Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Hot Topics, Scandals, Political Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harvard Ave-finished concrete????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harvard Ave-finished concrete????
    Posted: 06/October/2009 at 6:19pm
So is this the finished concrete job we're getting? Is anyone inspecting this pour?????

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2009 at 6:21pm
Or this?

Should we see all this open space for water to collect in and expand and break the concrete?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2009 at 6:23pm
Lord, I hope no one blind walks down Harvard....it's a mighty big drop!
At least 6' down.
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2009 at 6:58pm
I've heard of pre-stressed concrete and pre-formed concrete. Never heard of pre-cracked concrete before this.

Does it have some purpose I'm unable to fathom?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

-James Madison
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2009 at 7:50pm
That's what I'd like to know. Who's checking on the work by this "crew"?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2009 at 7:51pm
Wanna bet on Jackson by the Mayor's house he gets a full courtesy curb in front of his home....just like when he lived on Hannah.
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2009 at 8:53pm
They'll probably touch up the bad spots with some putty & spackle afterwards. Since we're using low-bid bottom of the barrel contractors, you don't really expect high quality work do you????

Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2009 at 9:53pm
So besides it seeming to be a bad idea (losing parking...can't imagine it makes it easier to snow plow), we are going to have to replace it in 3 years. Great, just F'ing great.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2009 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by administrator administrator wrote:

Since we're using low-bid bottom of the barrel contractors, you don't really expect high quality work do you????
is that true? do we always take the lowest bid???
can't professionally comment on the concrete work, but the crack in the curve does not look planned :)
the shabby chic look? hopefully it is just ugly, not a structural fault.

and by the way, i don't like the work we've recently done in the alleys. no drainage, just concrete on top of whatever.
i know doing it the right way is expensive, but we should try to budget for that every 100 years or so.
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2009 at 8:31am
What are you expecting concrete to be poured, forms removed, 100% inspection and your acceptance criteria is zero porosity?

It's just a curb. It doesn't carry any load except the occasional person walking on it or a lawn mower, or maybe a car tire once in a while. This is acceptable and normal.

I don't get why everyone has to complain, complain, complain on this board in every post they make.

In other news, for some reason I thought the curbs were going to be bump outs like we have on Marengo/Elgin on the North side of town, but I guess there will be islands instead.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2009 at 8:41am
i understood bumpouts for most of harvard and islands at either end (harlem & des plaines.)
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2009 at 9:15am
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

What are you expecting concrete to be poured, forms removed, 100% inspection and your acceptance criteria is zero porosity?

It's just a curb. It doesn't carry any load except the occasional person walking on it or a lawn mower, or maybe a car tire once in a while. This is acceptable and normal.

I don't get why everyone has to complain, complain, complain on this board in every post they make.

In other news, for some reason I thought the curbs were going to be bump outs like we have on Marengo/Elgin on the North side of town, but I guess there will be islands instead.

The complain thing does get old, but consider the frustration. 10 years of one-way conversations exacts a toll.

There's a reason you do as much of the work on your projects yourself, closely monitor the work you hire out, and demand work from subs that meets your standards.

You understand "finished product", and no doubt have seen unacceptable shortcuts and imperfections that can be disguised by a nice paint job.
Imagine your frustration if you HAD to lower your standards.

With the Harvard/Jackson projects about to hit hard deadlines, there will be daily punch lists and an incentive for shortcuts and cosmetics.
The flurry and frenzy will need close inspections to assure quality.
Good enough shouldn't be the standard.

The constrictor trend in streetscaping accomplishes an aesthetic at the expense of simplicity. It's a passive way to influence driving habits.
Like Cul-de-sacs and other modern designs in planning, they are mostly facade.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2009 at 9:22am

What are you expecting concrete to be poured, forms removed, 100% inspection and your acceptance criteria is zero porosity?

So we should just settle? Is that what you've done? I doubt it. I should just shut up and take my seat? Why?

So when the brand new curbs start to crumble or fall apart the first time the salt trucks come through the village this winter, I assume you'll be the one paying for the repairs?

So you'd accept this job at your house?

I think we deserve better.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2009 at 10:05am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

What are you expecting concrete to be poured, forms removed, 100% inspection and your acceptance criteria is zero porosity?

10 years of one-way conversations exacts a toll.
this.
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2009 at 10:24am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

So we should just settle? Is that what you've done? I doubt it. I should just shut up and take my seat? Why?

So when the brand new curbs start to crumble or fall apart the first time the salt trucks come through the village this winter, I assume you'll be the one paying for the repairs?

So you'd accept this job at your house?

I think we deserve better.

Pie-

If the back side of a curb at my house looked like that after removing the form, I would not be too woried. If it's cracked from the front side, yes, I would be worried. It's not like salt is going to get into the concrete, and cause frost heaves. It's above ground, and it's either frozen or it's not. It's not like when a road has cracks and gets water in it and the temperature swings hugely. When was the last time you saw crumbling curbs? They are about 10x more robust as compared to streets.

I'm with you on quality.....but it's just a curb. You know I live right where the pictures are....I actually thought the work on the curbs looked good on my recent walks over to Ed's.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2009 at 10:52am
I realize it's just a curb. But I guess I don't trust the contractor or the paid consultant overseeing the project. I don't buy the initial reasons why the job was stopped (the valve issue)....as told to us by Burke. They've also busted the water main, busted a gas line so I'm just not confident that what they are doing is correct.

I also realize it's right next to where you reside. I can't believe the house to your north is STILL on the market!!!!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2009 at 11:32am

meh.
and your statement is way too broad, and a wee bit exagerated.
folks are mostly looking for info and asking questions. even within this thread.
it was helpful that you explained about how concrete/curbs work. not definitive, but it helps.

think of FPF as a lively newspaper. some folks like the news, others favor sports, some, like you, seem to prefer jackie schultz's column.
it works. w/the kicker, of course, that our Village doesn't dialogue.
 Post Reply Post Reply