Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1000 Beloit no more

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1000 Beloit no more
    Posted: 19/August/2009 at 4:05pm
1000 Beloit be all knocked down, folks.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

-James Madison
Shar-Pei Guy View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shar-Pei Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 4:20pm
Wow, I was walking a pup past the building last night and noticed the temporary fancing around the property.  Cannot believe it is down!
R.I.P. Dustin
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 4:48pm
What a colossal waste of $$$$$$$$$$.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 6:05pm
There goes our south side community center or police sub-station.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

what are you guys getting there - hoops? LOL

nah, i saw the site sketch at Ed's - so, a little sitting park and 3 pkg spaces.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 6:17pm

Not to mention the new "corner" house.

$300K, plus carrying charges, plus lost taxes forever.
I wonder where this ranks in the dumb money spent hall of fame.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 6:24pm
what's the new corner house?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

I wonder where this ranks in the dumb money spent hall of fame.

Just add it to the list.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

what's the new corner house?

The LNC that was hidden by the old corner house.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 6:53pm
The 2-flat? Yeah, that used to have a huge side yard that they sold off and built that 3-flat on. How they got away with that I have no idea. The owner of Jimmy's I believe built it.
Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 7:46pm
I didn't see the plans in Eds for the corner, does it look nice at least?
How's that Roos property working out for YOU?
Tree Frog View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tree Frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 8:02pm

If you’ll recall, the mayor used the village’s money to buy that blighted proeperty at the height of the last election.  He got credit for turning a blighted property into a police substation/community center/whatever,  and it helped take the wind out the Steinbach/Doolin sail. 

In retrospect, I’d say it was a brilliant political move and a wise use of village money.

dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 8:08pm
A friend told me it looks very nice we will see.
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 8:17pm
Yeah, now the kids will have a park to hang in instead of the streets.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Barb Wire Barb Wire wrote:

I didn't see the plans in Eds for the corner, does it look nice at least?
the drawings? no, weirdly amateur. maybe the middle schoolers did it.
i think open space is nice in almost any situation, but not sure citizens would have voted to spend, oh, $500k for it.
and the bait and switch is despicable. calderone used taxpayer money to satisfy his personal needs/mayoral ambitions. so, he should have bought the building himself.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2009 at 9:35pm

kids need places to hang, that is a given.
i think you should introduce yourself to them early on, tell them you are their SuperBadAssMotherSuperior and any nonsense will not be tolerated.
and make sure the village provides garbage cans.
Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2009 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

kids need places to hang, that is a given.
i think you should introduce yourself to them early on, tell them you are their SuperBadAssMotherSuperior and any nonsense will not be tolerated.
and make sure the village provides garbage cans.

Piehead will be watching:

Barb Wire View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barb Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2009 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Tree Frog Tree Frog wrote:

If you’ll recall, the mayor used the village’s money to buy that blighted proeperty at the height of the last election.  He got credit for turning a blighted property into a police substation/community center/whatever,  and it helped take the wind out the Steinbach/Doolin sail. 

In retrospect, I’d say it was a brilliant political move and a wise use of village money.

Will people remember the lie in the next election?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2009 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Barb Wire Barb Wire wrote:

Piehead will be watching

That's just wrong. On so many levels. Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.
Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2009 at 2:27pm
watcher, is that chinese :) what is your gripe? it will be a learning experience for all. am sure all the neighbors will be watching.
barb - pic is fab. thanks.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2009 at 2:32pm
Scary part....I actually have a nun's costume

And I have a riding crop at my desk at work for people that piss me off.

Edited by piehead - 20/August/2009 at 2:33pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2009 at 3:35pm

Scary part....I actually have a nun's costume

And I have a riding crop at my desk at work for people that piss me off.
you're the one. LOLLOLLOL.

Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2009 at 8:48pm
Woooooo....

I'm re-enrollong in Catholic school.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

-James Madison
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2009 at 1:50am
When Calderone first won election as mayor, he presided over the demolition of a decrepit building on Randolph. That building is now a parking lot for Grant White School, and has still not been paved over, even after many years. The demolition of that building occurred after its owner racked up $500,000 in fines, fees, citations, etc., but the village, led by Calderone, bought the property from the owner, never recovered the fees and fines, and created a parking lot, which, while needed, is always full of blown trash, high weeds, and mud.

Now, under his leadership, once again the taxpayers of FP pay to buy a decrepit building, just to tear it down, and, again, do not collect the fines and fees owed to the village.

I think I will start letting my buildings fall apart, since I can cause such a nuisance that the village will just pay me off eventually. Or maybe I should become a commissioner, so that I can build whatever I want on my lots. Or maybe I should just contribute money to the right people, then I can get away with anything.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2009 at 8:59am
Yesterday finally went by. The village didn't even send anyone into the building beforehand to at least salvage some of the stuff in there. I saw a claw footed cast iron tub in the wreckage. What total idiots. Also, it appears the refrigerators were done with the "claw" as well. And air conditioners.....can you say harming the environment with the freon that probably was released. RECYCLE JERKS!

And then here are the plans posted in Ed's Ways window.
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2009 at 9:29am
Here here, Piehead.  The basic premise of treading lightly on the environment is that you don't scrap perfectly useable stuff because of laziness or because it's trendy (stainless steel appliances I am looking at YOU!). 

Politicians - maybe only local - should all pretend that the money they spend is actually their own.  Especially considering the obsession with wanting to borrow from and idealize private sector practices.  No good business-person would write off 500k without a nice trade off or a very good reason.    
rosie View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2009 at 1:09pm

Yesterday finally went by. The village didn't even send anyone into the building beforehand to at least salvage some of the stuff in there. I saw a claw footed cast iron tub in the wreckage. What total idiots. Also, it appears the refrigerators were done with the "claw" as well. And air conditioners.....can you say harming the environment with the freon that probably was released. RECYCLE JERKS!  
And then here are the plans posted in Ed's Ways window.

That's disgusting. And what about the place next door with the boarded up windows? Do people live in it?
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shar-Pei Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2009 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by rosie rosie wrote:

That's disgusting. And what about the place next door with the boarded up windows? Do people live in it?

One would hope (good luck) that they will have to do something with the building. I highly doubt anyone will do anything though, the house next door to me still has a boarded up window and people live there.

Edited by Shar-Pei Guy - 21/August/2009 at 1:14pm
R.I.P. Dustin
vorots View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vorots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2009 at 1:26pm
Hey dumba**...the building has boards on the windows because they are knocking down another building less that 3 feet away. They don't want to break the windows.
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shar-Pei Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2009 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by vorots vorots wrote:

Hey dumba**...the building has boards on the windows because they are knocking down another building less that 3 feet away. They don't want to break the windows.

Hey f***face, good point!
R.I.P. Dustin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>