Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Legal Non-conforming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ready, Fire, Aim.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ready, Fire, Aim.
    Posted: 23/September/2009 at 8:23am
another update on our so-called rental woes from the review.

still, after all these years, we have neither defined nor quantified the woe. how can that possibly be?
i can make no sense of this article - the contradictions of our various officials is dizzying.

the Mesa program was developed to ease the eviction of criminals. what is ours? Mess, is a natural.
seems like we're creating a huge bucket to throw an enormous amount of odds/ends crap into. consistency will be impossible w/out definition.
we already have LNC policies that are notorious for inconsistent enforcement and lack of defined goals. 
top that off w/2 commissioners that 'forget' about those laws when it is their property.
and the cherry on top is not one of our five law makers will publicly speak to our present whimsical enforcement practices.

i have a very bad feeling. is this the seed of a re-election stunt?

pie, i look forward to your thoughts. and anyone elses.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 8:34am
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 8:48am
Sure does sound like nobody has done anything about any of the issues. Let's hope our highly compensated Village Administrator does take the bull by the horns.

The village doesn't even do anything when you alert them of illegal units. I've told them of more than one or two and still people live in them. With all the work going on in town on rehabs and what not, and the inefficiencies of our building department (Citizen 2's comments on the Tuscan Lofts project for an example), etc. etc., it's amazing anything is done correctly.....if it in fact is!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 9:05am

the editorial reads like so many others from 10-12 years ago. at that time tom murphy was the 'grab the bull by the horns' guy, full of practical ideas and enthusiasm.

he ditched us when he realized the program/policy creators had no intention of achieving stated goals.
fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on us. 

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 1:10pm
I just love this:

"Walsh, a St. Charles resident, said he was not familiar with the proposed program that would further regulate rental properties, but indicated he may be open to something that helps him better manage his building. He bought the building in 1987 and lived there for about eight years. That he no longer lives in the community makes it more difficult to run it well, he said. Walsh said he's had problems with other tenants, too.

"I've got a bunch of scumbags that are working the system and that's partially my fault for not screening properly," Walsh said. "I could use some help with that."

He no longer lives in the community and it makes it difficult to run it well......had problems with other tenants....bunch of scumbags.....could use help.........

Excuse me but it's his responsibility as an owner to solve the problem of running it or sell.   Problem tenants....well with no background check, lease, or security deposit. Bunch of scumbags; well it appears he's running a slum building anyways (illegal basement apartment; can't tell me he didn't realize that). No surprises here.

Interesting to note that he is claiming a homeowner's exemption on a property in Oak Park. So does he live in St. Charles or just across the boder in Oak Park?????

Edited by piehead - 23/September/2009 at 1:17pm
itsme View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 1:47pm
Why can't landlords figure out that if they keep their properties clean, updated and legal that they can charge more rent and weed out the "scumbags"?  It's not rocket science.  Don't complain what kind of renters you get if you illegally rent out a basement apartment or won't fix it up.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 2:09pm
you know, i see alot of properties in my biz and not everyone keeps their homes to my standards, or most folks standards. let me assure you, they are by no means only rental props.

the landlord in the story sounded either naive or ignorant, but let's avoid that posterboy, cause you could use videoguy, backman or me as posterpeople for the opposite situation. 

what does the government wish to achieve w/this initiative? 
because it is is a significant government intervention, it will cost us money and it needs to be fair and legal.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 2:24pm
another thought on the big bucket, why is a cop the lead?
if we stick w/the mesa program, it makes sense - to help evict criminals who are renters.

but why is a cop necessary to teach lease writing, credit checks and work history?
why is a cop being hired to do the work of the building dept, i.e. enforcing safety code?
why a cop hired to teach property maintenance?
where are we going here?

why don't we provide the last two 'services' to single family home owners, too? and for the greater good, mandate it.

Edited by citizen - 23/September/2009 at 2:27pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 2:34pm
The whole initiative sounds poorly planned (if at all). Another typical knee jerk plan. Kind of like the village purchasing 1000 Beloit for the south side satellite center. That worked out rather well, didn't it????????????????

I'm gonna guess our new Village Administrator won't know what to do either.

I agree, citizen, not sure why a cop is heading this up. What do they know about the housing stock?

Edited by piehead - 23/September/2009 at 2:38pm
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 2:38pm
The Popelka administration held a "landlord summit" around 1986,87. I believe they contacted owners based on county real estate records.

Big surprise! All of the Ma & Pa owners showed up while the corporations and the bulk of the out-of-town owners did not.

The administration harped about screening tenants and maintaining the properties but it was all preaching to the choir. At one point they suggested we all do tenant spot checks and head counts but even the least knowledgeable knew that was illegal and still is.

I'll need to study the aspects of this program as they become available but I am always leery of new tools for the toolbox.

To be sure, there are landlords that are not in lock-step with the current administration.

Edited by backman - 23/September/2009 at 9:03pm
backman
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 8:48pm
backman, thanks for the popelka tip.
so, FP officials have tackled the landlord/rental issue in the late '80s, the late 90's and now, the late oughts.
i'll do the research on the popelka program and report back, but i'm guessing - 20 years later, mind you - that our village has still not done the WORK necessary to provide evidence of 'the problem.'
10 years ago, all press conferences, all public statements were only anecdotal, along those well traveled ditches of, 'some people think' and 'one building did not...' and 'many forest parkers believe.'
today's news was no different and we've got the same players. (insert joke here)

we are about to make a longtime commitment of a lot of money, scarce resources and emotional energy at a solution w/no defined problem.
if you just don't like renters or rental properties, may i suggest you made a poor choice purchasing in FP, as the housing stock hasn't changed for a very long time - except for more condos.

what are the problems? evidence, please.
  • what # and % of FP is rental property? are you including the newly rented sf homes and condos?
  • what # and % of crime is committed by fp renters v fp sf owners?
  • what # and % of crime in owner occupied rental v non-owner occupied rental v sf owner occupied home?
  • what kinds of crime - murder, domestic violence, dope smokers? with #s.
  • what type of rental units do the perps live in? size of bldg, size of unit, rent, location, etc.
  • don't most leases already have a provision for eviction if tenant has committed a crime? how is your lease better?
  • do you believe landlords have never been told that all properties need maintenance, or are there other reasons for neglect?
  • how do you define 'neglect' or 'needs maintenance?' 
  • are there more rundown rental properties than sf properties? are you observing the interior or the exterior of the home?
  • don't you think you should define 'illegal apartments?' many of them were legal when they passed village inspection and were allowed to sell. are they now 'illegal' or just LNC?
  • is it also illegal for sf homes to have basement bedrooms w/no proper egress or low freaking ceilings? don't you care about those people/children? aren't you in the safety business?
  • etc, etc, etc.

in these tough times, DO NOT even think of staging another expensive dog and pony show. if you have no money or resources to answer the above very basic questions, don't waste our $$ on another non-solution. put that cop back on the street.

p.s. thanks for all the pm's/info.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 9:24pm
All great questions citizen. Yes, the village needs to answer those first before putting a person in charge of a program with no facts.

Excellent questions. You should forward your list to Ryan or whoever is supposed to implement this program.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/September/2009 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

All great questions citizen. Yes, the village needs to answer those first before putting a person in charge of a program with no facts.

Excellent questions. You should forward your list to Ryan or whoever is supposed to implement this program.
Letter to Ed.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2009 at 3:18pm
there are significant changes happening at village hall and i wonder if it is time for a town village hall meeting. an honest opp for elected officials to explain their vision and for citizens to be involved in a healthy Q & A.
village hall has gone casual w/the chief administrator position, word is they will not fill the boyle position and are reworking the whole dept, and they are anticipating hiring a police officer to target renter criminals and pick up the rightful duties of the building dept. 

each of these changes, in themselves, are a big deal, but as they are blending and effecting each other i would like to hear all about it.
certainly, the residents are entitled to the rationale behind such large reorganizations. right?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2009 at 3:25pm
sorry citizen, it's not close enough to election time for them to waste their time telling us stuff.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2009 at 4:07pm

sorry citizen, it's not close enough to election time for them to waste their time telling us stuff.
LOL. you're cynical.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2009 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

LOL. you're cynical.

So you think they will have a forum to welcome us all and tell us what's going on? Okay
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2009 at 4:55pm

LOL. you're cynical.

So you think they will have a forum to welcome us all and tell us what's going on? Okay

Sure, just sign in, show id and leave a DNA sample... Welcome!

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2009 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

LOL. you're cynical.

Sure, just sign in, show id and leave a DNA sample... Welcome!
LOL. you're harsh.

the mayor has always liked me best, so i think he'll steal my idea as his own.
he just won't provide chairs for you guys.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/September/2009 at 6:28pm
"On a handshake, without a lease agreement, a background check or even a security deposit..." admits the landlord. and then the bldg dept cites him for code violations.
and then he calls his tenant a 'scumbucket.'

i think our PD should stick w/fighting crime. there is no cure for such stupidity.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2009 at 7:40pm
easy to get waylaid in the archives :)

1987 Primary: present commish popelka ran unopposed for mayor w/12 candidates for commish.
the results:

THE WINNERS

FOR MAYOR

Lorraine Popelka (unopposed) 1958

FOR VILLAGE COUNCIL

(8 ELIGIBLE FOR GENERAL ELECTION)

Gerald Jacknow 1284

Daniel Watts 1008

Michael Lyons 948

Theresa" Giglio 902

Maureen Booth 875

Kenneth Stange 838

Anthony Pecoraro . 640

John Condon 572

LOSERS

JackMuffley 362

William Trezise 301

Charles Kline 281

Walter Migon 204
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2009 at 7:52pm

easy to get waylaid in the archives

And the winners in the General Election were:

Jacknow
Watts
Booth
Stange

This was the council that gave us the utility tax. (Watts)
And recycling (Booth)

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/September/2009 at 8:15pm
hey, crime stats for 1986. nothing noted to create a rental ruckus.
april 8, 1987 issue, FPR

Crime drops 15% in '86—reporting change helps

By MARY MATEER

Crime statistics just back from the State Police in Springfield indicate that Forest Park crime dropped 15.8 percent between 1985 and 1986, but Officer Richard Brhel, the police department's statistician and computer expert, said at least part of that decrease reflects better reporting standards and technological improvements within the department.

The State Police, from monthly reports submitted by the police department, calculated

hat 1,267 "countable" crimes took place in Forest Park during 1986, including attempted crimes. That compares to 1,505 in 1985,1,797 in 1984 and 1,315 in 1983. But Brhel said the department was double-classifying incidents in it's reporting procedures during 1984 and pan of 1985, which resulted in artificially inflated crime statistics. There were no homocides in Forest Park last year, compared to one in 1985 and one in 1984, but the number of criminal sexual assaults (formerly rape), was up from one in 1985 to eight last year. Brhel said he believes there aren't more incidents of sexual assault in the community, but that more people are coming forward and reporting the crime....

Brhel said those crimes show up in the statistics as offenses against juveniles, and not in the criminal sexual assault classification. The number of robberies was up from 55 in 1985 to' 64 last year, but the number of aggravated assaults and batteries (combined) totaled only 19 last year, compared to 55 the year before.

The largest increase in crime was the number of burglaries and attempted burglaries, especially to autos. There were 253 burglaries in 1985 compared to a total of 339 burglaries last year. That included 155 attempts and burglaries of motor vehicles, 156 home/apartment burglaries and 28 attempted home burglaries. Brhel said stereos and radar detectors were stolen in most of the auto burglaries. He said the increase reflects a widespread problem in the entire suburban area.

There were 606 general (and attempted) thefts last year compared to 949 in 1985; 185 motor vehicle thefts and 32 attempted motor vehicle thefts last year compared to 183 in 1985; and 14 arsons and attempted arsons compared to five in 1985.... 

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2009 at 9:33am

easy to get waylaid in the archives

And the winners in the General Election were:

Jacknow
Watts
Booth
Stange

This was the council that gave us the utility tax. (Watts)
And recycling (Booth)
who is watts? did he move to RF?
want to explain the 'utility tax?' i believe this is still a burr in your/our saddle.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2009 at 10:04am

want to explain the 'utility tax?' i believe this is still a burr in your/our saddle.

Not sure where Dan is living now. Probably RF. May still own his property on Ferdinand.

The utility tax was a 5% tax on Gas, Electric, Phone service and Cable.
It's a burr only because it was a new, automatic, additional revenue source that was NOT approved by the voters and was not used to abate property taxes which rose as well.

It was monopoly money. Ushered in a spending spree and distanced accountability that has returned little tangible benefit to taxpayers.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2009 at 11:08am
Dan is definitely in RF.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/September/2009 at 2:44pm
my, this is quaint :)
10/7/87 Review

" The council changed a meeting date from December 14 to December 7 because of a clash in Popelka's schedule, and set dates for three months of executive sessions. Commissioners were questioned about the closed meetings by a member of the audience, and Popelka said that only departmental business is discussed by the council in private."
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/September/2009 at 5:29am

Not sure where Dan is living now. Probably RF. May still own his property on Ferdinand.

The utility tax was a 5% tax on Gas, Electric, Phone service and Cable.
It's a burr only because it was a new, automatic, additional revenue source that was NOT approved by the voters and was not used to abate property taxes which rose as well.

It was monopoly money. Ushered in a spending spree and distanced accountability that has returned little tangible benefit to taxpayers.

I hate to THINK I know this Better, BUT from my understanding, The Tax was to Our water Bill ONLY AND Mayor P Needed this to Help Get us out of the RED..

Which it Did, The Tax Was only going to be there Til we went from Red to Black, However Current Mayor Calderone Said Something Close to It's easy to Add a Tax But Had to Remove it, So They" The Village" Would use the tax for Other Items..

Correct me If I'm Wrong?.. BCB...
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/September/2009 at 7:01am
Originally posted by bcbandit bcbandit wrote:

I hate to THINK I know this Better, BUT from my understanding, The Tax was to Our water Bill ONLY AND Mayor P Needed this to Help Get us out of the RED.. Which it Did, The Tax Was only going to be there Til we went from Red to Black, However Current Mayor Calderone Said Something Close to It's easy to Add a Tax But Had to Remove it, So They" The Village" Would use the tax for Other Items.. Correct me If I'm Wrong?.. BCB...

Not near as much as I would hate it.<G> The water bill thing was a different scam during Mayor P's first term. That's when the village added a $10 garbage charge to each water bill. (paid quarterly = $40 per year per household x ~5000 households = ~$200,000)

The utility tax was far more lucrative bringing in several million new dollars every year. It was advertised as a "more fair tax" than property taxes since it was a user tax paid by all consumers of utilities.

The tax was defended as needed, to offset a "one-time" deficit of $700,000, attributed in part to an unforeseen 150% spike to our health insurance costs. And because "all the other communities were doing it"...

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/September/2009 at 12:18pm
may 10, 1987 review, p.9

Middle School news:
HVAC still not working properly and 3 cracks in gym floor on 2 year old bldg.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>