Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Unraveling of 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Great Unraveling of 2009
    Posted: 25/August/2009 at 10:47pm
no need to fill in all the slots tonight,as the hits just keep on coming. and what's the hurry?

goodgodalmighty, the Youth Commission!?! mary win connor and rachel entler?
c'mon.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 9:16am
"Rory Hoskins had that party for political reasons," Calderone said.  that's rich. LOL

new rule: no politicking in town, except by mayoral order. see: groovin, st. paddy, every single event for seniors, etc.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 9:43am
The thing is citizen, all the Calderone drones, take what he says as gospel. Kind of like a zombie nation of followers.
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 9:46am
But wasn't Mary Win Connor one of his drones?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Martini Martini wrote:

But wasn't Mary Win Connor one of his drones?
i don't know her, but clearly she and her family are extremely involved folks. i'm sure this has been very painful.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 10:04am
I know Mary Win Connor is a huge contributor to "The Post". Maybe they had a parting of the ways.....
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 10:18am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

"Rory Hoskins had that party for political reasons," Calderone said.  

let me go out on a limb here. uh, the mayor is going to run for re-election in 2011.
so let's anticipate another thread: The Great Band-Aid of 2010.
expect great 'movement' in the building dept.
expect great proclamations by curry re: zoning.
expect all sorts of mock cost cutting via our new leader, tim gillian, the mayor's ex(?)campaign manager.

anyone else feeling prescient today?

Edited by citizen - 26/August/2009 at 11:27am
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 10:33am

anyone else feeling prescient today?

Unless that means sick to my stomach, no?
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 10:43am
Ok but we also have a Commisioner who not only uses our Park for political fundraisers, but then requests Black police officers ..reverse discrimination anyone? A cop is a cop why the demand for a particular color? If anyone white person demanded no Black cops be used Jesse and the coalition would be up our asses.
FOCUS !!
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 10:50am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

.... then requests Black police officers ..reverse discrimination anyone? A cop is a cop why the demand for a particular color?
Where did you hear that, DC?
DancerMom View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DancerMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 11:03am
I was at the pool party for the Juneteenth celebration with my kids and I am familiar enough with both the Mayor and Hoskins (having voted for both and worked on their behalf  (maybe foolishly now in reflection;calderone) during election time to some extent) and at no time during this pool party did I get any type of feeling that it was politically motivated.  It would have made me quite uncomfortable if there was a political feeling since that was not how the event was advertised, i would have spoken up and left.  DC - where you there?  It's all about who you know and/or who you don't. 
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 11:28am
Waving the newbie flag!!     What have the mayoral candidates been like historically around here?  Are there real contenders or is it like the Daley sit where no one really runs?  
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 11:36am

Ok but we also have a Commisioner who not only uses our Park for political fundraisers, but then requests Black police officers ..reverse discrimination anyone? A cop is a cop why the demand for a particular color? If anyone white person demanded no Black cops be used Jesse and the coalition would be up our asses.

two thoughts, dc.
1) your allegations are unmitigated crap w/out details or evidence
2) pace yourself. save the big 'cards' for the finale.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 11:38am

Ok but we also have a Commisioner who not only uses our Park for political fundraisers

""Rory Hoskins had that party for political reasons," Calderone said."

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 11:39am
LOL.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 2:27pm
Not crap ask Rory yourself.
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 2:28pm

Who said "crap"?

I will ask Rory.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Who said "crap"? I will ask Rory.
i said crap, because i have no idea what she's talking about.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 2:43pm
Okay then, that one's settled.

I sent Rory an email. I will let you know if/when he responds. Not sure he's keen on fp.net email system as spying might still be happening there......
DancerMom View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DancerMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 3:08pm
I received a postcard sized "invite" to the juneteenth celebration.  It was 100% geared towards that celebration. 
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 6:50pm

Ok but we also have a Commisioner who not only uses our Park for political fundraisers...
let's start w/the simple stuff.

'only uses?' i understood hoskins has been quite involved in many park programs. coaches teams, sits on committees/boards. probably takes a dip now and then.
'uses?' i understood this event celebrated Juneteenth. here's the letter to ed thanking all the volunteers and supporters. http://forestparkreview.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=4170&SectionID=3&SubSectionID=17&S=1
'political fundraisers?'  hoskins was raising campaign funds at a free event? attendees were asked to donate funds? hoskins is running for office? if so, which one?
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 7:51pm
Hey Folks, remember this thread from a few months ago? 

In it there is a discussion of whether the pool party was a fundraiser and DC was informed that it wasn't so she said she would go. 

So DC did you get there and find some sort of underground fundraising going on at a FREE event?????
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2009 at 10:08pm
We went for like 10 min had the baby so we could not stay..could care less really.
FOCUS !!
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2009 at 8:00am

We went for like 10 min had the baby so we could not stay..could care less really.

So you went to a FREE event for less than 10 minutes but you KNOW that it was a fundraiser and that the person who sponsored it DEMANDED black officers for security?

Wow, for someone who could care less you really seem interested.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2009 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Number6 Number6 wrote:

What have the mayoral candidates been like historically around here?  Are there real contenders or is it like the Daley sit where no one really runs?  

in 1999, mayor popelka was challenged by then commish tony calderone, bill lichtenberg and james greco.
2003 - was there a mayoral challenge?
2007 - patrick doolin and terry steinback challenged.

yes, real contenders, not a lay up.
while incumbancy has its benefit$, i'm expecting a barnburner in 2011.

another piece is our peculiar govt, the commissioner form. traditionally the mayoral position is not particularly strong, as all 5 officials have their admin duties.
our system is nothing like chicago's, altho i can see how it might appear that way :)

three organzied commissioners would wield more power than the mayoral position. Wink

Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2009 at 8:54am
I have no idea what Lorraine Popelka was like at the beginning because I was not living here but at the end she was behaving very much like Calderone is now.  Do it my way or you pay the price!  I vividly remember her battle with Jim Shaw over the rooftop deck at Doc Ryans.

I liked how Calderone started out.  Bringing in new businesses, revitalizing Madison Street as a viable downtown district.  But for the last several years he seems to have either started taking advice from the wrong people or just let his ego get in the way because all of a sudden, its his way or the highway.

This issue with the Youth Commission is a perfect example.  Why would he go after 2 women who are just trying to help the kids in town?  The real question, is what did they do to tick him off?
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2009 at 8:56am

Originally posted by Number6 Number6 wrote:

What have the mayoral candidates been like historically around here?  Are there real contenders or is it like the Daley sit where no one really runs?  

in 1999, mayor popelka was challenged by then commish tony calderone, bill lichtenberg and james greco.
2003 - was there a mayoral challenge?
2007 - patrick doolin and terry steinback challenged.

yes, real contenders, not a lay up.
while incumbancy has its benefit$, i'm expecting a barnburner in 2011.

another piece is our peculiar govt, the commissioner form. traditionally the mayoral position is not particularly strong, as all 5 officials have their admin duties.
our system is nothing like chicago's, altho i can see how it might appear that way :)

three organzied commissioners would wield more power than the mayoral position. Wink

I can see now how a united voting bloc is a powerful thing.  This has actually been helpful in illustrating how this style of gov't. operates. 
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2009 at 9:05am

This issue with the Youth Commission is a perfect example.  Why would he go after 2 women who are just trying to help the kids in town?  The real question, is what did they do to tick him off?

Minor thing, but I would prefer to think of it as him going after two volunteers on the youth commission as opposed to women "just trying to help the kids".  This characterization gives the implication he was bulling girls as opposed to volunteers for a government entity. 

Just saying!  Smile
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2009 at 9:08am
I stand corrected on my semantics Number 6, you are correct.  He is going after two VOLUNTEERS on the YOUTH commission.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2009 at 9:36am

The real question, is what did they do to tick him off?

it appears the troubles stem from the youth commission's involvement w/the Juneteenth event, yes?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>