Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"No Dogs Police Order"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shar-Pei Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2010 at 10:03am
Mine went by the name of Phoebe when she was with the ACL.  It didn't fit her at all. 

My ex volunteers at the ACL and I do believe Melanie wasn't there too long.
R.I.P. Dustin
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2010 at 8:52pm
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2010 at 8:49am
what a good dog, on a leash and everything :)
yooperann View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yooperann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/February/2010 at 12:14pm
Great photo!  When we lived in Oak Park, we used to walk every morning with a neighbor and her German Shepherd mix.  At that point we had our daughter's dog, a rescue golden retriever with an unfortunate habit of running away anytime he saw an opportunity.  He got off leash during one of our walks and took off.  Darned if the German shepherd didn't round him right back up and lead him back to us! 
   The same shepherd used to circle around us anxiously the whole time we were crossing the pedestrian bridge at Home Ave over the Eisenhower.  Great dogs indeed. 
FP_citizen2 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2010 at 3:16pm
Hello all -

It seems like there are two issues at hand here:

Vacant lot being used for dogs to go to the bathroom (which seemed to be the initial point of the pots)

Vacant lot being turned into a dog park (somehow this became a topic of conversation but I don't think was the orginal intent)

One question in terms of letting your dogs go to the bathroom - where are you suppose to do it if you live in a condo that ISN'T village property? I know I'm not going to have my dogs take a dump in our shower.

On another note, one aspect that is extremely frustrating is the inconsistency with the police- dogs aren't allowed off-leash - fine, that is a no-brainer - but Marani let's his dog all over the Village off-leash and unsupervised and never cleans up after it. On that note, there are a lot of people that don't clean up after their dogs and that is disgusting - clean up your dog's sh*t!

Ok that's all - don't think I really had a point, but whatever

Here are our two pooches who are just awesome

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2010 at 4:26pm
FP 2, they are beautiful. Looks like the big guy in the foreground was ready to make a lunge for you (the hand that can be seen). Very cute.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2010 at 4:27pm
yes, they are! look at those eyes.
FP_citizen2 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FP_citizen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2010 at 4:36pm
Thanks guys! They are big goofballs - the one on the left (Lenny) is an Alaskan Malamute and Great Pyrenees mix and the one on the right (Foster) is an Australian Shepherd.

He very well might have been trying to lunge - likely to try and lick the camera!

On a side note, I do clean up their s**te!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2010 at 5:58pm
He looks like he'd be a good licker! And when I said lunge I was thinking of licking, not biting.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2010 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by FP_citizen2 FP_citizen2 wrote:

Here are our two pooches who are just awesome

they're either camera muggers, or looking at you w/true love.
i get foster and what he looks like, but lenny - malamute/great pyranees - wild. he looks slim? sort of short-hair?

every FPF poster picks up their dog poop. it's a rule :)

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2010 at 7:57am
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2010 at 8:43am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

a letter in today's review. nicely written, good points.http://www.forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=17&ArticleID=4708&TM=31869.77

You go Ann Fisher!!!! Loved the "Really? There was a survey?"
Touche
yooperann View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yooperann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2010 at 12:31pm
Embarrassed  (outing herself) Ah, shucks!  Thanks!  I've heard nothing from anyone in the village, however.  
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2010 at 12:39pm
Yooper, that should be no surprise. As far as they're concerned (my take), Tim's letter to the residents of the grove was all that was necessary.
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2010 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

a letter in today's review. nicely written, good points.http://www.forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=17&ArticleID=4708&TM=31869.77

You go Ann Fisher!!!! Loved the "Really? There was a survey?"
Touche

You go Ann Fisher!!!!   But...............where?

"There was certainly no public discussion that I was aware of. I hope that calmer heads can now prevail and the ban can be rescinded."

I'm sure they'll get right on that.  And precisely why I state that as long as there's this level of idiocy at the top of FP - masking their ineptitude with imagery of Madison St. - people need to pound the pavement NOW in advance of 2011.  

FPF and the Review are great resources in terms of irking your "leaders," yet aren't enough when it comes to getting folks to vote for change.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2010 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by yooperann yooperann wrote:

Embarrassed  (outing herself) Ah, shucks!  Thanks!  I've heard nothing from anyone in the village, however.  

do not hold your breath :)
wish it wasn't so, but it's too public for their sensibilities. actually, too negative.
asking pointed questions publicly will get you labeled seditious. as if being an FPF poster isn't  enough.
you are dead to them. LOL
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2010 at 2:00pm

asking pointed questions publicly will get you labeled seditious. as if being an FPF poster isn't  enough.
you are dead to them. LOL

LOL, damn, Nez! 

yer label s/b sadistic, not seditious!

"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
yooperann View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yooperann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/February/2010 at 8:26pm
A reply:
"I apologize for responding to you so late. I was not informed of the
decision to place "No Dogs" signs on the Village property at the
Altenheim prior to their placement. I do know that our officers use the
area for training from time to time. I don't know how often the
property was used by dog owners or their residency. I doubt that any
real information has been developed.

"While I can understand our desire to regulate activity on public
property, our decision making was not well thought out. With the
inability of the YMCA to build a new facility at this location, the
Village must determine what we want to do with our property. And
certainly, when I say the Village, I mean the residents of the Village.
As the Commissioner of Public Property, I would like to hold a couple
of public meetings to discuss both the short term and long term best
use of our property. I can not promise you that this will include an
area for dogs but I can promise you that residents will have an
opportunity to be heard. I will working with Village staff to organize
public discussions and will let you know when a meeting is scheduled.
In the mean time, feel free to contact me either through the village or
on my home phone at 771-XXXX.

"Thanks for taking the time to express your concerns and I look forward to meeting you.

Regards, Marty Tellalian
Commissioner of Public Property"

Edit by piehead: removed Marty's phone number

Edited by piehead - 16/February/2010 at 8:46pm
rosie View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2010 at 10:07am
So the Commissioner of Public Property has no idea that the "No Dogs Allowed Signs" were put up on Forest Park Property? So who made the decision and why? 
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2010 at 10:10am
pie, did you delete a comment of mine from last night?
anyway, i noted that commish tellalian's response to a citizen was appropriate and respectful.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2010 at 10:49am
Nope, citizen; if I delete a comment or make an edit, I usually send a PM to the person so they are not surprised or upset.
videoguy View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/February/2010 at 12:29pm
Ok, first, I hope that photo of the German Shepard with the sign in his mouth was just a joke. One may not like "NO DOGS" signs, but no one has the right to remove them without permission.

Second, I do not see how walking dogs on a vacant lot is an issue IF the dog crap is picked up. Ann might very well pick up after her dogs, but she has no idea if others do as well. I certainly would not want to walk in the woods and come upon tons of dog crap.

Third, if Gillian did in fact say that dogs on leashes can only be walked in the dog park, then the cops could certainly write 100 tickets a day, because most people walk their dogs wherever they want. Again, not really a problem if no mess is left behind.

Fourth, I too would like to know why the Commission of Public Property does not know what is going on with the public property in town.

Edited by videoguy - 17/February/2010 at 12:30pm
Shar-Pei Guy View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shar-Pei Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2010 at 3:37pm
The people who do not pick up after their dogs are the ones most likely to ignore the signs as well.

If poop is / was the issue (and I can certainly understand it being an issue, I don't like it in my yard and I have dogs), then put up a freaking sign telling people they must pick up after their dogs.

I like Marty, and his response was excellent.  I am totally underwhelmed by Gillian.  The village and their shotgun approach to this is absurd.  You do not go out and shoot the masses because of a few problem people, you address the freaking problem, you don't punish law abiding tax paying citizens.
R.I.P. Dustin
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/February/2010 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Shar-Pei Guy Shar-Pei Guy wrote:

The village and their shotgun approach to this is absurd.  You do not go out and shoot the masses because of a few problem people, you address the freaking problem, you don't punish law abiding tax paying citizens.
it's the FP way. plus a bit of bullying and an entirely reactive mode.
may i borrow this? :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234