Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Unraveling of 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2009 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

ditto, admin.
the mayor's use of the word 'sinister' reveals a paranoid view of basic cause/effect.

watcher, who is that guy? obviously i can't google him.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2009 at 9:10pm

ditto, admin.
the mayor's use of the word 'sinister' reveals a paranoid view of basic cause/effect.

watcher, who is that guy? obviously i can't google him.

Nelson Muntz

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2009 at 9:32pm

posted on the wrong thread. sorry.

Edited by citizen - 11/September/2009 at 10:34pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 9:24am
a couple of stories in today's review are quite unnerving - namely the marani fiasco and the PD annex.
perhaps i'm prejudiced, but tell me the image of calderone, gillian and curry running these large projects is comforting to y'all. where is the know-how?

'go ask boyle' is a tremedously ridiculous and hostile response to a big damn problem.
apparently boyle and the condo owners have evidence of shoddy/dangerous workmanship, so perhaps boyle was right to shut it down until addressed properly. isn't that what inspectors do?
but the mayor and curry feel otherwise, and gillian feels 'the risk to the public's safety is not great.' very soothing. 

the PD annex. guess we won't have an answer from the contractor as to why their proposal doubled in cost. but that's not what's bothering me.
as anyone who has done any building project knows, ya gotta have a plan. a detailed, wholistic use plan. doesn't appear they've quite got to that part yet.
so, on that second floor - where will the electric outlets go in your high tech world? or will you use extention cords?
or, what do you intend to do on the 2nd floor? that's always a good starting point. 
or, maybe there is a plan, but they don't want to share.

not that i'm suggesting anything sinister... :)

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 10:08am
I have many of the same questions citizen but then we are just residents of FP, not the gifted leaders we've elected and that they've hired to lead the village. Mr. Gillian's dismissal of a risk to the residents is just so arrogant. Curry, what a major disappointment he is. The 501 project, geez; where does one even begin.

Yes, many troubling things in today's Review. Too many!
rosie View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 10:19am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Yes, many troubling things in today's Review. Too many!

I totally agree. I am so disappointed in the way Forest Park is run. Makes me sick.

OTOH am glad that all this nonsense is being reported in the Review for all to see!

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 10:23am
Unfortunately for us, Calderone/Curry/Hosty and now Gillian have the power to push whatever they want through the system.....like Tellalian questioning how come all this stuff was dropped on them literally 48hours before the meeting, no bids, etc. Something in the milk ain't clean!
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 10:26am
We don't mean to suggest anything too sinister, and in fact the common problem seems to have a relatively simple fix.

Yet, the rest of the editorial goes on to suggest da mare's own paranoid delusion about naysayers is exactly what he is: sinister.  From what I've read by the guy, he possesses neither the logic nor intestinal fortitude to be sinister. 

Edited by arneharris - 30/September/2009 at 10:27am
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 10:51am
well, secrecy in govt always has a sinister side, eh?
and, the 'unwelcome concentration of power at village hall in the hands of the mayor' is distinctly anti-commish our commish form.
for instance, what's the mayor doing in the PD annex scene? that would be the bailywick of our commish of public prop, yes?

anyway, think josh was just having some 'word fun.' everyone knows FPFers own sinister.

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 11:02am
"word fun" is no good; not moving.  Need straight shooters for "change."

Tell us how you really feel.  Sharon Daly would've written a better editorial.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 11:26am
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

"word fun" is no good; not moving.  Need straight shooters for "change."

Tell us how you really feel.  Sharon Daly would've written a better editorial.
not so sure, arne. i liked this editorial, only pulled punch was at the end on gillian. you know, the guy on the white horse who is going to save us from tony.
and. i did not know that boyle's severence was indeed hush money. btw, how is that going to work out jan. 1, when the file is FOIA'd?

i'm going to apply for the job of village attorney. it's a goldmine :)
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 11:45am
Huh?  No punches; just inference.  He tried to be clever and ended up uninspiring.  That is not how one wrestles power away. 

Of course, this writer is not working for any particular party... (or is he?)
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 12:03pm

Huh?  No punches; just inference.  He tried to be clever and ended up uninspiring.  That is not how one wrestles power away.  Of course, this writer is not working for any particular party... (or is he?)

Ain't they all such clever bashtids.

(Cue Ian Drury & The Blockheads)There ain't half been some clever bastards
There ain't half been some clever bastards

Cleverness wrought this crap.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 12:27pm

Huh?  No punches; just inference.  He tried to be clever and ended up uninspiring.  That is not how one wrestles power away. 

Of course, this writer is not working for any particular party... (or is he?)
guess we disagree.
i thought it was clear that the projects themselves are not rocket science, but the chronic secrecy on planning/solutions/process is. and it comes directly from the mayor.
i am floored that boyle basically signed on to a gag order, and money was involved. wtf?

the review has been supportive of calderone (and gillian) from the beginning, but that support has waned.
the review reluctantly supported calderone in the 2007 mayoral election, and they opined on their specific doubts.
those same doubts appear less doubtful this year, as we are all witnessing the non-stop clusterfuck going on at village hall, and the review is reporting it.

it is not the job of the newspaper to wrestle power away - that is our job.
we don't have political parties here, but thanks for the reminder :) 552 days.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 12:32pm
arne, i think a formidable problem right now is the effects of the noted secrecy.
getting a hold of documents, or as backman says 'which docs to FOIA', the mayor's constant refrain that he is not familiar w/anything that goes on at village hall, hostile deflections like call boyle, call sturino, etc.

how does one responsibly report on the tip of the iceburg? bit by documented bit, i would say.

Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 1:06pm

Me too!  I don't need, like, an actual law degree, right??
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Number6 Number6 wrote:

Me too!  I don't need, like, an actual law degree, right??
righto! but do you have a heaping amount of common sense?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2009 at 1:25pm

For $90K a year, I can afford to buy some.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2009 at 1:43pm

how much do you think it would take to convince the unoriginal moran to go away?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2009 at 4:09pm

how much do you think it would take to convince the unoriginal moran to go away?

Why would you want him to go away? He reads Dan Coulter.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2009 at 12:50pm
i may have to run for mayor just to be able to say this to adams and haley. LOL
“I’m interrupting my career. It’s not like I want my new career in politics. But I’m willing to interrupt it the same way that somebody interrupted their career and joined World War II and went off to fight the Nazis.”
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2009 at 6:48pm
those Y attorney fees.
i think i was too stunned by the mayor's response, it's taken a couple of days to digest.
from the review:

The cost of pursuing the YMCA project for years, said Calderone, was only $50,000 to $60,000 in attorney's fees. That figure was provided by the municipality's law firm - possibly a year ago - he said, at the village's request.

The firm did not provide any documentation in support of its estimate, said the mayor, nor were such records requested.'We weren't keeping a running tally," Calderone said.'"

we, the village, weren't keeping a tally? how, then, did we, the village, pay the bills?
can we, the village, be hopeful that the 'firm' provided documentation when they invoiced the village?
do you, the village, need a bake sale to purchase Excel? or a new pencil sharpener? or a freaking file cabinet?

tony, this response is so outrageous, so preposterous, so irresponsible...
your disregard for forest park seems to have no bounds.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2009 at 7:04pm
looping back to the Review 'best in state' thread.
it occurs to me that our mayor feels quite put upon regarding accountability. heck, none of the other proviso mayors have to put up with actual reporters from actual newspapers calling them and asking pertinent questions like, 'where's the money?'

you won't win this war, tony. the pen is mightier than the sword - read up on it.
you can write regular rants against those sinister FPFers.
you can continue to demonize the meddlesome backmans.
but you will win neither battles nor wars by telling a real newspaper to fuck off.

Edited by citizen - 15/October/2009 at 7:11pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2009 at 9:43am
so, tony was just blowing off the review and us, right?
it's not possible that our legal bills are not itemized, is it?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2009 at 9:50am

so, tony was just blowing off the review and us, right?
it's not possible that our legal bills are not itemized, is it?

Tony's a vision guy. An idea guy.
Nutznbolts, Dollars and sense?

You need shop drawings for that kinda stuff.

His way, you can take the $290K from the Y, that SHOULD offset
the carrying charges on the Altenheim, and use it to make it rain.

"Small thinkin' don't get you a MALL!" -RBW

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2009 at 10:33pm
wow! wow! wow?
holy crap. holy cow. holy moly. did ya see the paper?
anyone have any restaurant reviews they'd like to share?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2009 at 12:25pm
the review, as usual, will do a 'year in review' this week. that should brighten our day :)

how very disappointing our administration has been this year.
a flicker of hope in january, but then curry sold us out.
and most definitely have not seen change or progress in the last quarter.
very disappointing.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2009 at 5:15pm
'Why won’t village hall talk straight?' best review headline from 2009?

hell, why won't village hall walk and chew gum at the same time :)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2009 at 10:46pm

'Now that village commissioners have completed their home renovations and Mayor Anthony Calderone has got the village administrator he always dreamed of in his longtime friend Tim Gillian, perhaps in 2010 our elected officials could focus on actually running Forest Park.'

good one. LOL
but then josh gives the gang a mulligan. 'now boys, i want you to get down to brass tacks next year - you do know it's your last chance before the election. last year's a charm!
oh, and we have resident type people here that need attention.

just this evening i, too, was thesaurasing - what's a great word for amateur hour...

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/December/2009 at 8:51am
this is (really, really, really) disturbing.
backman FOIA'd the construction documents from gaetano's restaurant addition but was not given all of them.
the village shared the 'all the other' docs w/adams at the review. are you kidding me - FOIA is sacred!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>