Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Forest Park Garden Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter approaching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter approaching
    Posted: 04/October/2009 at 4:21pm
Does anybody else winter over plants?

What started as just as couple has become a laundry room greenhouse.
These next few weeks will be chaos...

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2009 at 7:48pm
Did it one year. That was enough for me.
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 8:19pm
How about roses...do folks find that covering them with cones does the trick?

I used to have great success just piling leaves around the base, but the last two harsh winters wreaked havoc on mine.

I've never brought plants inside for the winter, but I do not have anything potted...(do you unearth certain plants for the winter?)
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

How about roses...do folks find that covering them with cones does the trick?I used to have great success just piling leaves around the base, but the last two harsh winters wreaked havoc on mine.I've never brought plants inside for the winter, but I do not have anything potted...(do you unearth certain plants for the winter?)

Mostly geraniums in pots, ivy and greenery in hanging baskets,
we've taken calladiums and coleus out of the ground into pots.

Last year there were about 15 containers. This year's "crop" looks bigger still. 4 fluorescent shoplights with grow bulbs on a timer. The plant shelves line the east and south wall of the laundry room. the hanging baskets hang from a length of pipe attached to the ceiling.

Winter is fairly low maintenance, but I'll admit that the green does help battle the winter blahs.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2011 at 11:03am
hahahahahahahahahaha to the thread title.
spring is just around the corner so: http://web.extension.illinois.edu/state/hort.html
this year i have a ready/waiting blank canvas so am completely overwhelmed, which is not a bad thing :)

and news from our community garden folks?

Post Reply Post Reply