Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Police , Fire, Village Departments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Better Building Dept

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Better Building Dept
    Posted: 12/August/2009 at 9:01am

"According to Curry, there is not yet a timetable for hiring a new director, nor is it a certainty that a replacement will be sought. Resources are extremely tight at village hall, said Curry, and there first needs to be an assessment of whether the priorities of the department could be met with a revised employee roster.

"I'm more concerned about moving forward right now," Curry said. "I'm concentrating on making the department even better than it was." http://forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=38&ArticleID=4263&TM=35134.75

there are few that would disagree that the bldg dept needs a fresh assessment. it has been operating in a certain mode since 2004 and it doesn't seem to have a lot of happy customers, nor has it achieved stated goals.

mike, this is the opportunity you've been looking for - for about 3 years.
my request is that the re-org be openly and publicly discussed, including feedback from both residents, contractors and developers.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2009 at 9:40am
The owner planned on starting with the roof, plumbing, electric.

The building department had another priority.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2009 at 9:49am

where is/was that? looks like it was moved?

a heck of a project, but what lovely bones.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/August/2009 at 10:17am
This is my favorite line from Curry: "I'm concentrating on making the department even better than it was."

The bar is not all that high. That is a department that I would love to do a shadow day with one of them to see exactly what it is they do. Perhaps then I might think we are actually getting our monies worth out of that department.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2009 at 12:26pm
Its the Bates house !! Is that Mother peering out the window?Big%20smile
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2009 at 1:50pm
The better building department; the one that allows people to live in boarded up apt building at 915 Ferdinand?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/September/2009 at 11:02am
does 941 ferdinand have building permits up yet?
it was a rather dreadful property when it was purchased in december (foreclosed.)
looks like the work has begun, but saw no permits. 
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/September/2009 at 11:14am
Looks like Housing and Urban Development now owns it.......maybe they don't need no stinkin permits....much like certain commissioners.

County shows it as single family home; however, from the picture on assessor's site, it's clearly a 2 flat. Does the county even look at the pictures they take?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/September/2009 at 11:23am
it was a HUD foreclosure, but sold. did HUD buy it back?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/September/2009 at 2:12pm
The last entry showing on the county's site....shows Housing and Urban Development as "grantee". Didn't find any info on the free transaction sites that I can access for transfers so who knows.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/September/2009 at 2:24pm

no matter who owns it, they need permits. this is not a cosmetic rehab.

FP_citizen2 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 8:37am
Here's to a better building department:

Less than a month after Boyle mysteriously resigns and gets a severance package, the Village lifts a 2 year old stop work order and issues permits for Marani to do work in 2 unfinished units so that he can get them ready for auction - yet nothing has changed in the 2 years to bring numerous code violations up to code except for marani doing a bunch of work in violation of the stop work order. The roof has still not been addressed or fixed (marani is actually putting more holes in the roof with new doghouses and staircases that have not been approved), not one member of the building department has been here in over a month to check on his work ('We will keep a close eye on him") - the joke that is this Village continues

On a side note, as Marani continues to complain about having no money, he is planning another 'Oyster Fest' which I am sure the Village will accomodate by closing the lot behind our building the weekend of Oct. 9 - 11  - interesting how there is no money to be had but construction can resume on unfinished unit, a restaurant is being run, and a huge three day party with live music is being planned - I ask of anyone on here to boycott Marani's party and spread the word to anyone you know that might want to go!

Thanks
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 9:18am
FP Cit 2, have you called the building department and asked them what they are checking or not checking? If you have not, you need to. If you have, what is their response. Without trying to talk to them, talking on here will not help you.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 9:19am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

does 941 ferdinand have building permits up yet?
it was a rather dreadful property when it was purchased in december (foreclosed.)

looks like the work has begun, but saw no permits. 

So have you contacted the building department? If you haven't, as I said to FP Cit 2, talking on here won't get it done.

I can't be the only person that calls when I see something. Come on people, you want a better building department, make them work, call them!!!!
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 9:31am
Hey Pie - yes, we have called, written e-mails, etc. to multiple members of the building department (Bob Teets, Jeff Rinker, Curry, Mayor Calderone) many many times....usually the response is no response....
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 9:39am
@fpcitizen2.
i'd like to see your first graph issues rerwritten as a Letter to the Editor, as a public safety and public service issue.
this is a big damn building and a big damn deal.

these are elemental governance issues - public safety from the bldg dept and a thorough history and accounting from the mayor and curry.

Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 9:42am
Citizen, that is definitely something we have considered and are looking to put together....in our mind, given all of the issues here, certificates of compliance shouldn't have been issued in the first place....
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 9:49am
FP_citizen2, you can write the FPR and ask to keep your anonymity.

You will have to reveal yourself to the editor but the letter can be published with a pseudonym or as the "condo owners".

Edited by backman - 21/September/2009 at 9:53am
backman
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 9:54am
Originally posted by FP_citizen2 FP_citizen2 wrote:

Hey Pie - yes, we have called, written e-mails, etc. to multiple members of the building department (Bob Teets, Jeff Rinker, Curry, Mayor Calderone) many many times....usually the response is no response....

As Citizen and Backman mention, you need to go over their heads then. They need to address your concerns. This is not right. I just will never understand a building department that doesn't respond. They work for us damn it.

And I wasn't being a wiseas* as you might think, but didn't know if you and the other owners had let your concerns be known to the village.

How about a big banner off your balconies on the weekend of his "fest"? I have an old king size sheet I'd donate to you!

Edited by piehead - 21/September/2009 at 9:56am
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 10:25am
Yeah, definitely need to go over their heads...we are at a point where we are looking at higher positions in the state to address these issues

And I definitely didn't take your comments as being a wisea**  - and definitely appreciate the comments!

Would love to hang a big banner but it is unfortunately against our association by-laws...
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 10:39am
You could hand out fliers to people as they are going to the "fest". That can't possibly be against anything.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 11:05am

so, has marani dropped his suit?

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 11:22am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

so, has marani dropped his suit?

Is that like dropping trou (sorry couldn't help myself)?
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 12:28pm
No idea if he has dropped the suit, but it seems like it is being used for leverage although it is rather frivilous and he would have a large burden of proof to climb...
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/September/2009 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by FP_citizen2 FP_citizen2 wrote:

Citizen, that is definitely something we have considered and are looking to put together....in our mind, given all of the issues here, certificates of compliance shouldn't have been issued in the first place....

Have you guys tried contacting all the various investigative reporters on tv and newspapers? Heck, I'd be writing or phoning all of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply