Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elgin Avenue Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elgin Avenue Question
    Posted: 08/September/2009 at 4:51pm
Hi All - my husband and I are looking at a condo in the Elgin Ave/Randolph St area. We don't know much about Forest Park and was curious if anyone had any helfpul thoughts or info on the area?  Thanks in advance.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/September/2009 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by anne76 anne76 wrote:

Hi All - my husband and I are looking at a condo in the Elgin Ave/Randolph St area. We don't know much about Forest Park and was curious if anyone had any helfpul thoughts or info on the area?  Thanks in advance.

Good people, good food, good access to the L. Great village services (they plow the sidewalks in winter). Plenty of small town-ness.

The small town politics can be a bit adversarial, but overall, it's still a great little village. Most residents live here blissfully unaware of the petty battles.

Parking can be a challenge, there's no overnight parking (2am-5am) on village streets. There are many village-owned parking lots but depending on the location, competition for a space can be trying.

The Condo associations in the buildings you're considering should be looked at for structure, rules and financial information.

So if you're looking for a place within walking distance of bars, restaurants, Starbucks that's a quick stroll to the L. You picked the right place. That location also gives you easy access to amenities in Oak Park and River Forest.

You can visit the Forest Park Review website. It's the local weekly paper. Depending upon your interests, there's probably some kind of group in the area. Starting out or empty nesting, a Forest Park condo is a good place to be. The condo market has been a bit sluggish and like everywhere, prices have taken a hit from the economic "corrections". If the price is right, you'll be okay.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
KPO'M View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KPO'M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/September/2009 at 7:43pm
Also be aware the schools are suspect here, particularly the high school. If you are a childless couple or an empty-nester, this may not be an issue, but if you have grand designs for your kids you may want to set a budget for some private schools. Overall, Watcher's analysis is correct. Now is a great time to be a buyer if you can get the credit. Prices are about 25% less than they were about 2 years ago.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/September/2009 at 10:47pm
if you decide to pitch your tent here, hope you won't choose to be blissfully unaware of important directions.
subscribe to the Forest Park Review, they're an excellent, fair read. except when i disagree w/them :)
we have a significant local election in 1 1/2 years which promises to be stirring, in the sense that residents will have a choice to 'stay the course' or 'time for a change .' tune in here for analysis and leads.
also, FP has an utterly archaic, quirky form of govt - the commissioner form of government.
many argue it is the heart of our problems. that whole issue is due for a referendum.
luck.

bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/September/2009 at 2:41am
Not to Mention, Four "4" Blocks away from Oak Park Hospital. IF you ever needed help on the Spot, We have a Great Fire Department, And Welcome to Forest park Forums... BCB..
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/September/2009 at 8:46am

I'm a recent immigrant myself (just over a year) and was not expecting to end up here when beginning the house search, which initially focused mainly on Chicago before branching out to Oak Park then Forest Park.  The access to the L, convenient local shopping and park district have been big plusses for me and mine.  There's also a nice little library and community garden.  It takes approximately 25-30 minutes on the blue line from Harlem to Jackson, if that is a concern.  Also, Elgin / Randolph isn't too far from the Beacon, a sweet little bar with a solid beer selection (I'm a sucker for bars located on corners in residential areas).  I'd send my hypothetical kids to public schools.
anne76 View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/September/2009 at 10:04am
Thanks.  We don't have kids, so schools aren't a concern. We do like the idea of being close to the restaurants/bars. We just want to be sure we choose an area that is safe and has been fairly steady (aka an area consistent or improving, not on a downslide) as we have a dog and would be out and about at night.  I read about a mugging on the street, it seems to be an isolated incident - hopefully - but I'm also aware that generally crime is on the rise and there have been mid-day muggings in downtown Oak Park.
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/September/2009 at 10:11am
I'd say that Forest Park is both safer than Oak Park and smokes it in terms of fun.
If schools are largely out of the equation, I'd pick Forest Park.

I live in neither, equidistant to both, yet gravitate towards Forest Park.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/September/2009 at 9:57pm

Thanks.  We don't have kids, so schools aren't a concern. We do like the idea of being close to the restaurants/bars. We just want to be sure we choose an area that is safe and has been fairly steady (aka an area consistent or improving, not on a downslide) as we have a dog and would be out and about at night.  I read about a mugging on the street, it seems to be an isolated incident - hopefully - but I'm also aware that generally crime is on the rise and there have been mid-day muggings in downtown Oak Park.

I'd say our violent crime is low for an inner ring suburb of Chicago with two L lines. Random crime happens. Our police take serious crime very seriously.

Forest Park is a unique vibe. One person's improvement is another's sure sign of decline. I think stable is a good descriptive. Potential is another one. Once you are here, you'll help us reach it.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
 Post Reply Post Reply