Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Local Political Arena > Letters to The Editor, editorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cinema Foresta Parco

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cinema Foresta Parco
    Posted: 07/January/2010 at 8:35am
Here is a letter by Tony Sarley from yesterdays FP Review:

Over the holidays we saw Nine. The musical explores the fragile psyche of Italian filmmaker Maestro Guido Contini. Guido failed to write a script for his upcoming movie and ran away just before shooting began. When we ran into Village Administrator Tim Gillian at another show I was reminded of Forest Park's Fellini, Mayor Calderone. His financial spin in the Forest Park Review was classic cinema italiano.

The Review reports the village of Brookfield has laid off nine employees and will eliminate some senior positions. Calderone boasts that his business acumen and macro management has kept our village from wielding the axe. Everyone should remember it was Calderone who laid off 12 village employees after former finance commissioner Gillian didn't see money trouble coming. He has phased out positions in the building department, finance department, community center and public works. Calderone would have also scrapped the administrator's job if his political pal didn't need work.

Calderone claims to be vigilant in watching our expenses while commissioners use monthly accounting reports to monitor spending. Huh? Commissioner Hosty said the financial projections "suck" and during the council's freshman year they lost $900K.

Fortunately, current finance Commissioner Rory Hoskins recognizes the village has been lucky with timely personnel changes. He knows these savings were just enough to make ends meet, but Calderone, Curry and Hosty won't limit budgets funding non-core services.

Forest Park has laid off employees and eliminated positions just like other communities. All the Calderone-ese is just pre-production hype for his new saga, Two and a Half. Plotline: Small town mayor won't control spending and raises taxes 2.5 percent. Hopefully Guido isn't a consultant and Fellini won't run.

Tony Sarley
Forest Park

Edited by backman - 07/January/2010 at 8:36am
backman
JBWB View Drop Down
Seagull
Seagull

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2010 at 8:50am
Wasn't Sarley's wife Terry Steinbach on the council when the layoffs took place? And doolin also? Does the mayor layoff people by himself or is it a council decision?

Did Sarley's wife vote for the layoffs?

Thanks Backman for a reminder of the double face of some of the former elected's
If I had a hammer.... I would use it on a nail
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2010 at 9:07am
Originally posted by backman backman wrote:

Calderone claims to be vigilant in watching our expenses while commissioners use monthly accounting reports to monitor spending. Huh?
if someone could help out here: what is the significance of this statement?
it appeared from the review story that our finances are managed more seat-of-the-pants than w/a real strategy - how does this method fit in?

Small town mayor won't control spending and raises taxes 2.5 percent. 
has this increase been publicly discussed?
i really, really wish sarley would post here as he is one of the very few that 1) understands finance and 2) analyzes FP finances.
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2010 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by JBWB JBWB wrote:

Thanks Backman for a reminder of the double face of some of the former elected's

Actually thank you for reminding me of that day JBWB.

After reading your post earlier, I pulled out the DVD of the January 31, 2004 Special Council meeting where the layoffs took place and watched it. It was a very sad and somber affair.

The 31st. was a Saturday and the meeting started in the morning. Many people were there, including a number who eventually lost their jobs. The Mayor opened the meeting and after some preliminary dialog, the Council went into closed session. If I recall correctly, it was five or six hours that we all waited in the chambers for the verdict. When the Council returned it was only a matter of a few minutes discussion and 12 employees, (I believe including some firemen) were laid off and the meeting ended. Yes it was a unanimous vote.

Aside for the workers who lost their jobs, the saddest thing was Patrick Doolin and Terry Steinbach were barely nine months on the job and they had to pay for the sins of the previous council. Ultimately we all paid.
backman
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2010 at 2:23pm

Wasn't Sarley's wife Terry Steinbach on the council when the layoffs took place? And doolin also? Does the mayor layoff people by himself or is it a council decision?
Did Sarley's wife vote for the layoffs?
were you one of the layoffs? if so, i'm sorry.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2010 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by backman backman wrote:

Actually thank you for reminding me of that day JBWB.

After reading your post earlier, I pulled out the DVD of the January 31, 2004 Special Council meeting where the layoffs took place and watched it. It was a very sad and somber affair.

The 31st. was a Saturday and the meeting started in the morning. Many people were there, including a number who eventually lost their jobs. The Mayor opened the meeting and after some preliminary dialog, the Council went into closed session. If I recall correctly, it was five or six hours that we all waited in the chambers for the verdict. When the Council returned it was only a matter of a few minutes discussion and 12 employees, (I believe including some firemen) were laid off and the meeting ended. Yes it was a unanimous vote.

Aside for the workers who lost their jobs, the saddest thing was Patrick Doolin and Terry Steinbach were barely nine months on the job and they had to pay for the sins of the previous council. Ultimately we all paid.

Here are the minutes from the open portion of that meeting

meeting minutes
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2010 at 6:21pm
RF has a citizen's committee to assess its financial situation and make recommendations. wild and crazy neighbors, eh?
http://wednesdayjournalonline.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=16419
beating around the bush re: a tax increase and/or home...eh,eh...deep breath...home ruh...home ruh...eeeyyyeee...home ruuuuullllle!!!

wonder if the HR words will be spoken in 2010 - in FP.
run it up the flagpole, boys. you've, arguably, proven yourselves to be thoughtful and responsible stewards of the public trust. i dare you :)

Edited by citizen - 07/January/2010 at 6:25pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2010 at 6:45pm
Believe me, the followers of Calderone STILL think that home rule is the way to go. Scary how they still think every little thing he does is all in our best interests.....mostly I think they are all afraid of Rory.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2010 at 7:48pm
[QUOTE=piehead]they still think every little thing he does is all in our their own best interests.....QUOTE]
fixed :)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2010 at 8:02pm
have i mentioned this before?
was at VH, and way over 1/2 the little brochures displayed were for senior events via the Community Center. most of the rest were tax appeals and various township snuff.
has anyone broken down the annual budget for senior services? what's the village spending per senior capita?

yes, yes. we all love seniors and know we'll all be there soon enough. would VH still love seniors if they didnt't vote?

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2010 at 8:19pm
Well the mayor's famous hug on New Year's Eve made Jackie Schultz column this week.

Jackie's column
"Mayor Anthony Calderone gave one of his famous hugs to Alice Visco."
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2010 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Well the mayor's famous hug on New Year's Eve made Jackie Schultz column this week.

Jackie's column
"Mayor Anthony Calderone gave one of his famous hugs to Alice Visco."
i have no idea what you are referring to - is this a tradition?
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2010 at 8:49am
Tony is a hugger..hugs are good.
FOCUS !!
 Post Reply Post Reply