Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free gyros day, Sept. 1 - Event Date: 01/September/2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Free gyros day, Sept. 1
    Posted: 31/August/2009 at 12:48pm
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 1:27pm
WOW - that is one big promo.

we've had a few threads w/photographed food. some folks don't think it looks very, uh, appetizing :) but 'free' counts for alot.
and piehead always sends good food photos when she travels.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 1:31pm
I love gyros but Sub Tender isn't on the list and they get my Gyros business.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 1:49pm
Tzatziki sauce can make/break a gyros, what's theirs like? IMO, don't like the supermayo ones.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Tzatziki sauce can make/break a gyros, what's theirs like? IMO, don't like the supermayo ones.

thick and delicious (not runny like Pete's or Mickey's). I love to put it on my fries too not very healthy but oh so good.

Edited by piehead - 31/August/2009 at 1:53pm
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:07pm
Pete's is runny?   I always went to King & Queens on Roosevelt, but now just Pete's and Poor Boy on 1st & Roosevelt.

I will have to try Sub Tender.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

Pete's is runny?   I always went to King & Queens on Roosevelt, but now just Pete's and Poor Boy on 1st & Roosevelt.I will have to try Sub Tender.

Make sure to get the BeeGee fries. Just also make sure you don't have any social engagements. You'll be oozing for a day or two.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:14pm

Tzatziki sauce can make/break a gyros

I like a bold Tzatziki...some are too rather mild, probably the supermayo you're describing?

(K&Q had my fav before)
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Pete's is runny?   I always went to King & Queens on Roosevelt, but now just Pete's and Poor Boy on 1st & Roosevelt.I will have to try Sub Tender.

Make sure to get the BeeGee fries. Just also make sure you don't have any social engagements. You'll be oozing for a day or two.

Butter & Garlic?  Had 'em!  Clap Dead Clap

This was from Kings & Queens, after it was bought by Nicky's...

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:16pm

Pete's is runny?  

It was the time I tried one there. Didn't care for the texture at all. I like mine to have the consistency of a "dip". Perhaps I'm the odd one here. But that's okay.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:16pm
Poor Boy's has very good food. Like the Greek salad with grilled chicken, tuna sand. They also make a delicious Philly steak but it's iffy, depending on the quality of the meat.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:19pm

Poor Boy's ...
They also make a delicious Philly steak but it's iffy, depending on the quality of the meat.

+1!

Surprisingly good.  Different than the usual Philly, better contained within the sammich. 
You're right on about the meat, but when they're on they're on!

@pie - re: consistency - me too.  I like it thick myself (Shocked). 
I probably never noticed at Pete (Ridgeland/Roosevelt) cuz I'm often too ravenous and swallow it whole.  LOL

Edited by arneharris - 31/August/2009 at 2:23pm
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:22pm
Pete's, too mayo-e, K's&Q's was good, never had Poor's.  It's funny, was just remembering the days when I actually cooked 3 meals a day:))
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:24pm
Pete's and Pete's II are related, right?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:27pm

Pete's and Pete's II are related, right?
Believe so
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:27pm
Your pix of the K&Q's sauce looks like the same consistency of the Sub Tender's sauce. Now I have a taste for a gyro.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Your pix of the K&Q's sauce looks like the same consistency of the Sub Tender's sauce. 
OK, I definitely have to try a Sub Tender gyro now!

Get a free one from Poor Boy tomorrow, and grab some tzatziki from Sub Tender just in case.   LOL  Wink

Edited by arneharris - 31/August/2009 at 2:57pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 3:00pm
That's okay. It will probably be crazy trying to get the freebies.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 3:16pm
I will deliver it.  Money back guarantee.

I wonder how crazy it will be?  I only heard about this on BTF.

Edited by arneharris - 31/August/2009 at 3:17pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 3:35pm
i think very crazy :) they're free at the toll plazas! the truckers alone will fill up the joint.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 3:58pm
I heard about this last week via an email.

If it's anything like the KFC promotion, I want nothing to do with it.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

i think very crazy :) they're free at the toll plazas! the truckers alone will fill up the joint.

Yeah, but they need access to a printer to get their coupon.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 4:23pm

Yeah, but they need access to a printer to get their coupon.

Oh great, one more thing they shouldn't be doing while driving.

I've seen people trying to drive and eat gyros. They get a wide berth.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 4:27pm

y?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 4:51pm
o/t, but on topic for things we like that aren't always good for us:

famous liquors has a sign on their door - big tax hike starts tomorrow (sept 1). buy today!
big hit on hard liquor, more moderate for wine/beer.
they didn't say whose tax it is. hmm.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 5:50pm

y?

KFC wouldn't honor a lot of them.....they sent raincheck type coupons to people that went to the stores.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2009 at 10:32pm
Was craving a gyro on the way home, stopped at Pete's (Ridgeland).

Gyro was fantastic, but the tzatziki was OK.  Not runny, but rather mayo-ey.

Sandwich is worth repeating, though.  Pig
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2009 at 9:37am
i'm sort of amazed so many of you, 1) like gyros 2) are such experts.
impressive :)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2009 at 9:40am
Gyros appreciation started years and years ago....they were the perfect ending to a night of drinking....back in the day.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2009 at 2:07pm
Poor Boys gyros a re very good..personally we always ask for the meat on the grill gives it just the right amount of crisp.
FOCUS !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>