Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Police , Fire, Village Departments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mike Boyle Resigns. Now what?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 10:14am

The leak has finally been addressed.....here is the sad part....one of the vents that go to the roof wasn't capped properly...a $3 piece of plastic....we didn't know that could be the issue....

FP_citizen2 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 10:30am
Funny enough, that wasn't the paint color we asked for...actually, none of the paint in the entire house was what we asked for....it was reused for all of the units even though we were told we could pick out our specific color....to no surprise, it was never changed.

We would love to be able to fix some of this stuff but are currently not able to due to legal concerns...
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 11:41am
hell's bells, hope you have other owners helping on this.

let's assume y'all are mostly screwed and on your own, blood from a turnip... 
how much to fix the big stuff, like the roof?
does the roof need to be superfixed if no decks are there?
who owns the decks - the top floor owners?

any Fed/Housing Crisis help, as this is a national problem?

Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 11:50am
Luckily, all of the owners are involved.

Not sure on the total cost for fixing everything, but my guess from what I think needs to be done is 50K+ easily....the roof does still need to be fixed even sans decks because doghouses and stairways (none built to code) have to removed and the holes left have to be fixed....plus the cut roof joists have to be addressed as well I would assume....the condos are actually two levels, so we are on the second and third floors (from the street level) - not sure on the fed/housing help - I have mixed emotions tapping into that as there are probably people out there fairing worse then we are (not to make light of all the stuff here)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 12:42pm
I guess one good thing is that Marani is still in FP (even if he gets to avoid fixing things) as opposed to people stuck in the Cherryfield web (no one available as the builder is GONE).
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 1:17pm
That is very true pie and something we are actually grateful for in this mess....and so all reading know, this isn't about whining or looking for sympathy - I think it is very important that inequities in local government and/or service providers are brought to light in order to help inform decisions down the road....
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 1:19pm
yep, marani is stickin,' unlike so many others.
and tho i understand the cranky feeling re: him running his restaurant, it won't do anyone any good to walk away. appears he's sticking w/that, too.

the village needs to get 'resourceful' w/this development, like it has so many others. cough, cough.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 1:58pm
And evidently the village needs to hire professionals to do inspecting. Because there are too many things that aren't discovered til there is something wrong.

We sure can't trust the elected folks to do the right thing. That seems to be a given at this point.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 2:04pm
not to worry pie, the mayor and commish curry are re-assessing the dept of health & safety.
the tuscan loft owners should feel good about that.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

not to worry pie, the mayor and commish curry are re-assessing the dept of health & safety.
the tuscan loft owners should feel good about that.

Somehow I'm not feel all warm and fuzzy......

Was just reading the online review article and one of the comments said they were fixing the Lincoln Lofts that Marani built? Anyone know anything about that?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 2:29pm
probably referring to the townhomes on des plaines. they're called lincoln something
RVHis View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RVHis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by FP_citizen2 FP_citizen2 wrote:

That is very true pie and something we are actually grateful for in this mess....and so all reading know, this isn't about whining or looking for sympathy - I think it is very important that inequities in local government and/or service providers are brought to light in order to help inform decisions down the road....

“To bring together the records of the past and house them in buildings

Where they will be preserved for the use of men and women in the future,

A Nation must believe in three things.

It must believe in the past. It must believe in the future.

It must, above all.

Believe in the capacity of its own people so to learn from the past that they

Can gain in judgment in creating there own future.”

FDR

Edited by Historical Soci - 17/August/2009 at 9:12pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 8:28pm
love that quote. whatcha got on your mind, HS?

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/August/2009 at 11:48pm

“To bring together the records of the past and house them in buildings..."

quaint notion, eh?
'for the record' is just not for buildings anymore.
HS, are you pulling this from the Library's online Review archives? i agree, wildly exciting.
toss in CuinFP's recordings and we have it all.

wait, what are those last two lines?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 5:57am

wait, what are those last two lines?

Wrong? Theirs no they're there.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 9:58am
how about the 'new' health & safety dept kicks zoning out of their lives? just send it packing, kick it to the curb, make a new plan, stan.

most residents simply want a competent, professional and non-politicized building dept that focuses on building safety. that is the mandate, yes?

tuscan lofts is looking to be the poster child for the half-cocked building boom notions that spread the bldg dept way too thin.
altho krader wolf may also be in the running, we'll see.
and 417 circle will always be hard to top.

tuscan lofts appears to be the victim of the complete breakdown of our safety system.
so much waste and pain. so many innocents paying the price for others' incompetence and meddling.
i wouldn't be surprised if tony is up on the roof this morning, ya' know, fixing things.
of course, everything wrong and broken here is pretty much a result of his misguided vision for an wildly overblown bldg dept that's been running in circles for years.

zoning? it's not a health or safety issue and lord knows it's not urgent.
c'mon, safety first. get those building codes up to date and let the professionals do their jobs.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 10:29am

c'mon, safety first. get those building codes up to date and let the professionals do their jobs.

Who exactly are the professionals? Do we have some? With actual architectual backgrounds? Or structure or whatever you need to sign off on a building's integrity after it's been hatchetted?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 11:16am
we hire con$ultant$ for policy yesmanship, campaign contributions and, if we're lucky, professional competency.
our employees, apparently, need only common sense and political loyalty.

no, residents/taxpayers do not benefit from this model.

videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 11:52am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Does a stop work order preclude even a temporary fix to that leak? Do like the bathroom tile.

Let's hope there's greenboard behind it and not regular sheet rock!   

Cementitious board would be the best.

videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 11:55am
Originally posted by FP_citizen2 FP_citizen2 wrote:

Luckily, all of the owners are involved.

Not sure on the total cost for fixing everything, but my guess from what I think needs to be done is 50K+ easily....the roof does still need to be fixed even sans decks because doghouses and stairways (none built to code) have to removed and the holes left have to be fixed....plus the cut roof joists have to be addressed as well I would assume....the condos are actually two levels, so we are on the second and third floors (from the street level) - not sure on the fed/housing help - I have mixed emotions tapping into that as there are probably people out there fairing worse then we are (not to make light of all the stuff here)

I wonder if you owners can work with the bank, maybe get the bank to lend enough to bring the building up to compliance, the owners form some kind of cooperative and own/manage the empty units as well as your own. Once the market gets better, and things are repaired, the cooperative can sell the units.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 12:34pm
Are banks willing to work with condo associations?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Who exactly are the professionals? Do we have some? With actual architectual backgrounds? Or structure or whatever...

i have no idea what skills reside inside the dept, only the bizarre mgmt.

think about it:
ed massa - the wild west, no rules era
tom murphy - by far the most enthusiastic and wholistic thinker. he left when our lazy leaders ditched basic safety & upkeep for the great zoning non-solution.
chris thornton - whatever.
nancy hill - whatever.
mike boyle - just not a good fit for herding cats.

as HS has suggested, we've certainly had enough time to learn from our mistakes. what next, mssrs. calderone/curry?

RVHis View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RVHis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 3:02pm

What are needed are people that know building code and follow thru on the wrongs

I sometime walk down the streets of the village and see new construction that was supposed to have been inspected by the code department and see so many code violations that it is horrible such thing like basic EMT thin wall conduit and not rigid pipe in a cement pour or EMT exposed to the outside elements.

Every building department in any town USA knows the first step is to review the prints make corrections to anything wrong. If this was done someone was not looking hard enough.

Second go to the job site and inspect preliminary work

In the middle of the job before any walls are closed you and the rest of the trade inspection teams check the H.V.A.C., the Plumbing Supply Sewer and Drain systems, fire systems and the electrical systems

Then at the end of work you have the final inspection before giving the OK.

The sad part here is the building is in legal wrangling now with the banks and the owners of the unit’s hands are tied.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 3:23pm
What, other villages don't just drive by in their village vehicles and give it a pass from the driver's seat? Wow! And that was under Boyle's watch so he was ultimately responsible (can't count Curry, he was too busy building without permission ). Or a final okey dokey/sign off without access to the property? (again, can't count Curry but it was Boyle's watch).

In this example, I am using a project I had done with permits from the village so I know what I am talking about.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 9:22pm
yeah, well they did everything by the book on my work. they were extremely professional.
granted, it got a bit weird when boyle demanded my 'papers.' and thank god hosty put his foot down on that LNC tattoo ordinance. he's a true freedom fighter.
i just knew it meant they cared about me :)
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2009 at 10:08pm
The only problem with going the association route is that it hasn't been fully turned over yet....and technically Marani still owns the unfinished/empty units (except for the ones he is renting out illegally without certificates of compliance - and yes, the village has been told about this multiple times).....apparently he is still trying to settle the foreclosure...
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 5:37am
Hush money?

Typically when you resign from a job and are an at will employee, you forego any severance....hmmmm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 8:59am
UnF**Kingbelievable!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 8:59am
this sure is a town of possibilities.
boyle's boss (curry) doesn't seem to know a damn thing about the resignation, but is 'very possibly' negotiating a severence package. what?

of course i'm just an outsider, but it sure looks like our village could use a PROFESSIONAL.
someone w/legal and HR background would be useful.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 9:01am
no citizen, it's WTF!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>