked her daughter to keep the light on in her room to illuminate the staircase. She did not turn on the staircase lights so as not to disturb other sleeping family members.

She told the court she slowly and carefully descended the stairs but stumbled and fell to the bottom, still grasping Molly.
In a judgment handed down this morning, Justice Robert Shallcross Hulme found parents and close relatives have a legal duty to exercise reasonable care when they undertake physical actions involving their children.

"Did Reverend Hoffmann exercise such care in this case? In my view she did not. I accept that she thought she was being careful. I accept that often babies are attended to in the middle of the night and in order that other members of a household are not disturbed, without lights being turned on," Justice Hulme said.

"Nevertheless, when regard is had to the totality of circumstances including where Reverend Hoffmann walked and the absence of reasonable illumination, I am persuaded that she did not take that reasonable care."
The Reverend Hoffman launched a cross-claim against several parties involved in the design, construction and installation of the stairs during $400,000 renovations to the holiday home, which were completed in October 2005.

It was alleged that her fall was caused by, or was contributed to, by the fact there was no handrail, anti-slip finish or sensor lights, and the staircase contained winders - wedge or triangle-shaped stairs.
But Justice Hulme dismissed the cross-claims, finding the designers and builders were not guilty of a lack of reasonable care because they chose to use winders, even though they are acknowledged to be less safe than landings between flights of stairs.

He said winders were a common feature of domestic staircases and were allowed under the building code, as were the balustrade and newel posts that were used in place of a continuous handrail.

He also rejected the proposition that an architect should install sensor lights to protect someone who chooses not to turn on the lights.
Justice Hulme's judgment was only on liability and the issue of damages was not canvassed.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/family-sues-grandmother-after-fall-leaves-child-disabled-20120529-1zgeh.html#ixzz1wIg7pQYt

Edited by backman - 30/May/2012 at 4:19pm
backman
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/June/2012 at 10:45am
Published Monday June 4, 2012

Mom strangled son, then herself

By Maggie O”Brien
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Charolotte Schilling killed her 10-year-old son, then herself, according to Council Bluffs police.

Charlotte Schilling, a 41-year-old Plattsmouth, Neb., woman, used a plastic zip tie to strangle Owen Schilling. She used a separate tie to then strangle herself, authorities said Monday morning.

The Schillings' bodies were found May 20 south of Lake Manawa near the Missouri River. The two had been missing since May 10, when Schilling's vehicle was found at Lake Manawa State Park. They were buried last week.

Criminal Investigation Division Sgt. Chad Meyers said Charlotte Schilling had previously attempted suicide. She used a zip tie in that incident as well, but a family member was able to intervene. That attempt occurred in November 2011, Meyers said.

Meyers said investigators have theories as to why she killed her son, but they are not releasing them at this time.
Chad Nation with World-Herald News Service contributed to this report.
backman
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/June/2012 at 11:14am
Geez, Backman, ever google true INSPIRATIONAL stories? Thanks for sharing but those aren't my thoughts for the day.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/June/2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Geez, Backman, ever google true INSPIRATIONAL stories? Thanks for sharing but those aren't my thoughts for the day.
Mine either. Enough of those on the news and in the papers!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2012 at 9:13am
ala' backman, but not as weird :)

from NPR:
Bibi and Poldi, giant tortoises at the Austrian Zoo who mated when they were young, are on the outs. After more than a century together, Bibi decided she'd had enough and started biting her partner's shell. Animal behaviorists have tried bonding games and aphrodisiacs to reunite the pair, but so far, no luck.

from Yahoo News:
Sometimes, 115 years of togetherness is enough. Bibi and Poldi, two giant tortoises at the Austrian Zoo, are (slowly) going their separate ways after more than a century of companionship.

[Related: Near-extinct turtle bred on Bangladesh beach]

The straw that broke the turtle's back came when Bibi (the female) began biting Poldi's shell. Whether turtle or human, gnawing on your partner's back is a sign that the relationship has hit a bumpy phase. Staff members of the Austrian zoo tried a variety of methods to re-light the flame of love, including aphrodisiacs, games, and couple's counseling. Alas, nothing worked.

[Related: Caymans free turtle to honor Queen Elizabeth]

Zoo director Helga Happ told the Austrian Times, "We get the feeling they can't stand the sight of each other anymore." Poldi has been moved to another enclosure, a rather big move. Poldi and Bibi had shared space for 36 years. Before that, they lived together in Switzerland.

[Related: The ancient turtle as big as a car]

We don't recommend biting your partner as a way to get back on the singles scene, but you have to hand it to Bibi for making a big change after 115 years. It's like she's coming out of her shell.

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/11/154738954/tortoise-couple-splits-after-115-years
http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/115-years-together-tortoises-separate-ways-182500381.html

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2012 at 9:49am
I saw this on the news yesterday. Guess they've had enough of each other after all these years!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>