Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Media Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Adams Editor? Staff Reporter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2010 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Dan Haley Dan Haley wrote:

--I have no opinions about wine.
Dan Haley
Publisher
Forest Park Review
very wise.
Truthseeker View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truthseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2010 at 3:42pm
"Anyhow, the implication I've read from one poster is that we are selling editorial copy to advertisers. And someone thinks they have proof. Would love to see that proof.
We don't do that. Real newspapers don't do that." Dan Haley

I have to say I don't believe in the Forest Park Review to report accurately anymore.  The day after the last meeting of the Zoning Appeals board there was a very informative article written by Helen.  Told both sides...the online version even included a PDF with the letter from 2007 ordering them to stop providing personal grooming services.  However since that time it has likely changed since there have been some disturbing developments-

1.  Week 1 after the meeting 3/23.  Noticed The Team Blonde Exception editorial was especially glossy.  Called Team Blonde smart...but hid behind the Village while disobeying zoning...They already had received a letter in 2007 from Mike Boyle telling them to stop providing those services because they were not zoned for it...before they even got big. 
It could not have been Helen who wrote it because many of the points were from someone who did not hear testimony and she was there.  There were way too many holes in the what the editorial was trying to say. 
"Anyhow, the implication I've read from one poster is that we are selling editorial copy to advertisers. And someone thinks they have proof. Would love to see that proof.
We don't do that. Real newspapers don't do that." Dan Haley

It was not the same person who wrote the 3/16 editorial about the Commissioners voting for zoning relief for Gaetano's...
'Well Kumbaya, Commissioner. Instead of putting this behind us, we'd suggest a focus on learning from our mistakes. It is a much healthier approach in the long run.' 

2.  Week 2 after the meeting 3/30.  Noticed a great report about window displays...however the only text...a lot of text was dedicated only to the events around Team Blonde.  Although other store windows had a picture of them...only Team Blonde had the 'feel good' article. 

What happened at Baubo's Garden, Deedee and Edee, M Santana, Afkara Shoes, Todd and Holland, Heels, and Girlicious.  The article did not contain any of these names since it was about Team Blonde...luckily the pictures had captions of what stores also participated.  I wonder how they feel about the 'Window Shopping' Ad.

3.  Week 3 after the Meeting Another mention for Team Blonde in the letter section.  The whole idea is to keep them in a good light until this passes...

Any Thoughts on this?

blog "In some cases after you investigate it is not always true that someone was unjustly served - it is about perception it is about opinion" -The Mayor
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2010 at 10:14pm
truthseeker, it would be best to link to all the pieces you refer to - to help folks who want to follow your thinking.
haley wrote a longish piece on this in the josh adams thread.

i have two tons of thoughts on zoning - both business and residential, and thoughts regarding review coverage of both.
appears you feel there is some favoritism re: team blonde. you could be right, but you've provided no evidence that it is advertising based.

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2010 at 10:50pm
josh adams, writer and son, shares a bit of himself before he leaves for nashville.
http://www.forestparkreview.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=3&ArticleID=4859&TM=84282.66

may the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields,
and may god hold you in the palm of his hand.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2010 at 6:36pm
Hey Dan?

Reconcile your editorial with the reportage regarding The Russian, Marani and Sundry.

"Beyond its private sector angels of that era who bought key buildings and patiently invested in them, Forest Park does not seemingly have a plan for recruitment, financing, retention."

Don't ask; Don't tell?

I bet Pottersville had an award winning local paper too?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Dan Haley View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Haley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2010 at 3:08pm
Folks--
The reference in the edit was not to the trio mentioned. Rather it looked back a bit farther to the start of the remaking of Madison Street when Art Jones and his partners used their own money, brought key but troubled buildings, waited patiently, aggressively recruited key tenants (Two Fish, Todd and Holland) and did first-rate build-outs.
Our news coverage of Troyanovsky, Art Sundry and Robert Marani has been direct and thorough.
Dan Haley
Publisher
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2010 at 7:23am

Folks--
The reference in the edit was not to the trio mentioned. Rather it looked back a bit farther to the start of the remaking of Madison Street when Art Jones and his partners used their own money, brought key but troubled buildings, waited patiently, aggressively recruited key tenants (Two Fish, Todd and Holland) and did first-rate build-outs.

Our news coverage of Troyanovsky, Art Sundry and Robert Marani has been direct and thorough.

Dan Haley

Publisher

Right, Art and friends just salted the mine. The Review just reported the Gold Rush. How convenient.

PUBLIC funds were used. On both the infrastructure and operation of Main Street. How much, by whom and who profited? Minor details eh?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/May/2010 at 10:52pm
Is this the same Troyanovsky in the foreclosures in the back of the Review?
FOCUS !!
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2010 at 7:44am
I would say YES. I believe he is the one behind the Roos mess.

Yep, our village lets all these developers in ala Cherryfield, screw things up and then they go back to their foreign country. Scum. Never liked the Cherryfield guy; always felt he was here to milk us and then leave. Just what he did.
Dunlop Man View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2010 at 9:44am
That's what happens when government doesn't stand firm and protect the general interest, i.e., everyone else, when developers concerned only with their own narrow self-interest ask for code variances and other special treatment.

Those requirements aren't there simply as impediments, they're there to slow things down and allow the government's administrative and elected officials, as well as those effected by developments, to fully understand what's happening and have a chance to raise questions and concerns, and when necessary, require changes.

At least, that's the way it's supposed to work.
piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2010 at 10:39am
Ah, SUPPOSED to work. Not so much here in Calderoneland. Here, we believe everything the developer tells us as gospel and grant variances and blessings.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/May/2010 at 10:55am

Folks--
Dan Haley

Publisher

"There isn’t much that The Post hasn’t covered, world events, local and national politics, the Community Center, the Fire & Police Departments, local schools, families, businesses, events and much more."

Amy Rita
Publisher

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2010 at 10:00am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

the editorial/news side of newspapers take great pride in NOT factoring advertisers in their reporting. it's an essential ethical issue and the bedrock of an independent press.

I guess maybe your claim has been tested. The Park District places an ad for Roos Demo bids and NOBODY on the news side takes notice? Nobody thinks there might be some sort of NEWS to report?

Instead, we get Error ridden guessing and rewritten information?

and after the fact notice of the flood-damage dumpster placements; days after the dumpsters were removed?

Edited by watcher - 08/July/2010 at 10:00am
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2010 at 9:05am
Whooo-Hoooooooooooooooo!

Another Editor for the BEST WEEKLY EVAH!
Read it and weep

A fine Mea Culpa from Danny Boy. Giving Forest Park the kind of
coverage it deserves? Strong community ties based on her grandparents
living here until her father was SIX.

Etch-A-Sketch journalism triumphs again.

piehead View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2010 at 9:16am
Were you expecting Woodward & Bernstein Watcher?
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2010 at 10:19am
Originally posted by piehead piehead wrote:

Were you expecting Woodward & Bernstein Watcher?

Some hint of consistency. A level of appreciation for the function of local journalism and perhaps an admission that the mess were in was, at minimum missed, if not ignored, by WJInc's eyes on the wrong prize.

JM303 View Drop Down
Resident
Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2010 at 5:28pm
Showing your age . The board readers under 40 (if any) probably won't know who Woodward and Bernstein are without a quick google or wiki.

Edited by JM303 - 18/August/2010 at 5:29pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2010 at 9:00pm
welcome, ms. drews. FPR has had a few great editors and we look forward to you joining that crowd.
best to helen and congrats to josh. nashville? :) 
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2010 at 11:14pm
both the review and certain village officials insist on characterizing run-of-the-mill governmental criticism as 'personal.'
very odd, as 99 out of 100 times the criticism is of a professional nature, i.e. the criticism relates to the way local officials do their jobs.
I hope we can avoid this on your watch, ms crews, as it completely derails problem diagnoses and solutions.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2010 at 8:07pm

welcome, ms. drews. FPR has had a few great editors and we look forward to you joining that crowd.

I too look foward to Ms. Drews' take on local journalism. I hope she has a good pair of track shoes. Covering a small town you find out how big small can be.

What I've found of her online work is solid. I'd love to hear the backstory to the censorship flap. A good story on masturbation would probably drive up readership...

Edited by watcher - 19/August/2010 at 8:11pm
bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2010 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

masturbation ???

Where do I send my Yearly payment. ...BCB.. :)
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2010 at 6:53am

both the review and certain village officials insist on characterizing run-of-the-mill governmental criticism as 'personal.'
very odd, as 99 out of 100 times the criticism is of a professional nature, i.e. the criticism relates to the way local officials do their jobs.
I hope we can avoid this on your watch, ms crews, as it completely derails problem diagnoses and solutions.

Principles of Trust

1 High trust among stakeholders significantly improves communication, collaboration, execution, innovation, strategy, engagement, partnering and relationships.

2 When stakeholders trust one another and are not afraid to admit the truth about themselves, even when that truth may not be flattering, then they disengage the kind of political behavior that wastes everyone’s time and energy.

3 Vulnerability-based trust takes courage because stakeholders cannot always be certain that their vulnerability will be respected and reciprocated.

4 Trust begins to erode the moment there is a suspicion about a person’s true motives.

5 One of the fastest ways to restore trust is to make and keep commitments.

6 Trust is a powerful motivation that inspires stakeholders to pursue excellence.

7 Trust is a function of character (do the right thing) and competence (get the right thing done).

8 Trust requires straight talk, respect, accountability, transparency and a willingness to admit and correct mistakes.

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2010 at 8:21am
Originally posted by watcher watcher wrote:

I too look foward to Ms. Drews' take on local journalism. I hope she has a good pair of track shoes. Covering a small town you find out how big small can be.

What I've found of her online work is solid. I'd love to hear the backstory to the censorship flap. A good story on masturbation would probably drive up readership...

In what may mark a new low in burying the lead, Jackie informs us that Katie Drews is leaving. Ken Trainor noted that Josh had the longest tenure as Review Editor. Does Katie now reign as shortest?

Fare well Katie, I'm sure the next editor's already up to speed and will have your four months of notes to work with going forward.

What now Dan? Another committee?

Edited by watcher - 29/December/2010 at 8:22am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2010 at 8:59am
YIKES!!!

here's the quote: "It's a sad day at the Journal/Review. We are losing our beautiful young editor, Katie Drews. Katie, we hardly knew ye. She's going back to her old job, which didn't have the money to keep her around full-time. They got more funding and loyal Katie is going back. She worked for Chicago Catholic News, a rather new online publication, run by young Catholics with a new perspective on events in the church. Good luck, Katie. Everyone here will miss you."

arneharris View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arneharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2010 at 9:54am
Our beautiful young editor?  wtf?
"Ye" never had a chance; she's too catholic. 
oy vey.
"the sickly pale peach colored glare of the street light " - (streaming in backman's window...)
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2010 at 3:21pm
Is there anyone in the WJINC bullpen? Bueller?

Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2010 at 3:54pm
Seeing as it will take most likely all of January to get a replacement in the Review editor's chair, and candidate endorsements will be published just six or seven weeks after that, you can bet the mortgage the Review endorsement in mid- March will be Dan Haley's call. 

We'll see if he's willing to upset a few people in the Mainstreet group.

And let's also watch and see how the Review covers the Marani v Village settlement in January. Superficial editorial pontifiction, or real digging for all the facts?
"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/December/2010 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Dunlop Man Dunlop Man wrote:

Seeing as it will take most likely all of January to get a replacement in the Review editor's chair, and candidate endorsements will be published just six or seven weeks after that, you can bet the mortgage the Review endorsement in mid- March will be Dan Haley's call.

We'll see if he's willing to upset a few people in the Mainstreet group.

And let's also watch and see how the Review covers the Marani v Village settlement in January. Superficial editorial pontifiction, or real digging for all the facts?

What does Dan know of present day FoPa? When was his last journalism related visit? I don't think there is a Main Street anymore. Wasn't it rolled back into the chamber when the funding dried up?

None of this bodes well for an objective press between now and April.

bcbandit View Drop Down
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Muzzle Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/December/2010 at 12:33pm
Sorry to see you Go Katie Drews, I Take all the Sinning that goes around this town, it's time to give a Few Hundred Thousand Hail Mary's for us. :)  

A Catholic doing the News Here in FP? What Next?, A Jew Giving away Money? A Smart Polack?? A Kid That Has not yet Grown hair on his face as a New Commissioner???

Not To mention Nice Talking to you in Person Katie, "May the Force Be with you,,, Always....." BCB...  
I'm Chevy Chase and It's Time for the news.
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunlop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/December/2010 at 2:57pm
Bcb, c'mon.... Jews have a long history of giving away huge sums off cash. Look at the names on the donor plaques of most hospital wings.

And Bill Gates is in the process of giving away $37 or $38 BILLION. 
"I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>