Forest Park Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Media Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Adams Editor? Staff Reporter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Josh Adams Editor? Staff Reporter?
    Posted: 10/March/2010 at 7:44pm
Has anyone else noticed that Josh Adams is now calling himself "Staff Reporter" as opposed to "Editor"? Just noticed it. Are we getting a new Editor or is he playing a few different hats these days? Hmmmmmm....does something stink in Reviewville????
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2010 at 7:47pm
hmmmmmm...why do you use the word stink? do you detect something nefarious?
Cricket View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2010 at 7:49pm
Not sure. Just figured they would say he wasn't editing anymore if he wasn't. Just wondering if anyone else noticed it.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2010 at 8:06pm
josh is not editing FPR anymore. a very recent change, i assume will be formally announced. 
he has moved to Wednesday Journal as a staff reporter, possibly focusing on river forest coverage.

Edited by citizen - 10/March/2010 at 8:26pm
Cricket View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2010 at 8:10pm
That's good for him then, I would think. Not sure how much goes on in RF but in that job it's good to buff up the resume by moving around. I hope he's happy with the move. I wonder who will now cover us.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2010 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Cricket Cricket wrote:

I wonder who will now cover protect us.
me, too :)
helen karakoudas, managing editor of WJInc newspapers, covered/wrote the gaetano story for this week.
she's a teeny little thing, w/a teeny little dog (called Mr. Big) - they both, along w/josh, marched in the parade.

maybe haley will cover the BIG LNC meetin'. :)
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2010 at 8:28pm
cricket - good catch :) perhaps you should apply for the job?
Cricket View Drop Down
Nomad
Nomad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2010 at 8:32pm
Missed the parade this year, work reasons. And thanks but my degree doesn't even come close to the world of Editing. My world evolves around petri dishes and microscopes...much more boring but much more safe I assume.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2010 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Cricket Cricket wrote:

Missed the parade this year, work reasons. And thanks but my degree doesn't even come close to the world of Editing. My world evolves around petri dishes and microscopes...much more boring but much more safe I assume.
i don't know - somehow 'petri dishes and microscopes' sound like compelling skills for FP :)
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2010 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

maybe haley will cover the BIG LNC meetin'.

Maybe he'll respond here as to why he will not cover the big LNC meeting?

Got something to say Dan?

"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
Dan Haley View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Haley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2010 at 6:18pm
Folks,
Happy to respond to the thread about the Review. Just registered on the site so I could do so. I do, though, track what the conversation is about on Forest Park Forums and have been for some while.
In next week's paper we'll announce that Josh Adams has been reassigned from editor of the Review to a staff reporter job at Wednesday Journal, our paper in Oak Park and River Forest. Josh will be reporting on River Forest and the police departments in OP and RF as his main beats.
That opening was created when our long-time RF reporter Bill Dwyer, known to most of you as Mr. D., left the Journal for a job at Pioneer Press. As this came as a surprise to us, we have been scrambling a bit to get reorganized.
None of this is hugely newsworthy, in my mind, as it has been something of a tradition here for Review editors to move over to the Journal.
What is different this time, and of legitimate concern to people who care about Forest Park, is that we are not simply going out into the market to hire a straight up replacement for Josh at the Review.  This tough economy dictates that our company needed to eliminate one position on our weekly editorial staff.
So, what are we going to do? I don't have a 100 percent answer for you. We are still working through the details of this internally. What I know today is that Helen Karakoudas, managing editor of our group of six weeklies, is going to spend a lot of time on the Review. Helen will be covering news in Forest Park -- she wrote the Gaetano's meeting story for yesterday's paper.  We will supplement her with strong, veteran freelancers, and we'll use interns. Helen, by the way, lives in Forest Park.
It is not going to be perfect and it is not my preference. But in this moment it is what we need to do.
Situations like this are always opportunties to experiment a little and try new approaches. So we are open to your ideas on how we can best cover Forest Park and, as always, we welcome your thoughts on our coverage. (dhaley@wjinc.com. 708/613-3301 is my direct line.)
This post is too long, but let me close by saying that I've been working on the Review for 25 years now. I think it is a hell of a community newspaper covering a very interesting town. We're determined to keep our coverage -- in print and online -- strong and vital. We're always open to a call or a visit. If you ever have a question or doubt or complaint be in contact.
Dan Haley

watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/March/2010 at 6:54am
Thanks Dan.
It's refreshing to have someone actually admit they lurk here.

It's worrisome to consider your position that the Review doesn't need an editorial spine. Not surprising, but worrisome.

The litany of editorial "interns" who have processed through the mill is reflective of your parent company's consideration of Forest Park. The "tradition" of moving UP to the Journal is our affliction. The FoPa beat might not be as glamorous as Oak Park or River Forest, but to the people who live here, coverage by trainees is a slap in the face. FoPa is very familiar with that attitude from Oak Park.

Strong and vital is an admirable goal, but has to be matched by commitment.

Edited by watcher - 12/March/2010 at 6:55am
"It is a wreave belief that we already are in Hell."- Tuluk in Frank Herbert's "Whipping Star"
watcher View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Active here since 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2010 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Dan Haley Dan Haley wrote:

Folks,
None of this is hugely newsworthy, in my mind, as it has been something of a tradition here for Review editors to move over to the Journal.

Name two. The tradition has been pretty well established that Review editors move on to jobs that don't require writing the bulk of a weekly newspaper for less than minimum wage.

Lateral moves by one or two of the dozen or more editors since WJinc "saved" the Review does not a tradition make.

Aside from a being way station for Tribune stringers, which former Review editors have moved up in the organization?

backman View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2010 at 4:09pm
In the time I have been paying attention, say the last ten years, Bob Uphues and Lorian Menhennet, possibly more.

Uphues to the Landmark and Menhennet to Chicago Parent. Both WJC papers.

Edited by backman - 13/March/2010 at 5:43pm
backman
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2010 at 11:09am
thanks for posting, dan.
we're most appreciative when folks take the time to explain an issue/new development.
best to josh, helen seems quite talented, and if mariam covers the LNC meeting exactly as i see the situation i'll think she's brilliant. LOL

community newspapering is a fascinating challenge and you've written many, many columns on your vision. i liked last week's Journal column.
keep in touch.

Edited by citizen - 14/March/2010 at 12:04pm
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/March/2010 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by backman backman wrote:

In the time I have been paying attention, say the last ten years, Bob Uphues and Lorian Menhennet, possibly more.

Uphues to the Landmark and Menhennet to Chicago Parent. Both WJC papers.
ken trainor moves around but certainly did the review.
elaine richardson? or maybe she went straight to New City.
there's that other kid - he went to the new WJInc city papers.
whatever. the small papers are always a stepping stone to the bigger ones. not news.

and then we have the newest Post - w/4 full page ads from Proviso Township. or are they  formatted 'news stories?'
and a large 'news story' on the new Currie Motors and Currie buys the back page.
and the third page is a freebee(?) to the mayor.

our businesses are soooooo vulnerable to the political powers. 'hi - would you like to buy an ad in the mayor's 'positive aspects of Forest Park to the people who live here' journal?'
c'mon!!! it's a shake-down.
i'm boycotting the businesses that advertise in the Post and not the Review. enough.

btw, reading the mayor's full page ad on page 3 - all of a sudden, the voice, the style, seemed so familiar - like i had just read a long post by that very same person on FPF but under a different name.
yeah, i'm slow as molasses.

Edited by citizen - 15/March/2010 at 12:06am
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2010 at 9:10am
i despise The Post.
and not for its content nor the opportunities it offers local writers.

i despise it because the only reason it exists is to promote current political power. that's it.
it gets dressed up w/local stories and photos and paid for by local businesses that depend on those same powers to survive.

the game is rigged, the playing field is uneven.
it is no different than a chicago player 'asking' a city employee if they would like to contribute to a 'very good cause.'
it's just a variation on an old, old game.

Edited by citizen - 15/March/2010 at 9:11am
Martini View Drop Down
Pillar
Pillar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2010 at 9:41am

While I agree that the Post leans heavily toward the current administration, I do read it because as you said its content and the opportunities it offers local writers is good.  Not everything in it is political. 

It is not unusual for newspapers to do stories on their advertisers.  According to people I've talked to who have opened new business in FP, the Review will cover their opening IF they advertise for an extended period of time.  Its part of the newspaper biz.  They all do it.

I will continue to read the Post because I like most of its content (I skip the mayor's pontification) and I continue to patronize the advertisers that I always have regardless of whether they advertise or not.  Just as I continue to subscribe to a paper copy of the Review,  because I think we need a weekly.  I may not always (quite often don't ) agree with the Review but I think its should exist.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2010 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Martini Martini wrote:

While I agree that the Post leans heavily toward the current administration...
leans?
having the highest elected official in the village writing p. 3 (w/a pic!) of your publication each and every issue is not leaning, but flat out political.

if amy rita wants to sign her own name to the p. 3 'editorial,' i will agree that The Post leans heavily toward the current admin. 

now i have to go back to my 'how to make friends and influence people' class. LOL
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2010 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Martini Martini wrote:

According to people I've talked to who have opened new business in FP, the Review will cover their opening IF they advertise for an extended period of time.  

i will bet you a very large amount of money you cannot verify this statement that this happened or that it is a policy or practice at the review.
i'll bet you the info you received from 'some people' got muddled somewhere along the line.

edit: above.

Edited by citizen - 15/March/2010 at 12:05pm
D. Dormeyer View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D. Dormeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2010 at 12:50pm
Sadly, the last true Editor of the Forest Park Review was Bob Haeger, may he rest in peace.  The FPReview , until Forest Park buys it back, will never be a Forest Park newspaper as it once was - merely an advertising vehicle for surrounding areas.  The Review hasn't had a finger on the pulse of this village for a very, very long time - with the exception of the heart of Jackie Schulz and the talent of John Rice.  It just is what it is!  
dogcatcher View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2010 at 1:52pm
Thank you !!!Clap
FOCUS !!
vorots View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vorots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2010 at 4:00pm
If it is not the policy of the Review to only run articles on advertisers, then look at what business people they feature one an almost weekly basis. Two Fish, Team Blonde (before the recent events), Baubos...all advertisers. Why does this come as a surprise. You give me money, when I need a quote or to fill some space then I will come to you for a quote or to do some type of feel good article. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is. So Martini, you name the amount you want to bet Citizen, and I will be more than happy to help you collect on it.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2010 at 4:31pm
here's the thing, vorots. the statement martini posted was a serious professional slam, possibly unintentional, but along the lines of accusing teachers of giving high and undeserved grades to the children of wealthy parents. or saying doctors do half-ass surgeries on their non-well connected patients.
at the least it is incredibly insulting.

the editorial/news side of newspapers take great pride in NOT factoring advertisers in their reporting. it's an essential ethical issue and the bedrock of an independent press.

anyway, no one has verified the allegation.
and, i don't have a large sum of money, i was bluffing :)

citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2010 at 4:33pm
maybe an actual newspaper person should weigh in on this issue?
vorots View Drop Down
Citizen
Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vorots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2010 at 5:38pm
But it is easy enough to check. You say that they take pride in NOT factoring it in, but do me a favor. Find a story that has anything to do about a business on Madison Street, or hell any business in Forest Park for that matter since they only cover the ones on Madison Street except for the Cops and Stops, then look at the name of the person who is being interviewed. Then, I am willing to bet that you will find an ad from that person's business in that issue, on within a couple of weeks of that issue. If I am wrong, please let me know but I can't find an example.
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2010 at 6:42pm
no fair, verification goes w/the allegation.

i hear what you're saying, but think we're running into 'correlation is not causality.'
maybe similar to the teacher analogy? students of folks w/means may indeed get better grades for all sorts of established reasons, but not because the teacher is unethical.

imagine you are the newsman/editor in this town - depending on the angle of your story, who are you going to call?
the story could be about nightlife, christmas shopping, home rehab, off the beaten track treasures, or the economy, etc. the pool of choices gets very small in a small town.

all stores/owners are not created equal - some are just not successful. i suppose they'd be called if the angle is failed businesses. 'hey, what do you think you did wrong, or was it everyone elses fault?'

successful businesses advertise.

some owners are much more informed than others - the owner's you mentioned have been extremely active in both the chamber, main street and their own marketing group. 

some owners promote the heck out of their business every chance they get - including picking up the phone to call the paper and/or being available and interesting when the paper calls them.

bottom line - for the most part the newsroom think the sales department has cooties. believe it :)

Dan Haley View Drop Down
Tourist
Tourist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Haley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2010 at 2:58pm
Folks--
I'm hoping to find a middle ground here on discussions about The Review. Happy to respond to questions or concerns because there really isn't much that we keep secret here at the paper. And from reading the forum over the months I sometimes get the feeling that there are people who see us as pushing levers behind a curtain.
On the other hand I don't want to appear defensive, like I have to jump in any time people say a critical word about us. There is always plenty to be critical of the local paper over but it doesn't mean that the people working on it aren't sincere in the effort.
Anyhow, the implication I've read from one poster is that we are selling editorial copy to advertisers. And someone thinks they have proof. Would love to see that proof.
We don't do that. Real newspapers don't do that.
We do however think that covering business is an important beat for the local paper. Certainly the comeback of Madison Street and the Forest Park Mall/Town Center are among the most important stories in town over the past decade. That comeback has been spurred, in my opinion, by some smart moves by the village but mainly it has been driven by the arrival of a small group of exceptionally entrepreneurial retailers. And so, yes, those people who work very hard and very creatively and very collaboratively to promote and market the street and the community get written about more frequently than the mopes who sit in their store all day long complaining that the world is unfair to them. And, not coincidentally, the business people who are excellent at marketing also see the value in advertising their stores.
Since it is Two Fish and Team Blonde and Centuries & Sleuths, and Baubos and Shanahan's and Brown Cow and Healy's and the bank (and certainly I'm overlooking people)  who with the Chamber plan all the special events that have put Forest Park on the map they're going to turn up in our coverage of those events.
So, without apologies you certainly see some overlap between the local businesses that advertise with us and the news coverage in the paper. That is nothing like selling edit space.
At the same time I'm betting that the women at Team Blonde aren't enthused about the news coverage they're getting over the spa services and the 500-foot rule. But it is on our front page again tomorrow and that is just the nature of news reporting.
I'll also point out that The Review, like most papers these days, does run a handful of special advertising sections in the course of the year where the deal is that if you buy an ad you get a promotional story. These sections are clearly labeled as advertising. Our editorial staff has absolutely nothing to do with producing the sections. But that might cause some confusion.
Too long a response but a good topic.
Dan Haley
Publisher 
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2010 at 7:03pm

'mopes.' what a fine word; i'm stealing it :)

btw, ya gotta hit 'enter' way more online than in normal writing. we got no columns.
many would argue that i overdo it...
citizen View Drop Down
Local Authority
Local Authority

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/March/2010 at 8:28am
Originally posted by citizen citizen wrote:

'mopes.' what a fine word; i'm stealing it :)

btw, ya gotta hit 'enter' way more online than in normal writing. we got no columns.
many would argue that i overdo it...
i should clarify - at least on FPF. other online programs seem to pull in the margins more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>