Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Unraveling of 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2009 at 11:12am
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

Not qualified for what, exactly? 

"He's never run a city department or held an administrative job in the public sector.

Gillian officially takes over as Forest Park's fourth village administrator on Sept. 15, putting him in charge of a roughly $22 million budget."

Being a good ole boy only carries you so far. I don't trust him with our $22 Million budget! Last time he ran finances, we laid 12 people off. When he negotiated a garbage contract, it was so over the top we could have put out a truckload of stuff a week and the garbage people would have had to pick it up! OVERKILL.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2009 at 11:21am
"A new administrator walking in the door doesn't know the players and is going to spend time walking on eggshells." gillian

interesting insight/projection for the new VA to make. what would make him think that?
It was like walking on eggshells with my father. The smallest thing would make him angry. idiom dictionary

Edited by citizen - 02/September/2009 at 11:24am
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2009 at 11:29am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

[QUOTE=arneharris] When he negotiated a garbage contract, it was so over the top we could have put out a truckload of stuff a week and the garbage people would have had to pick it up! OVERKILL.

Not really.

Had Forest Park had a good contract with WM (or whomever), this would never have been an issue.

Edited by arneharris - 02/September/2009 at 12:24pm
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2009 at 11:48am

[QUOTE=arneharris] When he negotiated a garbage contract, it was so over the top we could have put out a truckload of stuff a week and the garbage people would have had to pick it up! OVERKILL.
Not really.Had Forest Park had an good contract with WM (or whomever), this would never have been an issue.

I am talking about the contract he had for us before our current garbage contract.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2009 at 12:14pm
Think it was citizen who previously posted the question, who would want to be hired knowing the mayor didn't want you? So, in a way, the "walking on eggs" comment makes sense. Also agree with the posting after the article, 22 million is not a small business and ultimately, FP is it's stakeholders.

One thought that came through after reading the article, was the "it's a snap/no-brainer" context in which Mr Gillian appears to view the job. That premise, when something is seen as easy or simple, can promote the bad habit of taking one's eye off the ball.
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2009 at 12:26pm

Not really.Had Forest Park had an good contract with WM (or whomever), this would never have been an issue.

I am talking about the contract he had for us before our current garbage contract.

Correct.
What you described was an all inclusive contract which includes everything, not just items contained within the green bin.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2009 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Think it was citizen who previously posted the question, who would want to be hired knowing the mayor didn't want you? So, in a way, the "walking on eggs" comment makes sense. Also agree with the posting after the article, 22 million is not a small business and ultimately, FP is it's stakeholders.

One thought that came through after reading the article, was the "it's a snap/no-brainer" context in which Mr Gillian appears to view the job. That premise, when something is seen as easy or simple, can promote the bad habit of taking one's eye off the ball.
ditto.
the news was a bit of a downer. almost everyone thinks it's a terrible move.
i am expectationless. or completely cynic-ed. yucky.
Tree Frog View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tree Frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/September/2009 at 9:35pm

I read with a little curiosity that Mr. Gillian is certain he will do a good job.  That is because he doesn’t even know what he doesn’t know.  Outwardly, the average citizen will probably think he is doing a good job.  The garbage will get picked up, the streets will be plowed, and the police and ambulance will come when they are called. 

Any competent supervisor could accomplish this because our employees already know what to do.  The difficultly comes in the subtlety of the job.  The things the public will never be able to evaluate.   Things such as reducing a 50 page legal opinion to a single page cover sheet so all the elected officials can understand it.  Understanding tax law without having to call (and pay for) advice from a municipal attorney.  Letting big things slip by while trying to grasp the minutia.   

Because Mr. Gillian is utterly unprepared for this position, he is destined for failure and the average villager, unaware how to measure it, will never know.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2009 at 7:54am
tree frog, your point on the subtle effects of the VA are similar to tellalian's reasoning when he voted against the gillian hire, and well worth repeating.

in the end, gillian is just an expensive employee with no stated goals.
the job description is adolescent and vague, so that won't help evaluation.
one of the review commenters asked if there were 'benchmarks' attached to the hire; not that we know of.
his assets/skills, as described, are his dedication and history w/FP and long relationship w/calderone.
"I do have a relationship with the mayor where I can absolutely say, 'you know, this is a mistake or bad policy." if so, how did we end up w/so many mistakes and bad policies while he served as commish for 12 years?

as an eval is impossible, think i'll just move on to the 2011 election. but will be keeping an eye on the new plans for the bldg dept.

Edited by citizen - 03/September/2009 at 7:59am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 8:40pm
surprise.
i thought the mayor's next missive via the Post would go after the review. again.
but no, it is us. i mean, you :)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 8:46pm
the post is online, sort of. http://www.forestparkpost.com/
tho, not the page 3 column by 'the mayor that loves us.'
i guess he's a columnist, as there is no 'advertisement' label .
when's the last time you saw a full page op/ed piece by the top elected official in every issue of that 'newspaper?'
it's a rag.

Edited by citizen - 05/September/2009 at 12:21am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 8:50pm
he quotes einstein, but i don't think it means what he thinks it means. LOL
incumbants should avoid this: "The significant problems we face today cannot be fixed with the same level of thinking that created them."
take that, tim gillian.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 8:58pm
just happened upon the new post at famous tonight, so assume most of you don't have it.
the first sentence tells all: "Have you ever wondered where rumors have their beginning?"
all the rest if about tony's greatness and 'the pleasure most of the posters on this gossip site get from slinging mud from behind this electronic mask.'
the lone ranger had good intentions, you guys do not.
i am not s**tting you :)

Edited by citizen - 04/September/2009 at 9:07pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 9:11pm
He is getting more and more delusional. I have not seen the Post. Perhaps I will find a copy out on my lawn some time in the future.

Can't you just see his arrogant self saying that line? I can and I am laughing.
justaparker View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justaparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 9:17pm

Wow! I have not been on here in a while and I can see the same 5 or 6 people are still here. Still don't have anything good to say about Forest Park.

Congrats Mr. Gillian!

Edited by justaparker - 04/September/2009 at 9:27pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 9:55pm
Forest Park itself is fine. it's where I live and have a home.

It's the people that have control of running it that are not fine. They are going to end up destroying it.

Edited by piehead - 04/September/2009 at 9:56pm
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justaparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 10:15pm
C'mon Pie, get a grip!!! I have watched you post for a few years now, you are never happy! This community is phoenimal, always has been and alway will be. The best thing about us is we are a united community, there is no place like Forest Park. If you grew up here or raised a family here you would realize that. Our FP government doesn't make us who we are, we make us who we are. Get out from behind your puter and your camera, quit standing in judgement about everything and everyone and do something worthwhile in your community.

Edited by justaparker - 04/September/2009 at 10:17pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by justaparker justaparker wrote:

I have not been on here in a while and I can see the same 5 or 6 people are still here. Still don't have anything good to say about Forest Park.
justa, the mayor is not forest park. mention this to him.
i will now spend 10 minutes typing the mayor's column, as delivery of the Post has been very haphazard. for the record...
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justaparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 10:24pm
I said nothing about the mayor, read my post!! But hey if you want to type for 10 minutes....go for it.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 10:50pm

Anthony T. Calderone,Sept/Oct 2009, The Post column:

"Have you ever wondered where rumors have their beginning? I have and I must admit that I never paid much attention to them until I ran for Mayor in 1999. During that campaign I soon discovered that placing myself in the public arena placed me in the catoegory of gotcha. What this means is rumors started to fly like the wind blows ever changing its course on a daily basis. Now I am a realist so it came as no surprise to me that these things happen, especially to one who wishes to serve the public.

What continues to amaze me is the sinister message that whomever starts these rumors has in mind? The accusations are abundant like driving a village owned car or being a millionaire or receiving special treatment for work done at my home and every imaginable thing in between.

Rumors are just that, rumors. But what I found myself spending an inordinante amount of time doing is dispelling those crazy accusations.

They picked on my family, they picked on my friends and they picked on anyone that may be associated with me. But as I faced each one of those head on when given the opportunity they were dispelled right in their tracks!

Now 10 year laters serving as your mayor, it comes as no surprise that rumors still exist. Out in cyber space there is a gossip board with special attention to Forest Park filled with so much mud slinging and innuendo that it would make the best of us want to regurgitate. What is prevalent though is that most of the posters on this gossip site do so anonymously, so I guess it gives  them pleasure being able to mud sling from behind this electronic mask. Now of course the Lone Ranger wore a mask but he didn't do so to be sinister but rather he was a humble do-good person who didn't want anuyone to know who he was, kind of like superman.

My heart, and my passion is Forest Park, it always has been and always will be. Since first running for office in 1995, I have believed in standing on issues and rejecting nonsense. It is that guiding principle that I still maintain today. Being a Mayor is not always popular. Government is about good compromise, and sometimes decisions are made that are not popular, regardless, they need to be made. Today we live in a world of Public Discourse in the age of Showbiz. With the internet, digital cameras and information getting to you at lightning speed the real question is are you getting accurate information?

Prior elections brought about change in our local elected leadership. Right, wrong, or indifferent, history will tell us if this change was good for the village. Divisiveness best describes the mood around village hall today and one in which I am not pleased with. The root of the problem is distrust among the elected officials. I believe it is without foundation. It is about personalities only, and this robs the public of a good government. Gaining consensus and agreement does not mean yes people, what is does mean is people pulling together for the same goals, those being public and the services the public receives from the village.

During my tenure the public has never sacrificed any service that we offer. But it has been a fight day in and day out. More time is spent dealing with childish things than looking to expand the role and services government provides to you, our citizens. It's about balance, and genuineness. It's about putting personalities of elected officials aside and looking out for the best interest of the people and the village. But we find disagreement today more so than I have experienced in the last fourteen years serving in public office. So you have to ask what has changed. Is the Mayor off base? Are the other commissioners that tend to vote along with the Myaor off target? Then in a reasoning sense how in the world did we get re-elected?

Diversity of opinion is good, but you must remove personal feelings and innuendo. But this is what happens when you are truly not focused on the good of the village; it is systemic of personal agendas, wrongfully guided by external influences.

More than ever now is the time to come together. Take a look around you. Do you see a better Forest Park? Do you receive equal or better services than you are accustomed too? I hope you do because I have spent a lot of time working at making it the best it can be, for you, the citizens who mean the world to me as your Mayor.

I'll leave you with this thought, Albert Einstein once said, "The significant problems we face today cannot be fixed with the same level of thinking that created them." I will continue to look for new ways, to bring new ideas, and to make this place Forest Park the place we call home, the very best it can be, or course for you.

God Bless Forest Park and God Bless America."

(i believe i have posted the mayor's message verbatim. if you notice typos, let me know.)

Edited by citizen - 04/September/2009 at 11:41pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 10:57pm

C'mon Pie, get a grip!!! I have watched you post for a few years now, you are never happy! 
she was happy last night :)
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justaparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 11:05pm
And your point is....................??????????????????????
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 11:05pm

C'mon Pie, get a grip!!! I have watched you post for a few years now, you are never happy! This community is phoenimal, always has been and alway will be. The best thing about us is we are a united community, there is no place like Forest Park. If you grew up here or raised a family here you would realize that. Our FP government doesn't make us who we are, we make us who we are. Get out from behind your puter and your camera, quit standing in judgement about everything and everyone and do something worthwhile in your community.

I am happy. I am not happy with the way things are being run; that is very different from me being happy.

United? Are you kidding me; you must be. By who's standards?

And then we're back to the old "if you grew up here" crap. Please!

And I would not take your advice as to what you would consider "worthwhile in your community".......sorry. What would that mean to you? Me fawning over the Village Council and all their wise decisions on my behalf?

It's quite obvious that you are of the mind that unless you believe in the Calderone leadership blindly, then you are wrong and not happy and blah blah blah.

Sorry, but I will always have my own opinions. Last I checked, it was still my right as a U.S. citizen. We will mostly likely never see eye to eye and that should be okay.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 11:09pm
Oh God, Citizen, if Calderone believes half the stuff in that piece, he really does need some help. I have just read it once and am dumbfounded by some of the statements made there. Where can one begin?

I think I need to sleep on this one and re-read it in the morning.

God, he really is full of himself, isn't he. Where are all these rumors he mentions? A bit delusional......
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 11:16pm
pie, i think the mayor is talking to you when he mentions 'digital cameras.'
bad, divisive things that they are :)
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justaparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 11:16pm
You call it crap, what ever you want. I am quite obvious? I said as a community we are united, it has nothing to do with politics, we have been a great community for many years......
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 11:23pm

and when he says 'Prior elections brought about change in our local elected leadership,' he's talking about the 'hoskin personality' and the 'tellalian personality.'

oh yeah, that straight talkin', issues oriented mayor really nailed all of us.
remember the good ole days when he just blasted the backmans? LOL
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 11:29pm
Lost in all this is that Calderone allied with Hoskins back in 2007. My guess is that it was a marriage of convenience for both. Calderone knew he needed support among African-Americans to fend off the challenge from Steinbach, and Hoskins knew he needed credibility that an established politician could provide. This unholy alliance lasted until early this year, when apparently it became clear to the mayor that Hoskins would challenge in 2011.

The question for the next two years is whether Hoskins and Tellalian will be able to convince Curry to jump ship. If Curry gets the sense that Calderone is vulnerable in 2011, then he may be more inclined to do so, since it is better for him to be on the side that is in power. Gillian's appointment as VA makes it a little more difficult, though.
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 11:33pm

Not qualified for what, exactly? 

He isn't a municipal administrator. Unlike what Gillian told the Review, running a village isn't the same as running a for-profit business. Governments have legitimate aims other than making profits, which is the primary aim of a private business. Stewardship and the advancement of common goals are the primary qualities of a governmental body. From a technical perspective, managing a local government means dealing with a number of other governmental bodies at the county, state, and federal level. There are grants to be applied for, and arcane state laws to abide by. Sturino, for all his faults, knew his stuff.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2009 at 11:34pm
[QUOTE=justaparker]I said as a community we are united, it has nothing to do with politics... QUOTE]
not if tony keeps writing this crap.
he's drawing his line in the sand - he does this all the time and it's all about him. you can call it politics if you wish.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>