Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Chicago 16" Softball Hall of Fame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol Hatton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Chicago 16" Softball Hall of Fame
    Posted: 16/July/2009 at 1:24pm
In today's Sun-Times (July 16), Stella Foster stated:

"The unveiling of the new "Chicago 16" Softball Hall of Fame Inductee Park located in Forest Park is Sunday.  This event will honor 300 or more great softball players. Afterwards, restaurateur Rich Melman, already a Hall of Famer, will host a North Side vs. South Side game featuring broadcasters Mike North, Bob Sirott, the Bears' Robbie Gould, State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, State Senator Rickey Hendon and others."

Will all of this take place in our park???  There wasn't anything about this in the Forest Park Review.
Carol Hatton
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2009 at 2:30pm
That is because the Review only likes salatious bad news.
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2009 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

That is because the Review only likes salatious bad news.
yeah! and lascivious, too :)

dc, any news on the softball game?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2009 at 3:33pm
You'd think it would be prominently featured on the park district's website.....I found it buried one of the sub pages.

park district mention

With such a huge feature on FP's websites, it should be a resounding success. The forest park.net site refers you to the park district site.

Edited by piehead - 16/July/2009 at 4:10pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2009 at 6:43pm
From the Mayor's office:
"The Unveiling of the Historic 16-inch Softball Hall of Fame Outdoor Inductee Park will take place this Sunday, July 19th, at 11:00 am at the Park District of Forest Park located the corner of Desplaines and Harrison followed by a Northside vs. Southside celebrity softball game.

Hall of Famers and celebrities such as Bob Sirott, Mike North, Robbie Gould, Dennis McKinnon, Rich Melman and more will be present.

Food and beverages will be sold. Come and join the celebration!

For more information please call the Park District of Forest Park at 708-366-7500."     
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2009 at 6:49pm
pie, do you receive these news alerts via email? i don't receive them.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/July/2009 at 7:05pm
yes, you can sign up for them at the village site. I think it's the enewsletter on the site.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2009 at 6:27pm
Today's 16" Softball Hall of Fame Celebrity Game

Amy Jacobson, WLS radio (past Channel 5 reporter). Very down to earth lady to talk to.

Bob Sirot from WGN radio

Jim Peterik, Ides of March fame. He is just a regular guy.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2009 at 6:31pm
What a great time today !!! Robbie Gould and Jim Peterik were awesome. Taking time to hold babies , take pics and autograph everthing and anything with a smile and some kind words. These to guys are who other atheletes and celebs should aspire to be. It was also very cool listening to the old-timers talk about the game back in the day.
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2009 at 7:54pm
dc, when was 'back in the day' according to these old-timers? assume they are talking 16".
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2009 at 10:10pm
Citizen check out the "monument". It's on Harrison just east of DesPlaines. There's a lot of information and pictures there. Let's just hope the punks around here (or their friends from other towns) do not deface it or wreck it. Check it out.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2009 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Citizen check out the "monument". It's on Harrison just east of DesPlaines. There's a lot of information and pictures there. Let's just hope the punks around here (or their friends from other towns) do not deface it or wreck it. Check it out.
ok :) but was just looking for some kind of start date.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2009 at 8:32am
Looked like a long long time ago. The guy that threw the first pitch was looking to be at least 90!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2009 at 9:08am

Looked like a long long time ago. The guy that threw the first pitch was looking to be at least 90!
careful on that age thing :) hell, i played in mid-1970's.
was thinking 1960's. will check it out. thx.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2009 at 9:53am
Oh it went back before the 60's for sure.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2009 at 12:03pm
From today's Chicago Tribune:

Chicago Trib story

And Citizen, game goes back to 1887!!!!!
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2009 at 3:13pm
There was a little old guy there who says he played in 1930 something and he was really really old like about 95.
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2009 at 8:26pm

wow! how/why did chicago invent this? i know, i know, will get over there and get to the reading.

would have loved to be there on sunday, but couldn't. was there much about the women players?
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/July/2009 at 8:55pm
There were a few there did not get to speak with any of them tho.
FOCUS !!
denny View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2009 at 12:16am
I found it by accident. Wasn't paying attention this morning and mistook it for the McDonald's drive - up.   Please tell me they are going to put four walls and a roof over it someday.
Denny Crane!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2009 at 9:47am
The actual museum will be in the building just west of the monument. I don't think the current one will get a roof. I'm hoping whoever designed it planned for Chicago weather and that the glass boxes are waterproof????? I just hope the neighborhood punks don't deface it.
Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2009 at 9:34am

The actual museum will be in the building just west of the monument. I don't think the current one will get a roof. I'm hoping whoever designed it planned for Chicago weather and that the glass boxes are waterproof????? I just hope the neighborhood punks don't deface it.

I won't be surprised when it's vandalized.  My jaw dropped to the floor when I drove by it yesterday.  Foresttucky Park has really outdone itself.  It's such a tacky, sloppy, cheap looking piece of trash, very appropriate for Forestucky Park.  The only thing it's missing is a "kick me" sign.  Now at least the scene on Harrison is balanced.  The Roos dump on one end and this turd on the other.
How's that Roos property working out for YOU?
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2009 at 2:18pm
It is a beautiful place and when all the renovations are done it will be even better. 500K was donated Sunday to do the project to completion.
FOCUS !!
Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2009 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

It is a beautiful place and when all the renovations are done it will be even better. 500K was donated Sunday to do the project to completion.

If by beautiful you mean schlocky and prodigal, I agree with you.  Wink

Go figure, we can't afford enough police to keep people from routinely getting gunned down on our streets, but we can raise 500k to build a monument that looks like Stonehenge made out of giant stubby dildos.  Priority -- something Forestucky Park is never going to understand.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2009 at 9:04pm
Barb Wire do you live in FP? If so, why? Forestucky? Really, we are not hillbilly.

And the $500K was committed to by a state politician, not FP.

Edited by piehead - 23/July/2009 at 8:44am
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2009 at 9:50pm
It's No Gloves time in Forest Park
Annual softball tournament begins Thursday

Click here to visit the Forest Park Review's No Gloves tournament special section
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

-James Madison
Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2009 at 11:26pm

Barb Wire do you live in FP? If so, why? Forestucky? Really, we are not hillbilly.

And the $500K was committed to my a state politician, not FP.

Of course I live here.  If you don't believe in Forestucky Park, why not conduct your own tooth to resident ratio analysis?  I think you might be surprised.

If the village can secure $500k for something so useless and atrocious, regardless of the source, why can they not secure the money necessary to put enough competent police on the streets to keep the village safe?

The least they could have done is built a stonehenge out of highly magnetized giant stubby bats so when the bullets fly they are pulled off their trajectory and into the park monument.  At least that would do something productive.
DancerMom View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DancerMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/July/2009 at 8:14am
I was at the presentation on Saturday and the Village DID NOT receive the grant from the Senator(s) - the 16" No Gloves Organization DID.  I don't believe there are any F.P. Village or Park officials or employees on that Org's Board.  NOW, I do believe that some of those funds should be earmarked from the No Gloves Board to the Park District if the Park District will be responsibile for maintaining the property etc., .  But BarbWire, if you really are upset with the grant of funds, you need to display that anger towards the No Gloves Board, not F.P. 
DancerMom View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DancerMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/July/2009 at 8:17am
http://www.16inchsoftballhof.com/
official website of the Hall of Fame
Directors/Committee

Jack Dowling (Pioneer Era) 630.232.6453
Ed Zolna (1950-1963) 815.469.1787
Tony Reibel (1950-1963) 847.698.2514
Frank Lentine (1964-1979)
Ray Topps (1980 - current) 773.229.8694
Mary Pat McGuire (women) 773.779.7783
John Hie (Umpire) 773.286.5362
Gary Thorsen (Organizers & Managers) 630.894.0414

Co-Founders
Al Maag
Tony Reibel
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/July/2009 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Barb Wire Barb Wire wrote:

If you don't believe in Forestucky Park, why not conduct your own tooth to resident ratio analysis?  I think you might be surprised.

I'd be curious where it is you hang out as I have never seen this to be true. Do share.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>