Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Police , Fire, Village Departments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mike Boyle Resigns. Now what?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Boyle Resigns. Now what?
    Posted: 06/August/2009 at 12:09pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 12:40pm
it would be irresponsible not to speculate.

the rumor of boyle leaving has been out there for a number of months - since sturino left in december, in fact.

altho this is a new, breaking story, nobody is talking. surprise!
you may notice that our VC is only selectively worried about the difficult economy.
not when they approved the budget last month, not when they voted for a 12% appropriation last month, but definitely w/the VA hire and definitely w/the bldg dept head.

the salaries of either/both of these positions is chump change compared to the 12%  budget increase appropriation, so why all the fretting and gnashing of teeth? it's just the show.

i believe a giant, freeking power grab is going on, right under our noses.
the VA position is being re-written to accomodate calderone the economy and now the most powerful dept aside from police & fire is getting a re-org to accomodate calderone the economy.

what to do? hmm.

Edited by citizen - 06/August/2009 at 12:41pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 12:44pm
Just love Curry's response: "Curry said. "I'm concentrating on making the department even better than it was."

I don't know about your experiences working but better opportunities usually is a nudge nudge wink wink way of saying ASKED TO LEAVE.

What do you suppose that means? Better than what?

Edited by piehead - 06/August/2009 at 12:46pm
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 12:53pm
It sounds like a cost-cutting move. "Pursue other opportunities" is HR-speak for "forced out." It does raise speculation as to whether the administrator will be taking over that job.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by KPO'M KPO'M wrote:

It sounds like a cost-cutting move.
this, from our political operative? LOL
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 1:37pm
[QUOTE=piehead]Just love Curry's response: "Curry said. "I'm concentrating on making the department even better than it was."
WARNING! Under No Circumstances Should You Hold Your Breath.

I don't know about your experiences working but better opportunities usually is a nudge nudge wink wink way of saying ASKED TO LEAVE.
hmm. i was thinking the opposite cause this has been on the table for a while. the village/curry should have been ready w/their statements. 
maybe boyle said 'enough!' eh?

QUOTE]

Edited by citizen - 06/August/2009 at 1:37pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 1:49pm
Enough of what?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Enough of what?
don't know, but i always thought he had one of the worst jobs in the world.
being a tightly wound letter-of-the-law kind of guy, how do you run a department where every law is made to be broken?
can you imagine pretzeling himself, attempting to cover for our two commish? taking his non-evidence to the review and passing it off as proper? yuck.

or, he had another blowup recently and they fired him.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 3:11pm
here's my fav:
"Curry declined to comment on how he learned of Boyle's resignation..."
that is superduper silent. LOL

mike, maybe we can help you out here.
a) boyle informed me in person, via phone, via email, via snailmail, via carrier pidgeon. or,
b) the mayor told me that he fired boyle.

well, i can't think of any other options. you?
c)
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 3:34pm
It's the same old story
Everywhere I go, I get slandered,
libeled
I hear words I never heard in the Bible...
One step ahead of the shoe shine
Two steps away from the county line
Just trying to keep the customer satisfied
Satisfied
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

It's the same old story
Everywhere I go, I get slandered,
libeled
I hear words I never heard in the Bible...
One step ahead of the shoe shine
Two steps away from the county line
Just trying to keep the customer satisfied
Satisfied

Goodness me, I near wore out that record....A Bridge Over Troubled Water......sounds like a FP anthem

return to Mike Boyle resigns
Katie View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 9:01pm
Perhaps this is the way they will justify hiring Gillian as VA--roll Boyle's job into the VA's job to "economize" and then say we need someone heavy in the trades rather than a CPA/MBA/MAPA/JD type that is typical of a VA.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Katie Katie wrote:

we need someone heavy in the trades rather than a CPA/MBA/MAPA/JD type that is typical of a VA.

What trades is Gillian heavy in? asphalt? Our village has many more needs than that.
Tree Frog View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tree Frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2009 at 10:37pm

Has anybody considered that perhaps the valuable experience that Mike Boyle gathered here has made him a hot commodity in his field?  Isn’t everyone in the building code field aware of the great accomplishment that is Madison Street?  Isn’t it the way it always is, Forest Park routinely discovers hot young talent and they are eventually siphoned off by other well paying municipalities?

I submit that we should use experienced local talent, such as Citizen, to fill the vacancy, similarly to the thinking behind hiring Mr. Gillian to be our new Village Administrator.  She has common sense.  What else do you need?  (This is meant to be funny, not mean.)

FP Property Owner View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP Property Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 12:15am
Does Boyle's Resignation have anything to do with Marani's lawsuit against the village?
FP Property Owner
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 12:19am
Originally posted by FP Property Owner FP Property Owner wrote:

Does Boyle's Resignation have anything to do with Marani's lawsuit against the village?
what/which suit?
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 12:20am
My speculations:

(1) Boyle just got tired of having the council and mayor second guessing him and telling him what to do all the time. Who can do their job with those porkers squeeking at you all the time?

(2) Boyle got fired because he stopped kissing ass, talked back once too often, got labeled as "negative".

(3) Canned to save money.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Tree Frog Tree Frog wrote:

I submit that we should use experienced local talent, such as Citizen, to fill the vacancy, similarly to the thinking behind hiring Mr. Gillian to be our new Village Administrator.  She has common sense.  What else do you need?  (This is meant to be funny, not mean.)

dagnabbit, tree frog, you tipped an upcoming post :)
you're right as rain, hiring me to replace boyle is the dead-on logical extention of the mayor's (and curry's) current hiring philosophy.
but let me correct you: the mayor stated the new VA needs 'just a heaping amount of common sense.' not sure i qualify under such specific needs :)

think y'all should be dusting off your resumes - there's a job for all of us at village hall.
1) do you know forest park?
2) did you used to have a job?
3) do you have a heaping amount of common sense? and passion?
excellent, $100k + benefits. but in these tough times, no car allowance.

Edited by citizen - 07/August/2009 at 8:10am
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 8:33am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

what/which suit?

What could Marani possibly be suing for? The fact that he builds sloppy rehabs (did you ever check out the Tuscan Lofts)? Or that he leaves the music on on the outside speakers over night (when you drive by in the morning you get to hear the music....wouldn't you love to live in that building)?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 9:00am

Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

what/which suit?

What could Marani possibly be suing for?
FP owner, i think you need to provide info on the supposed lawsuit, or delete the allegation. thx.
Sharon Daly View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 11:47am
personally, i'd like a bit more public info and assurance from the village re: the fallout from boyle's sudden resignation, and i assume i'm not the only one.
i'm back in zoning court again and my ZBA hearing is scheduled for Aug 17. i need 'permission' to re-build my screened side porch and expand it a few feet. no, nothing else going on, just because it's a 2 flat.

i've let my contractor deal w/boyle - you'll forgive me for taking a vacation from the process. 
my contractor has been 'assured' that my petition is 'normal' and should have no problem being approved - you'll forgive me for being sceptical.

so, who will be writing the staff report/recommendation to the ZBA?

We the People...
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Sharon Daly Sharon Daly wrote:

so, who will be writing the staff report/recommendation to the ZBA?

Well the Review article stated Teets would be the 'interim' guy, so I'm guessing he will. That should be interesting. I don't think that kind of thing is his long suit (my request for a permit was 'lost' on his desk for over 3 weeks until I called and nudged him on my contractor's behalf).

From the Review: "According to Commissioner Mike Curry, longtime property inspector Bob Teets has been named interim director and Boyle's resignation took immediate effect."

Your change should fly through if 927 Circle is any indication. Didn't Marty say that was a good change for the block (or something like that)? Yours should do the same.

You can see from the pictures that the back section of the house was extended and the new back porches will be further into the yard.

Edited by piehead - 07/August/2009 at 12:04pm
Sharon Daly View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 12:28pm

pie, this is not helping my healing process.

um, i thought the village was overwhelmed by renter crime? which is it?
We the People...
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 1:30pm
Sorry, Sharon. Trying to say your porch repair should fly through. If not, I would think you'd have some sort of lawsuit on our lovely VC as they seem to approve all others brought to the table that are similar in nature.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 5:06pm
wonder if boyle is in for the same public trash talk calderone did with sturino?
i think it was the 1/26 mtg, about a month after sturino resigned - it was something to behold, severe under-the-bus stuff.
basically said sturino was just a highly overpaid, non-achieving something-or-other, and a bit full of himself, to boot.

perhaps calderone didn't realize that voicing his extremely negative job review in public was wildly unprofessional and reflected much more poorly on himself than sturino.
as sturino reported to calderone for 4-5 years and was re-hired, wonder why he didn't fix his so-called expensive problem earlier?

i know, i know. he was just lying setting the stage for the new, dumbed down VA job his pal could fill.
must have done wonders for village hall morale.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2009 at 10:25pm
Typical of Calderone tactics.

Funny (sad) story. A friend of mine was at a gathering that Calderone was at. Calderone talked to all the 'men' at the function but none of the women. Why do you suppose he is such a sexist?
Tree Frog View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tree Frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2009 at 8:30am

C’mon Piehead.  Maybe he is uncomfortable talking to women.  That doesn’t make him a sexist. 

If they were all white, would that make him a racist?  If they were all rich Republicans, who like to oppress people like Watcher, would that make him an elitist? 

I would cut him a little slack on this one.  (Parts of this post were meant to be funny, not mean.)

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2009 at 8:42am
Piehead/Tree Frog...
but you digress?

Replace Boyle?
We don' need no steenkin' head of no steenkin' building department.
Señor Gilligan will soon be here to run the circus.
Cue the hurdy gurdy man.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2009 at 8:45am
tree frog, I don't think the Mayor is shy. The woman I refer to was surprised by the behavior.

watcher, lordy, help us all!

Edited by piehead - 08/August/2009 at 8:53am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2009 at 9:05am

Why do you suppose he is such a sexist?
watcher, could you make this its own topic? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>