Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Unraveling of 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/December/2009 at 9:17am
FOIA is sacred; however, Forest Park is filled with heaping amounts of good ole common sense And the beat goes on.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/December/2009 at 10:31am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

this is (really, really, really) disturbing.
backman FOIA'd the construction documents from gaetano's restaurant addition but was not given all of them.

the village shared the 'all the other' docs w/adams at the review. are you kidding me - FOIA is sacred!

Let's hope that Vanessa and the folks in the class took good notes
transparency
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/December/2009 at 7:17pm
i have a feeling the problem is NOT not knowing the rules.

of course, as an uber liberal, i believe screwing w/FOIA undermines a bedrock agreement between govt officials and the people they serve.
the patriots, otoh, like to take the law into their own hands whenever it serves their purpose. ooooh, what a rush!
they especially like to 'interpret' the law on a case by case basis. maybe that's what vanessa was thinking when she acted in our behalf as our elected Village Clerk.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/December/2009 at 1:18pm

Starting fresh in 2010
Requires studying lessons of 2009

starting fresh, eh? i'm gonna ask josh how many cocktails he had when he wrote that. i'm guessing +4 :)

does a great job of documenting the 2009 trainwreck, then gives it a slight spin, sort of hoping it was the national economy that that did us in.
ah, hope; we're all susceptible to it, except kp.

i sat w/the four big guns a couple of weeks ago to discuss minor issues (mine) and major policy (all of us) and let me tell you their vision looks as dense as gaetano's concrete brick 'fence.'
VH has learned NO lessons in 2009 - none, nada, zilch. they're digging in to 'keep it going.' 
a stagnant cocoon that pays attnys and consultants quite well to prop them up and tell them what they do is legal. way to reach for the stars, boys.

i know i (occasionally:) write like a maniac, but i'm really pretty easy to get on board. just a little thinking and honest intention go a long way with me. probably you, too.
2010 will definitely be a fresh start, it just won't include the folks at VH.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2015 at 3:54pm
Dug up for benefit of hindsight...
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

Anthony T. Calderone,Sept/Oct 2009, The Post column:
"Have you ever wondered where rumors have their beginning? I have and I must admit that I never paid much attention to them until I ran for Mayor in 1999. During that campaign I soon discovered that placing myself in the public arena placed me in the catoegory of gotcha. What this means is rumors started to fly like the wind blows ever changing its course on a daily basis. Now I am a realist so it came as no surprise to me that these things happen, especially to one who wishes to serve the public.

What continues to amaze me is the sinister message that whomever starts these rumors has in mind? The accusations are abundant like driving a village owned car or being a millionaire or receiving special treatment for work done at my home and every imaginable thing in between.

Rumors are just that, rumors. But what I found myself spending an inordinante amount of time doing is dispelling those crazy accusations.

They picked on my family, they picked on my friends and they picked on anyone that may be associated with me. But as I faced each one of those head on when given the opportunity they were dispelled right in their tracks!

Now 10 year laters serving as your mayor, it comes as no surprise that rumors still exist. Out in cyber space there is a gossip board with special attention to Forest Park filled with so much mud slinging and innuendo that it would make the best of us want to regurgitate. What is prevalent though is that most of the posters on this gossip site do so anonymously, so I guess it gives them pleasure being able to mud sling from behind this electronic mask. Now of course the Lone Ranger wore a mask but he didn't do so to be sinister but rather he was a humble do-good person who didn't want anuyone to know who he was, kind of like superman.

My heart, and my passion is Forest Park, it always has been and always will be. Since first running for office in 1995, I have believed in standing on issues and rejecting nonsense. It is that guiding principle that I still maintain today. Being a Mayor is not always popular. Government is about good compromise, and sometimes decisions are made that are not popular, regardless, they need to be made. Today we live in a world of Public Discourse in the age of Showbiz. With the internet, digital cameras and information getting to you at lightning speed the real question is are you getting accurate information?

Prior elections brought about change in our local elected leadership. Right, wrong, or indifferent, history will tell us if this change was good for the village. Divisiveness best describes the mood around village hall today and one in which I am not pleased with. The root of the problem is distrust among the elected officials. I believe it is without foundation. It is about personalities only, and this robs the public of a good government. Gaining consensus and agreement does not mean yes people, what is does mean is people pulling together for the same goals, those being public and the services the public receives from the village.

During my tenure the public has never sacrificed any service that we offer. But it has been a fight day in and day out. More time is spent dealing with childish things than looking to expand the role and services government provides to you, our citizens. It's about balance, and genuineness. It's about putting personalities of elected officials aside and looking out for the best interest of the people and the village. But we find disagreement today more so than I have experienced in the last fourteen years serving in public office. So you have to ask what has changed. Is the Mayor off base? Are the other commissioners that tend to vote along with the Myaor off target? Then in a reasoning sense how in the world did we get re-elected?

Diversity of opinion is good, but you must remove personal feelings and innuendo. But this is what happens when you are truly not focused on the good of the village; it is systemic of personal agendas, wrongfully guided by external influences.

More than ever now is the time to come together. Take a look around you. Do you see a better Forest Park? Do you receive equal or better services than you are accustomed too? I hope you do because I have spent a lot of time working at making it the best it can be, for you, the citizens who mean the world to me as your Mayor.

I'll leave you with this thought, Albert Einstein once said, "The significant problems we face today cannot be fixed with the same level of thinking that created them." I will continue to look for new ways, to bring new ideas, and to make this place Forest Park the place we call home, the very best it can be, or course for you.

God Bless Forest Park and God Bless America."

(i believe i have posted the mayor's message verbatim. if you notice typos, let me know.)

Edited by citizen - 04/September/2009 at 11:41pm
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2015 at 5:03pm
And I still don't like him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678