Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > Home Repair and Improvement
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other half built a new workbench

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other half built a new workbench
    Posted: 12/December/2009 at 12:52pm
except after he was done I went to do something there and had an extreme feeling of vertigo while standing in front of it....the top is straight but the backboard is crooked. He didn't believe me til he went in front of it and he got the same sensation. Has to take a board off to re-do.

Funny stuff. I told him he should sell it to a place in the Wis Dells
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2009 at 1:39pm
The crookedness doesn't bother me however two strap wrenches, two hand exercisers and an anvil. That has my curiosity.
backman
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2009 at 1:51pm
Believe me, if you stand in front of it, it makes you queasy.

His tools are on the other side of the room. The peg board holds some miscellaneous stuff. I should take some pictures of that work room...it came with the house....there are Playboy centerfolds up on the walls from the 60's. We didn't have the heart to take them down. An homage to the old man who lived in the house before us and died in the basement. We often wonder what went on in that basement. 6 phone lines! I hear he was the village's electrical inspector.

Edited by piehead - 12/December/2009 at 1:52pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2009 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Believe me, if you stand in front of it, it makes you queasy.

His tools are on the other side of the room. The peg board holds some miscellaneous stuff. I should take some pictures of that work room...it came with the house....there are Playboy centerfolds up on the walls from the 60's. We didn't have the heart to take them down. An homage to the old man who lived in the house before us and died in the basement. We often wonder what went on in that basement. 6 phone lines! I hear he was the village's electrical inspector.

Sparky the Bookmaker. A true local legend. <g>
Maybe you should contact the HS society/museum curator for the details.

Is it the peg board or the table that's crooked? Or both?
I have an extra laser level around here somewhere. Brand new. Shoots level lines or angles, even around corners.
It's not much use in a 100 year old house. Nothing is plumb or level so the only thing to do is shoot for "even". Judging from the picture, he missed.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Tree Frog View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tree Frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2009 at 6:10pm
How can you tell the centerfolds are from the 60's?  Were the fashions different?  Wait...nevermind.
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2009 at 6:14pm
It's the hair styles. Funny, I never noticed them much before, for some reason. Must have been distracted.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

-James Madison
PaulW View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2009 at 7:54pm
Pie, if you need to borrow a level.....I've got them in all flavor and sizes!!!

:-)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2009 at 9:41pm
Problem solved. Watcher tracked us down and gave other half a brand new Briggs & Stratton laser level. He will be using it to adjust the bench.

As far as centerfolds from the 60's to now, you can come over and the difference is quite obvious. Did you know women in the 60's had pubic hair!!!
Mr. Deeds View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Deeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2009 at 6:18pm

As far as centerfolds from the 60's to now, you can come over and the difference is quite obvious. Did you know women in the 60's had pubic hair!!!

Vintage erotica?
Now we have an idea of what the hand exercisers are for. It's always good to stretch before working out.
Those who can make you believe absurdities have the power to make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire~
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2009 at 6:33pm
Now that's funny. I'll be sure to ask other half about that one. No wonder he spends so much time in the basement.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2009 at 7:12pm

Problem solved. Watcher tracked us down and gave other half a brand new Briggs & Stratton laser level. He will be using it to adjust the bench.

I knew that. Assumed they still did. I didn't know they no longer have it.<g>

I was going to suggest moving this to the Home Repair section until you brought hair into the equation. Now I'm unsure WHERE it needs to go.

Today's society is nuts. Hair nuts? Some are spending millions removing as much as possible and others are spending millions to grow it. The preoccupation is astounding.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2009 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Today's society is nuts. Hair nuts? Some are spending millions removing as much as possible and others are spending millions to grow it. The preoccupation is astounding.

Bizarre is more what comes to my mind!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2009 at 8:48pm
i, too, was going to crab about 'why didn't you put this in the Home Repair' section.
the jury is still out :)

for the record, the photo makes the bench look off kilter.
for the record, why are his tools on the other side of the room? what kind of a workroom are you running here? do you think this is a free country?
i'm calling the bldg dept tomorrow. i hope there's an ordinance on this issue :)

Edited by citizen - 13/December/2009 at 8:57pm
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2009 at 1:47pm
I thought it was a bit of both...checking the lines of the pegboard,
it looks like the tools are tilted slightly to the left, as does the edge of the board
w/respect to the stud:

"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2009 at 3:29pm
Yes, pegboard got jostled by the new bench being put in place. Needs to be adjusted as well. It's a whole experience in that room right now!

Edited by piehead - 14/December/2009 at 3:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply