Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > F O O D related discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: G.E.M. and Shuckin' Grill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: G.E.M. and Shuckin' Grill
    Posted: 20/October/2009 at 3:12pm

First off, let me preface this by the fact that this is a review of the restaurants, not the owner, not the property or anything else. There are other topics for that.

G.E.M

When my cleaning lady comes to the house every other week, I try to get out of the house. Today was no different as I made a trek by car to Madison Street to get my dry cleaning and some lunch. It was about 1:15. Where do I go? My little Thai place on Madison? The old standby, Louie's? or somewhere else.

I decided to see if the deli, G.E.M. was open. This is attached to the Shukin' Grill. The door was open...I went in, nobody but the owner's mother was there. She called the help, and I ordered a cup of duck gumbo and a shrimp po boy.

The gumbo was immediately put in a stainless steel container while I was at the counter before I sat down. Plastic silverware on the side is what you use. The taste of the gumbo: FANTASTIC. I love to make gumbo myself, and this is a little different than mine, but really, really good.

The shrimp po boy came out in about 5 minutes, was on a great piece of bread, four fried shrimp, cherry tomatoes cut in half, hearty pickles, field greens and a great cajun type mayo. I ordered the small portion and it was perfect for lunch with the soup!

Total out the door: $5 for the gumbo, $4.50 for the sandwich, a total of $10. It was fantastic and I will return again to try the panini's, salads, and other items.

Shuckin' Grill

My wife and I went to the Shuckin' Grill a few weeks ago on a Thursday night as I recall. The place is not big by any means, and it was really nice that almost all the tables and bar were full. We ordered a few glasses of white and red wine, and three food items.

They were all fantastic. I believe the proprietor cook them himself, as we know him. One was the baked  goat cheese ($9), which was good. We then had two succulent dishes, the Creole Blackened Ribeye ($12) and the Creole Carbonara ($10). OMG, those two were out of this world!

They were not something you would eat every day, they are relatively high in fat, but the portions were great, not too big, and it was nice to share with my wife.

All in all, our bill was less than $50 before tip with our wine. I have to say, it was outstanding food, an incredible value also! And I'm hard to please!

PaulW recommended. 
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2009 at 3:26pm
Similar experiences to Paul W. with the food at GEM and Shuckin'.

Then again, I didn't go their to buy a condo or rent space.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

-James Madison
selgin View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote selgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2009 at 10:52pm
I don't care how good the food is, after seeing what the proprietor has put the tenants of that building through, I'll never set foot in that place.  I encourage all to continue the boycott of any Mariani owned establishment.
http://www.forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=38&ArticleID=4434&TM=85990.57

Edited by selgin - 20/October/2009 at 10:53pm
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2009 at 11:42pm
After watching the videos, I fear any food items coming from that wet, moldy joint.
I know where they get their water.  Vomit

Yeah, right.  You'll eat anything you fuming pig.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2009 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by selgin selgin wrote:

I don't care how good the food is, after seeing what the proprietor has put the tenants of that building through, I'll never set foot in that place.  I encourage all to continue the boycott of any Mariani owned establishment.
http://www.forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=38&ArticleID=4434&TM=85990.57
ditto.
and great thanks for saying it.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2009 at 8:35am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

ditto.

I agree as well. Sorry to rain on your positive review PaulW.
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2009 at 8:38am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

ditto.

I agree as well. Sorry to rain on your positive review PaulW.

Hey, I understand, the internet is for bitchin', not posting positive things. You guys should just go and stand out front of the place with protest signs.

I'll keep eating there.

I figured this is the way the post would go.

Edited by PaulW - 21/October/2009 at 8:41am
FP Property Owner View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP Property Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2009 at 9:12am

paul, i don't think the problem is your positive review of marani's food, but your complete denial of serious problems in the development.

Paul,

Please be aware that only three plumbing inspections were done by the village on the building in the past 4.5 years. The State plumbing inspector came out a couple times but did the inspections after the fact and the walls were closed up and monies paid to 3rd parties so that a positive state report was made. I wouldn't trust the water in the building as being portable in anyway shape or form. The bead store has had a water service for the drinking water the past two years. What are you drinking or your food being prepared in when you go into the restaurant?   I am sure it is not sanitary?
FP Property Owner
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2009 at 9:22am
What everybody doesn't get is that there is another thread covering this issue. Read my first sentence.

I think we should let this really go off topic and throw some other goverment slanders in here, talk about the mayor, VC, etc, etc.

Can I mod please delete this post and I will refrain from posting something postive. I'm sure if I posted a review on Louie's Grill, somebody would turn it into something negative and off topic.

PaulW off, back to lurking again.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2009 at 9:25am
Oh no, I love Louie's Grill. Nothing like a grilled cheese sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy if you have a hangover. And I just love Mrs. Louie. She's a stitch.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2009 at 9:45am
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

What everybody doesn't get is that there is another thread covering this issue. Read my first sentence.

I think we should let this really go off topic and throw some other goverment slanders in here, talk about the mayor, VC, etc, etc.

Can I mod please delete this post and I will refrain from posting something postive. I'm sure if I posted a review on Louie's Grill, somebody would turn it into something negative and off topic.

A sticky wicket eh? Sort of like defending District 209 because PMSA has posted better scores? It ain't all roses, but thanks for giving us a glimpse of your priorities and social conscience.

What's going on in that building is wrong, but it's not all wrong. As a business owner, Robert is in the same boat (handy considering) as the rest of the occupants regarding G.E.M. and Shuckin' Grill. As the developer of the property he has obligations. As the GC on the project, he has responsibilities. Given his track record, something else has obviously inserted itself in the ongoing nightmare...

Hmmm, what could that possibly be?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
FP Property Owner View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP Property Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2009 at 10:02am
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

Paul, I think if you posted for louie's grill it would go something like this. 95% clean, 80% modern, 110% good value, 110% good staff, 100% consistency. Any day of the week you go there you know what you are going to get and you get it. I don't think you can at all make any connection to G.E.M. Louie's has been and is a consistent safe place to eat!!!
FP Property Owner
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2009 at 10:51am
PaulW -  You certainly picked a great time to talk positive about a location that's presently at the center of negative publicity (not just on Forest Park Forums)! LOL 
But please, continue to post.  Your work at home is inspiring, and you don't have to get caught up in arguing after posting your opinion

From those in the know (mostly those who live in Forest Park), we're seeing an outpouring of empathy.  Yet, the problems lie mostly with those who live or rent space there.  Like I mentioned in another thread, non-residents do not GAF about boycotts.  All they care about is good product/food/service.

Case in point on Berwyn Talk Forums:
Gaetano's old restaurant - La Piazza, in this same building- got glowing reviews.
La Piazza

Sotto at La Piazza, good tunes (and food) in Forest Park

Gaetano, just left of center in terms of recent pub, has gotten glowing reviews at his present location.
"La Piazza" closed; "Gaetano's" open (Forest Park)

I can understand and empathize, but watcher nailed it in that Marani's in the same boat as everyone else in that location as a business owner.  IMHO the push has to be from other angles and for success, not failure in FP. 

Edited by arneharris - 21/October/2009 at 12:27pm
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2009 at 11:04pm
@paulw
i've given it 24 hours, but i still don't get it.

i've just gone thru the jackson/harvard thread in Q of Life, for instance.
post by post the thread evolves: plenty of sceptical posts, mostly valid questions, some answers. some of those answers were provided by you and folks were grateful.
it's a normal human conversation.

would you like to put a case together to support that everyone is complaining, bitching and slandering? and please compare to other media.
go on, put an analysis together. then incorporate a healthy, necessary scepticism of govt, along w/a poor track record of our govt in particular.

not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

Edited by citizen - 22/October/2009 at 5:41am
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 8:56am
Why can't PaulW's comments be accepted as initially posted, along with his disclaimer?

"First off, let me preface this by the fact that this is a review of the restaurants, not the owner, not the property or anything else. There are other topics for that."
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 9:01am
Originally posted by logic logic wrote:

Why can't PaulW's comments be accepted as initially posted, along with his disclaimer?

"First off, let me preface this by the fact that this is a review of the restaurants, not the owner, not the property or anything else. There are other topics for that."
not sure what you mean by 'accepted.' i'm responding to his posts - in which he brought up some fundamental FPF/internet issues.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 9:20am
Maybe b/c posters couldn't control themselves enough to respect his intent, which in my understanding, was simply restaurant reviews and possibly wanting to report SOMETHING nice:)

Edited by logic - 22/October/2009 at 9:25am
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 9:33am

Maybe b/c posters couldn't control themselves enough to respect his intent, which in my understanding were simply restaurant reviews and possibly wanting to report SOMETHING nice:)

Maybe because posters don't have your ease of separating people and their actions?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 9:50am

to respect his intent, which in my understanding, was simply restaurant reviews
c'mon. LOL

the marani bldg has front page news both here and in the Review for months: lawsuits flying, boyle hush money, youtubes of mass destruction, public land given away, boycotts, and more.

can i suggest that just maybe paulw was posting more than just a 'restaurant review?'
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 9:51am
Logic, not quite sure what his intent was. He was well aware of the threads on here about Marani and posting a flowery positive review of Marani's restaurant is akin to putting a great big finger in the wound. Of course, this is just my opinion; I could be wrong.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 10:17am
Are you inferring PaulW was motivated by more than just good food at a fair price?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 10:28am

Are you inferring PaulW was motivated by more than just good food at a fair price?

Are you inferring that he wasn't?

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 10:38am

no, paulw was :)
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 11:15am
Have been on the receiving end, will take PaulW's posts at face value. What a suspicious lot:) mmmmmm-mmmm-mmmm

Edited by logic - 22/October/2009 at 11:16am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 11:27am

mmmmmm-mmmm-mmmm
what is that ?
first i thought it was the yummy sound but probably not, even tho we're 'only' talking about good food at great prices :)
is it more a tsk-tsk-tsk?
DancerMom View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DancerMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 11:37am
I agree w/Logi in that  he was just posting his review of the 2 restaurants - I've often wondered about how the food and prices were at these places.  It is up to me to decide if I want to try them out or "boycott".  Everyone else is trying to stir the pot up. 
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 11:40am

...even tho we're 'only' talking about good food at great prices :)
No, that would be PaulW. The more I think about it, haven't ever read a post by him that wasn't straight forward in content or intent.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 12:10pm
synchronicity.
logic View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Maybe because posters don't have your ease of separating people and their actions?
" You accept certain unlovely things about yourself and manage to live with them. The atonement for such an acceptance is that you make allowances for others - that you cleanse yourself of the sin of self-righteousness."--Hoffer
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2009 at 12:26pm

You accept certain unlovely things about yourself
and manage to live with them. The atonement for such an acceptance is
that you make allowances for others - that you cleanse yourself of the
sin of self-righteousness."--Hoffer

"Please tell the man I didn't kill anyone. I was just trying to have me some fun." -Prine

Edited by watcher - 22/October/2009 at 12:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>