Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Education > F O O D related discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New pizza/pasta Roos/Marengo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New pizza/pasta Roos/Marengo
    Posted: 01/February/2010 at 9:41am
Damenzo's pizza?

Just checked out their yelp reviews. Seems to be a carryout joint. Seeing as we find out about FP happenings on Amy Rita's Mayoral facebook page.....it's mentioned as pizza and pasta "RESTAURANT". Wonder if it will just be a carryout joint ala Smokin M's or a sit down place?

FP needs a pizza parlor. Salerno's in Oak Park isn't very good (they were in the beginning but last pizza from there had NO flavor whatsoever).

Is this in the Toniq building? Does this mean they were shut down?
arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2010 at 10:27am
Gotta check it out, can't believe I haven't noticed it.
That would be great for me if it's good.

I agree on Salerno's; it's been hit or miss for me, DiNico's I only like by the slice, strangely enough.  Benny's sauce has gotten more ketchup-y lately.
(These days I do Falco's or Anthony's, both on Cermak)
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
Katie View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2010 at 11:09am
My first thought was the White Hen Pantry building, which has been abandoned for over a year. It's at the SW corner of Roosevelt & Marengo. If that's the case, at least it has parking.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2010 at 11:11am
Oh, that makes sense. Hopefully not a carryout joint like their Taylor St. location. The pictures of that spot have about as much appeal as a bad beef stand.
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2010 at 11:37am
Moving from "Da Mayor's Facebook page" to where it belongs...

When I lived on Taylor St. my boyfriend had a fascination with their pizza.  It was a kind of deep dish that was so odd... I almost hesitate to call it deep dish or even pizza as it was more like a thinnish crust buried in a pool of sauce and copious cheese.  The outer ring of the crust was folded over towards the center of the pizza, kind of sand-bagging the molten cheese.  It goes without saying we're going to have to try it to see if its the same, but it drove me up the wall when he was into it for a spell.

Disclaimer: we never did try their other offerings and their strengths may lie elsewhere. 
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2010 at 11:39am
What most on yelp talked about were their pizza puffs (although the description sounded a bit more like a calzone). Oh well, hope it's good. A great pizza place would be awesome.
rdscaf View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdscaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2010 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Katie Katie wrote:

My first thought was the White Hen Pantry building, which has been abandoned for over a year. It's at the SW corner of Roosevelt & Marengo. If that's the case, at least it has parking.

There is work going on there and a pizzza sign was in the window last week.
Just howl'n at the moon!
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2010 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by rdscaf rdscaf wrote:

Originally posted by Katie Katie wrote:

There is work going on there and a pizzza sign was in the window last week.

"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2010 at 9:01am
And it is good. 

I haven't tried my old nemesis, the pan, but the thin crust was quite good.  Sauce was not tomato paste based, but had actual tomato chunks and was seasoned well.  Crust was clearly not pre-fab (shudder at the prevalence of this), substantial but not bread-y or greasy.  The cheese, however, is odd.  Maybe its mozzarella mixed with scamorza but I couldn't tell.  Lots of it, perhaps more than necessary, but had a nice salty bite that made up for the relative lack of salt in the crust.  Definitely would order again.  
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2010 at 9:24am
Haven't been there so I can't comment of the quality of the food.  However, a review of the menu shows high prices.  They are charging $4.50 for delivery!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2010 at 10:48am
Martini, I noticed the same thing about their downtown delivery charge. With $4.50, the drivers will not be getting any tips...unless that's the reason for the high charge; people are cheap and don't tip drivers?

Supposed to open this weekend I heard.

Their pizza/pasta prices appear no more than any place else.
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

With $4.50, the drivers will not be getting any tips...unless that's the reason for the high charge; people are cheap and don't tip drivers

People rarely tip drivers. I delivered pizzas 1976-78. With tax, all the orders would end with totals like: $5.85 or $7.90. I ended up with dimes and nickels. All the customers would say "keep the change" thinking they're such high rollers.

I asked my boss, the owner, why not raise the prices 15-20 cents so maybe I could earn a halfway decent tip. He first balked, then relented and did so. I ended up getting a dime or a quarter or nothing at all. So much for trying to out fox the pikers.
backman
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2010 at 12:56pm
But doesn't the entire delivery charge go directly to the driver anyways? I know that's how Giovanni's used to operate in Berwyn. Am I incorrect in that thinking?
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2010 at 5:58pm
At my place, I got a flat $25 a night which worked out to about $3.50 an hour. In theory, the tips covered your gas (and in some cases oil).

I do know what your saying though. I moon-lighted at Jim & Pete's once and there the driver got the delivery charge which was $1. Tips were not much better.
backman
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2010 at 8:15pm
Wow, no wonder our pizzas are always piping hot. I usually give the guy at least $3.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2010 at 8:46pm
I usually do not include the delivery charge when giving a tip, yet if this joint is $4.50 I may be shaving $2.50 off their normal tip!

When I delivered for Jake's in 1993 there was a $2 delivery fee, but I don't recall if we got the entire amount.  As with busing/waitering, once you've done this you probably tip more.  My pizza tips are usually about $5.

It makes a difference: these joints REMEMBER who tips, who tips better, and who doesn't at all.  If I got three orders and it was known one house regularly tipped $3, another $5, the other little to none, I could tell you whose pizza was going to be piping hot, and whose would be last on the route.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2010 at 9:11pm
backman, I used to love Jim & Pete's when I lived in Elmwood.  One of few places that makes a meatball pizza!
backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2010 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

As with busing/waitering, once you've done this you probably tip more.  My pizza tips are usually about $5.

Agreed. My pizza tips are $5 and in the last year or so we have been giving wait staff 20% CASH. We learned a while back that some restaurants are taking a cut out of tips charged on plastic to cover the bank fees and that cut is more than the 2-3% the banks actually charge the business.

Big thumbs up on Jim & Petes. I did not like delivering for them but enjoyed their pizza for many years after that. I would take out of towners there for what I thought was real Chicago pizza on a crisp, thin crust. They were the first place I knew to offer artichoke wedges on pizza. What a natural, it just took someone to do it.
backman
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2010 at 12:16am
We had the eggplant parm dinner good but it did not come with pasta or bread or salad 6.99, kid had steak tacos 1.99 ea. not so good she said.  Tonight I had a sandwich on ciabatta bread the meat was weird sliced paper thin and was mushy 6.99 so far not impressed, we have not tried the pizza yet.
FOCUS !!
greatauntoftriplets View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatauntoftriplets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2010 at 9:01am

Wow, no wonder our pizzas are always piping hot. I usually give the guy at least $3.

Same here.
Round the world, the truth will echo.
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2010 at 9:28am
Franks Pizza on Roosevelt  was the best thin crust and OTW the best deep dish ever. We will give Damenzos a try for pizza but will skip the other stuff. I do hope they succeed we need more places on Roosevelt,and maybe they will work out the kinks and listen to thefeedback.

Edited by dogcatcher - 29/April/2010 at 9:29am
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2010 at 10:01am
Originally posted by dogcatcher dogcatcher wrote:

We had the eggplant parm dinner good but it did not come with pasta or bread or salad 6.99,
That's how Frank's in River Forest serves it as well. Gip!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2010 at 7:18pm
Well tried DaMenzo's tonight. I can now cross them off my list of places to eat. The meatballs with the spaghetti were the toughest, burnt pieces of hamburger meat I've ever had. I don't think a dog would eat them.

The beef review was it was 2 steps below Buena beefs.

The spaghetti was okay at best.

I really had higher hopes for it. Oh well.
Number6 View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2010 at 7:28pm
Piehead, I do respectfully suggest you try their thin crust before writing them off completely.  
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2010 at 7:58pm

Well tried DaMenzo's tonight. I can now cross them off my list of places to eat. The meatballs with the spaghetti were the toughest, burnt pieces of hamburger meat I've ever had. I don't think a dog would eat them.

The beef review was it was 2 steps below Buena beefs.

The spaghetti was okay at best.

I really had higher hopes for it. Oh well.

How was their pizza?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2010 at 10:29pm
I saw the pizzas. I don't care for that style of pizza. Big huge rubber slices. No thank you.

They were quite busy.

I wish them well. Just not my tastes for Italian, that's all.

Edited by piehead - 02/May/2010 at 10:30pm
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2010 at 10:39pm
What's offered as slices is rarely what's sold as pizzas.... i.e. Salerno's, Dinico's, Anthony's...  esp. when multiple styles (thin/regular/pan/ stuffed) are available.

I rarely expect "side items" to be worth a crap from pizza joints, and when they are it's a bonus.   Perhaps they don't have their wrinkles ironed out yet; that's not unusual.  Many times I've crossed a place off my list only to go back years later and discover I've been missing something pretty damn good.

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2010 at 12:18am

I saw the pizzas. I don't care for that style of pizza. Big huge rubber slices. No thank you.
Not even close!  They were open on my way home from work, surprisingly.  I grabbed a huge slice of pepperoni  and found it was thin and ultra crispy!!!  Not thick and rubbery a la Dinico, Salerno...best slice of pepperoni I've ever had around here.
IF their full sized pies are as good as that then I've found me a new joint.  Fantastic.

Edited by arneharris - 03/May/2010 at 2:54pm
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2010 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Number6 Number6 wrote:

And it is good.  I haven't tried my old nemesis, the pan, but the thin crust was quite good.  Sauce was not tomato paste based, but had actual tomato chunks and was seasoned well.  Crust was clearly not pre-fab (shudder at the prevalence of this), substantial but not bread-y or greasy.  The cheese, however, is odd.  Maybe its mozzarella mixed with scamorza but I couldn't tell.  Lots of it, perhaps more than necessary, but had a nice salty bite that made up for the relative lack of salt in the crust.  Definitely would order again.  

You nailed it.
And that cheese was the most interesting this side of Villa Nova.
Absolutely loved it.  Damn, it was so good I'm worried about a let down.

I scanned the menu in case anyone's interested:

(Click to Enlarge)

Edited by arneharris - 03/May/2010 at 2:54pm
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2010 at 8:37am
Originally posted by arneharris arneharris wrote:

Not even close!  They were open on my way home from work, surprisingly.I grabbed a huge slice of pepperoni  and found it was thin and ultra crispy!!!  Not thick and rubbery a la Dinico, Salerno...best slice of pepperoni I've ever had around here.IF their full sized pies are as good as that then I've found me a new joint.  Fantastic.

I don't know, the slices were placed in paper bags and they were folded. There were people eating in the eat-in side and the pizza looked like rubber (it was definitely not crisp). Can only comment on what I saw and what I ate.

The meatballs were uneatable and went into the garbage; so overcooked and no flavor...they must just be ground beef. With a knife I had a hard time cutting one open to try it.

Other half said the beef was one of the worst he's had.

So if the kinks are that they don't know how to cook yet....I'll let you guys go and iron it out and not waste my money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>