Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Home Repair and Improvement
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paging Paul W.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paging Paul W.
    Posted: 05/October/2009 at 11:07am
Dude, it's been way too long since you've updated us on your projects.

When last you graced us, you were finishing up your upstairs renovation project. Does the space live as good as it looked in the pics?

I will try to move the relevant topics into this space in hopes of an oasis from the hue and cry of the ideological axe-grindings.

Discussions of stuff/projects that have a visible payoff in terms of quality of life are an affirming and welcome respite.

What say you?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 1:10pm
non-do it yourself projects welcome?
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 1:13pm
I literally have the painter working upstairs on my second floor, filling all the holes, priming and painting all the trim and then the walls. The carpet is in and will be installed just after that.

A few pics:

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 1:20pm
Is that a high tech air conditioning unit in the last picture? Looks very Euro.

Is the wooden "casket" for non-complying officials of FP government Just kidding.
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 1:29pm

I have radiators in my house.....well, no longer any of them on the second floor, had electric heat in my bedroom (oil filled radiators, super nice, super quiet). I replaced the radiator in my daughter's bedroom with electric (2)....so each room has it's own thermostat/zone.

Since I don't have ductwork, I have been installing "mini-split" ac units, I have three on my first floor and now two on the second floor. The condensing units are on the roof. After I installed them, you couldn't even hear them when 5 feet away on the roof. The inside units are super quiet and cool the room in absolutely no time. And it's all zoned.

It's nice, if I'm cooking in the kitchen, I can just turn the kitchen unit on and it removes the heat. When it got super hot this summer (all of 3 or 4 days), I run 2-4 units in the rooms I'm in, they cool and dehumidify the house almost instantly. The units on the second floor are 9000 BTU each, and are SEER 13, about 750 watts total when the compressor is running, the indoor unit is something like 45 watts!
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

I have radiators in my house.....well, no longer any of them on the second floor, had electric heat in my bedroom (oil filled radiators, super nice, super quiet). I replaced the radiator in my daughter's bedroom with electric (2)....so each room has it's own thermostat/zone.

Since I don't have ductwork, I have been installing "mini-split" ac units, I have three on my first floor and now two on the second floor. The condensing units are on the roof. After I installed them, you couldn't even hear them when 5 feet away on the roof. The inside units are super quiet and cool the room in absolutely no time. And it's all zoned.

It's nice, if I'm cooking in the kitchen, I can just turn the kitchen unit on and it removes the heat. When it got super hot this summer (all of 3 or 4 days), I run 2-4 units in the rooms I'm in, they cool and dehumidify the house almost instantly. The units on the second floor are 9000 BTU each, and are SEER 13, about 750 watts total when the compressor is running, the indoor unit is something like 45 watts!

Are those LG units? They're slightly obtrusive, but as long as they function, they aren't butt ugly either.

Clean, quiet and efficient? I can put up with a little clash with the decor. Were you thinking about covering them at all? Something akin to your radiator covers? Perhaps with some ambient lighting built in?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 1:37pm
Question on the oi filled radiators....where did you get them? I'm thinking of getting some of those. Wondering on the initial $$? Efficient to run?

It's getting there Paul W!!!
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Are those LG units? They're slightly obtrusive, but as long as they function, they aren't butt ugly either.

Clean, quiet and efficient? I can put up with a little clash with the decor. Were you thinking about covering them at all? Something akin to your radiator covers? Perhaps with some ambient lighting built in?

They are not LG units, but units from ebay. They are all made at the same factory, but nameplated differently. These are not inverter units, but just an on/off compressor cycle. LG units are about $1800 for a 9K unit, these are about $650 shipped. They are really not intrustive whatsoever and really work a lot better than central AC IMO for my application.

Here is the one in my bedroom:

LG makes big flat square ones also that you can put a piece of art in.

I have (2) 12000 BTU units for my kitchen/eating are (was back bedroom, the wall was removed) and living room which is 27' x 13'. I have a 9K unit in my office which is 14' x 17'.

They kick ass and make almost no noise. You can put them on interior walls as I have done....but that's difficult. When it's on an exterior wall, you drill a 2.5" opening and everything passes through that.

Edited by PaulW - 05/October/2009 at 1:56pm
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Question on the oi filled radiators....where did you get them? I'm thinking of getting some of those. Wondering on the initial $$? Efficient to run?

It's getting there Paul W!!!

I have the hydronic heaters....which are not actually oil filled, but water/glycol filled. They run off a dedicated 240 VAC circuit and I have an electronic thermostat that controls them, that switches line voltage.

They are about $170each for the ones I got which are 48".

Edited by PaulW - 05/October/2009 at 2:01pm
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 5:01pm
Very nice, PaulW. 
I agree with the idea of split units, particularly for dormers.
Do you have lines running somewhere for condensation?

Also, Del Alpe' or MarconiTongue
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2009 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

Very nice, PaulW. 
I agree with the idea of split units, particularly for dormers.
Do you have lines running somewhere for condensation?

Also, Del Alpe' or MarconiTongue

Yep, you have to have refrigeration lines (2), electrical wires (6) which connect to the outdoor unit and a condensate drain. I piped these into a trap that leads into a drain.
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2009 at 11:48am
Here is a link to the finished pictures:

Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2009 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

Here is a link to the finished pictures:

I love the smell of drywall dust and primer in the morning! It smells like... renovation!
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

-James Madison
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2009 at 1:31pm
Paul, I love the sconces on either side of the mirror in the hall.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
 Post Reply Post Reply