Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"No Dogs Police Order"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 9:39am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

The Park employees should not have to add s**tpickeruppers to their list of jobs. Next.

What are Park employees doing picking up sh¡t from a vacant field?  I wouldn't (except to put it on the boss' desk).

Edited by arneharris - 22/January/2010 at 12:57pm
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 9:40am

OMG I KNOW THAT !!!!! But just because it is vacant what makes people think its usage is up for grabs?

Why the hell  heck not?

Edited by arneharris - 22/January/2010 at 9:47am
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 9:45am
Read it right..somebody suggested the Park District add a dog run. And stop cussing at me.Cry.
FOCUS !!
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 9:49am
I'm sorry, you're correct.  I thought you meant in general, not just dogs.  Reading is a skill.
I was pulling your chain about the vacant park thing (that's what rosie said to me :) ).

I'm OK (as stated earlier) with not letting dogs poopy all over the place there. 

Edited by arneharris - 22/January/2010 at 9:50am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 9:56am
fine, but what about the biggest problem - OPRF dog poop in our town!
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 10:00am
I totally agree Citizen. Do they not have a dog park in OP?
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 10:34am

we're mixing/matching. and i'm pulling your chain, dc :)

i believe most folks are grateful to village hall for creating and maintaining our dog park - it's an undeniable asset to residents.
but that does not preclude residents asking about dog walking at the altenheim, which is village owned, not village hall owned.
it's been 6 months (?) since the Y deal fell thru, and about time village hall give the villagers more direction/discussion on our vacant land than suppressive legal talk.

rosie View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 10:40am
Honestly, I didn't realize that 9 out of 10 Forest Park dog owners were so lazy and irresponsible as to let their dogs poop all over the village without picking up after their dogs. I agree with you all; that is disgusting. Also illegal, right? Anyone ever get ticketed and/or fined for not following Forest Park leash laws?

I have heard that the people from OP/RF who let their dogs run off leash in the vacant lot were ticketed and fined in OP, which is why they started coming over there and letting their dogs use the lot as a dog park. Did FP ever ticket and or fine them or did the village just decide that it would take less effort to punish all dog owners, including FP citizens who are following FP dog ordinances, than to enforce laws that already exist?  

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 10:53am
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

What are Park employees picking up sh¡t from a vacant field?  I wouldn't (except to put it on the boss' desk).

Now that is hysterical....but not on John Doss's desk....on the real boss' desk.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 10:54am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

it's been 6 months (?) since the Y deal fell thru, and about time village hall give the villagers more direction/discussion on our vacant land than suppressive legal talk.

I wonder how much it cost the village to write the suppressive legal talk letter? You just know that legal counsel had to be brought in as our current VA does not have a degree in anything...except common sense.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 10:55am

I know I've see one near Ridgeland and the train tracks.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 11:57am

Oak Park Dog Park Info

Limitations on Animals in Parks. Except as provided in this Section 7.12 and for dog parks in Section 8 of this chapter, no person shall bring any animal into any Park Facility. Notwithstanding this prohibition, dogs and cats only may be taken into a park if, but only if, the animals are securely held by suitable lines, chains, or straps no more than eight feet in length, except that it shall be unlawful for any dog or cat, even though on a leash, to go upon or be upon any premise or upon any path or sidewalk extending through any of the following playground apparatus areas: Anderson, Barrie, Carroll, Field, Fox, Longfellow, Stevenson, Randolph Tot Lot, Wenonah Tot Lot, Rehm, Taylor, Scoville, Maple, Lindberg, and Euclid. The limitation on locations set forth in the previous sentence shall not apply to dogs used to accommodate blind persons and shall not apply to pets that are enrolled and participating in a Park District program for dog obedience.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 1:13pm
have never seen a seeing-eye dog poop or pee - ever :) good doggies.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

have never seen a seeing-eye dog poop or pee - ever :) good doggies.

Believe me, they do

My old neighbor had a guide dog. She hired a neighborhood kid to walk her and exercise her...therefore, no harness. They travel incognito then. So perhaps you've seen them poop but just didn't realize it
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2010 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

So perhaps you've seen them poop but just didn't realize it

LOL!

Same here, never noticed them "going."

Edited by arneharris - 22/January/2010 at 1:44pm
JM303 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/January/2010 at 11:56am
Maybe they're trained not to duty while on duty.
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/January/2010 at 11:25am
FWIW, some back ground on the Oak Park dogs off-leash controversy. It was triggered by the county clamping down in 2005, citing a new law banning dogs running free in non-secure places.

Neither the village nor the park district is free to allow activities banned under county and/or state law.

10/25/2005
County bans loose pooches in local parks
The party is over for pooches in Oak Park for the time being, at least as far as frolicking off leash in public spaces is concerned. The Park District of Oak Park was ordered by the Cook County Department of Animal and Rabies Control (DARC) last week to "cease and desist" allowing dogs to run off leash in village parks, pursuant to legislation that became effective last June 1.

11/1/2005
Parks act after dog owners bare teeth over off-leash ban
A long and contentious week that saw the Park District of Oak Park confronted by a pack of angry and frustrated dog owners concluded on a positive note Monday morning. Park district, village and county officials met at Ridgeland Common to discuss legally appropriate ways to deal with establishing an off-leash dog facility there.

11/29/2005
Pooches get parks reprieve
After howls of protest from local dog owners, seeming back-tracking by county officials, and some minor concessions by the park district, Oak Park is about to get not just weekend dog runs, but a small, full-time dog park...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

-James Madison
Mr. D View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/January/2010 at 11:28am
Key fact from OP situation in the Nov. 29 article: "People are very pleased and pleasantly surprised," said Farley of the park board’s announcement. "They’ve listened to our concerns and responded strongly."
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

-James Madison
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/January/2010 at 12:12pm
thanks! mr. d.

i think rosie wrote that as a culture we're becoming more 'pet friendly.' i think that is mostly true.
demographics have changed and there are a lot more singles, childless couples, seniors, etc. who want/own dogs and often live in yardless condos. lord knows we've built enough of them in our towns.

it's a matter of everyone accomodating/getting along and responsible dog owners.
for the grovers/altenheim, it might have better for all if the actual problems were detailed via the village.
i don't think most folks expect the village to expend more resources to another dog park or cleaning up poop.
i'm still not clear on what all goes on at the altenheim.

Shar-Pei Guy View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shar-Pei Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2010 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by yooperann yooperann wrote:

by that logic no one could use it, nor could we walk our leashed dogs anywhere else in FP except in the dog park.  

Well you'd not even be able to use the dog park as you could not walk the dogs to it.

I agree with Dogcatcher.  This should be the villages top priority.  I'm fine with the village ignoring the drug dealer down the street from me so that we can keep this piece of public property free from the nuisance which is the public.
R.I.P. Dustin
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2010 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Shar-Pei Guy Shar-Pei Guy wrote:

Originally posted by yooperann yooperann wrote:

by that logic no one could use it, nor could we walk our leashed dogs anywhere else in FP except in the dog park.  

Well you'd not even be able to use the dog park as you could not walk the dogs to it.

I agree with Dogcatcher.  This should be the villages top priority.  I'm fine with the village ignoring the drug dealer down the street from me so that we can keep this piece of public property free from the nuisance which is the public.
snark, i assume :)

again, i think if the village/gillian would have explained the situation in real terms/real words, at the least it would have fostered understanding - agree or disagree.
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shar-Pei Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2010 at 9:30am

Originally posted by gottago gottago wrote:

For example one might suggest that some of the people posting on this thread might... live at the Grove and own German Shepard's

Own German Shepard's what?

btw, who here owns German Shepherds?  I love those dogs and would like to own one in the future.

I do, awesome dogs.  Don't live at the Grove though and have never been near the property in question.
R.I.P. Dustin
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2010 at 10:17am
Awesome.  I have a little dog, but really want the satisfaction and intelligence of a Shepherd.
Wife is against it, saying our house and yard are too small (and that I'd be too lazy to walk it enough to compensate).  While I'd like a larger home & yard, there are many with much smaller who make it work.  Plus all my adjacent, double-lot neighbors are cool about letting our dog roam.

In terms of them taking up space and such that to me is not an issue (she looks at our dog - food crazy, laying on the couches & chairs, jumping on couch/us/guests when food is involved (she was taught to be like that, of course!)); I believe they're smart enough (when trained) that that's nary an issue. 

Do you have both Shepherds and Shar-Peis?
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shar-Pei Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2010 at 10:29am
I now have one of each.  When I moved to FoPa I had 3 Peis, but my twins both passed last year to a genetic disease.  So that explains the user name.

I got my Shepherd last year from the ACL in Oak Park.  She was a stray but bonded with me very quickly.  When I first got her everyone kept asking me what she was mixed with as she was skin and bones, but now she's filled out nicely and there's no doubt she's full GSD.

Several people on the forums know where I live and can attest to the fact I have a small yard.  The girls will run and play in it and I take the GSD to the dog park.  She gets one or two regular walks a day and when the weather is nice she tags along with me on bike rides in the neighborhood.  I picked up a leash specifically made to attach to a bike frame and she loves it. 

It's crazy how intelligent they are, I still get amazed at her smarts.  I've never had issues with my dogs being annoying when there is food around.  They have their specific places to be when it is meal time and they just go to them as they would rather just go there than be told to go to their areas. 

I don't for one second regret rescuing my GSD.  Awesome girl.
R.I.P. Dustin
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2010 at 11:01am
Dammit you're making me jealous. 
My wife argues about them getting along with other breeds, specifically smaller ones (our present is a Corgi).  She often forgets that the breeder we "rescued" ours from bred both Corgis and.........GSDs! 

I mention yard space as we're on a 25' lot, though we are 10 feet longer than the normal lots here.  I couldn't imagine being more satisfied with a dog than by owning a GSD.  I'm not sure where that comes from and I do not dismiss any other large breeds, I just have a strong attachment to them.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2010 at 1:45pm
I know a family that has a corgi and a dalmation. They get along famously. The dalmation can reach things for the corgi that her little legs won't let her.

Shar Pei Guy, glad to hear you got a new friend. Your twins were very nice pooches!! Will have to look for you riding your bike with your new girl.
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shar-Pei Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2010 at 2:02pm

Dammit you're making me jealous. 
My wife argues about them getting along with other breeds, specifically smaller ones (our present is a Corgi).  She often forgets that the breeder we "rescued" ours from bred both Corgis and.........GSDs! 

I mention yard space as we're on a 25' lot, though we are 10 feet longer than the normal lots here.  I couldn't imagine being more satisfied with a dog than by owning a GSD.  I'm not sure where that comes from and I do not dismiss any other large breeds, I just have a strong attachment to them.

I too am on a 25' lot and it's not the long lot.  GSDs bond so tightly with their person, they are actually very Shar Pei like that way.

The remaining Shar Pei I have is nearly blind and just does not play well with others.  It's not that she means harm, but her prior life was bad and she was never socialized with people or dogs.  All she had in life was what appears to have been little food but lots of beatings.  She's VERY sweet with people, but as I said she doesn't play well with others at all.  She just goes Psycho.  My GSD is incredibly patient with her, she will warn her when she's acting like a butthead but it's just a warning.  They play, they lay near each other or ever with each other. 

Both my girls are rescues, both had tough lives, and both are just the most wonderful kids one could want.  Why a GSD now?  I've always loved them, but never had a yard up here until now.
R.I.P. Dustin
rdscaf View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdscaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2010 at 3:44pm

Awesome.  I have a little dog, but really want the satisfaction and intelligence of a Shepherd.
Wife is against it, saying our house and yard are too small (and that I'd be too lazy to walk it enough to compensate).  While I'd like a larger home & yard, there are many with much smaller who make it work.  Plus all my adjacent, double-lot neighbors are cool about letting our dog roam.

My daughter and son in law have two Shepard’s in a two bed room apartment.  Its do able!

Just howl'n at the moon!
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2010 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by rdscaf rdscaf wrote:

My daughter and son in law have two Shepard’s in a two bed room apartment.  Its do able!

Oh I believe it, rdscaf, but you really have to on the ball in terms of walking them to get their exercise.  Actually, any dog in an apartment is a lot of work.  The lifestyle of walking your dog every time it needs to pee or poo just doesn't work for me, particularly when they get older.

i.e. I let my dog out roughly 5-6 times per day during the work week, maybe more on my days off.  I could never take the time to suit up (shoes, jackets, gloves, hat, baggies) that many times per day and spend the time walking about.  And when it's 6am or 9pm and 13° - F that!  I absolutely need the access to a yard so I can open the door, stand inside at the window for a few min, then open it.

My only question was the house and yard size with a larger breed.

harp10 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2010 at 1:04am

Shar-Pei - can you tell me the name of your GSD? There was a small female from ACL named Melanie that my daughter and I met at Whole Foods - we soooooooo almost adopted her on the spot. I have a Shiloh Shepherd (kind of a cross/ new breed GSD) a cat and two guinea pigs, so was not ready for another. If she is yours now, you are both very lucky - she was stunning!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>