Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Media Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Adams Editor? Staff Reporter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/March/2010 at 2:35pm
Dan,
In today's paper you write: "Josh Adams has been managing editor of The Review for the past three-and-one-half-years, which according to our in-house historian and past Review editor Ken Trainor, is our record for longevity."

Like that's a GOOD thing? Now Helen is stepping down to fill the editor's chair. Helen may be a terrific person and it's great that she is a FoPa resident, but is residency and a pulse the criteria for the position? Ken Trainor is great too, but he also knows that it takes time to get a handle on FoPa's small town charms.

Don't you see the cracks that occur when you play editor roulette? If it takes two years to develop the network, contacts and have an understanding of the town's charms, how does a longevity record of three-and-one-half-years constitute a service to the community?

We get it. The Journal is your baby. You've been there since day one.
The Review is a red-headed step-child. You were never going to charm the Haeger/Walker loyalists anyway?

You go on to say that Josh brought home the trophy for WJinc as best weekly in its class. Whooopeeeeeee! The Review is the best paper -based on the submissions for evaluation- LAST year. IIRC, "in-depth" coverage of the District 209 was one of the things singled out for praise (the Welch boondoggle). Except that you would be hard pressed to find a dozen meaningful stories about Proviso during Josh's tenure and absolutely no follow-up.

You wouldn't stand for that on the Journal, but you "deal with it" for the Review.

Before this turns into a rant...crap, too late...

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/March/2010 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Dan Haley Dan Haley wrote:

Folks--
I'm hoping to find a middle ground here on discussions about The Review. Happy to respond to questions or concerns because there really isn't much that we keep secret here at the paper. And from reading the forum over the months I sometimes get the feeling that there are people who see us as pushing levers behind a curtain.

On the other hand I don't want to appear defensive, like I have to jump in any time people say a critical word about us. There is always plenty to be critical of the local paper over but it doesn't mean that the people working on it aren't sincere in the effort.

Too long a response but a good topic.
Dan Haley
Publisher 

"Start with a cage containing five apes In the cage, hang a banana on a string and put stairs under it. Before long, an ape will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the Banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the apes with cold water.

After a while, another ape makes an attempt with the same result -all the apes are sprayed with cold water.

Turn off the cold water.

If, later, another ape tries to climb the stairs, the other apes will try to prevent it even though no water sprays them.

Now, remove one ape from the cage and replace it with a new one. The New ape sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his horror, all of the other apes attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five apes and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous Newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm.

Again, replace a third original ape with a new one. The new one makes it to the stairs and is attacked as well.

Two of the four apes that beat him have no idea why they weren't permitted to climb the stairs, or why they are participating in the beating of the newest ape.

After replacing the fourth and fifth original apes, all the apes which have been sprayed with cold water have been replaced. Nevertheless, no ape ever again approaches the stairs.

Why not?

"Because that's the way it's always been around here."

And that's how company policy begins."
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2010 at 7:24pm
<crickets>?

I guess Mr. Haley's short attention span is needed elsewhere.

BTW Dan, why did you empty out your blog posts? Now you can come up with new ideas?

vorots View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vorots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/March/2010 at 3:56pm
Kind of off the immediate subject, but still as yet another example of how the Wednesday Journal staff could give a crap about Forest Park. How about those design-an-ads in the last issue. Why would any Forest Park resident care about Oak Park school kids' drawings about Oak Park business (OK three were FP, but none of the kids). Here is an idea, if you want to waste newsprint and paper, how about giving the design-an-ad forms to District 91 and let the kids from the community that the paper serves get a chance to have their artwork appear in the paper. On a side note, I am sure that the business have to pay to have the ads appear in the paper and not all of the submissions are shown...what do the kids get in return for their hard work. The paper gets a great source of ad revenue out of it. I can only imagine the pitch...Hey business owner, we had these kids choose your business out of all of the other businesses in the area. Don't you want them to be able to see their artwork in the paper? You do, great, that will only be $XXX for the ad.

Tell you what, next time help out the environment and leave it out of my paper. Of course this could be yet another reason why I don't subscibe, just get the comp. issues in the mail every now and then.
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2010 at 9:13am
Am I the only one who noticed that there seemed to be a large number of web extras in this addition?  My feeling is that Haley plans to make the Review an outline publication.  I'm sure the Wednesday Journal will continue to have a print addition because OP & RF is SO much more important than FP.

Maybe the West Suburban Journal can pick up the slack for us.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2010 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Martini Martini wrote:

Am I the only one who noticed that there seemed to be a large number of web extras in this addition?  My feeling is that Haley plans to make the Review an outline publication.  I'm sure the Wednesday Journal will continue to have a print addition because OP & RF is SO much more important than FP.
I take this entirely different than you do. The fact that they are doing web extras means they are paying more attention to FP. And did you mean an online not outline publication?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/March/2010 at 9:51am
Originally posted by vorots vorots wrote:

Kind of off the immediate subject, but still as yet another example of how the Wednesday Journal staff could give a crap about Forest Park. How about those design-an-ads in the last issue. Why would any Forest Park resident care about Oak Park school kids' drawings about Oak Park business (OK three were FP, but none of the kids). Here is an idea, if you want to waste newsprint and paper, how about giving the design-an-ad forms to District 91 and let the kids from the community that the paper serves get a chance to have their artwork appear in the paper. On a side note, I am sure that the business have to pay to have the ads appear in the paper and not all of the submissions are shown...what do the kids get in return for their hard work. The paper gets a great source of ad revenue out of it. I can only imagine the pitch...Hey business owner, we had these kids choose your business out of all of the other businesses in the area. Don't you want them to be able to see their artwork in the paper? You do, great, that will only be $XXX for the ad.

Did you even read what it said? It had FP schools listed. Perhaps the public schools of FP didn't want to participate? As you seem to feel so strongly, did you ask the FP Public Schools why they didn't participate?

And I remember doing this kind of stuff when I was in grammar school. It was a fun art exercise as we had a chance to see our art in the newspaper. What's so wrong with that? Or are you one of those people that don't appreciate the arts and how valuable they are to a well-rounded education?
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2010 at 10:48am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Originally posted by Martini Martini wrote:

I take this entirely different than you do. The fact that they are doing web extras means they are paying more attention to FP. And did you mean an online not outline publication?
ditto, pie.
in the past, the review has issued far less web alerts than the journal, so i'm thinking the glass is half full.
keep 'em comin', as news tends not to happen only once a week.
Dan Haley View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Haley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2010 at 11:51am
Folks--
The Forest Park Review is not going to be a Web only publication. No way. No how. First of all I believe in the power of print. Secondly I believe in the immediacy of the Web. Now we've got both. How great is that!
The breaking news e-mails are absolutely a sign that we are paying close attention. In Forest Park they go out to 880 households. That's a lot of reach. You know anyone who wants to sign up, send them our way.
I'll buy lunch for the first person who tells me how to make a nickel off an online only community news site. We make a living off selling advertising. Most, not all, but most of the ad dollars are still in print.
The Forest Park public schools were actively involved in our Design an Ad project. Not all the teachers chose to participate but several did.  We'd like to have more involved next year. And, we could do a better job of outreach to the district. I'd agree with the person above who wrote that Design an Ad is a fun project. Some of you are overthinking this, in my opinion.
And finally, Watcher, what in the name of god are you talking about? Didn't follow the chimp analogy. And I'm not sure what blog posts you've noted that I cleaned out. I tried to do a blog on the Oak Park site about a year ago but it quickly ran out of steam. Possible our Web folks pulled it down to give it a merciful death. But I don't know.

Dan Haley
Publisher
Forest Park Review
rosie View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2010 at 12:17pm

Folks--

The breaking news e-mails are absolutely a sign that we are paying close attention. In Forest Park they go out to 880 households. That's a lot of reach. You know anyone who wants to sign up, send them our way.

So how do I sign up for the breaking emails?
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2010 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by rosie rosie wrote:

Folks--

So how do I sign up for the breaking emails?

It's on their site, upper left corner.

breaking news sign up
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2010 at 1:54pm

And finally, Watcher, what in the name of god are you talking about? Didn't follow the chimp analogy. And I'm not sure what blog posts you've noted that I cleaned out. I tried to do a blog on the Oak Park site about a year ago but it quickly ran out of steam. Possible our Web folks pulled it down to give it a merciful death. But I don't know.

Apes; not chimps. Details Dan. Pay attention.
It's not surprising that you couldn't follow it.

Replace "apes" with Review Editors.
How deep is the institutional memory?
How much of our present S.O.P. goes without question as
"the way things have always been done here"?

In our latest zoning debacles, it was stated that the
reason for the 1998 changes was the building boom of 2-flats that occurred. How many 2 flats were built? As opposed to how many townhouses? Which had a larger impact on density? How many different editors has the paper had in those 12 years? Is it purely coincidental that the hasty changes that have affected LNC took place when FoPa was experiencing a change in demographics?

In 2005 District 91 added on to the schools to meet an expected increase in student population. In 2009 the schools were restructured into grade-level centers; due in part to declining enrollments.
How much coverage has the Review provided on the transition?

The middle-school has some clear abandonment issues. Any coverage on that?

The village has several TIF districts that have been operating for a decade or more. TIFs affect school and park funding which increases the burden on the rest of the property taxpayers. Aside from casual mention of how well the TIFs are working, has the Review covered any of the downsides?

But hey, doesn't Madison St. look Mahvelous!

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2010 at 6:35pm
the review has been covering zoning in FP for quite awhile.
in 2005 melissa lou did a 3-parter and the review wrote two editorials. there were a large handful of other zoning stories. also, for a year or two, the review had up to 1/2 page each week on zoning hearings ala' the police blotter.
in 2006 they covered the wysocki coach house hearings.
in 2007 they covered amy perry's property, 417 circle.
since then they've covered curry, hosty, marani, gaetano, team blonde, 447 marengo - and i don't know how many editorials related to the complications.

we're all tripping on this a bit as the 1998 zoning change did not create the much written about problems - the unannounced and 'revised' 2004/2005 enforcement did.
neither the village nor the review seem to want to go there.

regarding D91, perhaps the review could/should concentrate on this for a series.
regarding D209, i too want a unicorn.

edit: i should add, i'm only a FP residential zoning expert - cannot speak to downtown zoning, except that 1998-2007 were heady times for all. 

Edited by citizen - 26/March/2010 at 6:45pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2010 at 6:51pm
fyi, looking back at the 2005 review stories - when noted, our elected officials date the zoning changes at 1969.
iow, nobody knew. well, almost nobody.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2010 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

the review has been covering zoning in FP for quite awhile.
in 2005 melissa lou did a 3-parter and the review wrote two editorials. there were a large handful of other zoning stories. also, for a year or two, the review had up to 1/2 page each week on zoning hearings ala' the police blotter.
in 2006 they covered the wysocki coach house hearings.
in 2007 they covered amy perry's property, 417 circle.
since then they've covered curry, hosty, marani, gaetano, team blonde, 447 marengo - and i don't know how many editorials related to the complications.

we're all tripping on this a bit as the 1998 zoning change did not create the much written about problems - the unannounced and 'revised' 2004/2005 enforcement did.
neither the village nor the review seem to want to go there.

regarding D91, perhaps the review could/should concentrate on this for a series.
regarding D209, i too want a unicorn.

edit: i should add, i'm only a FP residential zoning expert - cannot speak to downtown zoning, except that 1998-2007 were heady times for all.

And they've re-invented the wheel each time they've run the stuff.
Where is Melissa Lou now? Still at the Journal?
The THEY who covered it in 98 and the THEY who cover it in 2010 have
completely different contexts. The deep backround and off-the-record stuff falls away, leaving plenty of unknowns in the void.

This lets the village say, with impunity, that the 98 downzoning was about two-flats when it wasn't. There's no one to call bulls**t. How it is now is how it's always been...

Keep it going.

Edited by watcher - 26/March/2010 at 7:04pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/March/2010 at 8:46pm
your anger is duly noted :)  solution: get real, sell more ads.

but, yes, i agree the review needs to pull the trigger on this, as the village is playing the inconstancy game - most ingenuously.
when zoning was actively being discussed in 2005, it was mostly reported as the 'intolerable' 3/2 divisive battle. oh noes! five years later and counting...
dang, you'd love some of those quotes.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2010 at 8:52am

your anger is duly noted :) solution: get real, sell more ads.

but, yes, i agree the review needs to pull the trigger on this, as the village is playing the inconstancy game - most ingenuously.
when zoning was actively being discussed in 2005, it was mostly reported as the 'intolerable' 3/2 divisive battle. oh noes! five years later and counting...
dang, you'd love some of those quotes.

Same s**t; different decades. And here we are.
Please reconsider the premise. If that's what constitutes award winning
journalism, it falls short of what's needed.

I'm not sure who's served by it. I'm pretty sure of who isn't.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2010 at 10:18am
your premise is that the review should have the capacity to hire and incent an editor that will stay for years?
and hire additional staff to deeply cover village govt, parks, grade schools, middle school, PTHS, race/diversity issues, housing, business, crime, etc.? and still reflect the personality and character of our charming town, i'm sure.

do you have a proposal to make this happen in a town of 15k?
OPRF (the journal) has 65k - if little RF had its own little paper it would have the same exact issues as FP coverage.
analyzing the business plan of the review, or any of our local businesses, is out of bounds for FPF and is making me quite uncomfortable.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2010 at 10:46am
I have been and will continue to be a subscriber to The Review!

Watcher, The Review is not a citizens advisory group. It's a local paper and like citizen mentions, in a village of 15K.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2010 at 2:15pm

your premise is that the review should have the capacity to hire and incent an editor that will stay for years?
and hire additional staff to deeply cover village govt, parks, grade schools, middle school, PTHS, race/diversity issues, housing, business, crime, etc.? and still reflect the personality and character of our charming town, i'm sure.

do you have a proposal to make this happen in a town of 15k?
OPRF (the journal) has 65k - if little RF had its own little paper it would have the same exact issues as FP coverage.
analyzing the business plan of the review, or any of our local businesses, is out of bounds for FPF and is making me quite uncomfortable.

Out of bounds? Shirley, you jest.
Either you have the attention span of a gnat or you're forgetting something. Who went walkabout over the Golden Steer's wine list or lack thereof?

Earlier on (pg 1) you said "the editorial/news side of newspapers take great pride in NOT factoring advertisers in their reporting. it's an essential ethical issue and the bedrock of an independent press.

Now you seem to be saying something else.

Dan reflects that "We do however think that covering business is an important beat for the local paper. Certainly the comeback of Madison Street and the Forest Park Mall/Town Center are among the most important stories in town over the past decade."

That may be what is important to Dan and our elected, but doesn't offset the loss of community and neighborhood that actually provided the small town charm that was co-opted by the marketing department.

It doesn't answer the question of what the taxpayers have gotten for their ever-increasing costs.

Now, it could just be that the remaining long-term residents should just surrender to the fads and fancies of the business interests. Goodness knows, quite a few eagerly cashed out when they saw the opportunity. But don't belittle the resentment of those who miss the less pretentious days.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2010 at 3:45pm
ah, a debatable, fit-for-print issue. and apparently an editorial disagreement, yes? count me in.
'
altho i've never been an editor of a small community newspaper...i think the review is spending much more of its political capital to save 'the business community' (see: Team Blonde editorial) than they (ever?) have used to save 'the residential community' (see: 417 circle, 447 marengo.)

i responded to their editorial on 417 circle w/a critical LtoEd, as their punchline was, 'oh, well, this owner is getting crucified but that's our law. that we wrote about two years ago. that still hasn't been accounted for. oh, well.'
their 447 marengo story was just plain weak, a token. and they gave the editor of The Post pictorial fodder to make fun of me on facebook. LOL

do i think they're letting the still-using junkies create the residential rehab program? you betcha.
do i think they're pulling their punches on the origins of the zoning re-write? too soon to tell, but looking that way.
that's what Letters to the Editor are for.

i'm guessing the business community lobbies the Review alot - in the form of the chamber, calderone, gillian and individual businesses.
when is the last time one of us picked up the phone and called haley, adams or karakoudas? or wrote a LtoEd?

to answer your question, yes, i think the Review takes the business community more seriously than the residential community.
the question is why? i suggest you ask and see what response you receive.

sincerely,
shirley sharon

Edited by citizen - 27/March/2010 at 6:06pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2010 at 4:12pm

The Review is not a citizens advisory group.

but it can be, via Letters to Ed section. we'll all have to write more concisely, as our town/paper is small :)

OR, maybe we ask/lobby the review to up the game on their online comments section, which at this point is very weak.
no, i have no idea the costs of such a program and moderating.
and only the review would know the present usage, i.e. if it would be a good investment.

Edited by citizen - 27/March/2010 at 4:13pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2010 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

your premise is that the review should have the capacity to hire and incent an editor that will stay for years?

do you have a proposal to make this happen in a town of 15k?
OPRF (the journal) has 65k - if little RF had its own little paper it would have the same exact issues as FP coverage.

Dan reflects that "We do however think that covering business is an important beat for the local paper. Certainly the comeback of Madison Street and the Forest Park Mall/Town Center are among the most important stories in town over the past decade."

That may be what is important to Dan and our elected, but doesn't offset the loss of community and neighborhood that actually provided the small town charm that was co-opted by the marketing department.

It doesn't answer the question of what the taxpayers have gotten for their ever-increasing costs.
i'm not sure how to respond to your thoughts without something more demonstrable or quantified.

a) are you against our madison renovation?
b) or just believe it was too costly?
c) or?

Edited by citizen - 27/March/2010 at 6:09pm
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2010 at 8:14am

I have been and will continue to be a subscriber to The Review!

Watcher, The Review is not a citizens advisory group. It's a local paper and like citizen mentions, in a village of 15K.

I disagree. The Review is absolutely a citizens advisory group, if not THE citizens advisory group.

Defining what the Review is (and isn't)is Dan Haley's prerogative. Well, his and the stockholders of WJInc. Operating from the position of appeasement, whether towards an elected majority power structure or toward advertisers may be an understandable business position, but it is not a healthy journalism model. Lines get crossed that cannot be easily reclaimed.

The bottom line is that advertisers want to put their ads in front of potential customers. Readership, represented by subscribers, drives those advertisers. Readership is CONTENT driven.

Coverage of the schools, parks, library, service groups and other goings on in a community of 15K is mission critical. A revolving door of editors and this latest implied model of a news gathering hybrid, without established connections within the community, impacts the content.

WJInc bought access to the Review's readership, who were used to content that was community based (aka "The Hometown Touch"). The Review was a presence in town. Not just at village council meetings and special events. They had sources and made editorial decisions driven by their 57 readers.

Much has changed since then, but the business model is still viable.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2010 at 9:49am
lofty unsupported hogwash.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2010 at 10:45am

Thus spake Dan's official mouthpiece?

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2010 at 11:10am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

Thus spake Dan's official mouthpiece?
well, i'm just finishing up a letter to helen and dan as to why i think the review's zoning re-write coverage is insufficient.
i'm trying to be concise and think i've got good back-up (facts) for my argument.
is that what you mean?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2010 at 7:32pm

a) are you against our madison renovation?
b) or just believe it was too costly?
c) or?   

B I guess. I don't know. How much did it cost?
At one point the figure tossed around was $6 million and counting.

How much is it still costing us?
What percentage of village revenue is generated by Madison St.?
versus what % of spending?

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2010 at 7:50pm
And what percentage of village revenue is generated by Roosevelt Road?

And what does the village throw the south side of town's way? Nadda.
Dan Haley View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Haley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2010 at 3:39pm
Folks--
A few thoughts in response to the many thoughts above.
-- Do send letters to the editor. We love letters to the editor. If the discussion gets going, the letters section will be the best read part of the paper. You can submit them online. Use the Feedback button in the left rail.
--Please do sign up for Breaking News. Again there is a button called Breaking News in the left rail of our Web site. No charge.
--Sharon's right. Our comments format is awful. The comments get instantly buried and it is a search to find them. Eventually this will get fixed. Probaby not till the first of the year. Take a look at ChicagoJournal.com, the site for our South Loop/West Loop paper. We built this site internally and it is an indicator of where we are headed on moving comments way up forward on our sites. Right now we are overhauling the web sites linked to Wednesday Journal. Those new sites -- OakPark.com and also RiverForest.com -- will, God willing, be up around Labor Day. The Forest Park Review redo will follow from that.
--People are welcome to comment on the business model of the paper. Newspapers are unique entities. Yes, they belong to their shareholders. But a newspaper that doesn't also engender a real sense of ownership among its readers isn't much of a paper. So your ideas and critiques are welcome.
--I have no opinions about wine. I do like the Golden Steer, though.
Dan Haley
Publisher
Forest Park Review
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>