Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Main Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Golden Steer on "Check, Please!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Golden Steer on "Check, Please!"
    Posted: 24/January/2010 at 10:17pm
I was pleasantly surprised to see the restaurant on the "Check, Please!". Never been there, but now I plan on it!

Edited by isis - 24/January/2010 at 10:18pm
All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2010 at 6:18am
Ask to sit at the B.J. Jahoda table.
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
rosie View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2010 at 7:39am
That had to be one of the most positive reviews that I have ever seen on Check Please. Congrats to the Golden Steer and Staff!
itsme View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2010 at 9:07am
I love Golden Steer.  I sure wish they'd update it a little though.  I know it's part of the charm, but it could use a little light and some color :)
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2010 at 9:09am
Originally posted by rosie rosie wrote:

That had to be one of the most positive reviews that I have ever seen on Check Please. Congrats to the Golden Steer and Staff!

For real!  I had the good fortune of going with my mom (her first time) the day before it aired.  Very glad we went when we did to avoid the check please effect.  I was expecting show participants to not get it, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Its a strange old place, reminded me mum of pubs in the northwoods, minus the taxidermy. 
rosie View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2010 at 9:18am
"I was expecting show participants to not get it, but I was pleasantly surprised."

Me too. I enjoyed the woman who, when she summed up her experience said that "the place hasn't changed in forty years, it doesn't have to." I also like what Althena (I think that is the host of the show's name) said about people not being happy to see her (kidding) cuz it is hard enough to get in on a Saturday night, and people (like watcher) recommending their own favorite waitresses. Made me feel good about Forest Park. My dog and I needed that. LOL
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2010 at 10:06am
The hostess of the show is Master Sommelier Alpana Singh; she is the youngest ever to achieve that status in the wine world....plus she seems like a genuinely nice person.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2010 at 10:19am

people (like watcher) recommending their own favorite waitresses. Made me feel good about Forest Park. My dog and I needed that. LOL

I wouldn't recommend dropping the Jahoda name at GS. You can Google the name to learn why. Linda would be the waitress to ask for.

The Steer is good food, something FoPa has always enjoyed. Homer's, Set Back, Gianotti's, Otto's, Old Town West, The Pines, Richard's were all unpretentious places just like the Steer where you could DINE on first class food.

Many of the more recent eateries lack much that small town charm.

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2010 at 11:53am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

people (like watcher) recommending their own favorite waitresses. Made me feel good about Forest Park. My dog and I needed that. LOL

I wouldn't recommend dropping the Jahoda name at GS. You can Google the name to learn why. Linda would be the waitress to ask for.

that was very decent of you watcher.
was unsure how the steer would react to 'hi, we'd like jahoda to serve us tonight.'
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2010 at 12:30pm
If it aint broke dont fix it..and this proves the Steer aint broke decor and all.Thumbs%20Up
FOCUS !!
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 7:19am

Ask to sit at the B.J. Jahoda table.

I was always fond of the "Chuckie" English special at Horwath's in E.P....  Wink
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 8:37am
Watched "check please" finally. What a great review for the Steer. Now we'll never be able to get in! Was even happier to see one of my favorite bartenders (from a different FP establishment) in the background and at the juke box. It was amazing how much brighter and lighter it appeared on the show. They must have had some really powerful lights in there that night!
itsme View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 9:46am
I miss Old Towne West, best deep dish pizza around.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 10:37am
Originally posted by itsme itsme wrote:

Oh yeah, that crust was the best tasting crust around. That place had great atmosphere as well.
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Originally posted by itsme itsme wrote:

Oh yeah, that crust was the best tasting crust around. That place had great atmosphere as well.

Agreed!
backman
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 3:20pm
Where is the recipe ? Whoever has it could make a damn fortune opening Old Towne West II.
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 3:43pm
I think the recipe (at least that's what I heard) went with Doc Ryan's but lord knows they probably lost it. The last pizza I ate there had no taste whatsoever.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 4:46pm

The Steer is good food, something FoPa has always enjoyed. Homer's, Set Back, Gianotti's, Otto's, Old Town West, The Pines, Richard's were all unpretentious places just like the Steer where you could DINE on first class food.

Many of the more recent eateries lack much that small town charm.

Aww hell, we miss the Pines, too! 
And that adjoining bar was really cool. 
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 5:19pm
Heading to the Steer for a tail & filet tonight.

What's everyone's favorite thing to get there?

+ My wife gets withdrawl symptoms when she doesn't get their Chicken Dejonghe often enough - has about a ½" of garlic on top.

+ I like their ribs (small, but de-f'ing-licious), surf & turf combo (surprisingly good tail), and LOVE their take on Beef Stroganoff.  Dig their homestyle fries/twice bakeds as well...

+ My parent(s) say they have excellent fish entrees, not sure exactly which, but I've heard from others, too, they do fish really well there.  (I'm always too hungry for fish LOL )

Always check out the ever-changing specials board when u walk in.

And of course their classic Baked French Onion Soup & fun waitstaff!

Edited by arneharris - 26/January/2010 at 5:22pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 6:09pm
been waiting for your input, arneharris - food king & critic :)

i've never eaten there - too dark - but intend to soon.
arne, report back after tonight's dinner. yum.
wonder if you could check out the wine/wine list - don't need expensive, just good :)

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 6:46pm
I've never had anything there except fish. Yellow snapper (DELISH), grouper, tilapia. Always grilled and blackened. They do fish really well.
FREDDY5811 View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREDDY5811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 9:59pm
The recipe for Olde Towne West Pizza is alive and well. It will return one day.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2010 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by FREDDY5811 FREDDY5811 wrote:

please, continue.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/January/2010 at 8:56am

If it's alive and well....why isn't it being used?
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/January/2010 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

If it's alive and well....why isn't it being used?

What was this crust like?  Rich a la Gino's East or more bread-y? 
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/January/2010 at 1:14pm
On Olde Towne West's deep dish it was very buttery and flavorful, not hard like Gino's or Lou's or Uno's. I think they also used the same crust on the non-deep dish as well. It had a real good taste.
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/January/2010 at 8:49pm
Ok when in season the Smelt are to die for..we always go on Prime Rib days for me and hubby always gets the filet. Im taking my 3 girls there Feb 12 for daughter 1 's 27th bday and daughter # 2's 21st bday and daughter 3 will turn 18 they have never been there so hoping to start a tradition. Son will go for his 17th in june.
FOCUS !!
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2010 at 7:04pm
anyone on the wine offerings?
just made reservations - sister's Iowa in-laws (they like their beef!) are in next weekend.
i'm sure we'll love it (thanks, all) but 3 out of 5 are wino's. help!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/January/2010 at 7:17pm
Perhaps a call to them to find out might help? I'm a beer drinker so I'm no help. Their website just mentions "house" wines.
Golden Steer
harp10 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2010 at 6:50am
Ok, Ok, - I'm a wino!! citizen, not REALLY great wine choices. Like Pie said they have house wines and I think Vendage is the "good stuff". Unless your friends are wine snobs, it won't matter. Especially after their first taste of the onion soup!! Keep in mind that your steaks will have a good char unless you request otherwise. Love the steak, hate the char so I always order without.  Go to House Red and have a nice bottle for them at your house. Then when you get to the Steer, tell them to order the cabernet and wait for the good stuff!! You will love it! Btw, how hard was it to make a ressie??

Edited by harp10 - 29/January/2010 at 6:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>